Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Confessions

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    There are 4 good songs on The Slip, 6 on Year Zero and 3 on Hesitation Marks. Ghosts I-IV was remarkable.I've outgrown TDS, Broken and The Fragile.I'm left with Pretty Hate Machine - minus the cheesy songs - and With Teeth (still holds up).The Perfect Drug is still my all-time favorite NIN song. I want to visit a parallel dimension where an album was released during the The Perfect Drug era. In high school I used to say that Trent Reznor was the only man I'd have sex with.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 08-09-2016 at 01:18 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I was skeptical of the "DIVE and SLAM" title, but to be honest, if it was NIN I would have accepted it anyway. I'm very tolerant of other people's creative endeavors as long as I can see where they're coming from.

Also, while Head Like A Hole was my first NIN song and I started listening to NIN in The Fragile era, With Teeth will forever be my most personal and favorite NIN album and era. The aesthetic, the sound, the live set. The whole nine... inches. You know what I mean.

Though, with all the soundtrack work, I think I've had my fill for instrumentals for a good while.

I also really enjoy Deep and 10 Miles High and really wish that they'd both been on The Fragile (or at least the CD version.)
    Last edited by GrayscaleRain; 08-11-2016 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Little addendum

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    In high school I used to say that Trent Reznor was the only man I'd have sex with.
    funny, my best friend and i used to say the same thing. until we both came out senior year, anyway.

and it was a lie within a lie -- scrawny goth dudes couldn't possibly be further from my type. that certainly never changed.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    scrawny goth dudes couldn't possibly be further from my type. that certainly never changed.
    damnit, there goes my shot

(just kidding, i haven't been a scrawny goth guy since high school)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Yeah, and Trent hasn't been one since when he roughly would have had his PhD.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I used to only really like three songs on The Downward Spiral. I still have a tendency to skip "I Do Not Want This" on occasion.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Me whenever I hear 27 Ghosts III:

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Me whenever I hear 27 Ghosts III:

don't ever listen to throbbing gristle or COIL hahahaha

27 ghosts iii is definitely one of my favorites

you know, i'm surprised the songs never got named according to their corresponding images (a la selected ambient works vol 2). it would certainly make them easier to keep track of than the numbers.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I used to only really like three songs on The Downward Spiral.
    Knowing this still got me curious. Which songs were they?

I still have a tendency to skip "I Do Not Want This" on occasion.
    For some reason, I actually used to skip The Becoming to get to I Do Not Want This too, but I now tend to listen to both songs back to back whenever I get the chance/desire to do so, especially right after hearing Still's version of The Becoming which helped me appreciate it more. I always liked it though, but hearing the Still version for the first time really won The Becoming over for me.

As for 27 on Ghosts III, I also tend to skip that a lot too. On the other hand, I still tend to skip around a lot on Ghosts I-IV, but like other Nine Inch Nails albums, it always ages like a fine wine to me. I just love chilling out and daydreaming (As intended.) to that album whenever I'm in the mood.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Knowing this still got me curious. Which songs were they?
    Closer, Hurt, and March of the Pigs. These were basically some of the first songs I heard since they were some of the top songs when I was googling NIN. Since I was exposed to them first, they got a few more listens early helped me to appreciate them more.

However after plenty of listens my top five on TDS right now in no particular order would be. would be Ruiner, Heresy, The Becoming, A Warm Place, and Hurt.
    Last edited by Bachy; 08-24-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I thought "Me, I'm Not" sounded so fucking stupid the first time I heard it. I mean, that chorus, so fucking dull.

Five and a half years later, I almost came in my pants when I finally heard it live.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    If the next NIN album is more Ghosts tracks, I'll be very disappointed and frankly a bit pissed. Don't get me wrong, I love Trent's instrumentals but I need me some lyrics dammit!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I've actually always wished that Down In It and Into The Void ended up on And All That Could Have Been (Live). I still appreciate the way it is though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hated The Big Come Down for a long time. Somehow changed my mind recently

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I only just now got around to listening to NTAE. It's pretty fucking good.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I absolutely do not like, and can not enjoy pre- end-90's NiN Live recordings. I just cant stand it. This includes the woodstock performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ripe (With Decay) is my favorite NIN song.

I still have a tendency to skip "I Do Not Want This" on occasion.
    Same. It makes me feel a bit dirty to skip it because it's a concept album and I know how important that track is to the plot of the album, but same.
    Last edited by CaptainSelection; 06-01-2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: vague

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSelection View Post
    Ripe (With Decay) is my favorite NIN song.

Same. It makes me feel a bit dirty because it's a concept album and I know how important that track is to the plot of the album, but same.
    the first half of your post is great, because i also love that song.

the second half of your post is confusing. of all the songs on TDS, "i do not want this" has some of the most direct plot development and is integral to the story of the album.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The Still version "Something I Can Never Have" ruined the PHM version for me, PHM version feels much less honest while the Still version is so fucking raw, you can pretty much hear Trent crying in it. I can't listen to PHM version anymore, I always skip it when I listen to PHM

Not The Actual Events became my most listened album on Google Play with over 500 listens on Branches/Bones. It was my first album I saw a release of and was hyped for.

Adding to the above's point, I am a pretty recent NIN fan, I must have been a NIN fan for 1 or 2 years, around after David Bowie's death.

The Donward Spiral was the first album I listened from beginning to end, not just first NIN album first album in my life.

With_Teeth was the first album I ever bought with my own money.

Not The Actual Events is the first album/EP I ever pre-ordered.

I think that The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, Year Zero, Hesitation Marks and Not The Actual Events are examples of Trent being at hist best.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    In the early 2000's i used to used MTV2 and Kerrang music channels to find new music. I caught a live version of Hurt and the next day i went straight out to get whatever album it was on. After rummaging through the NIN section i found it on the Downward Spiral (thanks in part to be able to open the box as there wasn't a track listing, i didn't have internet access to check) and bought it and listened to it that night.

The Downward Spiral remains the only album i have ever bought and returned! I hated it the first time i heard it, so much so i took it back the very next day!

It was over 2 years until i revisited NIN (thanks to the perfect drug being used on a UK Vodafone advert) and i managed to get into TDS. And today it's one of my all time favorite albums.

...it's funny how time changes you

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I never want to see Find My Way live again

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I really hated NIN when I first heard it. It was around 2004 and I bought AATCHB.L. because...now it gets embarrassing...Evanescence mentioned NIN in an interview I read...a german "goth" magazine featured NIN around that time and I saw a picture of Trent with his emo haircut and thought he would make nice emo music. So I went to the music store and bought the CD, went home and put it in the CDplayer. I fucking hated it. It was so loud and strange.
    The CD went in the closet and collected dust.
    6 months I moved with my parents and was too lazy to unpack all my boxes so I grabbed the first CD I found and put in the player. It was AATCHB.
    I pressed "shuffle" and hurt started playing. That's the moment I fell in love.
    From this day on I loved every single song and don't ask me why...it just happened.

Still wish Trent would make an emo album btw...like Hawthorne Heights or Silverstein with his voice and lyrics <3

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detunez View Post
    I absolutely do not like, and can not enjoy pre- end-90's NiN Live recordings. I just cant stand it. This includes the woodstock performance.
    Why not? some of them have awful sound, but there are others that are awesome!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I have never listened to any of the remix albums (except for a few songs on YZR).

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i wish someone would gnaw my faded nin tattoo off my calf.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alfonso99 View Post
    Why not? some of them have awful sound, but there are others that are awesome!

There is something i personaly do not like about that live era of nin and i cant put my finger on it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I used to skip "Heresy" whenever it popped up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubeninphoenix View Post
    I have never listened to any of the remix albums (except for a few songs on YZR).
    You best fix that soon, son . Also, the US version of Further Down the Spiral is one of the best things in NIN's entire discography

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarktrent View Post
    the US version
    that's a funny way of spelling the UK version.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcpunk View Post
    that's a funny way of spelling the UK version.
    But friendo, the US version is better as a whole. The Heresy and Ruiner mixes are very cool but they're no substitute for Self Destruction Part 2 and The Beauty of Being Numb. I've also been spoiled by the video of that live performance of Hurt, I feel like I'm missing something by only listening to the audio.