Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gone Girl

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Gone Girl

Coming out October 3rd, with David Fincher helming the screen adaptation of the best-selling book, starring Ben Affleck with an impressive supporting cast, and scored by some dudes.

Teaser
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 04-15-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tempted to say this is my most anticipated movie of the year. I love the idea of Fincher directing Affleck: that's an extremely interesting combo in my eyes.

I've had the ebook on my iPod ready to be ready to read for a while now, and I was planning on starting it tonight before I even knew the teaser would show up today. Considering that the author apparently altered the cinematic ending, I don't feel bad about reading the book first. Reading Dragon Tat prior to seeing Fincher's adaptation certainly didn't dampen my deep love for that movie.

Bring it!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Tempted to say this is my most anticipated movie of the year. I love the idea of Fincher directing Affleck: that's an extremely interesting combo in my eyes.

I've had the ebook on my iPod ready to be ready to read for a while now, and I was planning on starting it tonight before I even knew the teaser would show up today. Considering that the author apparently altered the cinematic ending, I don't feel bad about reading the book first. Reading Dragon Tat prior to seeing Fincher's adaptation certainly didn't dampen my deep love for that movie.

Bring it!
    Its a quick read and I think Fincher will do wonders with the material.

Spoiler: Bitches be crazy.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Just finished reading Gillian Flynn's first two books "Sharp Objects" and "Dark Places". Both were super great reads, so I'm really excited to start reading Gone Girl. Based on everything going into this movie, this has a ridiculous amount of potential to be one of the best films of the year. Flynn's literary style is a PERFECT fit for Fincher's visual style. You really can't help but picture what you're reading to come out looking exactly like a Fincher project.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 07-07-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Also posted in the "TR score thread"

NEW trailer and the music sounds amaze balls

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Found this on Twitter

Tyler Perry: “If I'd known who David Fincher was, and his body of work, I would have said no.”

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Found this on Twitter

Tyler Perry: “If I'd known who David Fincher was, and his body of work, I would have said no.”
    wait, what?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Someone post a screen cap of his tweet?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's not from his Twitter (not even sure he has one), but a quote from a Vanity Fair article.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    It's not from his Twitter (not even sure he has one), but a quote from a Vanity Fair article.
    ok, i guess that makes him sound like less of a giant asshole...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I think Vanity Fair picked up that quote from a New York magazine interview with Perry in which he says "[Fincher's] brilliant."

Quote Originally Posted by New York magazine
    New York mag: Were you aware of all the anticipation for this movie when you signed up?

Tyler Perry: I had no sense of that. If I had, I probably would have walked away from it. If I had known who David Fincher was, and his body of work, or if I'd known the book was so popular, I would have said, "No." And my agent knew that! He didn't tell me until after I signed on! When things are that magical for people, there's a lot of pressure for it to be what they want it to be.
    I've never seen a single Tyler Perry movie, so I 'm fairly indifferent to him most of the time, but I think he'll be amazing as Bolt in this movie. Very interesting casting choice that will pay off methinks. I'm about 200 digital pages away from finishing the book and I'm loving it. Affleck is perfect for Nick.
    Last edited by Deadpool; 08-30-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Typical media screwing words around.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Just finished reading the novel last night - what a ride. It was an extremely tense, constantly unpredictable and surprisingly emotional experience for me. I can't wait to see Affleck and Pike cut loose with the rest of the ensemble.

This is the still the movie I'm looking forward to most this year!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I finished the novel this afternoon. Really intrigued as to what the new ending will be.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Didn't the WSJ article -- or something similar -- point out that the ending wasn't all that different?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Really good Playboy (so probably NSFW based on the web address alone) interview with Fincher, covering his life, career and the choices he made regarding the screen adaptation and filming of this.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Anyone else see this image of Amy/Pike and always think that her neck looks way too long?

http://i3.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/goi...ailer-grab.png

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Another incredible interview with Fincher. I love this man so much.

http://www.filmcomment.com/entry/int...-david-fincher

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Didn't the WSJ article -- or something similar -- point out that the ending wasn't all that different?
    Yeah. It's been really odd. At first, it was the entire last 1/3rd had been rewritten. Then it was the main points were the same, with some minor changes. Now, it's it stays true to the book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    From the FilmComment interview linked above:
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fincher

The book has a more elaborate wind-down, and the movie couldn’t have it. The end of the movie that we have now is the denouement of the novel, but the emotional catharsis is happening four minutes before that as opposed to 12 pages, which it initially was. For everybody, it felt that we were overstaying our welcome. And we needed to say, this is not something abstract. This is not beyond the experience of most of the people in the theater—what people tell themselves to make it all okay.
    Pretty sure this answers how At Risk is utilized in the film while simultaneously explaining the 4 minutes of silence.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    One of my local art house cinemas is doing an advance screening of Gone Girl with a Q&A with Gillian Flynn on Thursday. I must jump on this.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    One of my local art house cinemas is doing an advance screening of Gone Girl with a Q&A with Gillian Flynn on Thursday. I must jump on this.
    yeah, the music box here in chicago is doing it, too! the Q&A is simulcast from (what i'm guessing is) the premiere in NY. my friend alex is coming with me and i'm really excited!!! i can't remember the last time i saw a movie in the theater as a special screening.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm really pumped about this movie. Fincher does no wrong.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Saw it tonight. Here are just a few thoughts.

- It follows the book EXTREMELY closely, sometimes to a fault. But for the most part it actually bests the book in a lot of ways. In a way, it's one of the best book to screen adaptations that I've ever seen.

- This isn't David Fincher's best film (still Social Network), but it IS better than his Dragon Tattoo adaptation. I'm instinctually wanting to say it's at least up there with Zodiac, in terms of his filmography.

- Sorry to say to people who've read the book and were iffy on the ending, but the ending in the film is NOT new, as has been stated. Just expanded upon. Granted, the ending of the story now feels a little more... natural, and less "I ran out of ideas", and within context to David Fincher's gloomy style, it actually works a lot better on screen than on page.

- Tyler Perry is ridiculously awesome in this as Tanner Bolt. Dude just oozes gold at that character. Never thought I'd say that.

- Spoiler: I feel like Rosamund Pike will absolutely hands down get Best Actress at the Oscars. Her portrayal of both sides of Amy is bone-chilling in every way possible. She will literally have you squirming in your seats. There's some new subtle nuances that Gillian Flynn added to the character in the screenplay that makes her even more harsh. Such as a scene where she bashes herself in the face with a hammer in order to obtain a black eye.

- The score is obviously great, and actually comes across as a lot creepier and sinister than it already sounds, when paired with Fincher's visuals.

- It made me wish that David Fincher was immediately following this up with an adaptation of another Gillian Flynn novel titled Dark Places that is perfect for his style.

- As dark of a mind fuck as the film is, it also features some of David Fincher's most comedic instances he's done on film. There are some genuine LOL moments that had the whole theater goin'.

- I kind of really want a lot of newish couples to come see this as a date movie and then be horrified and go home and question each other's motives.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post

- I kind of really want a lot of newish couples to come see this as a date movie and then be horrified and go home and question each other's motives.
    Haha fuck! I'm currrently setting up a date and I really want to go to the movies and this is the only one I'm interested in. I better go out for dinner with her since she seems a bit insecure already with relationships although she likes thrillers and suspense.

Either way I will definitely see this and cain't wait for next week when it hits theatres here.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    "- I kind of really want a lot of newish couples to come see this as a date movie and then be horrified and go home and question each other's motives."

My girlfriend just finished reading this book, we're six months in...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    "- I kind of really want a lot of newish couples to come see this as a date movie and then be horrified and go home and question each other's motives."

My girlfriend just finished reading this book, we're six months in...

LOL. that would be hilarious.

My fiancé and I have been dating for going on 9 years (got engaged this year) and we are going to see it together Friday. She hasn't read it (I have) and she has no idea whats in store. hahahaha

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    We have great conversations about serious stuff already (we've been friends for awhile), so I'm anticipating a good one Friday. We're on the same page for most things, so I doubt it will be a big deal.