Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Gorillaz

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    I don't like Humility.

Sorcererz and Hollywood are fucking great.

Tranz is so fucking amazing that it's up there to me with the Demon Days era; different style, obviously, but great nonetheless.

The rest of the record just went by for me, nothing too annoying or amazing. Then again, I'll need to re-listen the last 6 songs, because I'm so hooked on these 3, that I did not even bother listening to the others too much.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Definitely enjoying this album way more than Humanz, which I just could not get into after many tries. The Now Now reminds me of The Fall but with stronger tracks. This is what Humanz was missing. If he mixed The Now Now and Humanz up, it would have been a stronger record. Their self titled debut will always hold a special place in my heart and probably will never be topped. I am just happy Damon delivered something that is at least better than Humanz and The Fall.

1 Gorillaz
    2 Demon Days
    3 Plastic Beach
    4 The Now Now
    5 The Fall
    6 Humanz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I didn't realize people hated Humanz so much. I thought a good chunk of that album was solid. Other songs, kind of forgettable.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Humanz was just a really bloated album. The best of it was amazing but getting to the best of it felt like such a slog and having so much material plus all the interlude tracks made it get bogged down too often, and then most of the best songs were bonus tracks tacked on at the end. If you cut it down and resequenced it you’d have a fantastic album but there’s too much there, it’s exhausting. I’m hyped to hear this new one and think the brevity of the tracklist is going to be a good thing for it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Humanz has it's moments but it's definitely bloated for sure. The lack of Damon on vocals was noticeable. Can't stand that Vince Staples track at all. The bonus tracks are disposable. This album is almost the complete opposite of what got me into Gorillaz.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I completely forgot about the bonus songs that were on other editions of the album. Yeah, you're so right. There was just too much. And it sucks because so many of those bonus tracks were way better than what was on the actual album.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I found the bonus songs to be kinda boring. Worse than the album. Like they were cut from the base album for a reason.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Well, at least this new album is good. It leaked today. Really liking it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I read that a lot of this album was written on the road, which is why the album sounds like 'The Fall II' to me. That's not a knock - I love that album. Very stripped down and very catchy stuff. Plenty of soul on it too. 'Humility' has grown on me a lot, and 'Sorcererz' 'Lake Zurich', 'Fire Flies', and 'Souk Eye' are all fantastic. Growing on me with every listen.
    Last edited by Mr. Blaileen; 06-29-2018 at 07:32 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I listened to the new one when the lower quality leak came out two Fridays ago and even after revisiting it again today, I still think there's just not a lot there. Some fun moments, but haven't really been able capture any real magic since Plastic Beach in my opinion.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finally had a chance to listen to the vinyl... to my ears, it sounds more like a follow up to Plastic Beach than to Humanz. This is not a bad thing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Back on a big Damon/Gorillaz kick! So let's talk...

What's everyone's thoughts on the new The Good, The Bad and The Queen album Merrie Land? It's pretty morose like the last album, but I'm really digging it! It's always impressive to me how prolific Damon is.

Does anyone listen to the Hallelujah Monkeyz podcast? They recently had Cass Browne (Gorillaz lore writer) on to discuss his involvement in Phases 1-3, as well as shedding new light on how Phase 3 fell apart and scrapped plans, I recommend fans listen to it, despite 1 of the hosts having a slightly annoying voice.

Also, what are people's thoughts on the non-album Humanz tracks from the Super Deluxe version? After giving them a listen, while they are interesting, none of them feel like must-haves or things that should have made the proper album. Also, Sleeping Powder is probably my favorite track to come out of "Phase 4." Anyone else feel this way?

Among the 3 latest Damon projects, how would you rank them? (Humanz, The Now Now, Merrie Land)
    Here's mine, though I enjoy them all:
    1. Humanz
    2. Merrie Land
    3. The Now Now
    Last edited by The Doctor; 12-12-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I had missed "The Fall" when it was first released, so I made a priority to try and grab this RSD release of it. I was lucky and did so... and I've given it a few listens now.

I dig it. Has a nice flow to it (but not as thematic as previous albums... well, I mean I guess the theme is travelling across the lower 48...).

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Last decent Gorillaz album was Plastic Beach. The rest were forgettable for me.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    yeah that new song sucks.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The Fall was the last record that actually felt Gorillaz to me. Humanz should have set it off again, but fell so flat on its face. The Now Now has to be the most forgettable album from them for me since I literally forgot it came out after this new project came to light.

New song, I can dig it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

so I was thinkin' to myself, "Hey, this sounds very 1980s... oh, Peter Hook, right..."

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

I kind of want it but I mostly don't. I'm sure it would be nifty cool beans but it isn't a priority for me.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    The Song Machine material they released so far is their best music since Plastic Beach. Keep going please.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    The Song Machine material they released so far is their best music since Plastic Beach. Keep going please.
    +1
    Agreed

I didn't like Humanz at all. Found it bloated. It just didn't grip me at all.

I would like to see Gorillaz collaborate with Xxxchange and Spank Rock, perhaps get Amanda Blank in on it too. YoYoYoYoYo is one of my favorites albums.
    Last edited by neorev; 05-26-2020 at 05:50 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Humanz was so-so, but "The Now Now" is boring AF, not excited, but will check the new album...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I honestly like The Now Now as much as Plastic Beach

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New single with Robert Smith? Yes please.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    pretty sweet, but man: £222.99 GBP? that's a lot of stuff sure but that's a lot of monies too.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    pretty sweet, but man: £222.99 GBP? that's a lot of stuff sure but that's a lot of monies too.
    I'm trying to decide if I really want those 7" with the instrumentals on them...