Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Cool Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

I'm guessing this thread wont get much popularity on this forum but I personally am a huge fan of Oasis's songwriter's solo career. His first album was stellar and his second just leaked and sounds like the most daring thing he's done and has some incredible moments. Mind you, it's not daring by any other means than his own standards.

Favourites are:
    The Dying of The Light
    While the Song Remains the Same
    Riverman
    The Girl With X-Ray Eyes
    Ballad of the Mighty I

http://www.noelgallagher.com/

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Yes!! Oasis is in my Top 3. Noel is one of the best songwriters of this generation. Easily.
    I love the two singles off of this and can't wait to hear the whole thing. I keep seeing comparisons to (WTS)MG which I find hard to believe, but fuck it if that doesn't excite me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm really enjoying this album so far. I'll have to give it a few more spins, but so far I can't stop listening to "The Right Stuff" -- this song might be my favorite thing he's done as Noel's HFB. And of course the singles are great, too.

Really looking forward to seeing him on tour in May.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    fuck yeah I cannot wait for this record!
    Not been overly impressed with Beady Eye (RIP) but Noel has been on top form for his Flying Birds albums so far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Yes!! Oasis is in my Top 3. Noel is one of the best songwriters of this generation. Easily.
    I love the two singles off of this and can't wait to hear the whole thing. I keep seeing comparisons to (WTS)MG which I find hard to believe, but fuck it if that doesn't excite me.
    In terms of songwriting quality I could agree. The production is definitely better (when you really listen to the sound of it (WTS)MG doesn't sound good...)

But I would personally compare it more to DM in that every song (or almost every song) could be a single!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I seen HFB at Edinburgh Castle. I was bored to almost suicide after half an hour, mind you, it was my mates birthday and he loved it so that's all that matters.

Seen Oasis back in '94 at Glasgow Barrowlands and though I'm not into the band it was a great gig. All that "best band in the world" Liam mumbo jumbo shite wore off after about 5 mins though.
    Last edited by Camille; 02-15-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I'm not a fan of anything the Gallagher brothers produce (except for their constant feuding) but holy shit. Ballad of the Mighty I is one hell of a fine song.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I finally got around to listening to Chasing Tomorrow a few times, and yeah it's a hell of an album. A few of the songs really do get to the same level as some of Oasis' finest tracks. The Dying Of Light is one of Noel's most powerful tracks in quite a long while. It's stunning.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Absolutely LOVED his first solo album and this one is no different Great stuff! Noel IS the better half of Oasis. And he is funny as hell!

Now, I pre-ordered the vinyl from Amazon for $19.99. But on his site it says the vinyl is 180g w/ lyric sheet and the CD of the album for $31.99 (after shipping to the US it comes out to $45)

Im wondering if the Amazon vinyl will be 180g or not. Any clues or past experiences with this dilemma?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    It shouldn't make any difference, except for shipping weight cost. Do you really need the CD?

I don't much care for Noel or Oasis but this interview was great.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It shouldn't make any difference, except for shipping weight cost. Do you really need the CD?

I don't much care for Noel or Oasis but this interview was great.
    Not necessarily but I'd rather have a heavyweight vinyl. I've ordered the same Dillinger record on Amazon 3 times for it to come in on cheap lightweight wax and warped. Would pay the extra $20 if the vinyl on amazon isn't 180g and the CD and lyric sheets are just a bonus.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I still hold out hope that someday there WILL be an Oasis reunion. But in the back of my mind, I know both Gallaghers are way too fucking stubborn to do that.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Oasis will 100 Percent reform within the next decade. Its just one of those splits where you know its not permanent. I reckon they will be touring by the year 2020 again.
    Brothers fight, this split is like the Jesus and Mary Chain one. Or when the Rolling Stones went on a hiatus in the 1980s.
    If the fucking Stone Roses can reform then, Oasis will.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Personally, I'm not the biggest Oasis/Gallagher brothers fan. They are one of the many artists that I always vowed to spend more time with, but just haven't done it. Where is a good place to start (aside from WTSMG and DM).

My friend Emma loves Oasis and wrote a review of the new album. Check it out if you're interested.

http://gutterbubbles.com/album-revie...ing-yesterday/

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    "High Flying Birds" first album is excellent, nothing we haven't head with Oasis but it's great none less, i look forward to get "Chasing tomorrow", heard great things of it...

I'm pretty sure Oasis will reform, though... i guess we'll enjoy HFB while we can...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 02-24-2015 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcspiral View Post
    Personally, I'm not the biggest Oasis/Gallagher brothers fan. They are one of the many artists that I always vowed to spend more time with, but just haven't done it. Where is a good place to start (aside from WTSMG and DM).

My friend Emma loves Oasis and wrote a review of the new album. Check it out if you're interested.

http://gutterbubbles.com/album-revie...ing-yesterday/
    I've fallen in love with Oasis with these songs:

And I'd say go for their album Dig Out Your Soul which was sadly their last as Oasis, but to me it's the one going most places out of all their albums. NGHFB's debut was great too and most people I've shown this album became casual listeners

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    With regards to Oasis, I think Don't Believe the Truth is really underrated.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    It certainly has it's ultra high moments. I think that Keep The Dream Alive is one of the best tracks Oasis have ever done, which isn't even a Noel penned track.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I personally love the relevance in both The Importance of Being Idle and Part of the Queue are. Both very typical Noel tracks too.

I haven't heard Chasing Yesterday yet but the singles excite me a lot and cannot wait to grab the cd next week!

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I might be in the minority here but I really liked Beady Eye and would have loved for them to stay together. Top notch concerts and great experiences! And fuck, am I glad that I have seen Oasis one last time in 2009.

Haven't heard much from Noel's new one but dug back in in his first solo record and renewed my love for it. There's just this time of the year where that kind of music just falls in perfectly. I hope he comes touring this year as I really need an Oasis fix again.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcspiral View Post
    Where is a good place to start (aside from WTSMG and DM).
    For me, Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants is a masterpiece. Criminally underrated. I guess everyone was so sick of the Gallagher brothers by 2000 and folks had moved on to Radiohead. But this record is incredible. Liam's vocals have never sounded better and it is probably my favourite Oasis record in terms of arrangement/production/diversity.

Word of advice though; ignore Little James and Sunday Morning Call straight-away. And substitute them with Let's All Make Believe and Full On (B-Sides from that era). Then you have a legit, 5-star record.

The rest of their discography is sort of a mixed bag. Be Here Now has great moments; some of their best even (D'Ya Know What I Mean, My Big Mouth, Fade-In Fade-Out, Don't Go Away). But it's also got some throwaway tunes (The Girl Who Wears The Dirty Shirt, I Hope I Think I Know) and some bloated ones (All Around The World) and some annoying production qualities (Title Track) and some requisite novelty moments (Magic Pie). So after you sink your teeth into SOTSOG, I would delve right into The Masterplan. And then the first 4-songs on Dig Out Your Soul.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    With regards to Oasis, I think Don't Believe the Truth is really underrated.
    100% Truth!

Love that record but didn't back when I first began. I think my least favorite is DM. Sorry to say, while Be Here Now is my all time favorite. Although I understand everyone hates that record.

After becoming completely enveloped in Be Here Now, I discovered SOTSOG. Gas Panic! is a fucking masterpiece and the live version on Familiar To Millions is a fucking TRIUMPH!

In regards to an Oasis reunion. It is plausible. Noel has mentioned in a lot of interview lately that he would write new songs for Liam.

Also, there were rumors of Damon Albarn and Noel doing a record together sometime this year.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I think the closest we might get to an Oasis reunion would be the Knebworth concert dvd first.

For me it was SOTSOG which I ignored for a long time. I remember it came out on the same day as Pumpkin's Machina was released and I honestly paid more attention to Machina.

Was only after a year, watching Behind the Music: Oasis that made me realise "oh yeah I haven't really listened to that album". Gotta agree with Gas Panic!, such an epic track especially the live version!
    Let's All Make Believe is amazing too...I miss bands who had B-sides as good or better than their A-sides

in ETS tradition, I will rank my fave Oasis albums (to me they didn't release one bad album!)

1. Don't Believe the Truth
    2. (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
    3. Definitely Maybe
    4. Be Here Now
    5. Standing on the Shoulders of Giants
    6. Heathen Chemistry
    7. Dig Out Your Soul

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    My top Oasis albums (and favorite songs) go like this, while personally I listen to "familiar to millions" the most as it's a great live best-of collection.

1. standing on the shoulder of giants (put your money where your mouth is, gas panic!, go let it out, who feels love?)
    2. dig out your soul (bag it up, the turning, shock of the lightning, out of time, falling down)
    3. definitely mabye (live forever, up in the sky, columbia, super sonic, slide away)
    4. heathen chemistry (hindu times, force of nature, better man, little by little, hung in a bad place)
    5. don't believe the truth (lyla, the importance of being idle, the meaning of soul, let there be love)
    6. be here now (d'you know what I mean, be here now)
    7. the masterplan (accquiese, I am the walrus, the masterplan, fade away)
    8. what's the story morning glory (apart from the title track, wonderwall and champagne supernova that record doesn't click with me somehow)

favorite b-sides:

whatever, heroes, going nowhere, street fighting man, let's all make believe, helter skelter, guns (feat. the Prodigy), eyeball tickler, lord don't slow me down and some pretty amazing remixes especially for the dig out your soul era.

solo projects:

1. Beady Eye - different gear
    2. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - s/t
    3. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - chasing yesterday
    4. Beady Eye - BE

Somehow interchanged and combined both solo releases from either Liam or Noel would make two of the best Oasis records ever.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Allright, this should be fun..

Oasis:
    1. (What's The Story?) Morning Glory (first album I ever bought in my life, I was 6 years old!)
    2. Dig Out Your Soul (made me fall in love again with the band)
    3. Heathen Chemistry
    4. Standing on the Shoulder of Giants
    5. Don't Believe the Truth
    6. Be Here Now
    7. The Masterplan
    8. Definitely Maybe

solo:
    1. Chasing Yesterday - NGHFB
    2. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds NGHFB
    3. BE - Beady Eye
    4. Different Gear, Still Speeding -Beady Eye

BTW, the new album (Chasing Yesterday) is now streaming legally in its entirety on iTunes in some countries

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    1. (What's The Story?) Morning Glory
    2. Definitely Maybe
    3. Standing on The Shoulder of Giants
    4. Be Here Now
    5. The Masterplan
    6. Dig Out Your Soul
    7. Don't Believe The Truth
    8. Heathen Chemistry

And for the record, it may be unpopular opinion, but I fucking love the bloated sound of Cocaine on Be Here Now. It has never bothered me, and I honestly can't imagine that album sounding any different.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/c...t-insults.html

These are funny. But the Scissor Sisters one? Oasis = music for squares (with short hair and shirts), at least back in 90s Britain.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Lots of love for Dig Out Your Soul, which I think was a great album! Eyeball Tickler and Gas Panic are also big faves of mine.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/c...t-insults.html

These are funny. But the Scissor Sisters one? Oasis = music for squares (with short hair and shirts), at least back in 90s Britain.
    I know what your trying to say, going to an Oasis gig was literally like going to a football match, thats the best comparison.
    There was nothing 'alternative' about them. They resonated with such a massive audience.
    But i quite liked their attitude. Up to a point. Those interviews are hilarious.

Either way they were signed to Creation Records, an arty Underground indie/Shoegaze label, and their first album is brilliant, Columbia and Supersonic are amazing tunes and i think that Standing on the Shoulders of Giants is underrated too.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    "I did drugs for 18 years and I never got that bad as to say 'you know what? I think the Kaiser Chiefs are brilliant"

lololololol oh my god, YES!