Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12
Results 331 to 358 of 358

Thread: King Crimson

  1. #331
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,071
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I wonder if Elton John's audition will be on the new box set.
    HOLY SHIT, that's a good fucking question. I thought Fripp changed his mind before they actually had him in the studio? That's what he wrote in the Young Person's Guide booklet anyway, that they cancelled the studio session for Elton to sing on the Poseidon tracks because Fripp didn't like his debut album. Maybe there's actually been a tape of Elton singing "Pictures of a City", or some shit like that, hidden away in a dusty cupboard for all these years. How wild would that be?? Bryan Ferry was apparently also on the list of lead singers they auditioned...
    Last edited by botley; 09-07-2017 at 07:28 PM.

  2. #332
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    361
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    It's another fucking autobuy. Robert, David and the team at DGM are taking too much money from my wallet this month.

  3. #333
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,669
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

  4. #334
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    canaderp
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Islands from Chicago is beyond the universe. Wow.

  5. #335
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,669
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I was really happy to see that added to their repertoire, mainly because of Jakko's version he recorded (which I linked to here before) which I actually prefer to the original.

  6. #336
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thank you! I wasn't sure if I should buy the CD, but for me a FLAC download is just as good. I'm only eight tracks in, but I can already say that this is AMAZING! LTIA1 sounds so different to the 2015 versions. And the performance in Lizard is mind-blowing. Also, I'm really satisfied with the choice of Bill Rieflin doing keyboards. His contributions polish the overall sound and fill some sonic gaps. And to be honest, I prefer Jeremy Stacey's style as the "center drummer" to Rieflin's.
    Last edited by Dr.Z; 10-03-2017 at 01:09 PM. Reason: spelling

  7. #337
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,071
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Oh man, that Chicago "Islands" is included on the bonus CD that came with my Japanese-exclusive pressing of Live in Vienna. What an amazing performance!

    Of course, the main program of that set is bone-crushingly awesome too. Can't wait to get the full Chicago CD to accompany it!

  8. #338
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,669
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
    I prefer Jeremy Stacey's style as the "center drummer" to Rieflin's.
    I'm midway through and I agree. Steven Wilson stopped short of comparing Stacey to Keith Moon in terms of the style he employed on his share of the To The Bone material, but he put over how much of a powerhouse he is. It likely makes him more comfortable between Harrison and Mastelotto, where I could see Rieflin was doing fine but not nearly keeping up as much.

    In other news I bought the THRAK box on discogs yesterday. It was just over 100 bucks, and so probably the cheapest copy anywhere. I hope, with my birthday and Christmas to consider, that by the end of the year I can get my hands on either last year's box or this year's. Probably the new one since I'm more fond of the 70's material anyway.

  9. #339
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,412
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I'm midway through and I agree. Steven Wilson stopped short of comparing Stacey to Keith Moon in terms of the style he employed on his share of the To The Bone material, but he put over how much of a powerhouse he is. It likely makes him more comfortable between Harrison and Mastelotto, where I could see Rieflin was doing fine but not nearly keeping up as much.

    In other news I bought the THRAK box on discogs yesterday. It was just over 100 bucks, and so probably the cheapest copy anywhere. I hope, with my birthday and Christmas to consider, that by the end of the year I can get my hands on either last year's box or this year's. Probably the new one since I'm more fond of the 70's material anyway.
    the "on and off the road" box is pretty amazing. i got way more out of it than the thrak box (i think that's due in part to it covering three albums and more years).

  10. #340
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,071
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Fantastic and sprawling new interview with P@ who sounds like the loveliest guy:

    http://www.innerviews.org/inner/pat-mastelotto

  11. #341
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,669
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The THRAK box arrived on what's otherwise been a rather crappy day. Can't wait to dig in to the live material particularly. One thing I think gets overlooked with these sets is just how really well-written and put-together the liner notes are.

  12. #342
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,412
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    amazon finally gave me an delivery date for the live in chicago CD - halloween! really excited to relive that night, because it was absolutely the best of the five times i've seen them.

  13. #343
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,669
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Bill Rieflin won't be playing on the upcoming shows. Fripp reported on Facebook he's being replaced by a fellow named Chris Gibson.

  14. #344
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,412
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Bill Rieflin won't be playing on the upcoming shows. Fripp reported on Facebook he's being replaced by a fellow named Chris Gibson.
    that makes me sad. i love seeing his head of white hair swaying around

  15. #345
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,071
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Still no indication yet of who is actually playing on the pre-Islands rehearsals, or what the additional downloadable concert will be, but otherwise the full track listing is up for the Sailors’ Tales box set and OH MAMA.

    It's too huge to post here in its entirety (literally... it exceeds the message board's 20000 character limit) but I'm going to be occupied until well into the new year playing everything.

  16. #346
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,412
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Still no indication yet of who is actually playing on the pre-Islands rehearsals, or what the additional downloadable concert will be, but otherwise the full track listing is up for the Sailors’ Tales box set and OH MAMA.

    It's too huge to post here in its entirety (literally... it exceeds the message board's 20000 character limit) but I'm going to be occupied until well into the new year playing everything.
    really wish i had the money for it. i didn't get the other 70s box sets but i have downloads of them and some of the stuff on them is pretty great (though the sound quality of some of the live recordings leaves a lot to be desired). i'm guessing this will be much the same.

  17. #347
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,071
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Yes, those cassette recordings from the '72 shows are pretty rough (just listen to Earthbound). But there's lots of other stuff besides that to contend with here! A proper (likely fragmentary, but still) 5.1 mix of "The Devil's Triangle"! Brand new Jakko vocals on the studio versions of "Islands" and "Cadence and Cascade"! More alternate takes from Lizard!
    Last edited by botley; 10-18-2017 at 11:17 PM.

  18. #348
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Oh man, that Chicago "Islands" is included on the bonus CD that came with my Japanese-exclusive pressing of Live in Vienna. What an amazing performance!

    Of course, the main program of that set is bone-crushingly awesome too. Can't wait to get the full Chicago CD to accompany it!
    Did they put Fracture from Copenhagen on that CD as well?

  19. #349
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,071
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
    Did they put Fracture from Copenhagen on that CD as well?
    No, as of yet the new 7 and 8-person editions of "Fracture" have been totally AWOL from the band's official recordings. Maybe this autumn they'll release a download?

    Last night at the Friends & Family show in Austin they pulled out a few surprises, including "Breathless" from Fripp's first solo album. Love that tune! I got to see Stick Men play it just this August, when they were last here in Toronto.

  20. #350
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    361
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Fracture will be on the Vienna EU/US release as promised. We'll just have to buy it once more.

  21. #351
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,412
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Yes, those cassette recordings from the '72 shows are pretty rough (just listen to Earthbound). But there's lots of other stuff besides that to contend with here! A proper (likely fragmentary, but still) 5.1 mix of "The Devil's Triangle"! Brand new Jakko vocals on the studio versions of "Islands" and "Cadence and Cascade"! More alternate takes from Lizard!
    wait, what was wrong with the 5.1 mix of the devil's triangle on the cd/dvd of poseidon that steven wilson did?

  22. #352
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,071
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    wait, what was wrong with the 5.1 mix of the devil's triangle on the cd/dvd of poseidon that steven wilson did?
    It was an upmix from the original stereo, because they didn't have the multitrack masters to work with at the time. Apparently those have now been found (some of them, anyway).

  23. #353
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,412
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    got my "live in chicago" 2xCD! really nice to see it's a "book" format and not another jewel case. found my dad in the picture of the audience, which made me laugh. can't wait to relive the show.

  24. #354
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,117
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Jooooin uuuuus.

    I just started buying CD's (again) about a year ago, it's a completely different experience to unwrapping vinyl but satisfying nonetheless.

    This will also be the 2nd purchase this year where someone I know is pictured in the packaging/liner notes. The first being my friend, Paul, pictured in the crowd of people for the Grateful Dead Fare Thee Well box set.
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    got my "live in chicago" 2xCD! really nice to see it's a "book" format and not another jewel case. found my dad in the picture of the audience, which made me laugh. can't wait to relive the show.
    Another year, another ETS-related person in the linear notes! I have botley and eversonpoe's dad. Gotta catch 'em all.

  25. #355
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,412
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Another year, another ETS-related person in the linear notes! I have botley and eversonpoe's dad. Gotta catch 'em all.
    i think it's funny that i can see my dad so clearly but it's like i'm not even there haha

    also, been listening to this (really loud) in my car since yesterday and it's just as fantastic as i remember it being in person. "islands" actually brought me to tears when i was driving home late last night, which i wasn't expecting at all.

  26. #356
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,071
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Fuck, apparently my copy of Sailors' Tales is getting here tomorrow! Don't fuck this up for me, UPS. I will be locking myself indoors with it for the following two days, scaring the neighbours...

  27. #357
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    2018 EU/UK tour dates:

    Wed 13th June: Poland, Poznan - Earth Hall
    Thu 14th June: Poland, Poznan - Earth Hall
    Sat 16th June: Poland, Krakow - ICE Congress Hall
    Sun 17th June: Poland, Krakow - ICE Congress Hall
    Mon 18th June: Poland, Krakow - ICE Congress Hall
    Wed 20th June: Germany, Essen - Lichtburg
    Sat 23rd June: Austria, Vienna - Stadthalle
    Sun 24th June: Austria, Vienna - Stadthalle
    Tue 26th June: Czech Republic, Prague - Forum Karlin
    Wed 27th June: Czech Republic, Prague - Forum Karlin
    Sun 1st Jul: Germany, Berlin - Admiralspalast
    Thu 5th Jul: Sweden, Stockholm - Cirkus
    Fri 6th Jul: Sweden, Stockholm - Cirkus
    Sun 8th Jul: Norway, Oslo - Sentrum Scene
    Mon 9th Jul: Norway, Oslo - Sentrum Scene
    Tue 10th Jul: Norway, Oslo - Sentrum Scene
    Fri 13th Jul: The Netherlands, Amsterdam - Concertgebouw
    Mon 16th Jul: Germany, Munich - Philharmonie
    Thu 19th Jul: Italy, Pompeii - Teatro Grande
    Fri 20th Jul: Italy, Pompeii - Teatro Grande
    Sun 22nd Jul: Italy, Rome - Auditorium Cavea
    Mon 23rd Jul: Italy, Rome - Auditorium Cavea
    Wed 25th Jul: Italy, Lucca - Piazza Napoleone
    Fri 27th Jul: Italy, Venice - Teatro La Fenice
    Sat 28th Jul: Italy, Venice - Teatro La Fenice

    Mon 29th Oct: UK, Bournemouth - Pavilion Theatre
    Wed 31st Oct: UK, Cardiff - St Davids
    Fri 2nd Nov: UK, London - Palladium
    Tue 6th Nov: UK, Birmingham - Symphony Hall
    Fri 9th Nov: UK, Manchester - Bridgewater Hall
    Mon 12th Nov: UK, Glasgow - Royal Concert Hall
    Thu 15th Nov: France, Paris - L’Olympia
    Fri 16th Nov: France, Paris - L’Olympia

  28. #358
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,071
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    King Crimson playing at Pompeii! Eat your heart out, David Gilmour.

Posting Permissions