Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Europe lurches to the Right

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    you poor bastards. celebrating your joy because you confuse enjoyment in Le Pen losing with enjoyment in "winning" an establishment banker as your leader :/
    It's amazing you get wifi under that bridge since you're such a fucking troll

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    read a headline in a french magazine said "France don't trump yourself"made me smile
    -Louie

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I dont think there is much enthusiasm for Macron...huge amount abstained from voting...most can see he is a tool. Not much will change. Its basically more of the same. People just see it as the least-worst-option.
    I dont see anything in him that is much different to the current leader Francoise Hollande.
    He wont dare question the EU on anything, despite the fact there are gaping holes in the system.

Its just he was up against Marine Le-Pen...the Front National has such a toxic legacy in France....
    Also she was NO Donald Trump terrible public speaker...she had none of Trumps machevillian ability to draw people in....

Also i cant imagine Nigel Farage from UKIP winning an election in the UK either...

Had it been someone of the rightwing without out the National Front baggage i reckon they could have won..i thought Francis Fillon was going to win..but the corruption scandal brought him down.

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    More of the same vs. highly-corrosive and willfully destructive bigotry-promoting fascism-fetishizing is a pretty clear fight. Whine about a lack of further progress when you don't have somebody trying to blow it all up. A sense of perspective goes a long way and this idea that people shouldn't be thrilled that someone who isn't a racist fuckhead isn't going to be in a charge of a major first world nation when their main opponent claimed that Jews shouldn't be allowed to weare yamulkes in public is babyish and stupid. It makes people seem like smug and pseudointellectual downtalkers rather than people having a conversation.

To say "It's great that Le Pen has been defeated and I hope that in the future competition is less between centrists and right-wing extremists and more between left-wing candidates and centrists" is reasonable. To act like everyone happy a centrist beat out a lunatic is somehow stupid or naive just makes you look like a tool.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    I dont think there is much enthusiasm for Macron...huge amount abstained from voting...most can see he is a tool. Not much will change. Its basically more of the same. People just see it as the least-worst-option.
    The turnout hasn't been this low in decades. I don't know if the official numbers exist yet, but I was seeing some estimates saying as far back as ~50 years.

It's amazing that everyone can see the recurring pattern of Russian interference and become outraged, but the pattern of the candidates that citizens are forced to choose between...? nah, its not a conspiracy. that's just "how it is" guys! Nevermind the fact that it occurs in different countries with different voting systems and different political landscapes...

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    The turnout hasn't been this low in decades. I don't know if the official numbers exist yet, but I was seeing some estimates saying as far back as ~50 years.

It's amazing that everyone can see the recurring pattern of Russian interference and become outraged, but the pattern of the candidates that citizens are forced to choose between...? nah, its not a conspiracy. that's just "how it is" guys! Nevermind the fact that it occurs in different countries with different voting systems and different political landscapes...
    The number I saw for the turnout in France is 74%; and since we're comparing global patterns against the USA, that is still 10% more French votes per capita than turned out for America's election of Obama in 2008 (which was the highest turnout in the USA for decades). Regarding your second point; this was the final round of a runoff ballot, where the options had already fallen away to the two front runners only. So the 'pattern' here that you hate is... what exactly? Having to choose?

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    http://i.imgur.com/V0YGfgZ.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The number I saw for the turnout in France is 74%; and since we're comparing global patterns against the USA, that is still 10% more French votes per capita than turned out for America's election of Obama in 2008 (which was the highest turnout in the USA for decades).
    This doesn't say anything about trends for France, which was what I was talking about. If voter turnout ends up being lower than it has ever been in the last X decades, that says something.

Regarding your second point; this was the final round of a runoff ballot, where the options had already fallen away to the two front runners only. So the 'pattern' here that you hate is... what exactly? Having to choose?
    And the US had primaries with a bunch of candidates. It doesn't matter, and thats the point i was making: the end "choice" being between an establishment candidate who is deep with the banks vs a racist nationalist. Its a theme that keeps recurring in multiple countries despite different systems and different politics.

This graffiti distills it quite nicely.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Primaries aren't comparable to a general runoff. The majority of French voters chose those two candidates over everyone else, and then chose between them. In that scenario, moderate status-quo centrism wins, and I'm not jumping for joy about it, but I totally understand why and it's not because banks rule everything.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Primaries aren't comparable to a general runoff.
    thats the point!
    i'm not sure how many ways I can say "different systems producing similar results"

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    As we are still part of europe right now, the current exit polls point to a hung parliament in the UK.
    A slight shudder to the left.. but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Hung parliaments are my jam.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Hey-oh! Well that was a turn up for the books! A well hung parliament.
    While I should cite my sources other than Twitter, word on the street is there was a massive youth / under 25 turn out, and would you look at that, they don't like the Conservatives nor the idea of 5 more years...
    In liberal/Labour terms, this was pretty much the best result they could hope for... Wonder what happens next? Don't want to get my hopes up again...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    Hey-oh! Well that was a turn up for the books! A well hung parliament.
    While I should cite my sources other than Twitter, word on the street is there was a massive youth / under 25 turn out, and would you look at that, they don't like the Conservatives nor the idea of 5 more years...
    In liberal/Labour terms, this was pretty much the best result they could hope for... Wonder what happens next? Don't want to get my hopes up again...
    In the meantime article 50 has been triggered, now we've already lost 3 months and the Tories will have another leadership contest, more dithering. Can't we just give up brexit as a bad job? I honestly don't think people gung ho for brexit realised how shit our politicians are.

Although UKIP no seats, hah so there is a bright side

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Coalition with the DUP. This is BAD.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Very much a day of ups and downs. Personally I'm thrilled to see how successful Labour and Corbyn have been, and I'm particularly happy that my home constituency has a Labour MP for the first time ever. No lurching to the right there!

But yes, a Tory deal with DUP is not a positive step. I was hoping there would be enough for a Labour / SNP / Lib Dem coalition, but I guess that's not happening now. I'm very much against 'Brexit' (ughh), but if it does have to happen I'd like to see sensible cross-party negotiations that can lead to a reasonably positive outcome. What are the chances of that though?

Great to see UKIP effectively finished, and interesting to see SNP losing out quite badly - I still don't know what happened there.

What I'm really happy about though is seeing the right wing press failing so miserably to get their side in a majority, despite huge amounts of scaremongering against Corbyn. Sadly we have to include the BBC in that, and not just Murdoch and friends. Maybe we'll see some lessons learned, even if we are still dealing with a difficult outcome. The stories of high turnouts across the country, with particular focus on the engagement of 18-25 year olds, is also very positive.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I thought the weirdest thing about the results which not many have mentioned in the media was seeing the Conservatives resurrected in Scotland...best for them in Scotland since 1983.
    This was unimaginable 10 years ago..a tory was seen as subhuman..justvshows the lengths people are willing to go to avoid a second referendum. SNP would do so much better. If they stopped focusing on independence and only on devolved power.
    i can see why Labour gained ground...although i think Corbyns vision is too utopian and cant stand his team around him he is 100 percent genuine and really got people excited...
    i was amazed at how Robotic and boring and uninspiring Theresa May was...she was a worse campaigner than Hillary Clinton.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    yup... saw that coalition happening once the last results were coming in. Dreadful how they cling in there by jumping into bed with some of the most hateful MPs. now at the very least, the opposition is in a position to oppose, its not great, but it doesn't take much for this government to fail at pushing bills, now if only that ol proportional representation thing had come in... Labour, LD, SNP, PC together outnumber the right wing parties in terms of votes, thats something to be proud of.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    I guess this could have gone a lot worse. May has hobbled herself unnecessarily, and Labour has seen a surge of support.
    Makes me think of Bernie Sanders a bit: popular passion, a surge of enthusiasm, ultimately lost, conservatives still in power.
    Conservatives still have a majority, they are still the biggest party in the UK by 57 seats. People are still voting to the right in these times of economic turbulence.