Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The little things that piss you off...about music.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

The little things that piss you off...about music.

Track 3 is a ballad. Save the ballads for the end of the album please.

Intro tracks: they all sound the same. When I'm checking out an album I always start at track 2, because track 1 is inevitably an intro track.

Crescendos: ditto, all the same. Unless you are Godspeed! You Black Emperor where your whole music is one big crescendo/diminuendo.

Martial drums: so cliched.

When an album has 2/3 good tracks on it, and 10 fillers. This is why people don't like albums anymore: listen to Sgt Pepper: every track should be a hit single goddamnit. Take the time and effort to write a whole album's worth of great material, not just two songs.

When albums "sag" in the middle: when the middle section of an album is a bunch of unmemorable midtempo dirge (and some ballads).

The blues.

The idea that film soundtracks have to be some version of this swelling John Williams pseudo classical symphony music: they don't. In fact films don't have to have music at all (one of the reasons I loved No Country for Old Men).

Pandering: when a band or artist is clearly very obviously trying to target a certain demographic or fanbase. I like music that thinks outside of generic boundaries, or at least does something different with genre conventions.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Agreed with everything (and I like the idea of the thread), except I love the blues. I think like literally every other genre it has it's highs and lows, you just have to look for what moves you in it if you can.

My pet peeve is that if you're a rock musician and economic with your instrument, you're regarded as "important" by the music press. It's not to say that I think everyone should play like Yngwie Malmsteen either, I just think there's a healthy balance between the two that is what I enjoy the most.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The Blues?

Bands that re-release a new album after a year and throw some bonus tracks on it (usually live) to squeeze some extra £££.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Loudness wars.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Twilight View Post
    Bands that re-release a new album after a year and throw some bonus tracks on it (usually live) to squeeze some extra £££.
    I was thinking of that recently, as I try to track down a physical copy of the new Slipknot album. If there's a two-disc version, why would I (or anyone) want the one disc? Same with the new Basement Jaxx: why would I not want the edition with the remix disc?
    Just release the album and that's it: why do there have to be a gazillion different versions, the special edition, the Japanese edition, the bonus tracks, the limited edition, the repackaged edition; it's endless and annoying: release other material as a separate EP or album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Pop music in general and Radio..
    I hate that my kids (8 & 12) think that the same 8 songs (probably being generous with this #) that the Radio stations cycle over and over are what's good...
    There's a glimmer of light in my 8 year old though, she'll sometimes request Nirvana or The Beastie Boys lol...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    the way 99% of gigs end at 11pm/midnight unless it's electronic music - why is it seemingly the law that everything else ends at midnight, and why do so few bands do short notice/guerilla gigs?
    bands that have been going more than 10 years and play more than 4 new songs live (issue being having to sit through new wank, not the fact they've been going so long)
    bands that don't play anything from their first 3 albums
    bands/labels that sit on concert films from their golden era
    lack of diversity at most festivals
    "remastered" editions that are actually remixed, sometimes with the ultimate offence - re-recorded parts (megadeth and ozzy are the prime offenders)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    When every song on the album has a fade out. Do you not know how to end songs?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    fucking reggae.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The fact the vast majority of bands/artists begin to start sucking or loose a certain vitality when they hit around the age of 40. There are of course exceptions, but more than in any other artform its music in which older age seems to be a detriment to creativity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not enough Cow Bell...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    fucking reggae.

All reggae?

I personally hate Soca music.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    bands that have been going more than 10 years and play more than 4 new songs live (issue being having to sit through new wank, not the fact they've been going so long)
    This entirely depends. I get the sense that for most bands that have been around that long, they're generally tired of running through the "classics." It's often more exciting to hear them play new material that they're usually more excited about. There's exceptions

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    how often people complain about music costing money, but literally won't download my music when i put it up for free and basically hand it to them.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    This entirely depends. I get the sense that for most bands that have been around that long, they're generally tired of running through the "classics." It's often more exciting to hear them play new material that they're usually more excited about. There's exceptions
    There are exceptions but a lot the bands I'm into are pretty spent at this point, I get the feeling me & most of their audience just want to hear the old stuff. With NIN I'd rather see HM start to finish than PHM, but with Manson & Ministry I'd be happier if they played nothing from after 1998. Ministry are pretty much the arch offenders

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Zydeco. It should be banned from the planet.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_k_f View Post
    Pop music in general and Radio..
    Yes. Yes. Yes. I stopped listening to the radio years ago for that very reason.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Stupid interlude tracks in the middle of the album.

Bands that go "the next album is going to be very experimental, really psychedelic", and it turns out they just added some keyboards during the chorus.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    When every song on the album has a fade out. Do you not know how to end songs?
    Well, sometimes cold endings just don't fit a band's sound. Take for example The Beach Boys.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    All reggae?

I personally hate Soca music.
    yes. all reggae.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    The blues.
    Just because I'm curious and to be clear on this, when you say "Blues", what are you talking about? The misconception that Blues is an old black guy with four teeth and a broken guitar singing about how The Man done put him down/his baby done him wrong, the standard 12 bar Blues, or the entirety of the genre including the super awesome bands like The Blues Brothers and Led Zeppelin (they're blues, don't even try to argue)?

I actually play in a band that does Blues, Funk, Soul and old school R&B, and one of the things I like about it is that we take a genre that a lot of younger people may write off as old and boring (because they don't know how deep the rabbit hole actually goes) and make it exciting and accessible to them. I've had lots of people come up to me at shows and say things like "man, I've gotta tell you; normally I hate the Blues, but that shit was awesome tonight".

Please understand that I'm not trying to prove that you're wrong or stupid for condemning an entire genre (if I did, I'd be a hypocrite). I'm just legitimately curious about what it is that you don't like.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Yes. Yes. Yes. I stopped listening to the radio years ago for that very reason.
    If I listen to the radio, it's Sirius XM and one one of the stations that plays older music that I like (from 40s Big Band/Swing to Metal) where I'm never in danger of hearing some wank who's on top of the modern Pop charts.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    prowler check out acid brass by the wiliams fairey brass band - acid house played by a full colliery band. sounds dodgy but is amazing

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    If I listen to the radio, it's Sirius XM and one one of the stations that plays older music that I like (from 40s Big Band/Swing to Metal) where I'm never in danger of hearing some wank who's on top of the modern Pop charts.
    I recently got my Blu-ray player hooked up to the internet (I know, welcome to 2010) and I have SiriusXM on it. I like it, but I miss some of the old channels that used to be on it. Especially MusicLab which was all progressive rock, jam bands, and fusion. It's still good to a degree but it kind of bugs me that they have artist-centered channels (the only one I like is the George Carlin one), and ones specifically to put on at parties.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    why would I not want the edition with the remix disc?
    Well actually... Old example, but when I bought Untouchables it had that shitty remix crammed a few seconds after the last track, and god did I hate them for that move. I really regretted buying the limited edition of that one. And as a general rule, I don't really give a damn in either the remixes, the live tracks or the b sides. Nowadays I'll check the latter out only for a handful of bands.
    I tend to actually hate when, on release, the only version of an album you can find is the limited edition. I don't care. You made an album, chose the tracklisting and called it a day, great, give me that one !

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    speaking of tacked on travesties... that version of white pony with back to school at the front... nooooo

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Blast Beats.....done incorrectly of course.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Too much cowbell.

And I agree it's odd that so many "big" bands can't right shit for good music past a certain age or era and people or press praise the ever living shit out of them. Seriously- when did the Stones or Springsteen last put out something worth listening to?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    stones - some girls, bruce - nebraska

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    stones - some girls, bruce - nebraska
    I agree with "Nebraska," absolutely.

But I thought "Some Girls" was total crap. I contend that 'Exile' was their last great album.