Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marathon Thread - been bitten by the running bug or just crazy?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Ugh, I fucked up my knees by actually running (on the balls of my feet!) a 5k, and then a week later a mile and half on a tread mill, really pushing myself. A week of pain, I go to the doctor and he tells me "When you're older, you need to properly condition yourself. You need your body's permission, and your body is telling you no!" Heh, he was a cool dude, but now I feel shitty for being old at 23! So now I'm back at the gym doing just walking and biking, with prescription for naproxene and muscle relaxers that I take at night because that's when my knees hurt the most, apparently it's the muscles tightening up and spasming a bit. I just love how well I sleep with it! I wish I slept that well on my own. Anyways, I plan on improving my running and my biking endurance.

Gross, I never thought I'd be capable of saying such words. I was NEVER into this type of exercise, but damn, it feels good to be in shape! I was in shape over last summer because I biked ALL the damn time in Boston but since I left, I've gained 30 fucking pounds- but I didn't loose all my muscle since I've stayed active in one shape or another. I definitely feel my weight though and that's obnoxious.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Marathon Thread - been bitten by the running bug or just crazy?

Hang in there, go slow, it really does come back.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Thanks! Yeah I've been going to the gym almost everyday since the pain actually stopped for most of the day- still feel it twinge slightly- earlier this week, and have done a lot of reading because I'm just walking on the tread mill instead to get myself going, or conditioned I guess is the term. I did some yoga and stationary bike today for the first time so yeah, definitely a slow process.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

I have a friend in her late-20s who trained for a 10 k and got Plantar fasciitis, it took her 9 months to recover.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I will get a chance to run/walk a three mile leg (from the start) of the upcoming Vermont City Marathon as a cancer patient on a team of med students. I'm so fucking thrilled. l'll also be on the local TV news program tomorrow talking about my marathon story. I'm so happy I'm still part of running despite stuck in chemo this year.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    I will get a chance to run/walk a three mile leg (from the start) of the upcoming Vermont City Marathon as a cancer patient on a team of med students. I'm so fucking thrilled. l'll also be on the local TV news program tomorrow talking about my marathon story. I'm so happy I'm still part of running despite stuck in chemo this year.
    This is all kinds of awesome...except for the whole cancer thing, of course. But it sounds like your mind is in a very positive place, congrats on that!

I'd given up on running for a few weeks because I couldn't do it without major knee pain either during or following the run. This weekend, I decided to swap out my "new" shoes (which had been my best pair yet for about 50 miles) with my old, beat up, "I can't believe you run in those" shoes. Had my longest run in a long time, and two days later I'm still pain-free. Chucking the "new" pair and going out in search of a new pair of my beat up ones. It felt so good to be back to pounding pavement!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    This is all kinds of awesome...except for the whole cancer thing, of course. But it sounds like your mind is in a very positive place, congrats on that!

I'd given up on running for a few weeks because I couldn't do it without major knee pain either during or following the run. This weekend, I decided to swap out my "new" shoes (which had been my best pair yet for about 50 miles) with my old, beat up, "I can't believe you run in those" shoes. Had my longest run in a long time, and two days later I'm still pain-free. Chucking the "new" pair and going out in search of a new pair of my beat up ones. It felt so good to be back to pounding pavement!
    Curious what brand your ol ratty pair of shoes are? I'm not a big runner. I honestly don't think I do it right which sounds silly, everyone knows how to run, but my lower back gets tight, my chins hurt, I'm just a generally whiner. I don't need to run a marathon, just more then a mile. I think my shoes are not the best. Sort of mid range mid height Reeboks.
    @sentient02970 TV star. So happy for you bro.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Shoe choice is integral to comfortable running. I went through a couple brands until in landed on a perfect brand and model (Asics Keyano). It will take some shuffling to find those sweet shoes for your feet and gait. Be sure to use a store that offers fitting and gait analysis. It doesn't surprise me that your old pair became the fall back. Glad you rediscovered it. Dra... don't give up on it babe. You'll find the right shoes and get that comfortable run you seek. You just gotta hang in there.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Curious what brand your ol ratty pair of shoes are? I'm not a big runner. I honestly don't think I do it right which sounds silly, everyone knows how to run, but my lower back gets tight, my chins hurt, I'm just a generally whiner. I don't need to run a marathon, just more then a mile. I think my shoes are not the best. Sort of mid range mid height Reeboks.
    @sentient02970 TV star. So happy for you bro.
    My old pair were just some old Asics Gel something or other that I bought at Dick's for ~$40 a couple years ago. Buying running shoes has always been a challenge for me because A) I make absolute shit for money at my job, and B) I have wide feet, so I generally can't even look at a pair of shoes if it's a "medium" width. As virtually every pair is. Finding something I can afford but actually fits me properly is no easy task.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    ^^^ Asics have always been a good shoe for me, and they come in different prices which is nice. Since I started Crossfit, I've been using low profile New Balance and Reeboks which just aren't good. And, I might have a slightly low arch.

The town I live in has not one but two running shoe stores that I know do gait analysis so it's just a matter of getting my butt over there. One of them has done a Running 101 workshop at my gym a couple of times. Everytime, I'm out of town - ARGH.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Funny...I wasn't going to mention it, but NB are the new shoes that went from "awesome" to "ow" very quickly for me. Within the first month of owning them, I did a seven mile run - my best ever - without any pain whatsoever. Less than a month after that, I couldn't get in a 5k without feeling horrible for several days afterward. I was so, so hesitant to blame the shoes. It wasn't until after this last run with the old ones that I've finally accepted that they seem to be the one variable that was screwing with me.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

I have high arches and I also need a wide toe box, and NB are the only shoes that fit me correctly.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I have high arches and I also need a wide toe box, and NB are the only shoes that fit me correctly.
    Which pair do you use? I had picked up the 750s around Christmas, and those were the ones that went from being fantastic to causing major problems in a very short amount of time. I don't want to write off the entire brand; I think it may be model-specific. (And yes, obviously your ideal shoe might not work for me, and vice-versa).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

It could be THAT model shoe for you. Go back to NB and tell them. (did you get them at a NB store?). They have great return policies.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-23-2013 at 02:07 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I run my sixth half-marathon tomorrow.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    Good luck and have fun!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Today is the first day of my training for my second marathon this year. I ran 1.2 in 9:39 and did a cycle session at the gym of 7.35 in 25 minutes. On Wednesday I will do 25 minutes and try to get more mileage and then I'll probably go out and try for a 2 mile run. Throughout the summer and hopefully by the end of July I will have good speed. I'll start my long distance running at the beginning of June.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    Guess that doesn't count as three full marathons.. Heh heh.

I biked to avoid running at Crossfit the other day. I suck.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Today I went running to this, and it works wonders: (yes, as an 8 year old I used to believe I was Rocky)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I honestly don't think I do it right which sounds silly, everyone knows how to run, but my lower back gets tight, my chins hurt, I'm just a generally whiner.
    Actually, there is such a thing as running the wrong way.

I have a coworker who has a college scholarship as a runner (yes, that exists), and he gave me some awesome tips on how to place your feet as you step down (mid section down, not the heels), how not to put your steps ahead of your body but under it, etc.

So feel free to look into it, bad running can absolutely cause trouble (it caused me quite knee pain when I first started).

On the shoe front, I couldn't be happier with my Reebok Zigtech shoes, I put a good 500 miles in them and they're still holding up pretty well (although it is time to invest in a new pair).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If people want tips on good running style, I highly suggest reading Born to Run. There's a lot of stuff about barefoot running in there too which is interesting, and it's overall just very motivational if you feel like more often than not you have to drag yourself out the door for a jog.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sukey View Post
    If people want tips on good running style, I highly suggest reading Born to Run. There's a lot of stuff about barefoot running in there too which is interesting, and it's overall just very motivational if you feel like more often than not you have to drag yourself out the door for a jog.
    Indeed, that was a fantastic book. I was incredibly saddened last year to read about Micah True's disappearance/passing.

As for running and form, I've grown extremely confused on that topic. I hear so many wildly varying opinions on how you're supposed to strike the ground, and I've made very conscious efforts to practice every one of them to see which seems to cause the least discomfort for me. Contrary to all the support for minimalist/barefoot running, striking the ground with a flatter (not heal > toe) stride doesn't seem to help me at all, and sometimes ends up resulting in severe knee pain.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I've heard about avoiding heel strikes, but then I think about it too much and literally run on the balls of my feet, like tippy toe and THAT can't be right. Also, I try to tuck my pelvis that then arch my lower back - yoga style. None of this helps the chins hurting and the lungs burning. I smoked for years and even though I'm 6 years since I quit, I don't feel completely 100%, at least not at a distance more then 800 meters. I just have to get the stride right and do the typical beginners pacing - run, walk, run, walk, run a little more etc. Thanks for all the tips folks!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've heard about avoiding heel strikes, but then I think about it too much and literally run on the balls of my feet
    I've been running like that for a couple of years now and have found a good angle that works for me. It naturally gives my legs a cushion and bounce, pretty much "energy recycling".

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

None of this helps the chins hurting and the lungs burning. I smoked for years and even though I'm 6 years since I quit, I don't feel completely 100%, at least not at a distance more then 800 meters. I just have to get the stride right and do the typical beginners pacing - run, walk, run, walk, run a little more etc. Thanks for all the tips folks!
    When you say "chins," do you mean "shins?"

If you mean shins and lungs, yes, you work your way up to that going away.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Too funny. Yes, I meant shins. A couple of my yoga instructors say 'shins in' but it sounds like ' chins in'. Drrrrr.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Congrats on quitting the smoking Dra. That makes you awesome in my book.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I went for a 13 mile run last Saturday, and it felt great, even the blazing Florida heat couldn't spoil it.

I start my marathon-specific training tomorrow (for the one in Savannah GA in November) with 10 miles. I posted my run schedule on the fridge this afternoon, and it makes me all excited and happy. 17 weeks to go!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I went out today and did a 5.5 mile run - It was pretty great. I have to get back in it quick, ATL is coming up in Oct. and I've been slacking off.

7/10 EDIT: I did a 8.17 bike ride today in 25 minutes. I plan on running tomorrow morning at least 5 miles if it isn't raining.
    Last edited by REPLICA; 07-10-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've got six weeks to gear up for a 10k. I think mainly what worries me is getting a cold between now and then. For some reason I always get sick when I train hard. Any ideas on avoiding it?