253 Post(s)
    Also: looks like the 12" single will be a live recording of "Heroes"

https://m.facebook.com/robert.fripp....27986863884004

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Mexico City dates too, henry!
    Nice, im up for it!
    Last time i saw them was back in 2001 (ConstruKtion of Light tour). i remember they played a cover for Bowie's "Heroes".
    That day i bought a "Discipline" T-Shirt and a friend lent me VROOOM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    just got tickets for me & my dad to see them at the chicago theater! most expensive tickets i've bought in a WHILE but, main floor, one section from center, not even halfway back, and that place sounds incredible, so i'm fucking excited!!! first time seeing them since '09 or '10 (whenever it was robert, adrian, tony, pat, & gavin) at park west.

also, finally watching the Radical Action blu-ray and it's fantastic! the 5.1 suits the setup of the band way better than stereo, and i like that you can actually hear the audience at a few points, unlike on the CDs. the setlist order is much preferred to the CDs, as well. not sure why they did it differently. anyway, this set is great for the price, but the blu-ray is definitely the highlight!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I liked the Radical Action video but the audio was not mixed to my preference (that damned AutoTune rears its head again). Vastly prefer the Live in Toronto 2015 release — and I'm really excited that they're releasing it on vinyl!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I liked the Radical Action video but the audio was not mixed to my preference (that damned AutoTune rears its head again). Vastly prefer the Live in Toronto 2015 release — and I'm really excited that they're releasing it on vinyl!
    yeah, i have mixed feelings about picking up that deluxe set since i give KC so much money on a regular basis haha. i do love live in toronto, though...

am i less observant or just immune to subtle auto-tune? i can't hear it on jakko's voice. is it obvious and i'm missing it? or is it really subtle and you're just so tuned into it? (pun intended ;p )

also, saw a car the other day with the license plate KGCRMSN and could not stop smiling.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I find it (the post-production vocal re-tuning, that is) very obvious on headphones. Blends in pretty well when I listen in 5.1, but still apparent. Same goes for their Live at the Orpheum release too. Jakko is a great singer, I really don't understand the need for it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I actually have this as a wallpaper on my laptop

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I'm getting into King Crimson and I actually did the move they say you shouldn't which was to go from "In The Court Of The Crimson King" to "Larks' Tongues In Aspic" I like them both I think I am going for "Islands" next. Sorry the wallpapers are so large the first one I want to paint as a mural on my wall. This second one suggests the moves you are supposed to do when getting into King Crimson. I know it says "How To Into King Crimson" when the word "get" should be in there. I didn't make the wallpaper I just found it.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 03-19-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    New pics are going up of rehearsals. It would appear that Rieflin is now just a keyboardist as he's configured with the backline.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    New pics are going up of rehearsals. It would appear that Rieflin is now just a keyboardist as he's configured with the backline.
    interesting! i'm curious to see how well utilized he is.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Pretty sure this is the first time the band has ever had a full-time keyboards guy. In the old days it was usually Fripp and someone else playing the Mellotron. He offered Keith Tippett to be a permanent member of the band after working with him on In the Wake of Poseidon, but was refused.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Well, nobody in the world plays like Keith Tippett! Mind you, Rieflin isn't "just" a keyboardist either, but yes, for his tour he is not going to be behind a full kit of traps anymore, unlike the other three drummers. It's a shame in one respect — after all, he played "La Mer", one of my favourite drum parts of all time — but he's also a very tasteful and brilliant atmosphere-building keyboard player, so this is an opportunity to sprinkle more "fairy dust" over things, as Fripp puts it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Posted on Facebook today

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    new materiaaaaal

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    new materiaaaaal
    They mentioned Radical Action III is being rehearsed before, so at least one new song confirmed.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Seems like Radical III has the subtitle of "Clarify". Also, interestingly enough, Tony's personal monitor mixer (visible in the Funk Fingers photo) apparently has a slot on it for click track. I don't know how much they've been using this before on the 7-person shows, but it seems like a good idea to keep everyone in time now that there are eight men onstage (I believe Tony has also said that something resembling click track or pre-programmed metronome was first deployed by Crimson on the Three of a Perfect Pair tour in 1984).

I got my Live in Toronto vinyl box today. Loving it. So. Hard.
    Last edited by botley; 04-21-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Boy, oh boy, I thought I was just about getting a handle on the King Crimson discography. I had worked my way through the studio albums, and the big box sets, plus a couple of the major Collector's Club releases, a few of Fripp's solo excursions... my one blind spot was the late-90s "FraKctalisation" period. There were a few selections from this era on the Tour Boxes that I had collected, but on first hearing they didn't strike me as being very Crim-like, and consequently I didn't pay them much attention. On a whim, however, I picked up The Deception of the Thrush - A Beginner's Guide to ProjeKcts — and now I'm falling down yet another rabbit hole.

For those who don't know, some history: before the current (2014—) lineup of KC formed with Jakko Jakszyk on lead vocal and guitar, the band consisted of a Double Trio, performing and recording in the mid-1990s. As the name implies, this lineup had six full members, four of whom had also made up the 1980s KC lineup, two of whom had been in previous lineups, so the pedigree of Crimson was certainly there. The only problem with the Double Trio was its unwieldiness for rehearsing new material; some unfinished attempts by the Double Trio to follow-up the THRAK album can be heard on the Nashville Rehearsals 1997 CD, but these sessions hit a creative impasse. Most previous iterations of the band had hit similar walls, and most of them basically broke up at these points. Instead, the Double Trio split into smaller sub-groups (all including Fripp on guitar plus two or more of the others) with the aim of research & development "for the greater Crim".

These "fraKctal" groups were the first four King Crimson ProjeKct bands. They performed and recorded from 1997 to 1999, before eventually coalescing into the Double Duo format of King Crimson, a.k.a. ProjeKct X, another four-man lineup, which recorded the last two studio LPs released by the band (so far): The ConstruKction of Light and The Power to Believe. Subsequent to this, there have been other ProjeKct lineups, but the main period I'm delving into is the heavily improvisatory, experimental, positively wacky P1-4 stuff. The single-disc anthology I mentioned is certainly an effective gateway drug, offering a concisely-edited précis from each of these four ProjeKcts. Simultaneously, there's a four-disc box set devoting an entire CD to each, and now on the DGMLive site one can basically collect every note each lineup ever recorded. Blimey, as they say.
    Last edited by botley; 05-14-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Boy, oh boy, I thought I was just about getting a handle on the King Crimson discography. I had worked my way through the studio albums, and the big box sets, plus a couple of the major Collector's Club releases, a few of Fripp's solo excursions... my one blind spot was the late-90s "FraKctalisation" period. There were a few selections from this era on the Tour Boxes that I had collected, but on first hearing they didn't strike me as being very Crim-like, and consequently I didn't pay them much attention. On a whim, however, I picked up The Deception of the Thrush - A Beginner's Guide to ProjeKcts — and now I'm falling down yet another rabbit hole.
    It's always great to see somebody else falling in love with the ProjeKcts The music so different to the usual KC "songs", yet somehow it complements them perfectly. My favorites are P3 and P4. Especially "Ghost 1" from P4's "West Coast Live" is one of the finest pieces of improvised music outside jazz I've ever heard. I think it sets a nice contrast to the usual "jamming" approach of improvising in rock and/or electronic music which is (IMO) pointless complacency. If you like P3's "Masque" I would highly recommend you the Austin live recording (March 25), which is like a more extreme version of what Masque has to offer. It is awesome, but you also have to be in the mood for it. I somehow have a "P3" mood and a "everything else" mood when it comes to listening to music, since it is so far away from most other music that I listen to.

P2 doesn't enthrall me as much as the rest (maybe the time will come...), this probably has to do with Belew being the inferior drummer compared to Mastelotto and Bruford (Sorry, pal! But I love your singing and guitar playing!) and the fact that by the time P3 and P4 took place, everything was much more fleshed out. P1 sometimes sounds too much like ordinary jazz/fusion to me, but it also has its highlights: 4 ii 4 (broody atmosphere and an awesome bass riff!) and 3 i 2, which might be my favorite "short piece" out of all the ProjeKcts - such a fantastic interplay between all the musicians!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Thank you for the recommendations. Definitely interested in getting the P4 stuff... now it's just a question of when to hit that "buy tour" button on DGM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i really want to hear a lot of that projekct material but it's so hard to find and i don't have the funds for it :/

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    ProjeKct Two is my favourite. Do not overlook Space Groove I-III (or, rather, II-I?). Total brilliance.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    happy 71st b-day Mr. fripp
    -Louie

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    happy 71st b-day Mr. fripp
    -Louie
    it's insane to me to think that fripp was only 23 when "in the court..." was released. what a sheer force of talent that man is.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ Indeed! I guess that settles once and for all that "Level Five" is the conclusion (thus far, anyway) to the "Larks' Tongues" cycle. Curious to see the liner notes on this one...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Buying this one for disc 2, which seems to be intended to put to shame the bootleg I brought up earlier in the thread, which is really well done and worth finding.

I hope they do a 'best of the elements' compilation once these are done. Some truly great stuff like the Meltdown demo blended in amongst a bunch of shite sounding bootlegs and bajillion Wind Extracts.

^ Indeed! I guess that settles once and for all that "Level Five" is the conclusion (thus far, anyway) to the "Larks' Tongues" cycle. Curious to see the liner notes on this one...
    FINALLY.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Bahahaha, a 30 second excerpt of the "Wind Session" on each box isn't too much to wade through! :P

I feel that each of these Elements boxes has effectively had to do double-if-not-triple-duty: serve as a "beginner's guide" to all the various eras and lineups, while offering something tantalizing to hardcore collectors, all without much in the way of duplication each time. But I take your point about the amount of second-tier material mixed in among the exclusives.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)