Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Metallica

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So freaking pumped for the Dallas show, though I'm bummed that Volbeat isn't opening the Dallas show.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Mexico show is a few days away, we'll be getting Iggy Pop as the opening act, i'm not ashamed to say i bought my tickets mostly for Iggy, but of course i'm always up for a Metallica show.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Some Kind of Monster is on Netflix. For those that haven't seen it, it's a good watch. Even for non-fans I'd recommend it as a good documentary. There are well-established cringe-worthy elements, but I think what gets lost in that is that they were brave enough to show that side of themselves to the world when it could have been shelved.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Some Kind of Monster is on Netflix. For those that haven't seen it, it's a good watch. Even for non-fans I'd recommend it as a good documentary. There are well-established cringe-worthy elements, but I think what gets lost in that is that they were brave enough to show that side of themselves to the world when it could have been shelved.
    I liked it because it was a vulnerable point of their lives. And funny how even Lars' dad wasn't into st.anger.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Thanks for pointing this out, it's on the UK one too. I've been wanting to watch this for ages without feeling like I'm giving metallica any money!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The DVD or recent Blu-ray is worth getting. The deleted scenes paint a much deeper picture. I'm sure with all the footage that was shot (I think all told it was somewhere between one or two thousand hours, over the nearly three years of production), they probably could have filled up at least one more DVD of stuff.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    The DVD or recent Blu-ray is worth getting. The deleted scenes paint a much deeper picture. I'm sure with all the footage that was shot (I think all told it was somewhere between one or two thousand hours, over the nearly three years of production), they probably could have filled up at least one more DVD of stuff.
    I'm particularly intrigued by the scenes with Dave Mustaine which my sister said were pretty embarrassing. I read his autobiography and I've always preferred Megadeth but I had no idea how bitter and sad he'd become over being booted out of the band

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

best part of the movie

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post

best part of the movie

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I'm particularly intrigued by the scenes with Dave Mustaine which my sister said were pretty embarrassing. I read his autobiography and I've always preferred Megadeth but I had no idea how bitter and sad he'd become over being booted out of the band
    Seeing it again I'm not sure what to think of him in it, except that he clearly did carry all that anger and sadness still. They had their reasons for kicking him out but they went about it terribly, as can be expected of a group of guys in their early 20's, eager for the prize as they all were.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    What Gagatallica was supposed to sound like. (HINT: Really, really good!)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Metallica & Iggy playing "TV Eye", live in Mexico:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Got so close for the show in Dallas. They were fucking amazing. Managed to get a guitar pick too.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Went to the pop-up show in LA two days ago and here are a couple of photos....

There was a small room that had the electric chair and a bunch of orb thingies from the 80s, it was all pretty cool

and I walked away with this cool little pin

and my sister and I will be at the show this upcoming Sunday in San Diego. We eneded up getting the crazy expensive tickets that come with a dinner or something like that and should be fun.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Arena tour supposed to be announced tomorrow...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/met...american-tour/

...hopeful that I can get tickets for it to the new Bucks arena assuming this is true.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

With a tiny bit of NIN-spotting

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I've been on a Metallica kick lately, gearing up for the deluxe remaster of Justice.

(Legendary) producer Steve Thompson talked about it on a podcast. It hasn't been mentioned here yet, but as of February, there are no plans to remix the album. One of the reasons given is that the original source materials would be too difficult to sift through, because about 40,000 of those are Lars' drum takes.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Surely it can't be too much effort just to boost the bass track.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    With a tiny bit of NIN-spotting
    Only got to watch the vid briefly this morning due to being busy, (and still am unfortunately). What was the NIN spotting?...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Only got to watch the vid briefly this morning due to being busy, (and still am unfortunately). What was the NIN spotting?...
    James obviously likes NIN.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Let's not forget that Danny Lohner and Jeordie were both auditioning to play bass for Metallica during the filming of Some Kind of Monster as well as Pepper Keenan and Eric Avery. I'm sure I'm forgetting many others that auditioned.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Let's not forget that Danny Lohner and Jeordie were both auditioning to play bass for Metallica during the filming of Some Kind of Monster as well as Pepper Keenan and Eric Avery. I'm sure I'm forgetting many others that auditioned.
    Chris Wyse from The Cult and Scott Reeder from KYUSS also auditioned

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    AJFA is one of my fav albums, i actually think a bass boost would tarnish it. ive heard a few weak iterations on youtube and it actually takes away from the sound they captured. it was an experiment that worked for the better, much unlike the tin can snare on st.anger.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I would have to find the Steve Thompson video interview where he talks about it more in-depth, but the way the album was mixed, the frequency of the drums cancels out the bass frequencies the majority of the mix.

They probably will just do a "louder/boosted" version, but as already pointed out, it tends to sounds more harsh because the bass and drums are so closely linked.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My main problem with AJFA is that the sound quality as a whole is horrible. It needs more than just a bass boost.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    My main problem with AJFA is that the sound quality as a whole is horrible. It needs more than just a bass boost.
    I donít know. The production kinds gives it its vibe. Same with the original As the palaces burn release from lamb of god. It sounds like shit, but thats its character.

To me, AJFA sounds exacty how it needed to sound, after everything they went through beforehand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I don’t know. The production kinds gives it its vibe. Same with the original As the palaces burn release from lamb of god. It sounds like shit, but thats its character.

To me, AJFA sounds exacty how it needed to sound, after everything they went through beforehand.
    i agree, it certainly helps that its arguably their high point - had AJFA been mixed like Black it couldve been a disaster (and vice versa). it worked perfectly for the material.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    i agree, it certainly helps that its arguably their high point - had AJFA been mixed like Black it couldve been a disaster (and vice versa). it worked perfectly for the material.
    Agreed. I love the way the riffs sound razor sharp and the drums are so punchy. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I was under the impression that it didn't have a bass track, more or less? Hence why they over dubbed everything like they did.

Also, didn't they already "remaster" this some years back?
    Last edited by Pillfred; 04-13-2018 at 02:15 AM.