Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    KC are basically the only CDs i still buy. have it on pre-order from amazon. really looking forward to checking it out!
    most of the way through disc 2, and it's pretty solid. i'm a little biased in how much i love the chicago recording (since i was there haha) but this set is up there. my only issue with all of the recent live releases is that the dynamics sometimes feel a bit stifled. like, when the "chorus" of indiscipline hits, it should get really fuckin' loud, and it just doesn't. a bit disappointing, but the clarity on everything is so great that i try not to let it bug me too much.

edit: OH MY GOD, FRACTURE. holy fucking shit.
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 04-12-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    OH MY GOD, FRACTURE. holy fucking shit.
    Right??? Who knew Fripp could still play like that at age 70.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Right??? Who knew Fripp could still play like that at age 70.
    Finally an official recording of 2016 Fracture! I saw them play it on the tour and it was beyond amazing. Listening to the recording reminds me of how great and groovy the arrangement is!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I think my favourite little nugget on the THRAK box is "Tony's Road Movies"; just love the awesome 8mm clips of them playing Daytona USA together in that Japanese arcade, set to those funky instrumental jams... I used to play the shit out of the console version of that game as a kid, when I was visiting my neighbours who had a Sega Saturn!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

pulled this out to listen to the other day. haven't gone on discogs to determine exactly which pressing of each KC record i have (i "liberated" them from my dad's collection) but i think this one must be a repress from '73 because the inner sleeve is an ad for other records, which includes LTIA. anyway, it still sounds great, and i always feel like this album gets overlooked when compared to "in the court..."

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Yes, agreed on all counts! I took a real deep dive into that when Sailors' Tales came out (I also have an old LP pressing by Atlantic Canada, but it's also not clear to me exactly what year it's from). There's something about the way it sounds on vinyl that's different from any of the digital remasters I've heard...
    Last edited by botley; 05-06-2018 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Spoiler: LTIA Pt. IV, Bolero

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Spoiler: LTIA Pt. IV, Bolero
    ??? wut? is there any context to your post?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Perhaps new songs being rehearsed for the upcoming European tour?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    ??? wut? is there any context to your post?
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Perhaps new songs being rehearsed for the upcoming European tour?
    A "new" version of Larks' IV is my guess. Unknown whether "Bolero" is a reference to Tony Levin or Robin Miller.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    A "new" version of Larks' IV is my guess. Unknown whether "Bolero" is a reference to Tony Levin or Robin Miller.
    haven't they been playing bolero as part of the lizard suite? or have they been leaving that part out? sometimes it's hard to know exactly which section is which.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    haven't they been playing bolero as part of the lizard suite? or have they been leaving that part out? sometimes it's hard to know exactly which section is which.
    They haven't played that specific part on stage just yet... the "Lizard suite" on the studio album takes up the whole second side. "Bolero" refers to the repeating snare drum pattern, which picks up at the end of the opening section and continues through the "Peacock's Song" part, opening with the cornet solo. It ends at "Dawn Song", which is the only part they were playing live in 2016. That's where they have been starting on the 2017 versions of the song, when they started doing the following two sections. Fripp, even when he's been less than friendly in his appraisal of the album, always had complimentary things to say that beautiful, yearning oboe melody played by Robin Miller during the Bolero. Can't wait to hear what Mel Collins does with it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Pat posted an Insta photo with part of a setlist that includes the songs poro posted.

Nope. "The Lizard Suite" on the setlists is the one on Chicago - Dawn Song, Last Skirmish, Prince Rupert's Lament, a.k.a. The Battle of Glass Tears (why not just call it that?). The sections are very specifically defined, with clear musical changes and direct indexing on the DVD-A (although they split Battle wrong there, dunno why).

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    They've been leaving that part out.

Fripp's diary entry from September 8, 1999:

At last! The Bolero! Robin Miller's oboe has entered, left, and Keith Tippett, Mark Charig, Nick Evans & Mel Collins are blowing away. This is the only part of the album I am able to remember with anything other than fear, terror, misery & suffering.
    In Sum:

Lots of ideas, mostly presented simultaneously and very few of which work. Various bits are unsure whether to try & make connection with a unified central theme, or maintain their independence. Mostly, the search for a unified central theme escapes satisfaction & the constituent elements adopt a semblance of neutrality, so as not to attract culpability for their involvement. Labour & labouring, mostly joyless, strive effortfully to present the appearance of cohesion.

There is one exception: the Bolero. The main theme, played on oboe by Robin Miller (co-principal oboist with the BBC Symphony Orchestra under Boulez at the time) is a gift. This is a melody which sustained me in difficult times.
    Last edited by Jon; 05-07-2018 at 01:12 PM. Reason: formatting

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i love that all three of you responded and managed to explain without making me feel stupid y'all are the best <3

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The "Bolero" section was also the only scrap of the Lizard LP to be included on any official compilation album, starting with the remixed version created for the Frame by Frame box set in 1991 (on which Tony Levin re-did the bass part).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I wonder if they'll ever do "Lizard" as a whole. Maybe even bring in Jon Anderson on a few dates to sing the introduction.

I'd be absolutely stoked to just hear "Bolero" though. I'd imagine it would be a good spot to highlight Jakko's guitar playing since they don't have a trumpet or trombone player and he could fill that space up great.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    OK, now I've seen everything:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    FINALLY they are re-releasing Discipline on vinyl! The original mix, of course.

https://www.dgmlive.com/news/Discipline%20on%20vinyl

This + Bad Witch one week later means that this will be my perfect vinyl summer <3

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    belated but happy 73ed fripp
    -louie

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    ^ 72nd... but yes!

Based on this call-out for fan experiences from '97-'03, and the news that Pat has been re-doing the drums for a new mix of The ConstruKction of Light studio album, I would imagine the next box set will be covering this period of the band. Really excited for that because, as I mentioned, I have just been starting to get into the ProjeKcts and I'm intrigued to see what aspects of those are considered relevant to telling the story of how they got from Double Trio to Double Duo. Plus I've never actually bought those two studio albums so it'll be nice to have them in physical form as part of a box!
    Last edited by botley; 05-22-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Pat has been re-doing the drums for a new mix of The ConstruKction of Light studio album
    I am SO excited for this! This might be their chance to redeem the TCOL album which always had a too sterile sound for me. The songs themselves ARE great (except Oyster Soup) and the live albums, especially the Eyes Wide Open DVD, show what could have been and apparently will be in the near future!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Fun new interview with Poppa Bear Levin.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    First (public) show of the 2018 tour tonight! Also, they are putting out some vinyl from recent live recordings and... hnnnngh:

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Also, they are putting out some vinyl from recent live recordings and... hnnnngh
    I thought they were doing a 4xCD set, not wasting a side per song of a 10". This one's gone straight to the list of bad Robert decisions

Then again, if it means they're gonna do vinyl of more live shows, I'm cautiously optimistic too!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    I thought they were doing a 4xCD set, not wasting a side per song of a 10". This one's gone straight to the list of bad Robert decisions

Then again, if it means they're gonna do vinyl of more live shows, I'm cautiously optimistic too!
    The CD set is exclusive (at this point) to the Royal Package:

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The CD set is exclusive (at this point) to the Royal Package
    (massive sigh of relief)

Also, here's the Elements 2018 tracklist:

Definitely looking forward to the demos and Dawn Song with Jakko. Funny that it has LTIA4 with "guitars highlighted" when the whole song is basically highlighting the guitars!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Hand me them demos on my tongue! Deflate the air that fills my lungs!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    And the royal package 4xCD: