Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Metallica

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Ditch a few of the songs, ditch Reed's vocals, refine some of the core elements - you could possibly have a pretty cool Metallica album. But instead we got an album that lacked chemistry. It was like they tried to cater to Reed, but couldn't, and instead of canning the concept, they went on with it. It's a mess.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I have felt the same way about the "disconnect" between Reed's vocal delivery and the music. However, don't think about it as music. Think about it as a stage play. Lou Reed is an actor and Metallica's music is the soundtrack. How can you not love Lou Reed's vocals? He's insane.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Haven't liked his vocals since The Bells, at least. He WAS a good vocalist, then all of a sudden, he wasn't.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There's some seriously dark shit going on in these lyrics. This guy is a crazy motherfucker that's for sure. I think a lot of people are stuck on how the vocals and the music don't fit together the way they like vocals and music to fit together but aren't focusing on the fact that combining those two seemingly disconnected elements was the entire reason for making the album. Musically, it's not Metallica's best effort. It's the whole thing together that makes it what it is.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    So wait, Lulu is new a collection of new tunes from Metallica with Reed singing over them? I thought it was a collection of cover songs....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    So wait, Lulu is new a collection of new tunes from Metallica with Reed singing over them? I thought it was a collection of cover songs....

Well, listen to the original version of Junior Dad and compare:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    that new ep "beyond magnetic" is a good return to form

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    ^ you know, people said that about St. Anger...

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Who the hell said this? That album was complete crap

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Who the hell said this?
    Deaf people.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i recall reviews leading up to its release that were saying it. one even called the quick double kicks in the title track "blastbeats." i couldn't make this shit up, dude.

in regards to Beyond Magnetic, it's somewhat backwards to say an EP of outtakes that didn't even make an album are somehow a return to form — especially considering the material. i don't sit, twiddling my thumbs, through crap like "Hate Train" and go, "man! this is as solid as anything on Justice!" the outtakes are just as boring, monotonous, and uneventful as Death Magnetic proper; i find myself wondering where 'long, progressive songs' from ye days of olde became 'the song needs to hit 7 minutes, even though it should have ended 5 riffs ago.' every song.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    rebel of babylon is pretty solid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I actually just deleted Lulu from my library. Mind bogglingly bad.

Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    However, don't think about it as music. Think about it as a stage play. Lou Reed is an actor and Metallica's music is the soundtrack.
    That's exactly how I thought of it as I heard it, like I get what they're going for but even then I still could find no joy in listening to it. I'd rather watch an actual stage play with Lou Reed and Metallica.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingandnothing View Post
    I actually just deleted Lulu from my library. Mind bogglingly bad.

That's exactly how I thought of it as I heard it, like I get what they're going for but even then I still could find no joy in listening to it. I'd rather watch an actual stage play with Lou Reed and Metallica.
    That would be freakin' awesome. There would be some simple scenery and stage dressing. And there would be curtains and a scene for each song.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    pfffft.

I guess money just changes people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And here's what he had to say about it

(Go to 3:02)

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    So Metallica announced a festival for June in Atlantic City, and the lineup is pretty fucking amazing. In addition to them playing Black Album on one night and motherfuckin' Ride the Lightning on the other, they have handpicked some awesome and head scratching groups:
    Initial lineup for the Orion Music + More Festival:
    •Arctic Monkeys
    •Avenged Sevenfold
    •Modest Mouse
    •The Gaslight Anthem
    •Cage The Elephant
    •Fucked Up
    •Best Coast
    •Hot Snakes
    •Titus Andronicus
    •Gary Clark Jr.
    •Lucero
    •Roky Erickson
    •The Black Angels
    •The Sword
    •A Place to Bury Strangers
    •Liturgy
    With the exception of Avenged Sevenfold and A Place to Bury Strangers, I would pay top dollar to see all those acts.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    and so Metallica continues the trend of doing awesome things, followed immediately by horrible ones.

Death Magnetic (bad)
    Solid long term touring behind it, with awesome openers, long/varied setlists, cool stage show and hitting every corner of the world (good)

Big Four shows (good)
    Lulu (bad)

30th Anniversary shows (good)
    this bullshit festival with a silly lineup and most likely an audience that will not give a fuck about any of them except A7X (bad)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    8 concerts at Mexico City with the new Stage (good)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    These guys are on fire!!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Love Metallica... even black album, load, death magnetic (some songs on DM are better than a couple of songs on AJFA imo). St Anger was crap - songs are too long, the sound is jarring at first but what really lets it down is the way they obviously keep deciding to pad every song out a bit further by repeating earlier verses etc... almost every song on that album should have come in at 3 minutes or less. I found myself like almost getting out of my chair because I thought the song would end and then suddenly they carry on (for some reason). As weird as the guitars and drums sound I think it could have worked as a weird EP of blunter, shorter songs but they tried to drag it out

No solos was a bad move. But! that whole st anger comeback tour was fucking amazing... watching SOAD do a set of first album/toxicity songs as the sun set over reading festival, then metallica come on, I think the time off (relatively) did them some good, james' voice was great etc

Lulu is bizarre and to be honest it makes me laugh. It is the plan 9 from outer space of rock music. But that said I honestly don't doubt that it starts to get under your skin after a few listens

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    They are absolutely incredible live. I don't even like them that much otherwise.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    no theyre not, imo. I love Metallica overall, but theyre old men now. James' voice has been shot since the 90's. Kirk can play pretty sloppy at times, part. his solos. And Lars...well, the man clearly has no interest in keeping up with his craft and has become a piss poor drummer. It's embarrassing watching him flail his way through the faster thrash songs. Rob is a great bassist, but his stage presence is ridiculous/Fieldy-like. James is solid on guitar.

They def. give great energy back to the crowd, but they are a big ol' mess, and have been for at least 6 to 8 years, probably more. If you want a treat, find the 2004 Donington bootleg where Lars couldnt play, and Joey Jordison/Dave Lombardo filled in for the night on drums. It was like a whole new band.

don't even get me started at James' stage banter. ARE YOU ALIIIIIIVVVEE??? DOES IT FEEL GOOD TO BE ALIIIIIIIIIVE? ugh, STOP IT!

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Ugh. I've always hated James' banter. "Hey, baby! It's Metallica, baby!" SHUT UP.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    haha... "Metallica's hear to make you feel gooooooood" etc. aw bless

I met Hetfield once (I was embarassingly mandied up, god knows what he must have thought), he comes across like a shy nerd and has a hand like a leathery foot. Also he was shorter than me - metal win

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I was just at a local record shop here in Seattle and had no idea this was released. It covers the xXx shows in detail and contains a cool little 10" vinyl with two tracks on it. Not a bad deal for only $20

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    don't even get me started at james' stage banter. Are you aliiiiiivvvee??? Does it feel good to be aliiiiiiiiive? Ugh, stop it!
    metallica's family!!

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Anybody see the lineup for this years Orion Festival? Swear to God, these guys have the best taste in music. Fidlar, Deftones, Foals, Joy Formidable, Fu Manchu, Japandroids, Death Grips, Tomahawk, Dillinger Escape Plan. If I weren't planning on Bonnaroo, I'd totally go to it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Even last years lineup was pretty good. Not sure why the festival is in Michigan rather than California though.