Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 1191

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,410
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    The Conjuring was great. Best horror movie to come out in years.
    I recommended it to my parents and it scared the crap out of my mom.

    I love everything that deals with supernatural or ghost stories but I'm also a sucker for POV movies, hence my appreciation of Grave Encounters.

    Another good POV movie was The Tunnel. It's an Aussie movie so you can add it to the list. It was better than Grave Encounters.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Donegal, Ireland
    Posts
    2,715
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The Conjuring suffered from the classic James Wan problem - very good and scary until the last act and then it just fell apart and became ridiculous. Just my opinion.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,410
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    The Conjuring suffered from the classic James Wan problem - very good and scary until the last act and then it just fell apart and became ridiculous. Just my opinion.
    I totally get it. The whole tied to the chair scene was just a bit over the top but I can let it slide because the entire movie was so well done.
    Gotta remember that this is based on actual events. I haven't read the books written by one of the Perrons so I don't know which events were accurately portrayed and which were sugar coated for the movie.
    I think I'm gonna pick up those books. Could be an interesting read.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,553
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    sorry for double post, but in lieu of working, part of my daily routine is to scour the internet for supernatural horror films that are actually scary.

    i'll go for a little gore, but i got so used to blood and gore working as a nurses assistant in a wound care hospital that it doesn't do much for me.

    can anyone turn me on to some movies that i am missing here?
    Others have already given a few great titles like The Orphanage and The Devil's Backbone; in my other post I talked about The Changeling which is truly creepy.

    Here's a list of ghost story movies I've seen that haven't been mentioned yet; some are good, some are just okay but you may like them:

    Dark Water (2005)
    White Noise
    1408 (I really like this one; John Cusack gives one hell of a performance in this)
    Shutter (2008)
    Drag Me to Hell (Sam Raimi can do no wrong in the horror genre)
    The Haunting in Connecticut (based on a supposedly true story that doesn't have much in common with the movie itself)
    The Woman in Black (2012) (this one I really liked too)
    Saint Ange (2004) (a little French thing that's not too bad)
    The Entity (1981) (another one "based on a true story"; it's quite good)
    What Lies Beneath (2000) (I've always had a soft spot for this one; even more so now that I know that the script was written by Agent Coulson (Clark Gregg) himself )

    And as was said earlier: Session 9 is a must see.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,410
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Others have already given a few great titles like The Orphanage and The Devil's Backbone; in my other post I talked about The Changeling which is truly creepy.

    And as was said earlier: Session 9 is a must see.
    The copy I got had no sound and I never bothered to get another copy. Added it to my watchlist so I don't forget.

    Has anyone seen The Awakening?
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 07-16-2014 at 01:02 PM.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,553
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    ^^
    I have. It's not bad; it has its moments but it's a bit predictable.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I liked scary movies a lot as a kid, but I probably have not watched a modern stereotypical horror movie in the last 10 years or so. I’m not really into ghost or possession or religious or gore horror. But a movie that I still love is In The Mouth Of Madness. And every now and then I will watch the 1st couple Phantasms. I have always liked sci-fi or fantasy or cosmic horror more than the previously mentioned genres. I thought Near Dark was cool when I was young and if you consider Lynch or Cronenberg horror than I like those. And it is funny but I love Kubrick but like the Shinning least out of all his films going back to The Killing.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Top of the Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    4,443
    Mentioned
    349 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha 60 View Post
    I liked scary movies a lot as a kid, but I probably have not watched a modern stereotypical horror movie in the last 10 years or so. I’m not really into ghost or possession or religious or gore horror. But a movie that I still love is In The Mouth Of Madness. And every now and then I will watch the 1st couple Phantasms. I have always liked sci-fi or fantasy or cosmic horror more than the previously mentioned genres. I thought Near Dark was cool when I was young and if you consider Lynch or Cronenberg horror than I like those. And it is funny but I love Kubrick but like the Shinning least out of all his films going back to The Killing.
    good god i loved in the mouth of madness. another one that came out around the same time that i love is lord of illusions

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,311
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    good god i loved in the mouth of madness. another one that came out around the same time that i love is lord of illusions
    Speaking about John Carpenter, his version of The Thing is also one of my top horror films, not to mention sci-fi. I STILL love and an am grossed out by the effects to this day since the first time I saw it 10+ years ago.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,423
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    The Thing scared the absolute shit out of me when I was twenty - yes, twenty - and still makes me uncomfortable. I won't even watch the 2011 remake because I'm just that terrified of the prospect (plus I heard it sucked).

    Some of my other faves:

    Alien
    The 2002 Verbinski Ring. More of a suspense, but I'll play the devil's advocate and say it was superior to the source material in Ringu.
    Dawn Of The Dead
    30 Days Of Night
    Evil Dead 2
    Session 9
    Dawn Of The Dead
    28 Days Later
    Invasion Of The Body Snatchers '78
    Stephen King's It (dated, but way better than the book IMO)

    In terms of videogames, Silent Hill 1-3 are the ones to beat. First film wasn't bad.

    And it's not really a horror per se, and it'll never be made into a movie due to the author's wishes - and that's both a shame and a blessing as it wouldn't lend well to the medium anyway - but Mark J. Danielewski's House Of Leaves has some chapters that chilled my blood. Astounding book.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Top of the Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    4,443
    Mentioned
    349 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    The Thing scared the absolute shit out of me when I was twenty - yes, twenty - and still makes me uncomfortable. I won't even watch the 2011 remake because I'm just that terrified of the prospect (plus I heard it sucked).

    Some of my other faves:

    Alien
    The 2002 Verbinski Ring. More of a suspense, but I'll play the devil's advocate and say it was superior to the source material in Ringu.
    Dawn Of The Dead
    30 Days Of Night
    Evil Dead 2
    Session 9
    Dawn Of The Dead
    28 Days Later
    Invasion Of The Body Snatchers '78
    Stephen King's It (dated, but way better than the book IMO)

    In terms of videogames, Silent Hill 1-3 are the ones to beat. First film wasn't bad.

    And it's not really a horror per se, and it'll never be made into a movie due to the author's wishes - and that's both a shame and a blessing as it wouldn't lend well to the medium anyway - but Mark J. Danielewski's House Of Leaves has some chapters that chilled my blood. Astounding book.
    House of Leaves...last time i used it, it was a BOOK.
    i didn't facepalm you to be mean.

    I was just a LITTLE frustrated to see your post, because i thought a fucking HOL movie had come out!
    @Shadaloo , i REALLY want to finish this book. EVERYONE tells me how great it is.
    But i got bogged down in the lists.

    Any tips?

    loves,
    eleveno

    oh, and by the way, how in the HELL is the IT movie better than the book?
    i kind of feel that books and movies can't really be compared. But i understand that you got more enjoyment out of the movie...please elaborate!!!

    i'm a stephen king (book) fanatic.

    Ok i'm off topic.

    SO how was Rob Zombie's Halloween? Is it just MM slicing people or does this flick actually provide a bit of fear?
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-17-2014 at 08:59 AM.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,410
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    House of Leaves...last time i used it, it was a BOOK.


    SO how was Rob Zombie's Halloween? Is it just MM slicing people or does this flick actually provide a bit of fear?

    I love the general tone and ambiance that Zombie brings to his movies. I personally really liked both remakes.
    On a related note, The Devil's Rejects is one of my favorite. That movie packs a serious punch.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,423
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    I went through House of Leaves in a month. The thing about all the lists, footnotes etc. is that they're fun but just detract far too much from the plot and meander (which is kind of their point). It's worth it skip them on a first read if you're just after the main plot(s). I do recommend checking out the footnotes when the text layout starts getting absolutely batshit insane though, like when they start listing everything that ISN'T in the hallways.

    I really enjoy King's works, but I find sometimes they're a bit more enjoyable in adapted movie/miniseries form (not always - I thought the Fog movie was terrible). Two main factors contribute to my enjoying the It miniseries far more; Tim Curry just steals the show and gives Pennywise so much personality, and the fact that I did not care for what Bev did to keep them together in the sewers - it came out of left field and I thought it tasteless and tacky, and I know I'm not the only one. Glad they omitted it in the miniseries.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Top of the Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    4,443
    Mentioned
    349 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I went through House of Leaves in a month. The thing about all the lists, footnotes etc. is that they're fun but just detract far too much from the plot and meander (which is kind of their point). It's worth it skip them on a first read if you're just after the main plot(s). I do recommend checking out the footnotes when the text layout starts getting absolutely batshit insane though, like when they start listing everything that ISN'T in the hallways.

    I really enjoy King's works, but I find sometimes they're a bit more enjoyable in adapted movie/miniseries form (not always - I thought the Fog movie was terrible). Two main factors contribute to my enjoying the It miniseries far more; Tim Curry just steals the show and gives Pennywise so much personality, and the fact that I did not care for what Bev did to keep them together in the sewers - it came out of left field and I thought it tasteless and tacky, and I know I'm not the only one. Glad they omitted it in the miniseries.
    Most king movies are awful. I haven't seen it since i was a kid, so maybe i should watch again. Fun Fact: the kid who played eddie spaghetti went to my middle school. Not so fun fact....he let it go to his head and he was a fucking ASSHOLE! lol

    Have you seen 1408?
    we heard it's fucking great.

    Secret Window is an AMAZING adaptation of the novella. if you've seen it and not read the novella, i suggest you do. After watching the film, reading the novella is like watching a fucking directors cut

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,410
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Annabelle trailer has been released. Spin-off of The Conjuring

    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/33...-haunted-doll/

    If you wanna see the real doll, here's footage from the Warren Occult Museum.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se_Gg2FHz-U

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Top of the Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    4,443
    Mentioned
    349 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Annabelle trailer has been released. Spin-off of The Conjuring

    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/33...-haunted-doll/

    If you wanna see the real doll, here's footage from the Warren Occult Museum.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se_Gg2FHz-U
    Oh hot damn!
    the conjuring i THINK might be the scariest thing i've ever seen in my life.

    and i was gonna tell you, i also enjoyed The Devil's Rejects, House of 1000 Corpses, and Lords of Salem (as strange as that one was.)
    Zombie has a VERY unique eye for horror and i love it.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-17-2014 at 02:03 PM.

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    203
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Random Horror/comedy/weird shit that sits on a shelf next to me..

    Evil Dead Trilogy (21 dvd variations) sigh...
    Bad Taste
    Brain Damage/Dead Alive
    The Frighteners
    Street Trash
    Slither
    Dead Snow
    Bubba Ho-Tep
    Black Sheep
    Fido
    Drag Me To Hell
    Shaun Of The Dead
    American Werewolf In London
    and so on...

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,707
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I hope it's not too off topic to mention this but have you played Amnesia? If not I highly recommend it.
    I played this game up until I've come across a monster in a room but I'm so scared I refused to go in the room and alert the monster, terrifying.

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,410
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    Random Horror/comedy/weird shit that sits on a shelf next to me..

    Evil Dead Trilogy (21 dvd variations) sigh...
    Bad Taste
    Brain Damage/Dead Alive
    The Frighteners
    Street Trash
    Slither
    Dead Snow
    Bubba Ho-Tep
    Black Sheep
    Fido
    Drag Me To Hell
    Shaun Of The Dead
    American Werewolf In London
    and so on...
    I thought Black Sheep was great! Gory and funny as shit.

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I thought Black Sheep was great! Gory and funny as shit.
    Maybe it isn't so gory but it's definitely horrifying


  21. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,410
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Oh there's another Black Sheep? I can deal with Farley but Spade .. not so much.

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,311
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Oh there's another Black Sheep? I can deal with Farley but Spade .. not so much.
    Not to get off topic but I HATE David Spade. One of the most unfunny comedians ever. Him and Ray Romano top my shit list.

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,410
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I concur on Spade but I am a big fan of Everybody Loves Raymond. One of the few sitcoms that made me laugh out loud.

    *going back on topic*

    I'm definitely watching Session 9 tonight. Prior to this movie, my horror watchlist was getting dry. Most of the movies I have queued have ratings of 5-5.5 on IMDB. This is as low as I can go for horror movies.

    It's tough choosing between Banshee Chapter, Left For Dead or Truth or Die
    I love b-movies but you usually have to go through 8 crappy ones to find a couple good ones.

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,311
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I concur on Spade but I am a big fan of Everybody Loves Raymond. One of the few sitcoms that made me laugh out loud.

    *going back on topic*

    I'm definitely watching Session 9 tonight. Prior to this movie, my horror watchlist was getting dry. Most of the movies I have queued have ratings of 5-5.5 on IMDB. This is as low as I can go for horror movies.

    It's tough choosing between Banshee Chapter, Left For Dead or Truth or Die
    I love b-movies but you usually have to go through 8 crappy ones to find a couple good ones.
    Most of the best horror b-movies are from the 1980's.

    There's a low-budget horror b-movie that was filmed in my no name town's old, abandoned hospital. Ghost hunters in town and the area visit often, people have found scripts from the movie still in the hospital on the floors.

    It's called The Boneyard.


  25. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,410
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I totally agree that the best horror b-movies are from the 80s and early 90s (for a few). I'll definitely check out The Boneyard.

    Over the past few weeks a watched a few oldies.

    Maniac Cop
    April Fool's Day
    Sleepaway Camp

    One that I need to watch again is Chopping Mall. Last time I've seen that movie was like 20 years ago.
    I'll also give you Bone Yard movie

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,311
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    I caught Motel hell on El Rey Network the other week. They recently aired Monkey Shines as well.

    Anyone who hasn't checked it out and has cable, do so. it's a great channel.

    This is probably my favorite line from a shitty b-movie:


  27. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I caught Motel hell on El Rey Network the other week. They recently aired Monkey Shines as well.

    Anyone who hasn't checked it out and has cable, do so. it's a great channel.

    This is probably my favorite line from a shitty b-movie:
    Well, as long as we're on the subject of Silent Night: Deadly Night 2:


  28. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,410
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Watched Session 9 last night. Definitely a good flick. I always liked David Caruso for some reasons.
    Also watched Cat's Eye this morning, which was ok.

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Donegal, Ireland
    Posts
    2,715
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    God, how I love the old Hammer movies.

  30. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,410
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Watched The Faculty and Tucker & Dale vs Evil this weekend. The latter was hilarious! Can't believe I've been ignoring that movie for so long.

    I also watched Oculus which I thought was pretty good.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions