Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails lyrics that describe your life and mood in general.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I've got to let go. I've got to get straight. Why'd you have to make it so hard? Let me get away.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I've got to get straight.
    They have camps and centers for these all throughout the American south but their effectiveness is highly questionable

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Wave goodbye
    Wish me well
    I've become something else
    Something else
    (Just as well, really)

I am home
    I believe
    I am home
    I am free
    I am home
    I can see

Always here
    Finally

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Nothing can stop me now, I don't care anymore.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tried to save a place from the cuts and the scratches! Tried to over my complications and the catches! Nothing ever grows and the Sun doesn't shine all day! Tried to save myself, but myself keeps slipping away.

And Goddamn, I am so tired or pretending, of wishing I was ending, when all I'm really doing is trying to hide, and keep it inside, fill it with lies, open my eyes, maybe I wish I could try!

Quote Originally Posted by draven View Post
    sorry, but everyone needs to cheer the fuck up.
    I survived everything!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caro View Post
    Today I'm just like...

So impressed with all you do, tried so hard to be like you.

No one's heard a single word I've said. They don't sound as good outside my head.
    Why do you get all the love in the world?

Where is everybody?
    who are you impressed with? I've always loved that line and wondered who that song was directed to. I think I've landed on, like most of the fragile, an idealized version of himself

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    ^ I like that interpretation.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Your question is very interesting. I've always had that doubt. Sometimes I think Trent is really singing to another person, and sometimes I think like you. Both things make perfect sense to me. But I guess I tend to assume it's the former case, since "The Fragile" is not only about trying to save yourself alone, but also admitting that you as a human being need other people in your life.

In my case, it's just a girl I know. She is not my friend, and I bet she doesn't think about me at all. I'm a woman as well, and I see in her everything I wish I were. I know this is bad, I shouldn't feel it. How do I get rid of this horrible feeling?
    ah, interesting. is wanting to be that person a sexual thing? that happened to me once, about another guy -- I'm not (very) gay (at least, not for normal dudes (long story)), but looking back, it was pretty clear that my projection had sort of weird sexual undertones.

I think "Somewhat Damaged" works pretty well to himself -- the vision of who he wants to be, who he thinks he is, is who is singing to. but as he tries to live that life, he finds that vision has betrayed him; he's tucked the real him deep inside -- under this shell ("in the back, off the side, and far away / is a place, where I hide and where I stay") -- and he finds that that idealized vision was not there when he needed it and didn't have the answers he needed = "and where were you?" ... And hence begins the album...

EDIT: as a side note, thanks for giving me a reason to listen to this song just now... one of NIN's best...
    Last edited by screwdriver; 06-25-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    How do I get rid of this horrible feeling?
    Put the gun in your mouth, close your eyes, blow your fuckin' brains out.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    You're more than welcome!

I see your point. This is a very interesting interpretation. As I said before, I never know exactly what to think about it. What do you think about "The Fragile" (the song)? I have the same doubt as regards this one. Is Trent singing to another person, connecting and empathizing with another human being (something that doesn't happen at all in TDS)? Is he singing it to himself?

Well, it's not sexual. It's pure envy. It's a horrible feeling, and I hate myself for it. I am going to tell you the truth: she's been with my best friend for 10 years.
    Yes, I've been in love with my best friend for almost 10 years. I guess that explains everything, right?
    dude, whatever you think love is -- love is not that! you're not in love, you're just obsessed. love is an act, not a state of being. and to quote another song, "love is not enough" ;-)

but, other than that -- that really sucks :-/ sorry to hear about it. I'm sure anything I could say you've already thought of / heard a million times...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    You're right. I'm working on that. Maybe I just idealize both of them because I don't love myself as much as I should? I don't know. This could be insecurity.
    To keep quoting songs, "I've got to let go!".
    Thanks for your empathy. I've never talked about this to anyone, because I know it's pathetic.
    without knowing anything about you and only narcissistically looking at myself, I would say that the times I've been most obsessed with people wasn't because I didn't love myself -- it was almost the opposite. I didn't think I needed to work on me, to invest in me, because I thought that the other person could fill what was missing in me -- I didn't realize that I was the only one who could do that

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Once again, you're right. Thank you very much for talking to me and trying to help me.
    I always say people are responsible for their own lives and shouldn't expect others to "save" them. Of course they may help you, but you've got to be determined to be a better person and work on it yourself. I guess deep inside I'm just being hypocritical here and not acting this way.
    This friend I mentioned before, I love him honestly. I want him to be happy and if he won't be happy with me, it's OK. But still, there are times when I look at them and think: "Why? Why her? Why can't I be as good as her?". I know this is very, very silly. I'm so ashamed for telling you this!
    dude, that's not silly at all -- that's totally fair! but that should be a starting point, not a crutch for 10 years! but I don't mean to beat up on you. but, um, let it go -- you would never, ever want to be with someone who it took 10 years to realize they want to be with you, anyway. its trite but true...

anywho... "I'm just trying to find my way / oh dear lord, hear my prayer"

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Every day is exactly the same.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by draven View Post
    sorry, but everyone needs to cheer the fuck up.
    Sorry, but that's not how it works. People just can't magically "cheer up". Plus you're on a Nine Inch Nails forum, you should be used to this.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I used to be so big and strong. I used to know my right from wrong. I used to never be afraid. I used to be somebody! I used to have something inside. Now just this hole that's open wide. I used to want it all! I used to be somebody.

I think I used to have a purpose. Then again, that might have been a dream. I think I used to have a voice. Now I never make a sound. I just do what I've been told. I really don't want them to come around. Oh no.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Need to contaminate, to alleviate, this loneliness.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    all the pieces don't fit, thought i really didn't give a shit
    Last edited by Ryan; 06-29-2014 at 11:40 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    The tears of regret frozen to the side of his face.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    A little more
    Every day
    Falls apart
    Slips away
    I don't mind
    I'm okay
    Nothing ever
    Stays the same
    While we can
    Remember when
    We always were
    Yes, even then
    Stay with me
    Hold me near
    While I'm still here

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I just don't know anymore.....

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    There is no place I can go. There is no place I can hide. It feels like it keeps coming from the inside.

It's getting harder to tell the two of you apart. It's getting harder to tell the two of you apart. I can't believe I could never remember which one you are. It's getting harder to tell the two of you apart.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    i'm running out of places i can hide from this

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Everything pushes me further away.

Put the gun, in my mouth! Close your eyes, blow my fucking brains out! Pretty patterns on the floor! That's enough for you, but I still need more! I jump from every rooftop! So high, so far to fall! I feel a million miles away! I don't feel anything at all.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 07-10-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I just don't know anymore

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    nothing ever grows and the sun doesn't shine all day
    tried to save myself but myself keeps slipping away

>

watch the white
    turn to red
    it fills up the hole but it grows somewhere else instead
    all my life
    yeah yeah yeah yeah but it just left me dead
    (well guess what?)
    the world is over and i realize it was all in my head

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    if only there were lyrics for Help Me I Am In Hell

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I can swallow it down. Keep it all inside. I define myself, by how well I hide. I feel it coming apart. Well, at least I tried. I can win this war by knowing not to fight. If I take it all back some way, somehow. If I knew back then what I know right now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    "I won't let you fall apart. We'll find the perfect place to go where we can run and hide. I'll build a wall and we can keep them on the other side, but they keep waiting and picking."

Kinda applies to now, but these lyrics and the whole song "The Fragile" goes through my head when I imagine a zombie apocalypse.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I used to know my right from wrong.

Everyone I know goes away in the end.

I just don't know anymore.

Look through these blackened eyes! You'll see 10,000 lies! My lips may promise, but my heart is a whore!

All the spoils of a wasted life.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 07-31-2014 at 11:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey pig, yeah you
    Pigs we get what pigs deserve

My husband calls me Miss Piggy since I put on 22lb since our wedding last year. I'm trying to lose it.