Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Confessions

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    I've never even heard OF that one.
    It's the Reptile demo on the second disc of TDS deluxe edition.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Oh. Well I've probably heard that one without knowing it, then.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Liar is the demo of Reptile, most easily available on TDS DE - which also has Heresy and Ruiner's demos

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    While I'm on a roll, I've never listened to Purest Feeling or Maybe Just Once, either.
    You are going to LOVE Maybe Just Once. It should be the first track on NIN's eventual greatest hits. (I know it's not a "hit" but neither are 80% of the other songs that'll make the greatest hits record, so shut it, nerds.)

@kleiner352 Separator is definitely the only song on the record I found worth anything, so I guess I'm with you on that. I also think Supercollider was better than every non-Separator track. Those two songs are my only takeaway from TKOL-era.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I admit I've never heard the Tetsuo theme, either. I heard some of the Quake soundtrack, but it was years ago and I have no real memory of it. And I don't know what "Supercollider" and "Separator" and "TKOL-era" are.

Excuse me while I go curl up in the corner and cry in shame now.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    I admit I've never heard the Tetsuo theme, either. I heard some of the Quake soundtrack, but it was years ago and I have no real memory of it. And I don't know what "Supercollider" and "Separator" and "TKOL-era" are.

Excuse me while I go curl up in the corner and cry in shame now.
    Supercollider, Separator and TKOL-era are all things by the band Radiohead. As a NIN fan, don't feel upset. As a music fan, check out Radiohead. A lot of people love them (I'm one of them). Trent actually said around 2010 that for a while he wondered if he should've released The Fragile as two separate albums one after the other like Radiohead did with their Kid A/Amnesiac duo, with all of Amnesiac's songs being from Kid A's recording sessions.

The Quake soundtrack is great but largely has a lot of long stretches of purely atmospheric sound, so it's okay if a lot didn't stick. The main theme is certainly the most easy to remember.

Since so many of you have neglected the noisiest thing Trent's released since FDTS, here's a link that leaves no excuse:

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    It's a demo of Reptile

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    In the last 24 hours, I have listened to Tetsuo theme, The Perfect Drug, and I'm Afraid of Americans... All for the first time.
    It does take a bit more effort to track down songs that weren't on a Halo (unless you count the TDP remixes).

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    It does take a bit more effort to track down songs that weren't on a Halo (unless you count the TDP remixes).
    Or just look them up and hit play on YouTube...

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    @Sarah K - go listen to Maybe Just Once right now! You'll agree that it should've been on Pretty Hate Machine.

Along with anyone else who hasn't heard either Maybe Just Once or Purest Feeling. The former is a must though:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    heard every song on PHM but have never ever listened to it start to finish - don't actually rate it that highly

could die a happy man never having heard closer again. Used to love it but it being played mercilessly at every single bar or club that's in any way alternative, every single weekend for the past million years has soured it

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    heard every song on PHM but have never ever listened to it start to finish - don't actually rate it that highly

could die a happy man never having heard closer again. Used to love it but it being played mercilessly at every single bar or club that's in any way alternative, every single weekend for the past million years has soured it
    PHM sounded dated the first time I heard it (in 2008). Closer doesn't have any of that 80s baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    @Sarah K - go listen to Maybe Just Once right now! You'll agree that it should've been on Pretty Hate Machine.
    Much as I like PF and MJO, they don't just have 80s baggage, they are the 80s. With a theoretical PHM rework they might fit in, but not in that form.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Much as I like PF and MJO, they don't just have 80s baggage, they are the 80s. With a theoretical PHM rework they might fit in, but not in that form.
    You say that like it is a bad thing! I'm still waiting for someone to uncover a full video of The Urge with Trent covering old 80s classics

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    You say that like it is a bad thing! I'm still waiting for someone to uncover a full video of The Urge with Trent covering old 80s classics
    Trent doing Vienna Calling, amirite

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

Well poop on you.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    My confession is of a more personal nature.

When NIN were out and about on their Wave Goodbye tour in 2009 and the band were graciously meeting and greeting with people whom donated to the Eric de la Cruz (Not Avery, thank you @Hazekiah ) very cause, I was lucky enough to catch up with them for the Singapore show at Fort Canning Park. I knew there was an opportunity to have an item signed, but I really had no IDEA what to choose so in the end I didn't choose anything special and I went in with a TDS deluxe package thinking that will do. There were some pretty cool items being produced for autographing at the time I must say, and I was quite impressed! And a little ashamed. Once it came around to my turn at saying a nervous 'hi' and producing something for signing I opened up my shoulder bag and instead of reaching for the CD, I grabbed my headphones instead. These weren't high range headphones either, they were a pair of mediocre Sennheiser eH 250.
    So my confession is: I took no measure to protect the signatures and every one of them but TRs (with a nifty hand drawn NIN logo) have all but faded/worn away. I'm fairly sure this makes me a shitty fan.
    Last edited by somethingelse; 10-11-2015 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling and stuff

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I'm sure that I'm not alone here, and this isn't really that much of a confession, but I still pronounce Copy Of A with the letter A in mind, as opposed to the actual word. I think I pronounce the word when I'm speaking about it though, but that hasn't been an issue since I don't really have that many people to discuss Nine Inch Nails with in real life.

Anyway, yes, it still throws me off from time to time, until actual song reminds me not to say it that way. Oh, and sorry if I repeated myself, as I have a feeling that I've already mentioned it. However, it just occurred to me again, because I still caught myself doing that.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-28-2015 at 02:37 PM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I'm sure that I'm not alone here, and this isn't really that much of a confession, but I still pronounce Copy Of A with the letter A in mind, as opposed to the actual word. I think I pronounce the word when I'm speaking about it though, but that hasn't been an issue since I don't really have that many people to discuss Nine Inch Nails with in real life though.

Anyway, yes, it still throws me off from time to time, until actual song reminds me not to say it that way. Oh, and sorry if I repeated myself, as I have a feeling that I've already mentioned it. However, it just occurred to me again, because I still caught myself doing that.
    I do the same thing but I'm French Canadian so I have an excuse. Eh!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i bought tickets to a wave goodbye show at the palladium in hollywood and never went.

i had plane tickets and a room booked and everything.

i wasn't sick, no obligation, no reason at all other than i'd just left los angeles for work and didn't want to go back right away.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    i bought tickets to a wave goodbye show at the palladium in hollywood and never went.

i had plane tickets and a room booked and everything.

i wasn't sick, no obligation, no reason at all other than i'd just left los angeles for work and didn't want to go back right away.
    Do you have money growing trees in your garden or something?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Do you have money growing trees in your garden or something?
    at the time, kinda. would never happen post-mortgage.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I'm sure that I'm not alone here, and this isn't really that much of a confession, but I still pronounce Copy Of A with the letter A in mind, as opposed to the actual word.
    I have that problem constantly. Since the day I first heard it I've been wishing they'd spelled it out as "Copy of a" like it's supposed to be.

(Not that it stopped me from making a lame DOS joke for my custom user title that's definitely pronounced as the letter A.)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I have that problem constantly. Since the day I first heard it I've been wishing they'd spelled it out as "Copy of a" like it's supposed to be.

(Not that it stopped me from making a lame DOS joke for my custom user title that's definitely pronounced as the letter A.)
    Making a niche joke in your user title? How ridiculous

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the older i get the more i appreciate broken.

even after 20 years i still pick out new things in the mix on each listen.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I still feel bad for getting too caught up with genres as I did on ETS back in 2004. (It also left me feeling shameful, and not just for being called out on it back then, but also due to how ignorant, stubborn, arrogant, presumptuous and argumentative I was being at the time.)

Seeing the conversations about Nine Inch Nails and genres and labels has helped further open my mind on that matter, and reminded me exactly why I shouldn't have gotten too caught up with genres like that to start with. It was also nice to see that Trent Reznor himself also stated he never claimed that Nine Inch Nails was just entirely industrial music either, even as far back as 1991. I've already known that for quite some time, but I used to get so caught up with genres to the point that I thought that it was always just a matter of seeking good genres over bad genres, or that other genres were always far more superior or inferior to the other, as I used to be one of those fans that just wanted more Broken and The Downward Spiral albums, and wondered why Trent just didn't stick to those sounds and styles. (As I also had the mindset of heavier and faster always meaning better.) I've thankfully been over that though.

However, I'd still think that would be cool, especially if done in a different way. It's kind of why Year Zero is one of my most favorite post-The Fragile albums too, especially when done live. Then again, Nine Inch Nails always had a way to add more panache to all their songs, as I've always enjoyed how much heavier songs from Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth sounded, which is also no wonder why he also worked wonders with Hesitation Marks songs live as well. (As he always did.)

Oh, and not that I was disappointed by the likes of The Fragile and With Teeth either. I also appreciate those albums a lot more now, which most likely says a lot, as I loved those albums a lot back then too.

I suppose this is a NIN confession, but it's also a general music confession as well. I guess it just boils down to individual preferences and what sounds good to yourself altogether, as that's what really matters in the long run. I also thought that the same could go for ranking albums too. It's clearly okay to prefer newer albums over older ones too. Then again, I was never really against that. I just found ranking albums to be just a little bit more fun than serious though, but at least I suppose it's also good to accept that it's obviously possible to prefer newer works over older works too. (Since it seems to usually be the other way around when it comes to older material/works, and not just with music, but with movies, TV shows and video games, etc.)

Anyway, yes, I was absolutely wrong. I'm not too sure if being 18 at the time is a good enough excuse/defense though, or perhaps it is?

In middle school and high school, I was also caught up in the "Rock versus Rap", "Rock versus Pop" and the "Punk versus Metal" arguments, but that actually seems like a normal phase for some people. (Which I've also been completely over for quite some time as well, and thank goodness for that. It just adds more reasons as to how and why jumping the bandwagon is bad/goes bad too.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-22-2015 at 12:41 PM. Reason: It's mostly a NIN confession, but it also turned into a general music confession.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somethingelse View Post
    Not of the phallic variety. I mean how can you not?
    holy shit lol

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I do not understand "head like a hole". I am not particularly bad at english language, but... "like a hole"?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    As in: vacuous, empty, draining of vitality.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Head like a vacuous vitality
    black as banality
    No chance in hell
    this song could ever be ballad-y

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    This feels like it probably should be confession, so I thought that I'd post it here. I suppose part of it feels controversial, since it would most likely never happen, but I'm sure there's a chance that lot of fans might actually like the mere thought of it, at least like it as something to imagine that is.

For quite some time, I've always felt that seeing Nine Inch Nails touring with Killing Joke would probably be like one of the coolest things ever. I'd be so stoked to see Trent Reznor and Jaz Coleman on the same night.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 07-15-2015 at 08:56 AM.