Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Confessions

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    The second time was after listening to “And All That Could Have Been” immediately after being dumped.
    Bit late, but yeah, holy shit. Never ever listen to this song after a break-up. If I hadn't been out walking at the time, I would've broken down completely. Such a powerful song.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The Downward Spiral and With_Teeth were the first albums ever I listened to fully, it taught me that music can be much more than a background noise, nowadays I focus on music and music alone thanks to experience TDS provided me with.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The second time was after listening to “And All That Could Have Been” immediately after being dumped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Bit late, but yeah, holy shit. Never ever listen to this song after a break-up.
    Same goes for Something I Can Never Have. Unless you like wallowing in your sorrow, like I apparently did when I was a teenager.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yeah, that one too. I haven't even dared listening to that song this time around!

Down In It, Gave Up, She's Gone Away and Burning Bright (Field on Fire) all work fairly well for that sort of thing, though.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-28-2017 at 12:44 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I REALLY wouldn't want to listen to "She's Gone Away" after a break-up, so, in other words, I would.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I thought the visuals for this tour were rather weak. However that’s what happens when you put NIN out of their element. They’re an arena band. Despite that, still in my Top 5 shows I’ve seen with NIN.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Trent Reznor and Hope Sandoval have always been my two absolute favorite musicians of all time, but Trent is nowhere close to Hope when it comes to singing.

Compositionally, he trumps her, no question. But as far as singing goes, she's king of the mountain. It's too bad they'll never collaborate. That would be to fucking die for..

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    As much as i like Trent's voice, i don't think it's employed enough, i wish he could develop his singing more.
    But now it's more the question of "what if" rather than "when"... valuable time is lost, it should've been pre-fragile, maybe pre-withteeth. nowadays as he gets older and older all he can improve is digital filters.
    In fact, i'd love to see a release made completely using synthetic vocals.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    That prehistoric Eyes Without A Face clip has some of his best singing ever.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    @sonic_discord
    thank you for that link. i had never seen/heard that one before...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eichalvindore View Post
    @sonic_discord
    thank you for that link. i had never seen/heard that one before...
    Nor have I. To think once I heard a lot, there's a whole new thing

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I hope someone discovers a video of a whole set one day

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    @WorzelG
    likewise...
    i shared this link, as inspiration, with my teenage son who has been toying with the idea of starting a band with some of his buddies..
    he thought it was pretty cool.

@BenAkenobi
    and

@fillow
    i hear what you are both saying about TR vocal and this treasure trove of a singing moment.
    i shared in a convo not too long ago about TR vocals; this was definitely a different sound and feel, adding to a newer rounded vocal appreciation.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    In the last 2-3 weeks, I’ve listened to “Suck” approximetely 17 times. It’s slowly making its way into my top 20 NIN tracks.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    A confession: I was a member of The Spiral... illegally.

Someone I met online in another NIN fan community (that's long gone by now) made an account for me using most likely a stolen credit card. I was young and didn't care much.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    In the last 2-3 weeks, I’ve listened to “Suck” approximetely 17 times. It’s slowly making its way into my top 20 NIN tracks.

Ah yes. There is something about Trent’s whisperings of doing “terrible things to you” that just…. well it pulls on the ol’ heartstrings, doesn’t it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I never noticed that “The Frail” was what was being played in the middle of “The Fragile” until I read about it on ninwiki.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I never noticed that “The Frail” was what was being played in the middle of “The Fragile” until I read about it on ninwiki.
    I didn't notice it at first either, and it took me listening to the Still version of "The Fragile" to realize that.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I was in love with Trent until 2009. I bought every single one of NIN's albums. I was crushed when Trent got married. I thought, Why couldn't it have been me? I plunged head first into a bout of depression that lasted for months. There I said it.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    You were depressed that you couldn't marry a man that you had no personal relationship with in the first place?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    This was long before I knew that the sampled sounds on Mr Self Destruct, The Becoming and Reptile were taken from THX 1138, Robot Joxx, Leviathan and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

I thought the beginning of Mr Self Destruct were samples of gunshots. I guessed that it came from a movie, but very far from the type of scene showed on THX 1138.

For some reason, I also thought the sampled screams on The Becoming came from a Godzilla movie.

As for Reptile, I actually thought that start of it was actually the sound of stock footage of a factory or something of the like.

I also had no idea about The Texas Chain Saw Massacre sample until stumbling upon it on YouTube when looking up live performances of Reptile, and then checking it out again back at The NIN Wiki.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-01-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    This was long before I knew that the sampled sounds on Mr Self Destruct, The Becoming and Reptile were ...
    This is all nothing. As a child, I thought the rhythmic/vaguely metallic and dull sound that enters at about 0:32 in Heresy was a piece of thin sheet metal being shaken in rhythm. I did not really know what synthesizers were as a 10 or 11 year old.

To be fair! It does kind of sound like this sheet metal sound effect vid in the first couple seconds:

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Way back when I was a teenager, I always thought that TCM sample in "Reptile" where it says "Kirk, help" sounded like "shit, fuck."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I bought The Downward Spiral the year it came out and have been listening to it ever since.
    I never connected with "Hurt" until earlier this year.
    No matter how down I've been, I could never connect my depression with this particular song. Something about his pain just didn't resemble mine in this ONE song, so it was always the darkest most touching song every OTHER nin fan has ever heard. I was content feeling that way about "Something I can never have".

This was all until I saw that season finale of Rick and Morty...
    I feel a little guilty about the fact that obsessing over the album for over twenty years, playing the song live in a cover band, hearing johnny cash's masterful version, watching the epic live video on "closure"... none of that put the song on my emotional map.

But when that old drunk turned himself in to the intergalactic cops for the well being of his family, breaking his daughter's heart while saving her life at the same time? And trent starts singing in the background?

It was the first time that song made me cry. And now I get it.
    And now it hits me every time I hear it.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    This isn't much of a confession, but I thought that perhaps it might count. Anyway, I still found myself watching this Came Back Haunted video much more than the actual one, even until now.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Three confessions.

I've only seen Closure and Beside You In Time one time each (however, AATCHB is so overplayed, I can probably never watch it again).

I've never seen the Closure DVD.

I have a copy of the high quality Broken movie burned to disc and have never watched it, mostly because I'm scared. Scared that either it'll be so real that it'll fuck me up, or that watching it in anything other than static-grade quality will render it laughably fake.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Three confessions.

I've only seen Closure and Beside You In Time one time each (however, AATCHB is so overplayed, I can probably never watch it again).

I've never seen the Closure DVD.

I have a copy of the high quality Broken movie burned to disc and have never watched it, mostly because I'm scared. Scared that either it'll be so real that it'll fuck me up, or that watching it in anything other than static-grade quality will render it laughably fake.
    AATCHB is my least favorite of their live DVDs. Unless the Fragile is your most treasured album, I find it gets boring pretty quick. You kind of had to be there, I think.

Closure I could watch every night for the rest of my life and it would still be enthralling. That trilogy of SICNH, Hurt w/ Bowie and the Warm Place montage at the end is absolutely flawless. It's worth tracking down a DVD copy -- usually for about $30 -- for the added footage and ephemera..

Broken won't ruin your life, but it's not for the squeamish. The grainy low-quality gives it the feel of a snuff film, which was pretty much the point, I think.

Beside You In Time...there's really good stuff on that one. That was a great leg of tours that just kind of bled into the whole Year Zero tour cycle/campaign..

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    the end of SUCK is one of the best NIN moment ever SUCK made by Trent SUCK Reznor

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    It's worth tracking down a DVD copy -- usually for about $30 -- for the added footage and ephemera..
    But all of that can also be downloaded for free if you don't need the physical package. It's on archive.org and the official NIN Vimeo account.