Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: deadmau5

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

deadmau5

New double album...just saw the track listing, including a HTDA remix and a NIN remix. Huh!

Aside, I'm on a big deadmau5 kick. Some great shit.
    Last edited by Amaro; 06-16-2014 at 11:53 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    boo!
    it's house.
    no offense, but i just flat out can't stand housey music.
    you can find me in the small tent where the drums and the bass reign

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    For me there's a fairly clear purpose to it--generally for doing tasks that I could use a mental push in, where I usually don't feel much of an emotional tie to the sound (there are some songs that 'get' me though, on the 'soft' side). I tend to appreciate entrancing moments from whatever the genre is, so naturally I'm comfortable here.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Strange, i thought there was a thread already.

I'm currently stuck on Infra Turbo Pigcart Racer from the new album, love that track! very 80s Retro.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The NIN and HTDA remixes were uploaded to his soundcloud over a year ago. I like his version of Ice Age WAY more than the original. It is not near as repetitive. I actually replaced the original with it in my Itunes. God I hate that song!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY View Post
    The NIN and HTDA remixes were uploaded to his soundcloud over a year ago.
    I don't think those were the final versions though, were they? I haven't heard the album yet.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY View Post
    The NIN and HTDA remixes were uploaded to his soundcloud over a year ago. I like his version of Ice Age WAY more than the original. It is not near as repetitive. I actually replaced the original with it in my Itunes. God I hate that song!
    I said the same thing about Deadmau5's remix of Ice Age, so much better.
    My comment got facepalmed.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Rolling Stone says the new Deadmau5 album is a NIN-a-thon. Can anyone confirm this?
    First time I've read something that makes me want to actually check Deadmau5 out.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    It's not the usual thang...I can tell that much. It appears more mixed up than usual, lots more delicate space... (First track is standard deadmau5 dope though, definitely.)

But I can't say whether or not I'm that into it yet because my fucking computer iTunes, iPhone "iTunes", and burning the files to a CD--almost all skip somewhere into the next song. Goddamn killing me. (I believe this is an iTunes issue.)
    Last edited by Amaro; 06-22-2014 at 08:20 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    so.... I really dig this

the nin-ness is overblown to be honest, in my opinion

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    the NIN is pretty noticeable.
    I like a few tracks on the album. Somewhere Up Here and Errors In My Bread are the two I currently enjoy.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I kind of want to pull 4 tracks out of this album and post it in the main NIN forum as an unspecified "leak." Most people would believe it if they didn't already know.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I kind of want to pull 4 tracks out of this album and post it in the main NIN forum as an unspecified "leak." Most people would believe it if they didn't already know.
    "Creep" is easily the closest (ignoring the remixes) to a full-on NIN song and could totally pass for a "leak," like you say. But it's a sort of interesting contrast -- what makes Reznor sound like Reznor? The sort of cut-and-paste style of piano phrasing (especially on Ghosts and HTDA) gives it feel like is subtly unlike what Deadmau5 is up to. I find it's very rare on NIN material for the piano to feel straight up like someone playing, but more like a collage.

Either way, cool stuff

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    "Creep" is easily the closest (ignoring the remixes) to a full-on NIN song and could totally pass for a "leak," like you say. But it's a sort of interesting contrast -- what makes Reznor sound like Reznor? The sort of cut-and-paste style of piano phrasing (especially on Ghosts and HTDA) gives it feel like is subtly unlike what Deadmau5 is up to. I find it's very rare on NIN material for the piano to feel straight up like someone playing, but more like a collage.

Either way, cool stuff
    In order of most passable:

Coelacanth II - The Fragile/Ghosts hybrid? Maybe some Still too?
    Silent Picture - The Fragile-era
    Errors In My Bread - Ghosts-era
    Ira - GWTDT demo that was a bit too Ghosts for the movie.
    Somewhere Up Here - it's like 90% reznor with a dash of deadmau5 (mostly just the ethereal female vocal sounds). Possibly a Ghosts-era track that had a bit too much going on to fit into the album.

Creep was way too Aphex Twin sounding for me to think of Reznor.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 06-30-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, there has not been a post on here for the past 3 or so years (as of December 2017) but while(1<2) is easily the most creative and exciting sounding album he has ever released, that album has held a huge impact of my life, and I can say that that album is my personal favorite album of all time. I am listening to some of the new material he has been sharing on his live streams and I sure hope the new album will be a record breaking one as far as I can tell. Oh and one more thing, I keep thinking about Trent and Joel collaborating in the future just because one Trent has mentioned his name on the HTDA album (because of the Ice Age remix I am going to assume) and also how much Joel is so influenced by whatever Trent has put out there. I think it will be super cool to listen to something made by both Trent and Joel themselves, but we will see what the future holds.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    This thread is crickets...

Saw him play the HOB in Boston last night. His live show is absolutely awesome. If you have the opportunity I recommend seeing him on his current tour with the newest Cube set up.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    See one of his Test Pilot techno sets if u can too. Blistering stuff.