Page 12 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: The Relationship Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Thank you, Internet, for starting the annual inundation of bullshit that accompanies Valentine's Day! I'll see you guys on Wednesday.
    Fuck, I'm right with you on this one.
    "If you're single on Valentine's Day, you're the worst person ever!"

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'm married to a woman I don't love. Valentines sucks for me too!

Damn, I need a mistress.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    I'm married to a woman I don't love. Valentines sucks for me too!

Damn, I need a mistress.
    or you could not be a shithead, and get divorced.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heroicraptor View Post
    or you could not be a shithead, and get divorced.
    Irony.

What if they have kids? What if they bought a house and a car and a whole bunch of other things with each other's money? What if they just can't afford to get a divorce? What if they've been married less time than legally required to start divorce proceedings in Canada?

You don't know whether any of that's the case or not. But automatically you assume he's a shithead just for wanting to have a little goddamn sex before going through with all that.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    To shamelessly requote what's on my facebook page: today is happy placate selfish women day. The ratio of roses:blowjobs today is extremely depressing.

What if they've been married less time than legally required to start divorce proceedings in Canada?
    Eh?

Also, trust me, kids caught in the middle of a shitty marriage want nothing more (bar anything unrealistic) than for their parents to get divorced.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

happy valentines day, everyone!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Irony.

What if they have kids? What if they bought a house and a car and a whole bunch of other things with each other's money? What if they just can't afford to get a divorce? What if they've been married less time than legally required to start divorce proceedings in Canada?

You don't know whether any of that's the case or not. But automatically you assume he's a shithead just for wanting to have a little goddamn sex before going through with all that.
    If all of that is true, I think he should still tell her that he no longer loves her at the very least. And I think people that are in loveless relationships 'for the kids' are honestly fucking up their kids more than they realize. They're better off apart.

I understand heroicraptor's statement, as a mistress implies a longer bandaid on a shitty situation than a one time fling. With that said I'm ok with brief flings as long as all parties are aware. I've found myself in the mistress role a number of times. I just wish more people had the guts to be honest and tell their partners about their true needs and not get into relationships when they know they cannot sustain one within monogamous boundaries.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    why do i always feel depressed on valentines day even though I'm not single?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by millionmilesaway View Post
    why do i always feel depressed on valentines day even though I'm not single?
    It's a "give or take" kind of holiday. For me, it seems to matter if there's some level of romantic feeling attached to it. Without it (like now for me), it's just a depressing hole of nothing. But I do feel good for others that see it as something worthwhile to them. My facebook friends are a good example of a bunch of revelers who have no clue how much I'm not into it right now but am OK with their gushing over it. So that's all it really is for me this year: FB friends going cuckoo for coco puffs over it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^^^ You wanna go to Benihana with us? We can drink fruity liquor drinks out of Buddha's belly? And I have CHOCOLATE!!!!

here's a nice doily Valentine's Day card for you (and for everybody else):

Last edited by allegro; 02-14-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    thats it, fruity drinks and chocolate are my valentine this year, screw the boys who never do anything

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Long story short, ex boyfriend broke up with me about 8 weeks ago. Made me feel really shit because I really liked him. But whatever, life goes on. He continues to treat me shitty for the following 4 weeks. Whatever, cut him out. TONIGHT, bump into him on Valentine's Day, with a date. He ditches the date and tries to make a move on me. He lunges in for a kiss, and I deny him. Then I ask him to leave. FEEL AMAZING.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by millionmilesaway View Post
    thats it, fruity drinks and chocolate are my valentine this year, screw the boys who never do anything
    Whoooooo yeah chocolate and Buddha fruity liquor drinks and doily Valentine for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Christo View Post
    FEEL AMAZING
    Whooooooo yeah chocolate and Buddha fruity liquor drinks and doily Valentine for you, too!

Last edited by allegro; 02-14-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i feel that way about most major holidays, though have long since learned not to put too much stock into that sort of thing.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I *love* Valentine's Day! And I'm quite possibly the least romantic person on the planet! But today means CHOCOLATE! And dinner! And fun! Even when I was alone, I'd get together with friends and we'd do a V-Day dinner and eat chocolate and drink wine. Anyone can be your Valentine! I sent my Mom a mushy Valentine's Day card! I got G a giant box of Godivas, and tonight we're going to BENIHANA!

Today, I got one of the best Valentine's Day gifts evar: MY TAX REFUND!!!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    My god that Buddha belly cup is the greatest thing I have ever seen.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Ugh.

So, girl who I was talking about recently who is a friend of my new roommate? Ran into her tonight, along with my roommate and some of their other friends. My roommate has done absolutely nothing to include me in any of their outings, so that's frustrating enough as it is. But then the girl says something like "you know the worst part about being single? Going to bed. Every night. Alone." My roommate - recently divorced, just gives her shit about it. Meanwhile, I want nothing more than to make her realize that I feel the same way. But of course, being pushed out of the group entirely, I couldn't get a word in even if it wouldn't have been awkward.

One of these days. Oy.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Take the plunge and ask her if she'd be up for hanging out some time, just the two of you?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Take the plunge and ask her if she'd be up for hanging out some time, just the two of you?
    I echo this advice. Any type of inclusion you'll have to evidently make yourself involved with. If you'd like to voice your opinions, sentiments and enjoy time with her then asking for a duo meet up together would do better than being with a crowd (don't take this bad towards your friends) that's rude enough to never invite you to anything. Best of luck.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Oh believe me, I want to ask her out - the problem is I've yet to actually see her outside of the rest of the group. I'm all for taking the risk of asking her if I can have a minute alone with her, but at a table with several other people who she's really close with? Not so much.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Oh believe me, I want to ask her out - the problem is I've yet to actually see her outside of the rest of the group. I'm all for taking the risk of asking her if I can have a minute alone with her, but at a table with several other people who she's really close with? Not so much.
    Why don't you ask one of your friends for her phone number? If they ask why, just tell them it's because you like her and wanted to call her and ask her out. You just have to brass-neck it. Seriously, it's a risk / reward set up, and it's good experience.
    Last edited by DF118; 02-15-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    The only person I'm close to who could do that is my roommate - the one who has very deliberately been excluding me from everything that the rest of the group does together. I don't see him coughing up one of their numbers for me, especially when Mr. Recently Divorced And Telling Everyone To Be Single won't so much as invite me to the pub with the gang (and yes, I've told him several times I'd like to get out more and get to know the group).

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I'm not feeling 100% right now, so I don't know if my advice is any good- but you don't know until you try. What's the worst that can happen? He tells you he wont give you her number? If he refuses, he'll likely tell her you asked, and that you told him you liked her. That's... what you want here, brass-necking it and all. You'll know if he did. Then she'll either make it clear she'd welcome an advance- which is good, or she'll make it clear she's not interested. Which is also good- at least you know. Or she'll rip the piss out of you, string you along and let you embarrass yourself and feign ignorance, in which case she can get fucked.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    The only person I'm close to who could do that is my roommate - the one who has very deliberately been excluding me from everything that the rest of the group does together. I don't see him coughing up one of their numbers for me, especially when Mr. Recently Divorced And Telling Everyone To Be Single won't so much as invite me to the pub with the gang (and yes, I've told him several times I'd like to get out more and get to know the group).
    Dude, next time just invite yourself. Sounds to me like you're being way too polite / self-conscious about it.

The thing that has helped me deal with my terrible shyness in large groups is to act like I have a very old woman who doesn't give a shit in my head. I call her Agnes and she's been know to give very wise and crone-ish advise whilst intoxicated.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Well, maybe I am just too damn polite then. But I still generally live by the golden rule. If I was going out with a group and wanted to invite my roommate along, I'd ask. If I didn't ask, and he just showed up anyway, I'd be a bit pissed. Last night was just a strange coincidence that we ended up in the same place - we both started at other locations, and both ended up at the same pub afterwards. But you know what? Screw it. If no one else in the group is willing to stick up and make any effort to include me, then maybe it's not a group of people I really want to get involved with in the first place.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Since you seem adamant no one will help, what if next time she's around with all her friends you simply just said to her "hey, can I talk to you for a second?" and give one of those head motions indicating away from the rest of the group? Yeah, that's a bold approach and everyone will notice, but I'd bet there's a decent shot you'd get your moment alone. And what do you have to lose when it sounds like you're already moving towards writing the group of them off anyways.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Head motions? Totally. Next thing you should do is (without breaking eye contact) start slowly rubbing your nipple.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Exactly. Everyone definitely wouldn't be like: "What the fuck were you two talking about? Seriously? What a fucking weirdo".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Been in an awesome relationship with a girl named Rachel for about a year now, and have known her for two. I am deeply in love.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Started seeing this new girl ago a week ago and things are clicking really well. Pretty excited about it!

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk