Page 33 of 105 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 83 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Souls

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    oh don't get me wrong, I "get" death on a personal level as a very real thing, and not some romanticized gothic notion. Every year we're going to lose people we love, personally and on another larger, more public stage.

Nothing takes away from how fucking insane this has been as a year though, especially for music and iconic personalities. People only resonante from where they're coming from, and that's why cross-generational figures like Carrie Fisher feel very personal to people on a developmental level - they see her has an icon from that special period of time where they can first recall consciousness being a concept they have a memory of. I've heard a lot of people state that she was their "first crush," which in context could be seen as crass or even possibly disgusting (depending on where you're approaching this from), but I thought that was endearing, and I think Carrie would have thought that observation was hilarious.

I'm a fan of gallows humor though; in at least as much as it can ride the razor-thin line of bad taste. There's truth in hearing people exclaim that they remember falling in love with a fantasy sci-fi princess, especially when she proved to be so much more than that.
    But look at this list. Look at the ages listed on that list. The Grim Reaper is going to start taking older people.

They just ain't gonna live forever. This ain't Neverland, natch. And when a childhood "crush," be it Farrah Fawcett, Carrie Fisher, or whomever, that generation of "crushes" are senior citizens, now.

Bowie wrote "Blackstar" and MOST of his last several albums about this very subject.

This is all more about people mourning their own loss of innocence and their own childhoods and the realization that we are mortal, really. We aren't Peter Pan, we can't stay in that childhood land forever, and these deaths represent a harsh reality for several generations.

Debbie Reynolds was 84 and she died the day after her daughter, Carrie Fisher, who was 60; Debbie's last words were "I want to be with Carrie." The reality of that does not hit me, personally, as I am not thinking of ME when I read that: I am thinking of THEM.

And their families. Carrie Fisher left a 24-yr-old daughter.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-01-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Debbie's last words were "I want to be with Carrie." The reality of that does not hit me, personally, as I am not thinking of ME when I read that: I am thinking of THEM.
    Of course, and it's heartbreaking but beautiful.

I'm not being solipsistic (my new favorite word) there... I'm thinking of it in the way that it seems Steve Martin (someone I've never been that big of a fan of btw) is being currently attacked for jokingly tweeting about Carrie Fisher's beauty as an aside-note. I think there's something to that aspect, and something other comedians are commenting on: that we're becoming sensitive to the point where we misunderstand the functional utility of humor. If someone personally relates to the death of a famous person, it isn't necessarily a way of "making it about me." Sometimes the only words we have to pay tribute to people are inextricably tied to our own experience, and that gets to be more commonly the case when we're talking about famous people we never met personally, but who still played a strangely large part in our own lives.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Of course, and it's heartbreaking but beautiful.

I'm not being solipsistic (my new favorite word) there... I'm thinking of it in the way that it seems Steve Martin (someone I've never been that big of a fan of btw) is being currently attacked for jokingly tweeting about Carrie Fisher's beauty as an aside-note. I think there's something to that aspect, and something other comedians are commenting on: that we're becoming sensitive to the point where we misunderstand the functional utility of humor. If someone personally relates to the death of a famous person, it isn't necessarily a way of "making it about me." Sometimes the only words we have to pay tribute to people are inextricably tied to our own experience, and that gets to be more commonly the case when we're talking about famous people we never met personally, but who still played a strangely large part in our own lives.
    But Steve Martin actually KNEW her, and his comment was meant to be ironic and a somewhat sarcastic comment about those who allegedly "love" her (as her onscreen character but many of whom didn't know anything about her outside of that).

Look at the last Tweet that Carrie Fisher put out; she was known to tweet in this emoji letter fashion:

"People have aged so much you can't even get them to do motion capture — as though these folks are disobedient. Auditions are held. Gary didn't get cast."

Gary is her beloved French bulldog.

This was in direct response to a comment by Gareth Edwards, Director of "Rogue One," who said:

"I mean ideally, you get the original actors to play these roles, but it’s been 30-odd years since then, and so it’s impossible. People have aged so much that you can’t even get them to do the motion capture. As you get older you’re not the same, your whole body language is different."

Carrie was viewed as so "old," she couldn't even get cast in a new Star Wars movie.

Sometimes making it "all about us" misses the fact that the person who died is, well, DEAD, and leaves a family, loved ones, pets, and their life is OVER. And we are still here. And what more can we really say or think about "them?" We don't actually know them. We know the "them" that is presented to us. And we live in the age of selfies and people posting photos on Facebook every time they go out to dinner, "look what I'm EATING." So, "our" experience of somebody ELSE'S death has become the common point-of-reference these days, because of the "me" aspects of the Internet and the need for the "shared experience." "This is how I felt when people were killed by terrorists." The very need to constantly express ourselves online was foreign 20 years ago. A celebrity dies and the news automatically wants to know what the other celebrities tweeted about it. Because somehow that's news.

But that doesn't negate the fact that Carrie Fisher's brother and her 24-yr-old daughter are now making the very real funeral arrangements for Debbie and Carrie; it's "personal" for them, and for us they're on a list of "people who died in 2016."

I guess maybe this "2016, stop killing people!" thing hit me a different way because MY DAD died this year. And there were no newspaper articles, no fanfare, no widespread weeping and Tweets, but he still died in March of 2016, just an ordinary guy who meant nothing to the world and everything to me, and right now I can REALLY relate to the families of those who died and having watched him die, I just feel for those people who died. It's over for them. But, as Buddha said: Death teaches us about life.

In 1963, President Kennedy was assassinated. And, to this day, that is a point-of-reference, "where were you when it was announced that JFK was killed?" And it wasn't about personal feelings so much as mourning as a nation; when the nation saw Jackie Kennedy and her two children on television, it all shifted to an outpouring of mourning FOR THEM. And, really, a mourning for our country because people knew that nothing would be the same after that.

And people this year are, ultimately, grappling with mortality; others' AND THEIR OWN.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-29-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    But Steve Martin actually KNEW her, and his comment was meant to be ironic and a somewhat sarcastic comment about those who allegedly "love" her (as her onscreen character but many of whom didn't know anything about her outside of that).
    This is what I'm saying. I feel Martin made a mistake by deleting the Tweet, and instead perhaps should have followed it with an explanation for the people too dense to understand the intent. Still, I don't think it's entirely fair to mock the outpouring of love for someone who may be, in some ways, a fictional person to a lot of admirers. Star struck condolences aren't entirely delusional.

Sometimes making it "all about us" misses the fact that the person who died is, well, DEAD, and leaves a family, loved ones, pets, and their life is OVER. And we are still here.
    And remembering that we're still here, and how awesome that is... that is a really important thing. It keeps us going. It's tragic and kind of fucked up that we sometimes "pick ourselves back up" by mourning the loss of people we don't personally know. It does extend the notion into a celebration of our own lives, life in general, AND the life of the deceased person... it's been really great to see so many people pull attention away from her most famous role to focus on her life, talent, and brilliance outside of that realm. It frames her as a real human.

I guess maybe this "2016, stop killing people!" thing hit me a different way because MY DAD died this year. And there were no newspaper articles, no fanfare, no widespread weeping and Tweets, but he still died in March of 2016, just an ordinary guy who meant nothing to the world and everything to me, and right now I can REALLY relate to the families of those who died and having watched him die, I just feel for those people who died. It's over for them. But, as Buddha said: Death teaches us about life.
    Yes, and in this same way it comes back to our own personal spheres while simultaneously reaching out of them. I lost a friend this year. He died alone, unmarried and only recently reunited with his estranged family... and even then only tersely. He was a very introverted man, but a very smart, quick-witted, no-bullshit man. To many people, he existed only as a cook. The extent to which many people regularly interacted with him started and stopped with eating his food. Most people who interfaced with him didn't exchange words with him, and he wouldn't have had it any other way. He kept to himself, didn't suffer fools, and was a bad ass closet-genius hiding in plain sight.

When he passed away, you saw how he was loved, and that love was served alongside demonstrations of sympathy from people who had never spoken a word to him. The most they could say was that he made an incredible cheeseburger... and still, even that little bit of contribution doesn't dampen the appreciation pouring out from people who knew him on a deeper and more personal level.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This is what I'm saying. I feel Martin made a mistake by deleting the Tweet, and instead perhaps should have followed it with an explanation for the people too dense to understand the intent. Still, I don't think it's entirely fair to mock the outpouring of love for someone who may be, in some ways, a fictional person to a lot of admirers. Star struck condolences aren't entirely delusional.
    I never said "delusional."

Yes, I agree that I've been enjoying the focus AWAY from Princess Leia and the focus on Carrie Fisher's writing, her bringing awareness to mental illness and addiction, etc. She really did HELP people, and she KNEW it. She WANTED to help people.

Look, I'm not against appreciating people we knew, even if it was in passing, when they die. That's what funerals are for: To let the deceased person's relatives know, "hey, I knew this person, I'm paying respects" and to also provide comfort and condolences.

But I remember when John Lennon was murdered and fans gathered down on the street below the windows of the Dakota, in HUGE numbers, singing Beatles' and Lennon songs, for DAYS, and it reportedly really upset Yoko and Sean to hear these people out there 24/7, singing all the fucking time and Yoko had just seen her husband SHOT point-blank, and Sean just lost his Dad, and all Yoko wanted for her and Sean was some time of quiet mourning, but there were those people down there crying and singing and singing who wanted Yoko to "comfort them."
    Last edited by allegro; 12-29-2016 at 10:04 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Someone needs to stand guard by David Attenborough and Clint Eastwood before the year ends. No more can be taken.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^^
    And Robert Redford!

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Someone needs to stand guard by David Attenborough and Clint Eastwood before the year ends. No more can be taken.

If there's one thing I took away from each Eastwood movie, it's that the guy wants to die. Preferably in an overly dramatic, albeit slightly superfluous manner.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Protect David Lynch as well.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Protect David Lynch as well.
    I will probably go crazy and try to find a way to kill death when David Lynch dies.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    ^^
    And Robert Redford!
    Mary Tyler Moore

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Brian "the strong arm" Loncar (this is mostly a dallas thing, and maybe the rest of tx. i'm not sure. but if you ever watched tv in dallas, you saw his commercials)

edit: this is extra notable because Loncar's daughter, 16, had killed herself the week before.
    Loncar was devastated, and then they found HIM dead at 56.
    It looks like he may have been a victim of this trending "broken heart syndrome.:
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-30-2016 at 11:41 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last fucking day of this miserable fucking year. Nobody dies today. 2016 can go fuck itself and today it is 2016's turn to die at midnight. Come on 2017 treat us better then 2016 did.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    2016 can still redeem itself and catch David Guetta, but for today I will blast my Bowie at midnight! Farewell to all we lost and all the best to the rest of you! Let's celebrate as we are here!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    William Christopher aka Father Mulcahy of M.A.S.H. at 84: http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/mash...hy-1201950747/

Fuck you 2016. Can we start a new Dead Souls thread?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    2016 just claimed Mariah Carey's career.

Holy crap. RIP.

https://twitter.com/search?q=mariah+...Ctwgr%5Esearch
    Last edited by allegro; 12-31-2016 at 10:57 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    happy new year ETS!!!!
    -louie

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Holy crap. RIP.

I just saw that. Holy shit. She got caught up lip-syncing and fucked it up.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I just saw that. Holy shit. She got caught up lip-syncing and fucked it up.
    She was drunk, her backup dancers were helping her walk. She said something about how "we're all allowed to party, right?" People were claiming that her ear monitor wasn't working but she sang sometimes and sometimes not, and if there was a tech problem she should have told somebody instead of wandering around TALKING to random people during the majority of the performance, "oh hey I think I'm supposed to be singing here, ha, I'm missing these vocals."

What a train wreck.

Edit: she tweeted "shit happens" and a funny gif after, gotta give it up for her calm sense of humor, NOT diva crap
    Last edited by allegro; 01-01-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    that memorial tribute video staggers in summary, but it gives too little time to some people and far too much to some. Phife getting a side, silent mention while we spend so much time on the writer of ad jingles, or to even give Phyllis Schlafly "tribute?" It's strange to see Schlafly getting quick recognition, but she was an awful person.

So many wonderful and important people died this year, and then suddenly we're spending a moment remembering a woman who became known for spending her life attacking feminism? Screw that. Did I miss the mention of Sharon Jones, or was it cutting into Phyllis Schlafly's time?

On a side note, I've had the Mr Ed theme stuck in my head for a while now, so it's strange to see that the voice of Mr Ed died this year, because I'm pretty certain I didn't hear that news.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-03-2017 at 12:57 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Holy crap. RIP.

Sweet Jesus, that was bad.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Singer-Songwriter Peter Sarstedt at age 75: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38548507

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I feel I need to post this one as he was a friend of mine (and my website has been dedicated to his work for years - www.theninthconfiguration.com) - William Peter Blatty, author of The Exorcist, 89.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Mark Fisher has died by suicide at age 48: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Fisher_(theorist)
    A music critic and cultural theorist, who wrote about Joy Division, Burial, Michael Jackson, among many other topics, including mental health and depression from which he suffered, arguing that they are political not purely personal issues. Check out some of his writing here:
    https://theoccupiedtimes.org/?p=12841
    http://k-punk.org/an-abyss-that-laughs-at-creation/
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...olitical-issue

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Oh man, I fucking love that guy. He was awesome. Especially in this legendary clip: