Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

King Crimson

I've spent much of the weekend listening to The Road To Red. The music, as simply as I can say it, has blown me away. I cannot wait to listen to the shows again on Blu-ray (two BR discs feature stereo mixes of the professionally recorded shows, and also a 5.1 mix of the Red album itself) with a proper system. I've never felt as strongly about every aspect of live recordings as I have about these shows. This is as raw and dirty as a progressive band has probably ever sounded, yet it's so appropriate to the material which has not lost it's edge 40 years later. Even the audience reaction, which varies from polite to rabid, has drawn me in. Fripp's playing, even on an off night, will rip your spleen out. John Wetton and Bill Bruford were just a force of sound at their heaviest, but could execute the quieter passages with equal brilliance. David Cross manages to weave his violin, electric piano and mellotron through this storm with equally powerful and sometimes sublime playing. Wetton manages to be engaging in his capacity as vocalist, his thick voice a perfect match for what he and his bandmates were doing every night of that tour.

The thing I have been most amazed with is that I am not tired of hearing these songs over and over again. Their ability to shift and change within the framework of their material was remarkable. Their improv spots are not aimless like so many jam bands now and maybe even then were by comparison. Fripp's disciplined and almost classical approach to playing allowed for zero sloppiness, but he could be equally as adventurous in taking the piece to new heights. It's certainly made me think of re-appraising the Starless And Bible Black album, which never gelled with me as much as the two albums in between have. "Lament", "The Night Watch" and especially "Fracture" have my full attention now.

This experience has made me reconsider KC as a whole, from a band whose music I liked, to an entity I should consider more deeply.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Mahalo for showing me this is in existence. It was completely under my radar. 'Red' the apex of old skool King Crimson. I hold a place in my soul for it. The Lark's Tongue boxset was one of the most absolutely essential boxsets in existence. This will be staggeringly stellar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was just thinking of starting a KC thread the other day, it's like you read my mind .

The Road to Red definitely changed my perception of them. Crimson is one of those bands that I admire, but could never really listen to on a regular basis. Their playing is obviously top-notch, but it was always tiring for my ears after extended listening. Since hearing those live recordings, I've begun to see their music in a different light. Now I own most of KC's albums, from their debut up through Beat.

It's technical, terrifying, and oh-so-awesome.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's very expensive (cheapest I've seen it at lately was a little over 200) but worth every dime as far as I'm concerned.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Ugg I hate to say this, but fave K.C. was with Ade, Trey and Bill, the ProjeKcts box set is still one of the go to's. I was able to see two of the The ProjeKcts

and the last formation of Ade and Trey, man Gunn played the hell out of that WARR guitar. Fripp's Journal's are always insightful http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?entry=26025

I suggest you check it out http://www.amazon.com/The-ProjeKcts-.../dp/B00002DDRH

-Louie
    Last edited by Louie_Cypher; 03-03-2014 at 01:27 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Lark's Tongue is an incredible album along with Red and In the Court of the Crimson King. I would love to get my hands on that box set but that's impossible at this point in time. There are no KIng Crimson on Spotify so maybe I'll try Grooveshark.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Fripp is a complete ass about copyrights so I'll be surprised if you find anything KC anywhere. We can't even have their album covers on last.fm ffs.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I really like them, but their discography is so vast i had to choose between their "classic" and "modern" era, i decided to focus on the early stuff, checking albums like: "In the court of the crimson king", "Islands", "Larks tongues in aspic" and of course "Red" (both Court of the Crimson King and Red are my faves...)
    Still i know a couple of albums of the "modern era" like: "Discipline", "VROOOM" and "The Power to believe"...
    I like the "first era" a little bit more, but "Discipline" is an awesome album that obviously was a huge influence on many of my favorite artists like Steven Wilson, Peter Gabriel, TOOL and Primus.

I saw them live a long time ago (2001, i think...) and it was great, but they never played anything from the earlier years, i saw them again but as the "21st Century Schizoid band" and i got my wish granted...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Fripp is a complete ass about copyrights so I'll be surprised if you find anything KC anywhere. We can't even have their album covers on last.fm ffs.
    There is an article in a fairly recent issue of the UK magazine Classic Rock (with Lemmy on the cover) that details his battles with former management and record companies (seems his biggest axe to grind has been with Universal), which makes me more sympathetic to his point of view.

The Last.FM thing is such a drama on the KC page it's ridiculous now, so I couldn't care less.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 09-30-2016 at 08:46 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I saw them live a long time ago (2001, i think...) and it was great, but they never played anything from the earlier years, i saw them again but as the "21st Century Schizoid band" and i got my wish granted...
    I think the newest formation might play just the classic era stuff. Jakko Jakszyk was in the 21st Century Schizoid Band (for those who don't know, they were a group of former KC members that played mostly pre-Larks' to Red 60's and 70's material) and Mel Collins was in the band for a short period in the early 70's (has since appeared on Red and the last ProjeKct with RF, Jakko, Tony Levin and Gavin Harrison).

Jakko (who is also picking up Steven Wilson's slack on remastering the KC catalogue, and has also done the same for Emerson, Lake & Palmer as his mix of Brain Salad Surgery is to come out next month) has dropped some tasty hints on his Twitter as to what to expect with this new line-up.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Twilight View Post
    Lark's Tongue is an incredible album along with Red and In the Court of the Crimson King. I would love to get my hands on that box set but that's impossible at this point in time. There are no KIng Crimson on Spotify so maybe I'll try Grooveshark.
    The Great Deceiver box set is still out there with a lot of live old school KC http://www.amazon.com/Great-Deceiver...Great+Deceiver

Cool stuff here to https://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm

-Louie
    Last edited by Louie_Cypher; 03-03-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I should mention that while I was geeking out over it on Twitter, John Wetton himself replied to one of my Tweets, thus probably being the first cool thing to have happened to me this year.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    am i correct in stating that steven wilson completed 5.1 (and new stereo) mixes for both beat and three of a perfect pair, but fripp is waiting on clearance for the bonus tracks before he releases them? so the "slack" which jakko is picking up was doing the new stereo mix for USA and doing the 90s/00s albums?

been a fan since i was 7 years old, the first time my dad showed me "in the court..." and i screamed because the album cover scared the crap out of me.
    i have seen them live four times in the last 14 years (for which i'm extremely lucky) and they've been incredible each time.

my favorite eras are the late early period (lark's tongues, starless..., red, and USA) and the 80s period (discipline, beat, three...) but i like everything.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    yes, SW did all the remixing up to the '90s material. i'm hoping Jakko keeps the quality up, and can improve TCOL especially.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I went through a King Crimson phase a few years ago. The period w/ John Wetton and Bill Bruford is my favorite. I just love the heaviness and craziness of those records with Red being my favorite album so far. I also like the early albums with Peter Sinfield on lyrics and the stuff they did in the early 80s. I want to hear more.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    am i correct in stating that steven wilson completed 5.1 (and new stereo) mixes for both beat and three of a perfect pair, but fripp is waiting on clearance for the bonus tracks before he releases them?
    I think I may have heard something to that effect on SW's Facebook but can't remember the exact quote.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I enjoy Adrian Belew in KC and solo, but it was time for his ass to go. No one should ever be the singer of King Crimson for 30 years. They were always better for the member change-ups they used to do.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Plus Jakko is a good fit, as he's an excellent guitarist (also plays sax and keyboards) and singer in his own right. I liked the aforementioned ProjeKct, Scarcity of Miracles album, which he was part of with this new lineup (sans Rieflin and Mastelotto). I really dug his solo album, which included this cover which I actually prefer to the original.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=4662

On the day that the new line-up of King Crimson held its first day of full band rehearsals, this just in from Robert Fripp: "First day of King Crimson rehearsals, with Front Line of three drummers and Back Line of three players (Mel Collins arriving back today from touring in Italy, joining us tomorrow) reporting good days. Personally, i had lotsa fun.
    Two Crim Principles articulated:
    1.Enjoying our playing together is encouraged.
    2.If you don't wish to play a part, give it to someone else - there's enough of them!
    Tour itinerary will be announced tomorrow on DGM.

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=4663

When music appears which only King Crimson can play then, sooner or later, King Crimson appears to play the music.
    Robert Fripp.

King Crimson returns to active service in the front line on September 9, 2014 with 17 US performances, the first since 2008.

Born on January 13, 1969 in the basement of the Fulham Palace Cafe, London, this is the eighth incarnation of King Crimson, with:

Gavin Harrison (drums), Bill Rieflin (drums), Pat Mastelotto (drums), Tony Levin (bass and vocals), Mel Collins (Sax, flute), Jakko Jakszyk (guitar, vocals), and Robert Fripp (guitar).

In his DGM Diary for September 6, 2013, when King Crimson’s return to live performance was announced to an outbreak of media frenzy, fan adoration and spontaneous outpourings of affection, Fripp wrote:

At 18.55 King Crimson VIII moved to its next stage of actualization
    This is a very different reformation to what has gone before: seven players, four English and three American, with three drummers.
    The Point Of Crim-Seeing was of a conventional Back Line reconfigured as the Front Line. 
The Seven-Headed Beast of Crim is in Go! mode.

King Crimson 2014 dates and venues
    Tickets go on sale Tuesday June 6th 12.00 EST

Tue 9 Sep Albany, NY The Egg
    Wed 10 Sep Albany, NY The Egg
    Fri 12 Sep Philadelphia, PA Verizon Hall
    Sat 13 Sep Philadelphia, PA Verizon Hall
    Mon 15 Sep Boston, MA Colonial Theatre
    Tue 16 Sep Boston, MA Colonial Theatre
    Thu 18 Sep New York, NY Best Buy
    Fri 19 Sep New York, NY Best Buy
    Sat 20 Sep New York, NY Best Buy
    Tue 23 Sep Madison, WI Barrymore Theatre
    Thu 25 Sep Chicago, IL The Vic Theatre
    Fri 26 Sep Chicago, IL The Vic Theatre
    Tue 30 Sep Los Angeles, CA Orpheum Theatre
    Wed 01 Oct Los Angeles, CA Orpheum Theatre
    Fri 03 Oct San Francisco, CA The Warfield
    Sat 04 Oct San Francisco, CA The Warfield
    Mon 06 Oct Seattle, WA Moore Theater

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    THREE DRUMMERS HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS IS GONNA BE AMAZING

it'll be weird seeing them at the vic, since they usually come to park west when they play chicago, but i'm not gonna complain!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    ok, remember when i said i wasn't going to complain? i lied.

the CHEAPEST seats are $90!?!? wtf? i've never paid more than $50/ticket to see them. and the vic isn't that great of a venue (certainly not as nice as park west) so i really don't understand...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    My guess would be that the demand is very high for these gigs.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    THREE DRUMMERS HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS IS GONNA BE AMAZING

it'll be weird seeing them at the vic, since they usually come to park west when they play chicago, but i'm not gonna complain!
    Yeah, I was totally expecting the Park West again ... weird. Honestly, i fucking hate the Park West, so this is good news. I hate that whole "get here early so you can get a seat, and then spend way too fucking long standing in front of the bar while a bartender who apparently ingested some sort of opiates takes far too long attempting to serve all these customers in some kind of backward space time continuum and by the time you leave your ice has melted and then you have to tip that old lady in the bathroom to hand you a paper towel and maybe you can sit upstairs on a shitty bar stool but that's only if you there early enough, otherwise you have to stand behind some dude who's 10 feet tall and there is no place to stand without some asshole Park West security person yelling at you." Give me the Vic any day, at least I can park at the hospital.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-05-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Yeah, I was totally expecting the Park West again ... weird. Honestly, i fucking hate the Park West, so this is good news. I hate that whole "get here early so you can get a seat, and then spend way too fucking long standing in front of the bar while a bartender who apparently ingested some sort of opiates takes far too long attempting to serve all these customers in some kind of backward space time continuum and by the time you leave your ice has melted and then you have to tip that old lady in the bathroom to hand you a paper towel and maybe you can sit upstairs on a shitty bar stool but that's only if you there early enough, otherwise you have to stand behind some dude who's 10 feet tall and there is no place to stand without some asshole Park West security person yelling at you." Give me the Vic any day, at least I can park at the hospital.
    i've done work for park west (put up a satellite dish for them) so we usually get in before anyone else and get to grab one of those "reserved" tables or at least a good seat (since i don't really like sitting sideways to watch a show) and i don't drink at shows so none of that stuff is really an obstacle for me...mostly i like park west because the SOUND is always fantastic, and when i'm seeing king crimson, that's the most important aspect of the show.

i'm really gonna have to think about whether or not i can spend the money on this show... :/

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    mostly i like park west because the SOUND is always fantastic, and when i'm seeing king crimson, that's the most important aspect of the show.
    The sound there is good, I'll give you that, and I generally don't drink at shows, either, except maybe one glass of wine but mostly I drink expensive Diet Coke, but the sound at the Vic is still pretty good. That's the problem at the Park West, though; most people end up sitting sideways!

With a band that big, the Park West stage size just ain't gonna cut it and they probably need much larger seating capacity to earn enough to pay all those people in the band.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    We got the $120 tix

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Gavin Harrison! i'm always up for his drumming in any concert!