Came Back Haunted
    The Great Destroyer
    Eraser
    Wish
    Burn
    The Hand That Feeds
    Head Like a Hole
    Hurt"

i am looking forward to see nin in berlin next week.
    it will be my seventh nine inch nails-concert i am attending since 1999.

but actually i am kinda disappointed with this setlist because it turns out to be another "greatest hits"-tour once again.

i remember the last "comeback" in 2005, saw nin in berlin and in france ("eurockennes festival") that year and as far as i remember the setlist had far more "with teeth"-tracks on it than now with "hesitation marks".

there are so many "new" songs i would like to see live.
    frankly i do not really care that much about "wish", "burn", "piggy" or "the hand that feeds" anymore. i still like the synths of "thtf" but the song is pretty silly.

i really enjoyed "hesitation marks" in terms of a different nin-flavour. now it seems it is going to be the same stuff all over again.

well... i gladly paid more than 50 euros for one ticket and i hope they might play a pretty different playlist since it is the first standalone-concert in germany since years (2007, am i right?) and the only one this year (besides the festival "rock am ring").

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I always feel the same way: there's thousands of people in every crowd who've never seen NIN before. Play the classics with some deep cuts, not all deep cuts just to fuck the fans. There's 6 singles in that entire set, for many bands that's low.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I always feel the same way: there's thousands of people in every crowd who've never seen NIN before. Play the classics with some deep cuts, not all deep cuts just to fuck the fans. There's 6 singles in that entire set, for many bands that's low.
    What are you counting as singles?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    ...Songs released as a single?
    MotP
    Closer
    CBH
    THTF
    HLAH
    Hurt

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Goes up if you count promo singles, though. Wish, Copy of A, Burn etc.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ...Songs released as a single?
    MotP
    Closer
    CBH
    THTF
    HLAH
    Hurt
    Yeah. What are you counting as songs released as singles? (Songs with videos, songs with Halos, songs with promo releases, songs with radio play?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    as i said: "greatest hits"

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Something that was commercially available to the public as a standalone release. If I only counted halos, there'd be 4 after all.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dissi View Post
    . . . i hope they might play a pretty different playlist since it is the first standalone-concert in germany since years (2007, am i right?) and the only one this year (besides the festival "rock am ring").
    Since it's the first in that long, doesn't it make sense to do a bunch of the better known tracks with deeper cuts sprinkled in? If in the past 7 years since the date you mentioned, they've gained any new fans in Germany, then all of those are fans who have never seen any of these songs live before. Even for long-time fans, it's been 5 years since they last played there whatsoever, so any setlist should be "fresh" in a way, since there's literally no way you've gotten to see it recently at all.

Besides, I wouldn't call Me, I'm Not or The Great Destroyer greatest hits whatsoever, and TGD is a pretty recent staple. They brought back The Becoming and Eraser for the first time since the NIN rezzurection, and this was the first date of the tour, which traditionally has always been more "standard" so to speak.

Oh and also, I want to clarify that I do agree that a setlist with less singles/staples would be nice, but ultimately that's just a part of how this works for almost any band out there, and NIN is still more diverse/changing live than a lot of other established acts.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 05-07-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I mean, NIN's biggest hits are probably like, Only, The Perfect Drug, Closer, THTF and WITT. If he doesn't play TPD and WITT, it's not a greatest hits set, simple as that.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    I unfacepalmed...

I understand your point.

I agree about Wish, HLAH, CBH, Only and more of that....
    My wishlist would only contain songs with more caliber. But he needs to satisfied a bride tast.

Anyway, I'm happy the show is well balanced musically and visually.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    as i said: "greatest hits"
    So like... What do you expect to be played at a concert?

As has been stated time and time again, we are basically the 1% of NIN fandom. If Trent caters to what WE would like to hear, he will go broke with the quickness. He's has to put asses in seats, so to speak.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I wouldn't worry too much. I saw them in Dublin in 2007, which was pretty much just singles/well-well known tracks + No You Don't, and it was a great show.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    wish they would play Everything and Kinda, I Want To on this tour *fingers crossed*

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    So like... What do you expect to be played at a concert?

As has been stated time and time again, we are basically the 1% of NIN fandom. If Trent caters to what WE would like to hear, he will go broke with the quickness. He's has to put asses in seats, so to speak.
    If I was a European fan (and I'm not) and for a standalone concert, I would expect to see a 35-40% Greatest Hits setlist + 40-50% Hesitation Marks + 10-20% deep cuts. This is for a standalone concert during the Hesitation Marks promotional run. For a European festival, yeah, I'd expect the setlist that was played in Riga yesterday. I think we're underestimating the "average fan" (whatever the hell this means) that goes to a NIN concert today. Yeah, some of them (maybe most of them) will not be wanting to hear a deep-cuts heavy concert, but I bet a lot of them would want to hear a bigger portion of the new record, given that this is the tour for said record.

The Riga setlist only has 3 Hesitation Marks songs out of 19, 15%. I'd personally like to hear more HM in a standalone concert.
    Last edited by cahernandez; 05-07-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    some of your answers are a bit depressing.
    of course i am interested in trent putting asses in seats but i also thought when nin wove goodbye it was about not wanting to repeat itself in an endless loop.
    the only thing i was whining about was that i'd like to have far more "hesitation marks" on the setlist (like "i would for you", "various methods of escape").
    should be easy to skip some old stuff instead.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    wish they would play Everything and Kinda, I Want To on this tour *fingers crossed*
    I'd actually love to hear those two tracks, not trolling or anything. Everything to replace 1,000,000.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Something that was commercially available to the public as a standalone release. If I only counted halos, there'd be 4 after all.
    I guess I'm not understanding your definition. Like, why Hurt and not Piggy (released as a promo and on FDTS) or Burn (promo and video) or Copy of A (released as a digital single) or Wish (promo and video)? Guess what I'm getting at is that there aren't many singles in the set list because it's hard to define what are NIN singles and that's different from what are NIN hits or NIN classics anyway.

the only thing i was whining about was that i'd like to have far more "hesitation marks" on the setlist (like "i would for you", "various methods of escape"). should be easy to skip some old stuff instead.
    This is totally reasonable, but you should have posted your opinion in the "Nine Inch Nails - 2014 Tour Discussion/Speculation" thread. If you read through some of that thread, you'd realize that there are people that agree with you and could have just said your opinion in a sentence or two.
    Last edited by m15a; 05-07-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Having a video doesn't make it a single, and being a promo doesn't make it a single, no matter what. If you do include singles, sure there's more, but you could play a true greatest hits show with this as your setlist http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Definitive_NIN_-_The_Singles

Basically, fuck it. He's not playing for people who've seen NIN ten times this tour, he's not playing for people who lament that one song has been played 74 times whilst another only 73, he's playing to make a good, enjoyable show. And if you claim you didn't love hearing Closer, Hurt, THTF or Terrible Lie for the first time when you saw them live, you're a fucking liar.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    some of your answers are a bit depressing.
    of course i am interested in trent putting asses in seats but i also thought when nin wove goodbye it was about not wanting to repeat itself in an endless loop.
    the only thing i was whining about was that i'd like to have far more "hesitation marks" on the setlist (like "i would for you", "various methods of escape").
    should be easy to skip some old stuff instead.
    Yeah I want more of the new album too, but I think we're jumping the gun here as Riga is somewhere they've never played before

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    And if you claim you didn't love hearing Closer, Hurt, THTF or Terrible Lie for the first time when you saw them live, you're a fucking liar.
    Truth. When I was going to my first shows in 2005, all I wanted to hear was Sin and TDTWWA and I was so happy I got them. Like, ridiculously happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    This is totally reasonable, but you should have posted your opinion in the "Nine Inch Nails - 2014 Tour Discussion/Speculation" thread. If you read through some of that thread, you'd realize that there are people that agree with you and could have just said your opinion in a sentence or two.
    well thank you. as obvious i havent been very busy in these forums lately. i even couldn't remember my login from the decade ago.
    the problem is "hesitation marks" didnt suck. i think its the best nin-album since "the fragile".

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Having a video doesn't make it a single, and being a promo doesn't make it a single, no matter what. If you do include singles, sure there's more, but you could play a true greatest hits show with this as your setlist http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Definitive_NIN_-_The_Singles

Basically, fuck it. He's not playing for people who've seen NIN ten times this tour, he's not playing for people who lament that one song has been played 74 times whilst another only 73, he's playing to make a good, enjoyable show. And if you claim you didn't love hearing Closer, Hurt, THTF or Terrible Lie for the first time when you saw them live, you're a fucking liar.
    Terrible Lie wasn't a single . . . and neither was Hurt by your definition. I mean, there are 10 songs from the updated "The Definitive NIN" on there. About half of the concert. Maybe it should be more, maybe it should be less.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I think where things get convoluted are with the following statements;
    a) Most people on this board are hardcore fans who want to hear a ton of rare stuff and The Fragile (arguably his least popular album commercially)
    b) Trent thinks most people that come to his show want the hits and he doesnt want to dissapoint.

Fair points on both ends. Problem is, I think both perspectives are incorrect, at least on the surface. Due to lack of articulation, awareness, etc.

I think fans, hardcore NIN fans or music fans in general, or otherwise, all want to hear the "best" possible show. Now that is a very broad definition, and some multi show junkies or people stuck in the 90's aside, in general that would probably include some new stuff, the classics, and a couple nuggets of specialness. Just as a loose definition, work with me here. The best possible show would or should also would include some element of growth for the people that have seen them before whether it be once 10 years ago or on the last tour, etc. Basically as an artist, to hit the road again, one would hope they are trotting out something new *musically* for the world to see.

Trent thinks he is accomplishing that, because given his current incarnation of the band, what he has the ability to play in terms of his range, etc, and he wouldn't be wrong. If you asked him point blank if he thinks he is putting on the best nin show he could, I think he'd say fuck yeah and it would be hard to argue with him. It IS a pretty good setlist and had I been there last night, I'd probably be hard pressed to say I walked out anything less than satisfied.

Although I'll still try.

I would argue that the current setlists do not show the range NIN are capable of. I would also argue that the way he sells the band in the media, each leg being different etc, is kind of a cop out since 8 piece aside they are pretty much all the same. Now he can't see that, because of all the work on his end. His over attention to detail has compromised him from looking at a NIN show without bias since these little changes are huge things to adjust to in the great big machine that is his band that he has to manage. And I understand that. But if you were to take any of the recent shows since the return, and put them side by side to someone who has never seen NIN, I think they would be hard pressed to pick a favourite. A different video screen here, a couple stellar female back up singers there, but all more or the less the same songs presented the same way. TR would probably be furious to read that, because to him that's not his truth.

Point being, he's challenging himself in all the wrong ways as a touring artist right now with the NIN banner. There is no other side of spectrum to compare it to. It's not like he has done an experimental tour to contrast it with, so I don't know how we can define what the "best" NIN show would be any more. Is it a large band? Is it a 4 piece? Is it with video screens or without? How would we know when all the shows are eerily similar despite those differences. I have seen NIN 15 times in the last few years, and I will say that the With Teeth leg was unique. LITS was unique. But since then it's all been a mish mash at best with some external factors changing, but the songs, the experience, still remaining more or less the same.

I'm going again to the soundgarden tour again, not expecting anything different, but because there's no where else I'd rather be that night than hearing the same old songs. And that's good enough for me. But it's not as good as it could be, and that's what's frustrating, that it's not the "best" NIN show possible to showcase the experience of being a fan of the band, and we don't need a deep cut filled setlist for that to be the case. You want to create new fans? It doesn't mean you can't play the hits but you need for your set to incorporate the direction of where your work is currently heading (Not sure if 2 HM songs is doing justice to that), and/or throwback to what made you who you are, even if that's not who you are now, in a creative and fresh way (ala the Sanctified rework)

We need for there to be a thought process and a direction, not just these are the best nin songs I wrote so I'm going to play them and hope people don't get bored so here's a couple new distractions. I feel like the opposite started briefly with Tension and then quickly lost its way. You have a new record, and you should structure your setlists around that, and find the right songs to fit in between the gaps, and compliment them, and contrast them. Cue Into the Void, for example. A great track being busted out in the middle of some new stuff where it fit perfectly. Except how many times was that played? Instead it became the same songs, and less HM as time went on, and no real storytelling attempted. A NIN set should be a journey that starts some place, and ends up somewhere completely different. The last few years every journey starts and ends in the same place (with early parts of Tension notwithstanding).

People call this a greatest hits set list. And that's probably not because it's filled with singles although that's how it comes across, its because the structure and the journey are lazy and/or unfocused in the right areas. The same songs in the same areas for years upon years, hard to feel like your growing with the artists, that your being transported in an experience, no matter how much you try to dress it up. There is no instrumental section (he has a HUGE instrumental catalogue and at best will play one track from it), there aren't tracks that span the entirely of the catalogue (severe lack of Fragile, PHM, WT), nor is there an intended focus in one specific area either (if you want to do a TDS tour that's cool but own it). It's a hodge podge of what TR has designated to sound the best, and much to our dismay a lot of that hasn't changed.

To conclude; To TR that current setlist is, right now, his best version of the band that he would show someone seeing them live for the first time. I would suggest that it could be much, much better, trying to be as unbiased as possible in saying that, since I have seen them plenty of times, and I'm not suggesting TPD and WITT need to make appearances for that to happen. I'm suggesting the setlists need a focus, and the same thing he accuses other bands of doing, being cowardly and refusing to grow, is exactly what he is doing here with his sets, but he's too bogged down in it to see it. You can create a new journey with the same songs, you just need break it all down and start from scratch. And the best way to do that is with the new material and work your way backward. Like I said that started to happen with ITV, Sanctified, all of the HM stuff, but he's gotten lazy and gone away from that again to what's comfortable since he's constantly having to make changes to the band members, the presentation, etc all of the stuff that is NOT the music!

On this tour, the sets will prob range from 20-22 songs.
    7 of those should be HM tracks, 7 should be the hits (triple H, closer, march), that much I think we can all agree upon. It's how you break down that remaining 7 that's elusive. Problem is right now your not getting 7 HM tracks, so instead of 7 you have 11-13 free range tracks, and all but 2 or 3 of those are pretty much the same every night, with of course the hits being the same every night and in the same place as well, compounding it making it that much more of a problem.

Truthful, savvy artists aren't going to cater to the new fans, or the old fans, or fucking anyone - they are going to try and put on the best show that reflects them as the artist they are today, because that is what will sell records and bring people back. As a fan it's confusing and I dont know how TR doesnt see that, because the directive in regards to the new material and how he feels about it is one thing, but there is a huge disconnect in terms of how that material is treated live, on its own AND in conjunction with the rest of his catalogue, basically outside of an Oct-November window of last year where he kind of got it right.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Good points, I mostly agree. Personally, I'm just a little tired of the whole "fuck Europe (or any other place that's not the US)" attitude. The US got a huge production, 8-piece-band, +/- 26 songs including an epic 4-7 song encore. Once again Europe is getting a stripped-down version, barely any new tracks and no groundbreaking show NIN is so famous in the States for. My friend, who's a casual NIN listener even said recently "oh, now I see why people in the States like NIN so much" after he had seen the Tension footage.

Right now the visuals seem to be great, but not very inspired or groundbreaking, but I can live with that. I had the pleasure to see NIN last year in Milan, the only non-festival show and the setlist was great and the visuals just mindblowing (I still think the festival tour intro/setup is the best live thing NIN has done in years). Now seeing this setlist, which features 16 of the 20 songs played that I already saw last year, I'm a little disappointed. Where are live surprises like All The Love In The World? Where are the 25+ mega shows?

I know most people would leave a concert disappointed because they didn't get to hear Closer or Hurt or whatever, so I do understand the whole situation. Maybe I'm just bummed that the US, as always, gets the epic stuff, while the rest of the world gets the standard NIN treatment.

Probably after seeing tomorrow's setlist I'll completely change my mind, as always, seeing that he actually did switch it up and I'm happy again. As always.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    All I want is Maybe Just Once segued into Everything, is it too much to ask?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    What I'm getting from the @AgentofChaos post above is that you think Trent is doing what he thinks is best, but you think that he should do what you think is best and somehow you think that you know what's best for other fans, too. You say "I would argue that the current setlists do not show the range NIN are capable of. I would also argue that the way he sells the band in the media, each leg being different etc, is kind of a cop out since 8 piece aside they are pretty much all the same" but I don't see where you're actually arguing on those points. From what I'm reading, you're just saying those things with the only support being that you feel that way.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I reckon no one who complains about apparent lack of diversity in a setlist is a musician, and assumes every band member has the entire NIN catalogue memorised.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    I'd actually love to hear those two tracks, not trolling or anything. Everything to replace 1,000,000.

I thought I was tired of hearing 1,000,000 live...but I'd take it over Everything. I've still only listened to that song one time; on the initial front to back listen of the album. There was something about it that really just rubbed me the wrong way, and as soon as I hear it starting up if I'm listening on shuffle, I quickly skip to another song.