Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Confessions

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I'm tired of the "Trent is NIN" attitude. The last time that was true was 25 years ago on Pretty Hate Machine, and even then, the album version of Down In It isn't Trent. I'll maybe say Broken too. But since then?

Since then, NIN has really been a lot of people. Trent is the head and he makes the calls -- he's the director, if you will -- but all of the albums have had a lot of people's blood and sweat go into them. It's his vision, but there's been a lot of people contributing a lot of stuff to bring it to life.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    I'm tired of the "Trent is NIN" attitude. The last time that was true was 25 years ago on Pretty Hate Machine, and even then, the album version of Down In It isn't Trent. I'll maybe say Broken too. But since then?

Since then, NIN has really been a lot of people. Trent is the head and he makes the calls -- he's the director, if you will -- but all of the albums have had a lot of people's blood and sweat go into them. It's his vision, but there's been a lot of people contributing a lot of stuff to bring it to life.
    I didn't mean to imply that he does everything, just that in terms of "core members" he is the defining element.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I didn't mean to imply that he does everything, just that in terms of "core members" he is the defining element.
    sorry dude -- wasn't trying to pick on you at all! just airing my thoughts :-)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @Charmingly Miserable - It's nice to see that this thread worked out very well. It really was a great idea, as some of these types of posts clearly don't fall under the controversial category. I probably would've made this thread, but didn't have the right word for it at the time. Confession is right.

As for another one... I'd imagine that my play count for Nine Inch Nails would be embarrassingly high in some ways, especially knowing that somebody could think and say that I could've used much of that time to listen to/find other bands other bands to listen to... which is true... but NIN just struck that much of chord with me. I still try to listen to other stuff though, and I really was never among being one of the biggest music buffs either. Before music, it was really all about gaming for me.

(And this isn't because I'm ashamed of NIN either, but whatever, as I thankfully wouldn't be alone on having a massive play count of NIN in a place like ETS anyway.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 07-12-2014 at 12:46 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick_among_pure View Post
    I consider everything up to With Teeth to be "real" NIN.
    So, you think most NIN isn't real NIN?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    sheepdean, confess first, comment second

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Whenever I listen to NIN live bootleg resently, i tend to skip Terrible Lie, Wish, HLAH, Gave, THTF and Hurt

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I've never listened to or watched a live album in full

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Most of the time I can only listen to the soundboard bootlegs that are released. Most live recordings just can't seem to capture the sound of the band properly.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, listened to many a bootleg. The albums seem too clean, too perfect for what a NIN show is.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Whenever I listen to NIN live bootleg resently, i tend to skip Terrible Lie, Wish, HLAH, Gave, THTF and Hurt
    I'm the same way, but damn if those songs don't still kill live. EXCEPT FUCKING THTF AND HURT

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Confession: I haven't heard Purest Feeling until about a couple of months ago.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Have you heard Maybe Just Once?

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Have you heard Maybe Just Once?
    Oh yeah. I downloaded it and heard it all of Purest Feeling. I'm not in the dark anymore.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Oh yeah. I downloaded it and heard it all of Purest Feeling. I'm not in the dark anymore.
    Could you not believe that what you feared was finally happening to you? Did it make it hurt? Did it point the finger at your insecurities?

Do you just not understand about those complexities in it's mind?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    As much as I liked Year Zero, I didn't really bother with the ARG. I kept listening to it back to back at the time though, and I at least made sure to dial the number on the back of the album case before it stopped working.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I didn't give two shits about the ARG. I appreciated the effort that went into it, but it just wasn't of any interest to me.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    As much as I liked Year Zero, I didn't really bother with the ARG. I kept listening to it back to back at the time though, and I at least made sure to dial the number on the back of the album case before it stopped working.
    Hell, I have one of the USBs and even i don't give a shit about it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    As for another one... I'd imagine that my play count for Nine Inch Nails would be embarrassingly high in some ways, especially knowing that somebody could think and say that I could've used much of that time to listen to/find other bands other bands to listen to... which is true... but NIN just struck that much of chord with me. I still try to listen to other stuff though, and I really was never among being one of the biggest music buffs either. Before music, it was really all about gaming for me.

(And this isn't because I'm ashamed of NIN either, but whatever, as I thankfully wouldn't be alone on having a massive play count of NIN in a place like ETS anyway.)
    Well my last.fm stats currently show that I listen to NIN more than 3 times as much as the next artist, (just over 10% of all scrobbles) and that's not including me listening to them on non scrobbling devices, so you're not alone!
    Last edited by simonn; 07-17-2014 at 06:48 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I've never listened to or watched a live album in full
    Do you include BYIT as a live album? I know it's not an album per se, but it is a live document of that tour...(and stunning at that).

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Do you include BYIT as a live album? I know it's not an album per se, but it is a live document of that tour...(and stunning at that).
    Yes. I've watched every song from it, but never back to back, and I'll probably never watch March of the Pigs again - I find that song live is best when there, the energy from it is lost in the cleaning up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I sent Trent an invite to my Bar Mitzvah in 1994. (never heard back)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'm not spending the money to get tickets and travel to see the North American Tour this year. It feels strange to let a tour pass me by but after 6 shows I feel like I've "been there, done that".

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Yes. I've watched every song from it, but never back to back, and I'll probably never watch March of the Pigs again - I find that song live is best when there, the energy from it is lost in the cleaning up.
    You haven't got it turned up loud enough then!

What about the Gift, I know that's even less falling under this category, but have you ever watched that all in one go? Between them I'd say I've watched from front to back 15-20 times each, AATCHB maybe 30....mainly Fridays with or after a few beers

Not criticising by the way, just interested!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I have watched the Gift but only once - I went to a cinema showing of it. Since, I might put a track or two on from it, but I can't get the energy of NIN live from a live album. But the 2006 Radio stuff and CRC, I'll listen to all the time, because that's less energy, more music

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i bet about 60 or 70 percent of nin fans haven't heard purest feeling, or maybe just once, or seen the broken movie...sometimes we forget that we are "superfans."

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i bet about 60 or 70 percent of nin fans haven't heard purest feeling, or maybe just once, or seen the broken movie...sometimes we forget that we are "superfans."
    i definitely prefer the term "superfan" to our good old pal bill's use of "true fans".
    a superfan is a fan who is SO INTO A BAND they know as much as they can about the band. anyone else is just a fan, and that's a o k.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Not to mention, there's also a lot of fans that also haven't heard Still either. It's always cool, and pleasantly expected to see them love it at first listen though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not to mention, there's also a lot of fans that also haven't heard Still either. It's always cool, and pleasantly expected to see them love it at first listen though.
    Interestingly enough, when I tried getting my boyfriend hooked on NIN, I gave him the whole discography to see what Halos he'd hear first... He loves Still and Year Zero, and struggles to listen to any other halos...
    Ah, he likes the Quiet seed, too

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    or seen the broken movie...sometimes we forget that we are "superfans."
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    a superfan is a fan who is SO INTO A BAND they know as much as they can about the band. anyone else is just a fan, and that's a o k.
    Not to mention, there's also a lot of fans that also haven't heard Still either.
    I still haven't seen Closure nor have I listened to every NIN remix but I don't think it makes me less of a fan than anyone else and I'm ok with that.