Mentioned
    112 Post(s)

Transformers: Age of Extinction

O_O

CALLING IT NOW.
    MOVIE OF THE YEAR.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Im so stoked on those dinos. Not gonna lie.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    No way @Hazekiah dude, Movie of the year is gonna go to the TMNT reboot! This will come in a close 2nd.

(oh i'm gonna get soooo flamed for this, and it may seem like sarcasm, but I am 100% dead serious. These are the 2 films I am most excited for this year)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Maybe all transformers will finally extinct in it so there will be no more Transformers movies after this.
    Considering this, yeah it has some potential.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    It definatly looks like it's a more mature/darker movie that they keep saying it is. Less silly slapstick comedy is good in my books.
    I thought the first film was great. It had just the right amount of of comedy and action to not make it super over the top stupid like the second movie did.
    The second movie was such an abomination, they couldn't even redeem themselves with the third one.

Least they got Optimus right with the flat nosed semi now... Least his new "hidden" form with that busted up truck... He'll probably transform into the new and improved piece of garbage semi we're all used to by the end of the film.

Plus Dinobots! Grimlock! How can you go wrong.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg omfg

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    I've been living on the road since before filming even STARTED for TF:AoE so apologies for my extended absence! I'm STILL on the road but I have a semi-functional smartphone now at least AND I'm kinda back home in Chicago now so I'm couchsurfing here until the movie comes out, damnit!

Mostly because there's no IMAX screen anywhere NEAR my "home" destination and partly because I've seen EVERY SINGLE Midnight premiere of the TF movies right here.

So THIS time I'm doing the SAME thing I did the last time around.

NAVY PIER IMAX 3D
    FRONT ROW TICKETS
    DEAD F^CK!NG CENTER
    @ 9 PM & MIDNIGHT
    BACK-TO-BACK, FFS!!!

HUZZAH!!!

\o/

Anyone else?

I'm also chasing Dolby ATMOS (Quasi-) IMAX 3D theaters all day long on the 27th since it's the first FULL day it's out, of course.

Anyone else have any interesting opening night/day plans?

A/S/L, lol

But seriously...I'll be front row center at the Navy Pier IMAX for SIX HOURS straight if anyone wants to hang or have a drink or a smoke or w/e!

And if you DO or DO NOT want to be watching this movie near the MOST enthusiastic and intoxicated fan on the planet, well...FAIR WARNING.

>;)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    After Revenge of the Fallen I vowed to never go to another movie on opening day. It wasn't even that the movie sucked, there's just too many god damn people on opening day for IMAX movies. I kind of doubt I'll even see this in the IMAX cause I moved and live about a half hour away from the IMAX now.

I'll probably end up seeing this on a weeknight the week after it releases.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I have tickets for Thurs night 9pm IMAX but it looks like I'm going to have to pass them on to a friend, as I have to attend an nba draft party that night instead now. Hopefully I'll see it the following day. Revenge of the Fallen almost ruined me on the franchise, it took me a long time after Dark of the Moon released on dvd to even stomach watching it I was so turned off. It was not as good as the first, miles ahead of the second. I kinda hope Extinction will be better than Moon, but don't expect it to be better than the first. Kelsey Grammar factor excites me. Love the trailer line; "I'm going to ask you this once; where is Optimus Prime?"

And for the love of christ, please reuse the bad ass theme from the first film. I feel like they had so many good chances in DotM to use it and they abandoned it completely (save maybe one slight variation of it? Can't recall it's been a while). I just remember being disappointed that in two films you had a chance to use this awesome recurring theme and just completely wasted it. Maybe it's just me, but this is what I associate with autobots rolling out in my head (theme starts at approx 2:30);

Last edited by AgentofChaos; 06-19-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    The only 2 movies left this year I am stoked beyond belief for are the TMNT reboot and this. I'll be seeing this movie on opening day, as I have with the last 3.
    I only watched a few of the teaser trailers that came out back around the superbowl, so i've been staying away from any of the new trailers so I don't get too much of the movie spoiled for myself.

I already have a good feeling that it'll be worlds better than Revenge of the Fallen. I have something embarrassing to admit though, for some reason... I can't explain, I enjoyed Revenge when I saw it in the theatre. Then it wasn't until I bought it on DVD when I re-watched it, I finally realized what a horrible piece of garbage the entire movie was. So many terrible plot points, acting, horrible jokes. The movie as a whole was just garbage. I don't know why I enjoyed it so much the first time I saw it. Maybe I was just trying to convince myself it was good.

I think the first one still stands the test of time as a decent Transformers movie, that one I can watch again and again and not have it seem stupid to me. I even enjoy dark of the moon. The final battle scene in downtown Chicago was awesome, how basically every one of your favorite transformers got obliterated. That last 30 minute scene makes up for the rest of the subpar 2 hours that leads up to it, because think about it... what do we really want from a Transformers movie? We want 2 hours of giant robots fighting. That's all we really want. I don't give 2 shits about the human element of the storyline. It's just there to bring in people who were not a fan of the cartoon in the 80's so they have something they can relate to.

Oh well, no matter what anyone says, Transformers movies will always be a guilty pleasure of mine.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentofChaos View Post
    And for the love of christ, please reuse the bad ass theme from the first film. I feel like they had so many good chances in DotM to use it and they abandoned it completely (save maybe one slight variation of it? Can't recall it's been a while). I just remember being disappointed that in two films you had a chance to use this awesome recurring theme and just completely wasted it. Maybe it's just me, but this is what I associate with autobots rolling out in my head (theme starts at approx 2:30);
    I 100% agree. I think that should've been a recurring score in the other two movies, it's great in the first movie. But instead we got Linkin Park songs.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This fucking turd of a film is just shy of 3 hours and only features the Dinobots for about 15 minutes.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    THREE HOURS? God damn...

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Well... 157 mins to be exact. Which isn't quite 3 hours. Not sure if that running time includes credits or not, but with commercials, movie trailers and/or credits included to that time, expect to be sitting in the theatre for close to 3 hours.

And I hope to god the Dinobots are not in it for just 15 mins... That almost makes me want to boycott this film now. The trailers/internet/marketing/toys are making it seem like the Dinobots are the bulk of the storyline.

EDIT: I love how this article from over a year ago: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=77992 says that Transformers 4 is going to have a shorter running time than the 3rd movie (dark of the moon). Yet I checked it's running time... 154 mins... and T4 is 3 mins longer... LOL... so much for that plan!
    Last edited by ManBurning; 06-20-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    If they're only in it for 15 minutes I'm going to be a lot more disappointed in this movie than I already expected to be

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Eh sometimes less is more, ala Joker in TDK. You could do a lot in 15 minutes of screen time if you utilize the time correctly. I'm not too worried. It's not to say it can't be screwed up, it fully could be, but I'll reserve judgement until I see how the pacing of the film is in comparision.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    This fucking turd of a film is just shy of 3 hours and only features the Dinobots for about 15 minutes.

How else are you going to fit in all that subtle product placement?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    How else are you going to fit in all that subtle product placement?
    LOL. There's literally a scene where a Transformer destroys a Budweiser truck and Marky Mark stares at it and grabs a can of Budweiser that survived it, cracks it open, and then chugs it with the logo facing right at the screen.

AND YES GUYS DINOBOTS ARE ONLY IN IT FOR 15 MINUTES.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Sounds like you guys have all been Michael Bayed. Whatever that means.

I tried to get into that franchise, I really did but for some reason (Shia Labeouf) I can't even make it through the first film.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So what you're saying is..... movie of the year?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Copy-pasting my review from elsewhere:

If you didn't care for any of the prior three entires - and lord knows I sympathize if you didn't - you won't find much of anything to like here. You can stop reading now and I won't be offended.

I can say three nice things about the movie off the bat:
    1) The action scenes are of course a thrill to watch
    2) The movie is better for the lack of any prior human characters. Kelsey Grammer and Mark Wahlberg are welcome additions to the cast. But most importantly:
    3) The Transformers are the real focus here. For the first time, it doesn't feel like a movie about people you don't care for guest starring alien robots with less personality than their 30-year old cartoon counterparts and a mad-on for blowing stuff up. The Autobots of this chapter - I stress that, Autobots - are the most memorable and likeable since the first movie, and I hope most of them stick around. They actually feel like characters. Lockdown's the best villain the series has had, bar none. It's amazing. Just don't expect too much of the Dinobots.

The plot isn't bad - without getting into it in much detail, there's actually some really good concepts going on here sandwiched between buildings collapsing and other very important things that are brushed off without reasonable explanation (or, likely, being left for sequels). In the hands of a better director, such things could be explored more fully. As it is, here they're plot devices introduced in order to bring you the next big bad to blow stuff up with.

A lot of the problems present of old persist. Racial profiling is muted, but still just present enough to be a wee bit uncomfortable. There's still nobody near close to an interesting leading lady (Nicola Peltz is there to literally fuel tensions between Marky Mark and Jack Reynor, scream, and run from things). We may be free of John Tuturro's overacting, but we've switched up for Stanley Tucci as comic relief - though he does get a few good scenes. Also: were you a fan of the cheesy, forced bonding moments between two people while their lives are in danger and they face impossible choices? No? How about Optimus Prime's traditional movie-ending messages? No? Too bad, you're getting 'em again - this time wincingly painful to the point of self-parody.

But the movie's own worst enemy is its pacing. As bad as or worse than Revenge Of The Fallen, to the point where you could shave off entire fight scenes because they're literally there to be fight scenes. There is absolutely NO reason this film had to be three hours long. None at all. Shave off 45 minutes worth of buildings going kaboom and you'd have the best movie in the series. There might actually be more of that happening than all three prior entries combined and holy shit how do you HAVE too much action in an action movie?

I'm almost at a loss here. There's a fair bit to like, but I find the nicest things I can say are that it somewhat tries to fix some things that have been really dragging down the series (bad characters, toilet humor, Shia Laboeuf, pro USA military stance). It just doesn't QUITE get there. It's a better than average Michael Bay Transformers movie, a decent blockbuster, and a terrible movie, if that makes sense. 2nd best Bay TF film. That's not saying much, but it's something. I guess.

A very generous 7/10. Still not up to the first, miles above the dull third, and terrible second films, the latter of which remains a possible argument for all of existence being a form of hell.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 06-27-2014 at 01:17 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    2/10. What the hell is wrong with people.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Yeah, I think I'm done with this franchise. I'm not getting tricked into paying for another one of these movies. The movie was waaaay too bloody long. They could have shaved off a good 30 mins if not more.

Was better than the second movie, but that's not hard to accomplish. They got rid of ALOT of the dopey humor from the first trilogy, which was a nice warm welcome.
    No more dogs humping dogs or parents getting stoned and running around.

Glad they rebooted the cast. Mark Walberg was actually a decent choice for the lead role in this movie. I didn't mind the female lead either (name slipping my mind), but she was better than Megan Fox and whoever her replacement was in the third film.

There was just too much bullshit in the movie. I was bored through half of it. Maybe i'm just getting too old for these kinda movies, but I couldn't wait til the credits started rolling and I could leave the theatre. It had the total transformers formula down to a T. A buncha humans talk about alien conspiracy stuff and how they want to get rid of the Transformers, the Transformers come out of hiding, a couple battles break loose, some more human jibber-jabber that leads up to an ultimate 30 min showdown between everyone in the middle of a major city and at the end Optimum Prime gives a speech about who he is and how he saved the planet and a rock song starts.

It's the Transformers formula down to a T.

Also, the screen time for the Dinobots was fine. It just seems like they were thrown in there at the last minute to please fans. I couldn't imagine this movie of 3 hours of Dinobots, it would have been stupid. The amount of time they got was essential enough to the story that it wasn't overkill.

Spoiler:
    Not like Any of them talked anyway, they were just used to win the final battle. Just the "secret special weapon" that just happened to be locked up inside the space ship that the Autobots fled out of Lockdown's main ship with.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus T. Cosmonaut View Post
    2/10. What the hell is wrong with people.
    On a scale of actual movies, I think that's about fair. I later edited my elsewhere review to reflect more accurately that I'd give it a 7/10 for a Michael Bay film.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    This one was much better than Dark of the Moon. Actually, this Transformers may be the best of the lot. I was entertained most of the way through (except for the first segment where a lot of time is spent inside Lockdown's ship). The CEO character Joshua was having me bust a gut. And then there are moments in this movie that you just feel like a kid..... you feel, wow holy shit this is cool... like when one of the characters gets molten-metaled and Lockdown in car mode drives by in slow-motion... or when Optimus in semi-truck mode "upgrades" on the road from his junked camouflage. I actually loved this movie. I never thought I'd truly enjoy a Transformers movie.

ALSO:

Note the propaganda messages in this film... I'm sure the American government or some interest groups pushed for them. The American flag appears in several sequences and is connected to several events and characters. Each sequence or appearance of the flag is subtly connected with what is present with it, or the current situation or the sequence.

Take one example: A car smashes through a building, driving through we see the American flag followed by a giant police agency logo. Implication: The Americans are the police. This is an international blockbuster film. The Americans continue to subtly program the world's masses through media propaganda.

Last point:

I am not being sarcastic or anything when I say that this movie made me believe that Michael Bay is a genius. He is.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 07-02-2014 at 02:52 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Annnnnnd we have this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...S4W/comingsoon

Gotta admit, that statue looks pretty badass and I wouldn't mind picking one up. Although I don't give a rats ass if I ever see this movie again (Don't wanna waste another 3 hours of my life sitting though it, toooo long), i'd love that statue for display. And for $80... that's not a bad price. Buy the box set and sell the blu-ray on eBay for $20.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    This one was much better than Dark of the Moon. Actually, this Transformers may be the best of the lot. I was entertained most of the way through (except for the first segment where a lot of time is spent inside Lockdown's ship). The CEO character Joshua was having me bust a gut. And then there are moments in this movie that you just feel like a kid..... you feel, wow holy shit this is cool... like when one of the characters gets molten-metaled and Lockdown in car mode drives by in slow-motion... or when Optimus in semi-truck mode "upgrades" on the road from his junked camouflage. I actually loved this movie. I never thought I'd truly enjoy a Transformers movie.

ALSO:

Note the propaganda messages in this film... I'm sure the American government or some interest groups pushed for them. The American flag appears in several sequences and is connected to several events and characters. Each sequence or appearance of the flag is subtly connected with what is present with it, or the current situation or the sequence.

Take one example: A car smashes through a building, driving through we see the American flag followed by a giant police agency logo. Implication: The Americans are the police. This is an international blockbuster film. The Americans continue to subtly program the world's masses through media propaganda.
    Or Micheal bay is uber american pride.

Are you OK?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    Last point:

I am not being sarcastic or anything when I say that this movie made me believe that Michael Bay is a genius. He is.
    HA!

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Annnnnnd we have this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...S4W/comingsoon

Gotta admit, that statue looks pretty badass and I wouldn't mind picking one up. Although I don't give a rats ass if I ever see this movie again (Don't wanna waste another 3 hours of my life sitting though it, toooo long), i'd love that statue for display. And for $80... that's not a bad price. Buy the box set and sell the blu-ray on eBay for $20.
    That statue is pretty bad ass, I just can't see myself paying 80 bucks for it

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Saw this on Thursday in Imax. I really try not to be one of those people online that rants about Michael Bay sucking (as a fan of mindless action movies when they're done right I do enjoy some of his films) but for fuck's sake, this movie was a two and a half hour headache and a complete waste of time. I was fine with it for the first hour when they were establishing the characters. For what it was, I enjoyed the setup. I liked Mark Wahlberg's character, the idea of a government agency hunting down Autobots and Decepticons, the concept of humanity having turned against the very thing that was trying to keep them safe...and then the rest of the movie happened.

I have always disliked the fact that apart from Optimus Prime and Bumblebee all of the Transformers are basically wise cracking set pieces. Age of Extinction is no exception. There's a fat robot, an asian robot, and a British one, all of whom don't seem to be distraught that all of their friends and comrades are being killed. They're a means to an end, tools to move the incredibly flimsy plot forward, and nothing else. The only Transformer I found interesting was the bounty hunter, and the third act suffers greatly after he leaves the picture for most of the film. And for god's sake, if your key marketing ploy is telling the movie going public that there will be Dinobots in the movie, please actually put them in the movie. They're there for all of fifteen minutes and all they do is join in during the orgy of destruction that tests the viewer's patience and tolerance for explosions and fight scenes. Again, they're not characters. Neither the screenwriter nor the director even gave a second thought to developing them in any sort of way. They're set pieces and kids will think they look cool so they'll buy the toys after they sit through the movie. Nothing more.

As for the human characters: Mark Whalberg goes from being semi-likeable to incredibly annoying very quickly. His hot daughter is eye candy and goes from mildly annoying to the point where you want to reach through the screen and strangle the life out of her by the end of the movie. All she does is run around and scream. And her boyfriend. Sweet Christ, her goddamn boyfriend. His character arc? He's a racer who doesn't get along with Mark Whalberg and gets called 'Lucky Charms' because he's from Ireland, get it? At the end of the movie they stop bickering and I assume he stops being compared to a cereal mascot. I enjoyed Stanley Tucci and Kelsey Grammer because they're damn good actors who can hold their own in a movie so overbearing and stupid that this almost tops Revenge of the Fallen as the worst in the series. There's so many other characters that just show up and join the main cast that it's ridiculous and comical how much the people in charge of this movie simply did not give a shit about character development. There's the group of scientists that work for Stanley Tucci, the hot scientists who may or may not have had a prior relationship with Stanley Tucci, the asian woman who knows kung fu (the fucking random guy in the elevator who also knows kung fu in what is possibly the stupidest and strangest fight scene these movies have offered up so far) and who the hell knows how many others.

I would like to congratulate Michael Bay for having a movie that is so filled with action scenes and explosions and fights that succeeds in being some of the most painfully boring moments I've ever watched in an action movie. I know this guy doesn't believe in the 'less is more' approach, but throwing everything at the wall and hoping it all sticks is proving to be the least effective manner in which to approach these films. I swear, I think Michael Bay has ADHD and that evidence has never been more apparent than in Age of Extinction and the even worse abortion that is Revenge of the Fallen. For what it's worth, I actually enjoyed the first and third Transformers movies. I thought they were fun action movies. Age of Extinction is excess to a sickening degree.

I think I'm done ranting now. Just don't see this fucking thing.
    Last edited by mrselfdestruct94; 07-02-2014 at 04:42 PM.