Thread: The Marathon Thread - been bitten by the running bug or just crazy?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The Marathon Thread - been bitten by the running bug or just crazy?

I'm sure there's plenty of marathon runners on this board. Post your experiences.

So far I've run 5 marathons: Baltimore, DC (National and Marine Corps), and Mardid (x2). PR was 3:45, but I'm hoping I can do better.

I've also had to cancel 5 marathons due to injury. Registered for 3 marathons this fall (intended to cancel one), and during my very last long training run ended up with a calf injury. Ugh. What sucks about marathons in the US is that they're damn expensive, they sell out, so you have to register well in advance, and pay for overpriced hotel (Steamtown) and there's no guarantee that you'll be able to have a successful training season. Most marathons don't offer deferrals, or if you do there's a hefty fee attached. Hotels don't do refunds... Think I lost about $400 this fall and I guess I'm still bitter bout it (and yes, nobody forced me to register)

But daaaaamn does it feel good when you reach the finish line!!!

Injuries: shin splints (at the beginning), IT Band and plantar fasciitis at the same time (had to do PT for months), calf injury.

Favorite brands:
    • Shoes: Mizuno all the way
    • Apparel: Sugoi, Pearl Izumi
    • Gel: GU
    Where to shop: http://runningwarehouse.com - great prices (you can always get additional 10% with their predictable monthly promo codes RWNOV2011), no tax (almost all states), 2 days free UPS shipping and free returns!

205787_2001144066790_1189203635_32476128_7795090_n.jpg
    Last edited by konstantin; 12-03-2011 at 09:04 AM.