Page 92 of 106 FirstFirst ... 42 82 90 91 92 93 94 102 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,760 of 3160

Thread: Dead Souls

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I didn't defend anything, relax. I was indeed talking about the first wave of rockabilly: "Last Man Standing" is a known claim of the Killer's — he famously outlived the rest of the Million Dollar Quartet and his other contemporaries at Sun (and, as it turned out, Little Richard and most other founding voices of rock and roll). I'm not happy they're all dead, either, don't know where you got that impression. It's just surprising that he was even performing up to a couple of years ago.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I didn't defend anything, relax. I was indeed talking about the first wave of rockabilly: "Last Man Standing" is a known claim of the Killer's — he famously outlived the rest of the Million Dollar Quartet and his other contemporaries at Sun (and, as it turned out, Little Richard and most other founding voices of rock and roll). I'm not happy they're all dead, either, don't know where you got that impression. It's just surprising that he was even performing up to a couple of years ago.
    The only one that I can think from that era that's still going (although he just announced a farewell tour) is Buddy Guy. He's not rock per se but he's hugely influential in terms of rock guitar. He's 86 but still plays the hell out of his guitar. He's also mentored young guitar players for years. I got to have a drink with him once & he's a really nice man. I just sat & listened to him tell stories. To put it in context Jimi Hendrix once cancelled a show to go see Buddy play.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Oh my god.
    My bad.
    I'm pretty fucking embarrassed, and I'd delete my post, but the honest thing to do would be to leave it up for posterity.

Edit: fuck it, I'm deleting SOME of it
    And I'm leaving you a retaliatory Faceplam, on GP, AND, because you've yet to collect Ted Cruz.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-30-2022 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Yeesh the words ‘constantly conflicted’ doing some heavy ass lifting up there lol.
    He really WAS, though, according to that book I read.
    He'd go on and on about how evil he was, and how he wanted to be a real Christian and such...
    Not unlike his DOUBLE first cousin, Jimmy Swaggart

I think HE thought he was possessed or something.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-30-2022 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    He really WAS, though, according to that book I read.
    He'd go on and on about how evil he was, and how he wanted to be a real Christian and such...
    Not unlike his DOUBLE first cousin, Jimmy Swaggart

I think HE thought he was possessed or something.
    Read the article I linked in the prior page. Myra wrote a second book and I guess she refutes a lot of stuff she wrote in the first book.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    The only one that I can think from that era that's still going (although he just announced a farewell tour) is Buddy Guy.
    I wouldn’t put Buddy in that era. Buddy is straight-up Chicago blues.

Having seen Buddy here at his club many times (and at Ravinia), he plays at his club every January and often just hangs out there. So, yeah, go see Buddy. At Legends. Those old blues guys last forever here in Chi-town.

This was last year:
    https://buddyguy.com/january-info/

Ooo Ivy Ford, she is AWESOME live!

Edit: Legends also had REALLY good catfish and greens but the Vid shortened the menu, so now they got catfish Po’ Boys. Yum!
    Last edited by allegro; 10-31-2022 at 12:45 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I wouldn’t put Buddy in that era. Buddy is straight-up Chicago blues.

Having seen Buddy here at his club many times (and at Ravinia), he plays at his club every January and often just hangs out there. So, yeah, go see Buddy. At Legends. Those old blues guys last forever here in Chi-town.

This was last year:
    https://buddyguy.com/january-info/

Edit: Legends also had REALLY good catfish and greens but the Vid shortened the menu, so now they got catfish Po’ Boys. Yum!
    True. He did start as a sideman @ Chess & was on the chitlin circuit, etc for a long time starting in the 50s. He did cross over in the late 60s to the rock audience though. There's been a fair amount of stuff like Cream & others in his sets in his later years. Last time I saw him he was still going out in the crowd & playing. He stood right in front of me & my friend & played. It was pretty cool & impressed my friend. She had never seen him before. He's more than earned his rest after this tour. If I ever get to Chicago, Legends would be a must stop. I was lucky & saw him play with Junior Wells once. That was a great show. Buddy was standing on the bar playing. In fact, I think that was the first time I saw him. The memory gets fuzzy as I head into decrepitude haha.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Read the article I linked in the prior page. Myra wrote a second book and I guess she refutes a lot of stuff she wrote in the first book.
    I knew she wrote another book...something like The Flame Who Survived?
    But I haven't got around to it.
    Fucking youtube. I mean, at least I'm mostly watching talks from PhDs, now, but YouTube sure has fucked up my reading schedule.

I changed/deleted some of what I said when I quoted you. But, I honestly...I think it's weird that some people (Jagger, Bowie, Elvis, Lennon, MM around HERE until very recently, etc) get a pass, and some don't.

And I mean, the war between the hard living, abusive asshole vs the devout AOG Christian in his mind...I think it was very real. Hell, he released a gospel album or two, did he not?
    And there are TAPES of some of his drunken ramblings about not wanting to be evil, iirc.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-30-2022 at 12:32 PM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    He still does that! He goes outside onto the SIDEWALK!! Just walks right out the damned door while playing.

Holy god!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah ya know I deleted that because I don’t think it shows Buddy in the best light.

Last I saw Buddy was 5 years ago. He was entertaining. But Buddy’s lost it. I wonder if he had Covid. He needs to retire and just hang around his club at the bar.

Anyway, yeah …

Is Abe Vigoda dead?
    Last edited by allegro; 10-30-2022 at 02:11 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Is Abe Vigoda dead?
    He's immortal but he did fake his death a while ago.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Yeah ya know I deleted that because I don’t think it shows Buddy in the best light...
    Wait, what? He's got the Chicago Blues. He still kicks ass.
    He's what, 86?

Guitar still sounds like its talking to ME.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I love Buddy, will be seeing him at Massey Hall again in March. There are still guys from the Motown golden era kicking around too, like Barry Gordy (he'll probably hit age 93 soon!) and Barrett Strong.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Berry Gordy
    Berry ain’t a performer, though.

The Dead Kennedys’ drummer D.H. Peligro died at 63 (head trauma from an accidental fall).

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...234620991/amp/
    Last edited by allegro; 11-01-2022 at 07:52 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Per the New York Times, 10/28/22:

Jules Bass, Co-Producer of TV Holiday Staples, Is Dead at 87

Jules Bass, who created an animation empire with his business partner, Arthur Rankin Jr., that produced perennial Christmastime television favorites like “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” and “Frosty the Snowman,” died on Tuesday, October 25th, in Rye, N.Y. He was 87.

His death, at an assisted living facility, was confirmed by Jennifer Ruff, whose mother was Mr. Bass’s first wife.

The Rankin/Bass studio was a major force in animated programming, mostly on television, from the early 1960s to the late ’80s. Some of its TV shows and movies used traditional hand-drawn cel animation, but it carved out a separate specialty in the stop-motion puppet animation familiar to viewers since “Gumby” in the 1950s.

Rankin/Bass’s stop-motion specials included “Rudolph” (1964), featuring the voice of the folk singer Burl Ives as Sam the Snowman; “Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town” (1970), with Fred Astaire as the narrator and Mickey Rooney as the voice of Kris Kringle; and “Jack Frost” (1979), with Robert Morse voicing the title role.

“Frosty” (1969), narrated by Jimmy Durante, used traditional animation.

To create the stop-motion effect, animators in Japan painstakingly shot thousands of pictures of the tiniest movements and gestures of inches-tall puppets. When run at 24 frames a second, the images generated a whimsical sort of herky-jerky animation that became the Rankin/Bass signature.
    In 2014, CBS promoted “Rudolph” on its 50th anniversary with ads that used stop motion to show the renowned reindeer and Sam the Snowman walking around the network’s backlot, meeting the stars of some of its other shows, including Mayim Bialik of “The Big Bang Theory” and Michael Weatherly of “NCIS.”

“They’re the fabric of our Christmas hearth, the wood in the Christmas fire,” George Schweitzer, CBS’s former president of marketing, said in a phone interview. “You knew Christmas was coming when Rudolph and Frosty showed up on CBS.”
    Last edited by allegro; 11-01-2022 at 07:50 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Migos rapper Takeoff was shot overnight over an altercation about a dice game.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Leslie Jordan: that broke my heart.

That guy was SO unusual and special that he didn't seem REAL. He seemed almost like a cartoon or something, and I loved him SO much.
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkJfb...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Lol lol lol !!!!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Laney Chantal, fx makeup artist and former wife of Jeordie White, dead of an overdose on Halloween. Sad.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Migos rapper Takeoff was shot overnight over an altercation about a dice game.

Yeah, wtf?!

I've been in the hospital with my wife, and our cell phone is out of data or some shit, but GOOD GOD.

THose guys are fucking POP stars, with number one hits.
    If i'm not mistaken, they were collectively worth a cool hundred million or so.
    I don't really listen to that act outside of a few tracks, but it's SO sad, to make all that bread, only to die at 28.

I REALLY don't think those cats were actual street dudes: they're from the suburbs, ffs , and always looked about as gangster as Milli Vanilli, to me.
    I caught a few videos this morning, though. And yeah, they they DID throw up pitchforks...which means Takeoff and co MAY have been GD/Folks.
    What's WORSE is that they MIGHT have been playing a dangerous game, false flagging, because we have this stupid fucking culture these days wherein, if you're a rapper and wanna top the charts, you better be in an ACTUAL gang war, or at least PRETEND like you're about that life.

Either scenario would make him a target for any young BD looking to earn his stripes, OR, a fucking GD who thought he was fake.
    OR, maybe it WAS just an argument over dice.

Either way, i am SO sick of all this "gangster pop" and drill, where the more people you've ostensibly killed, and the more legit your gang affiliation, the better your chance of success...with WHITE kids, who are the ones buying all the fucking records.
    And once you DIE, the WHITE label execs get MORE money, through posthumous releases, and labels taking out life insurance policies on artists.

In other words, the fucking label is ENCOURAGING this shit.
    They'll PRETEND like these imprints are "rap" labels, but follow the money. 10 times out of 9, it's fucking Capitol or Universal or some shit.
    I'll eat my fucking hat if there aren't old suits celebrating this dude's death

There won't BE another Biggie and Pac, because these artists are killed NONSTOP.
    PNB Rock was JUST murdered like 6 weeks ago.

Drakeo, Young Dolph, King Von, Nipsey, Pop Smoke, XXXtentacion, MO3 from MY hometown, Huey, Houdini, fucking Boosie got shot in the leg, Peep died from an overdose of drugs likely provided to him by his handlers, i don't understand HOW Lil Pump survived. For THAT dude's 18th birthday, the label execs got him a Xanax shaped cake, and took him to an arcade with go-carts.
    That's another thing: if it isn't gang association, they seem to like to feed some of these kids drugs
    And that's a VERY short fucking list. That's just off the top of my head.

As a lifelong hip hop fan, this shit...It DISGUSTS ME. These kids are treated like money-making animals by the EXACT people who should want the best for them. And, yeah, homeboy was 28, but still. FUCK, it makes me sick.

IDK, though. This is a sick fucking world, and i wouldn't expect anything less.

Anyway, back to the hospital.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Sad, if not completely unsurprising.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Why unsurprising? What’s up?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Long, public battle with drug addiction.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Long, public battle with drug addiction.
    Ah, okay, thanks. I haven’t kept up with this one.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Last edited by BRoswell; 11-06-2022 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Devastating news.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Absolutely crushed. Been a fan of his masterful portrayal of the Dark Knight since I was a tiny child. From The Animated Series and Mask of the Phantasm through the spectacular Arkham games, Conroy truly was the character in a way I doubt will ever be matched. What an incredible body of work he leaves behind. And a gay icon to boot. Such a sad loss. RIP Master Bruce, thank you for all the memories.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    He brought so much to that role with just that amazing voice of his. As much as I've enjoyed other Batman performances, nobody has ever brought it the way he did. And yes, an icon for us gays.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Gallagher, the comedian known for smashing large fruit with huge hammers, has died. He was basically a pioneer in the world of prop comedy, which although it isn't my favorite thing, is still impressive.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Gallagher, the comedian known for smashing large fruit with huge hammers, has died. He was basically a pioneer in the world of prop comedy, which although it isn't my favorite thing, is still impressive.
    He was also a racist, sexist, homophobic prick.