Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Star Fox

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Star Fox

I've still been playing Star Fox 64 the most out of all of them, and Star Fox and Star Fox 64 are still my most favorite ones so far. I've regrettably missed out on Star Fox Adventures, but will remind myself to get it some day. Instead, I just went straight to getting Star Fox: Assault, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as Star Fox 64, but I still loved its multiplayer feature. I sort of forgot about Star Fox for a while, but Star Fox 64 3D really caught my attention. After devoting so many hours to the original, that might even be the very reason for me to get a Nintendo 3DS.

As for the latest news on Star Fox, just when I thought there wouldn't be any upcoming Star Fox games in the near future, it turns out that there might be a new Star Fox game coming out next year for the Wii U.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_%28Wii_U%29

I'm also thankful for that, because I've missed Star Fox a lot in the Nintendo Wii era.

http://starfox.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://starfoxwiki.info/wiki/Lylat_Wiki

http://www.starfox-online.net/

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-20-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    jesus christ at prices of 64 version -

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Video-Games-...+fox+64&_sop=3

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

Ouch! I remember a couple years ago, the prices were set around $10-$25 for a copy of SF64.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

The PAL 64 version (Lylat Wars) is pretty cheap. $10-20.

I played that game so much as a kid. Haven't touched anything else in the series though. Might have to get the new one on WiiU for old time's sake...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by REPLICA View Post
    Ouch! I remember a couple years ago, the prices were set around $10-$25 for a copy of SF64.
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    The PAL 64 version (Lylat Wars) is pretty cheap. $10-20.

I played that game so much as a kid. Haven't touched anything else in the series though. Might have to get the new one on WiiU for old time's sake...
    I guess I fucked myself. When I sold my Starfox 64 copy on ebay last year I only got 12.00.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Wow, never thought I would see a Star Fox thread...

Out of everything shown at E3, the new Star Fox game easily had me the most excited, hands down. And that's quite interesting considering they barely showed or told us much about it. But all I needed to be on board were the words "Star Fox" and "Wii U" in the same sentence.

From what was released, it looks like they're going back to the roots of classic Star Fox flying in a plane game play. I mean, the game is still in early development, but I think that's ultimately all the fans really want. I never cared about star fox running around on foot completing missions. Although, I will admit, being able to use an on foot character in Nintendo 64's deathmatch mode was AWESOME!

The shit you had to do to unlock the ground character in that game was insane as well. I think you had to get a gold metal in every course and then complete hard mode and get a gold metal in every course, and there was something else if I recall correctly... I did all that as a kid and it was worth every minute. I remember when people would come over to play, they were always shocked that they had the ability to use an on foot pilot in deathmatch. People were like, how did you hack this game? A lot of people never knew you could get the on foot character, and that's understandable considering the goddamn hoops you needed to do to accomplish it.

I still have my original copy as well complete with box, manual and rumble pack. It's one of the very few N64 games I kept. I guess I was so proud of completing it 100% I never wanted to sell and trade it in.

If anyone recalls the Nintendo Power magazine and how they used to have little challenges. They would say "Whoever can get the fastest time in Mario kart 64 circuit 1 take a photo and we'll feature your photo in the magazine" and there was a contest on Star fox 64 to get the highest score (highest number of enemies defeated) in a single route by the end of the game. I got the top score and sent in my photo and they published it in volume 103... I got rid of my original magazine, for some odd reason... So i'd like to get a copy of that back to see that. Was the December 1997 issue with Diddy Kong racing on the front. It's way too much on eBay, it's like between $1-8 but most people want fucking $10-15 to ship a magazine to Canada... I know that's rubbish as I can ship a magazine to the USA for $5 or less in an oversized envelope.

But yeah, Starfox is awesome... can't wait to hear more information about the new game as it becomes available.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Wow, never thought I would see a Star Fox thread...

Out of everything shown at E3, the new Star Fox game easily had me the most excited, hands down. And that's quite interesting considering they barely showed or told us much about it. But all I needed to be on board were the words "Star Fox" and "Wii U" in the same sentence.

From what was released, it looks like they're going back to the roots of classic Star Fox flying in a plane game play. I mean, the game is still in early development, but I think that's ultimately all the fans really want. I never cared about star fox running around on foot completing missions. Although, I will admit, being able to use an on foot character in Nintendo 64's deathmatch mode was AWESOME!

The shit you had to do to unlock the ground character in that game was insane as well. I think you had to get a gold metal in every course and then complete hard mode and get a gold metal in every course, and there was something else if I recall correctly... I did all that as a kid and it was worth every minute. I remember when people would come over to play, they were always shocked that they had the ability to use an on foot pilot in deathmatch. People were like, how did you hack this game? A lot of people never knew you could get the on foot character, and that's understandable considering the goddamn hoops you needed to do to accomplish it.

I still have my original copy as well complete with box, manual and rumble pack. It's one of the very few N64 games I kept. I guess I was so proud of completing it 100% I never wanted to sell and trade it in.

If anyone recalls the Nintendo Power magazine and how they used to have little challenges. They would say "Whoever can get the fastest time in Mario kart 64 circuit 1 take a photo and we'll feature your photo in the magazine" and there was a contest on Star fox 64 to get the highest score (highest number of enemies defeated) in a single route by the end of the game. I got the top score and sent in my photo and they published it in volume 103... I got rid of my original magazine, for some odd reason... So i'd like to get a copy of that back to see that. Was the December 1997 issue with Diddy Kong racing on the front. It's way too much on eBay, it's like between $1-8 but most people want fucking $10-15 to ship a magazine to Canada... I know that's rubbish as I can ship a magazine to the USA for $5 or less in an oversized envelope.

But yeah, Starfox is awesome... can't wait to hear more information about the new game as it becomes available.
    Don't hold me to it but I MIGHT have that magazine laying around somewhere.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Man i wish i would have held onto the packaging for my Star Fox 64, since I bought mine new. I still have the rumble pack and cart though.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Don't hold me to it but I MIGHT have that magazine laying around somewhere.
    Well, i'm not in a huge rush to get a copy, so take your time. But if you do have it, and would be willing to part ways with it, just give me a shout.
    If I end up getting my own copy in the near future, i'll just come and make a post in this thread to save you the hassle.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I used to have that one, but my mom(RIP) threw away them and the majority of my Nintendo Powers/game mags from my childhood in a fit of rage, after I moved out of my parents house. Id say I miss the Super Mario World strategy guide the most out of all that though (and the Mega Man X cover issue of NP)

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I honestly don't know what I did with my Nintendo Power mags. I was a subscriber from 1992 to around 2000. Right before the Gamecube hit I lost interest in the magazine.
    My first issue was 1992's Volume 33 with TMNT3 The Manhattan Project on the cover, and boy oh boy, what an issue to start with! I was a huge TMNT fanatic around that time, so it was a huge treat to see that arrive in my mailbox.

I still have a few NP's not many, and I have since purchased a few of my favorites from retro game stores, eBay or video game conventions.

Here's a decent site that shows Nintendo power mags, but they don't have covers past 1994 for some reason.
    http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_..._Power_volumes

Mega Man X was Volume 56. Subscribers got a different cover though, it was a grey metallic plastic like cover with an outline of Mega Man X on it. I always loved the little bonus gifts that subscribers would get.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Starfox 64 is truly a perfect game and still has many of the things that i love about video games:
    Memorable characters
    Epic boss fights
    Insane replayability
    Great controls
    Tons of cool secrets
    A competent multiplayer

It is undoubtedly the game that i have played through to completion the most times. Hundreds? Probably hundreds of times when i was a kid. Certainly quite a few when it was rereleased on the 3ds.

It was everything a game needed to be back then.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Almost as much as I paid for the Japanese import with rumble pak on day one.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I still cannot believe we have not received a new Star Fox game by now. I remember seeing the add in Nintendo Power about the sequel that never was. All we got was this abomination:

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I still cannot believe we have not received a new Star Fox game by now. I remember seeing the add in Nintendo Power about the sequel that never was. All we got was this abomination:

Not true! There was another star fox game on gamecube that was true to form.. i cant remember the name but it was pretty decent. Star fox 64 is such a high standard, but that one was quite enjoyable

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Not true! There was another star fox game on gamecube that was true to form.. i cant remember the name but it was pretty decent. Star fox 64 is such a high standard, but that one was quite enjoyable
    Star Fox: Assault. That was the one that had Arwing and "walk-around" missions. I believe they were even going to make an arcade game based on it, but it never panned out.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    There was also the kinda odd Star Fox Command on the original DS.. I remember playing through that and enjoying it. Star Fox Assault was also kinda fun but the on foot bits were dreadful.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    It seems like the new game is still called Star Fox Zero, and has been postponed yet again until April 22, 2016. At least there's an actual picture of it up so far. It's been a while, so I almost forgot about it again and I don't think they even had the actual title for it when it was first announced. It was originally slated to come out last year in either autumn or winter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_Zero

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    As for Star Fox, I actually thought that this Easter Egg was a pretty cool and a bunch of mind screw. It can be found in the Black Hole stage, which leads into Out of This Dimension.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post

I always like the theory that all Star Fox's characters have had their legs amputated.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I used to love the "Awesome Black Hole", but it also creeped me out

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I'm definitely very happy and relieved that Star Fox Zero finally came out. It looks very promising. This really is the last straw for me though. I really want to catch up and step up my Nintendo game as I've been putting off collecting games for a while due to not being in a better place and other factors and concerns regarding life changes and such. Now that things have been picking up for me, this game along with Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U and Mario Kart 8 will be my first few choices.

Anyway, it really just came out today. Here is the commercial for those that haven't caught it yet.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'm kinda jealous of you guys who have time to play games. Because of work and shit I haven't been able to sit down and have a couple hours with a game until today when I fired Starfox up. So the controls have a learning curve to them-they feel really confusing at first-but after about an hour I was fine, and they're pretty fun. Its like a combo of Panzer Dragoon and Star Fox.

But aside from the controls, its classic Star Fox, which is all I wanted. All the settings are familiar, the story is pretty much a remake, and you can beat the game in like 2 hours. But like the old ones, I'll be replaying this again because its just fun, good ol' StairFax. It actually has a co-op mode where someone else can man the guns, so that could be interesting.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I picked the game up a couple nights ago. It's fun. It's classic star fox. It might be a little too classic Star Fox, as the plot is identical of that of Star Fox 64.
    It's basically like an updated version of Starfox 64 for 2016, with different vehicles, new enemies and a few different levels.
    Can't complain though, this feels like what a Star Fox game SHOULD feel like. It's a true return to form for Fox and friends, even if the story is a tad too familiar.
    Sometimes, if something works... no need to change it.

With that said, I can understand how your casual gamer will be turned away from this game. The "Casual gamer" who likes to pick up a controller and play a few levels at a time for 30 mins will not like this game due to the control scheme. It takes you a few hours to really master the controls. You literally need both screens. You need to constantly switch views between the TV and the Gamepad. It does make it a lit of a learning-curve to fully master and appreciate the game to it's full effect.

I found myself frustrated at first, but as I progressed through the game, I got more used to the controls and I found myself wanting to be back to the previous levels to try and do them better now that I knew what I was doing.

Still can't beat Andross through. Was trying all yesterday. He's incredibly hard. The dual screen controls do not make things any easier, no matter how much you have the controls down.

I find for the straight out flying levels when your ship is moving forward with the screen, it's better to use the TV. But for the all range levels and boss fights, I find the Gamepad is the better view to accomplish those missions. You'll still need to utilize both every now and then, but that's what I've found is easier.

My only gripe, aside from the controls is... Where is Multi-player? Deathmatch... Shooting down ships... etc... That's what's missing. I don't care about the co-op mode. I want an updated HD 4 player star fox deathmatch. Oh well.