Thread: 2014.05.18 - Birmingham, UK @ LG Arena

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2014.05.18 - Birmingham, UK @ LG Arena

Birmingham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In summary - another bloody "greatest hits" set with more songs off Year Zero than the album he is supposed to be out promoting. Oh and yet again retards clapping and whooping along to Hurt.
    If I'd known we were getting the budget band greatest hits set I would have happily flogged my ticket.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lordfalconer View Post
    In summary - another bloody "greatest hits" set with more songs off Year Zero than the album he is supposed to be out promoting. Oh and yet again retards clapping and whooping along to Hurt.
    If I'd known we were getting the budget band greatest hits set I would have happily flogged my ticket.

Boo fucking hoo you whiney little pleb. There's always some people who want to complain no matter what I suppose...

Decent show. Band did good. Very much enjoyable.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Well at least we got Burn. Must say I loved Wish and Gave Up. No Only or Various Methods of Escape. Also Closer was like the fifth song. Great visuals and lighting.

Oh and Trent looks very very fit!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Great show. Great visuals. Nice spread from all albums (apart from the slip (?)) no reason to complain whatsoever. Band were on top form and a good crowd.

Trent made a quip about thank fuck it wasn't at a festival (nod to R&L last year).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyarse View Post
    Boo fucking hoo you whiney little pleb. There's always some people who want to complain no matter what I suppose...
    Whiney Pleb?
    Well at least you've given me a laugh tonight - I didn't realise criticising a mundane setlist after seeing what the USA and indeed- some Euro Festivals got would upset Baron Reznor and his loyal British knights ;-)

Positives - excellent version of The Day The World Went Away and Eraser. Copy of A came out well too.

Other than that - Burn missing chorus guitar, same old abbreviated Closer/Only Time mid 8 we've been getting for near 10 years - I appreciated its absence personally... and the afforementioned buttholes ruining Hurt (again!) - I think I'll save up and catch NIN in the States next time.

I'm glad you and others enjoyed the gig- it just is very...disappointing to get virtually the same set as I got last year...and indeed 6 years prior to that. Especially knowing a few days prior people were getting Various Methods of Escape etc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Setlist http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-i...-6bc0b2aa.html

I disagree with it being disappointing. Short yes, disappointing no. Maybe it's cause I only saw them in 2009.

The sound and lighting were absolutely brilliant. The new arrangements surpassed my expectations.

Just a shame I had a couple of idiots behind me.

See you in Cardiff.
    Last edited by scorpiusdiamond; 05-18-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tonight was my tenth show (All UK: 2 x 2005, 3 x 2007, 3 x 2009 and The Scala 2013) and I was quite pleased with it.

Bought tickets for all the shows in the middle of England and was a bit concerned that it would be a greatest hits set, and traveled down today half expecting the show to be a bit of a chore but was pleasantly surprised.

I've yet to go to a NIN show where I've not seen at least one I've not seen before so was pleased to hear 2-3 tonight. Took the opportunity tonight to stand nearer the desk so will go and bust heads in Nottingham next week.

I know the entire 4 blokes on laptops in front of a screen has been done in the last few years, but the set from Closer through to Wish was absolutely a highlight for me. I did see some guy post about how Rez promised something entirely new and whatever, and Tension went that way and that this Euro leg is a return to old form, and I agree with that to some extent, but I missed the 2007 uk festivals and Wolverhampton, never seen them overseas etc etc so today was new for me, irrespective of whatever happened last year or in 2008 in North America.

I was dreading the entire arena thing too, having seen them a good few times in clubs but I think it absolutely worked and I'm looking forward to next week with renewed vigour - even if they play essentially the same set.

Having been fortunate to have seen some high quality setlists, I always think "I could see them another 100 times and wouldn't care if X wasn't played again". For me, it's Gave Up and Burn, but truth be told, I always enjoy them when I see them. The best bit for me today was TGD and TDTWWA with the more 'accurate' ending, but hearing MotP with all that thump from the drums (sadly lacking at The Scala) and the kick drum in the chorus of Wish, and I thought to myself 'This is why I love this band'.

The Scala felt like a greatest hits set, i felt a bit underwhelmed coming away from that given the volume was a bit low too, but what was served up today wasn't. Give me TGD a couple more times, BYIT and ATL and I'll be pretty happy I reckon. Would like to see Terrible Lie and SICNH too, and Christ knows I've seen them a few times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was a great show, was very pleased with the set list. A good selection from YZ which is perhaps my favourite album overall. Lighting was pretty cool. If I was forced to say one thing I would have changed it would have been the addition of 'I would for you'.

The whole pre sale early entrance thing worked really well too.

Good to see Cold Cave too, no 'the great pan is dead' though which was a real blow.

edit : merchandise though - £25 for a tee, £50 for a hoodie, WTF is up with that???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After initially being somewhat surprised by how much of the arena had been curtained off unsold (I'd guesstimate there was a crowd of around 7000 in an arena that can hold double that) I really enjoyed the gig. Visuals were brilliant and having watched the clips from the festivals last year through to the massive US tour I did not feel at all short changed, with the fancy effects for disappointed being there for example.

Admittedly as many have said the set list is bizarrely short of Hesitation Marks tracks and felt almost deliberately obtuse in places. I'd have liked The Big Come Down, Only and Satellite instead of Eraser, Sanctified (strangely dull) and Burn.

it didn't feel that different from Wolverhampton 2007 set list wise.

Merchandise has also got to be the most uninspiring I have ever seen since PHM 91 at Goldwyns. As I mentioned in another thread it's the first time I have ever not bought anything.

However - ending on a positive note the sound, show and experience made me grin from ear to ear several times. On to Notts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As mentioned elsewhere, I loved the show. Setlist wasn't entirely to my liking (not fond of 'Me, I'm Not' as an opener) but that's entirely subjective so I won't complain.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lordfalconer View Post
    I want more HM too, but when he played Disappointed, everybody just seemed to stand still but go mad for the usual suspects, it's quite annoying actually. I liked the Year Zero additions as I really missed out in 2007 going to three London shows where they weren't played

Was I the only one who thought the sound was a bit distorted and / or muddy, usually they're crystal clear but I had to strain to hear Trent's vocals at some points, which was a shame as performance wise he was on top form. Hurt was a particularly good performance and he seemed in a good mood and very entertaining to watch, the Great Destroyer breakdown was fantastic (and the lights in general)

A few other things to mention, he responded to somebody in the audience saying 'that sounds passionate'. Also they seemed to have problems with the curtain for the first two songs and somebody had to pull it down! That was quite funny

Hoping to get a good mix of setlist changes at Cardiff and London
    Last edited by WorzelG; 05-19-2014 at 07:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I want more HM too, but when he played Disappointed, everybody just seemed to stand still but go mad for the usual suspects, it's quite annoying actually.

Was I the only one who thought the sound was a bit distorted and / or muddy, usually they're crystal clear but I had to strain to hear Trent's vocals at some points, which was a shame as performance wise he was on top form. Hurt was a particularly good performance and he seemed in a good mood and very entertaining to watch

A few other things to mention, he responded to somebody in the audience saying 'that sounds passionate'. Also they seemed to have problems with the curtain for the first two songs and somebody had to pull it down! That was quite funny

Did you notice the problem during Copy of A, too? Alessandro was having issues with his keyboard it seemed and the higher-pitched melody didn't come in so the chorus was a bit bare.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacabreMagpie View Post
    As mentioned elsewhere, I loved the show. Setlist wasn't entirely to my liking (not fond of 'Me, I'm Not' as an opener) but that's entirely subjective so I won't complain.
    I absolutely love me, I'm not but I know what you mean about not being an opener, not enough energy, maybe if he swapped it with copy of a?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacabreMagpie View Post
    Did you notice the problem during Copy of A, too? Alessandro was having issues with his keyboard it seemed and the higher-pitched melody didn't come in so the chorus was a bit bare.
    Yes, was quite surprised Trent didn't throw a strop, but he seemed really in a good mood

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    This was effectively a 2007 setlist with some Hesitation Marks thrown in. Which was nice.
    NIN good, crowd good, weather good, Presale system good.

Birmingham fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossva View Post

edit : merchandise though - £25 for a tee, £50 for a hoodie, WTF is up with that???
    I know! Great that they've kept T-shirt prices steady for the past 10 years when most other bands are inflating them as the years go by.

Oh, and there were 8000 people at the show. They had closed off everything behind the soundboard.

Was I the only one who thought the sound was a bit distorted and / or muddy, usually they're crystal clear but I had to strain to hear Trent's vocals at some points, which was a shame as performance wise he was on top form.
    I noticed that. Venue issue?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Curtain was purposeful, visuals up against it for first few songs. It signalled live drums, very atmospheric, very cool.

Noticed problems with Alessandro. Main issue being lack of any stage presence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastentrance View Post
    Curtain was purposeful, visuals up against it for first few songs. It signalled live drums, very atmospheric, very cool.

Noticed problems with Alessandro. Main issue being lack of any stage presence.
    To be fair, he's usually hidden away near the back when it's a larger band.

I also didn't get the impression that the curtain wasn't supposed to be up for the first two songs, I have to admit.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastentrance View Post
    I was off to the side, maybe it looked different from the front

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    For me off all the songs from HM Disappointed is the weakest. Didn't buy anything of the merch stand, didn't fancy any of the designs.
    Bit weird that at the hotel I was staying at they were holding a convention for the TV show Supernatural, strange!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss k bee View Post
    For me off all the songs from HM Disappointed is the weakest.
    I didn't like it until I heard it live (at Scala last year). One of my favourites, now.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Surprised at how much I loved hearing Gave Up and Wish (I don't listen to Broken enough) also first time for me hearing the Warning live was a highlight.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    I noticed that. Venue issue?
    It's a touring band with all their own equipment, it wouldn't have anything to do with the venue. Possibly a missed connection or faulty bit of equipment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When it was announced that NIN were playing the NEC and not the NIA this time around, I was worried - the NEC is notorious for its terrible acoustics, which I thought was the reason for Allesandro's issues at the start. It got better though.
    What did strike me was the amount of idiots in the crowd near the sound board - a group of pissed up fuckwits talking throughout Me, I'm Not got short shrift from those around them.
    It seemed like a shorter show than some of the preceding Scandavian shows, and I was disappointed not to get HCB / BYIT, but having the full visuals made up for it - the shows I've been to previous have always been cut down stage setups, so it was nice to see the show properly.
    A good solid performance all in all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have to admit, I don't understand the complaints about the venue acoustics. I was right at the barrier and I thought the sound was fantastic - even with Cold Cave, who were awful.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yeah Cold Cave were strange, liked their tunes but no onstage dynamic between the two, and everything was sample based. Bit disappointing, considering the quality of some of the songs!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Very good. Fine performances from everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yay! There's a really good recording of the whole gig now @ reflectinginthechrome.