Page 32 of 105 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 82 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Souls

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Please stop debating about whether or not I aged well. Unfortunately, it hurts all three of my feelings. My body hasn’t aged as well as I have. Blow us.
    Read this on Twitter: "You know you are someone when freaking Meryl Streep plays you in a movie"

It hurts so much to say this but RIP Carrie. You were The Force.

Oh and 2016? DIE ALREADY.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I fucking hate you 2016. I loathe you. You didn't just take away childhood heroes, sport icons, artists, filmmakers, that I love but you broke me into a million pieces. You just took away Carrie. Why? I'm done... I can't take this anymore. I'm still dealing with George Michael. Still not over Bowie. Now this.... 2016 is the worst fucking year ever. Can we put a new Dead Souls thread and just call this Dead Souls 2016?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Richard Adams writer of Watership Down... one of the greatest childrens books of the 20th century died today too.
    The film was amazing.. renown for being the darkest most disturbing childrens films of all time...
    never looked at Rabbits the same....
    Somewhat like George Orwells Animal Farm...taking the social ills of man in the mid 20th century like communism,fascism etc.. replicating them in an animal environment.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just saw this random post on Twitter: http://mashable.com/2016/12/27/kids-...r#sZ5IqQV14sqq

How can it not bring a tear to your eye? This is why Star Wars mean so much to so many people as it gave little girls someone to look up to. Thank you Carrie.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I only found out yesterday that she was hospitalised and was stable after a heart attack, now today she's dead.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Really sad to hear about Carrie Fisher. I really thought she would pull through.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm thinking back to when John Lennon died, and the timing of it happening right before Reagan taking office. 2016 has different circumstances (none of the notable names here were senselessly murdered thankfully) but can't help but compare.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I'm thinking back to when John Lennon died, and the timing of it happening right before Reagan taking office. 2016 has different circumstances (none of the notable names here were senselessly murdered thankfully) but can't help but compare.
    Weird, I still vividly remember the night that John Lennon was murdered.

But I did not remember ANYTHING about it being before Reagan taking office. It wasn't related at all, so I guess it didn't matter to any of us who were mourning Lennon.

(The mourning period seemed to last a REALLY long time. We just couldn't get past it, couldn't contain the grieving.)

Anyway ... Carrie Fisher should mostly be remembered for her being honest about being bipolar and her addictions. She had GUTS.

Carrie Fisher Forever Changed the Way People Talk About Addiction

But unlike most people who struggled with mental health and addiction in the ’70s and ’80s, Fisher shared her story with the world—first in Postcards and then in a succession of other books, including Wishful Drinking, Delusions of Grandma, Shockaholic and Surrender the Pink.

The significance of her choosing to open up about her struggles can’t be stressed enough. We live in a world where we’re supposed to only be projecting lives that showcase our prettiest parts and shroud the darkness; the female lead of the most iconic movie of its time was pretty much obligated to only show the bright and shiny. Fisher took the opposite route.

But what’s just as important as the fact that Fisher came clean about getting clean is how she did it. The woman was an unparalleled quip machine, and while that may not stand out in the tweetable world we now live in, no one was finding addiction hilarious in the ’80s. Then along came a book that opened with the line “Maybe I shouldn’t have given the guy who pumped my stomach my phone number but who cares? My life is over anyway.” The fact that the book was written by Princess Leia, of all people, meant that the way society looked at addiction would never be the same. When she later shared about being bipolar with similar hilarity, she gave mental health awareness the same gift.

Because here’s the thing: one of the most shocking aspects of recovery is the realization that sober alcoholics and addicts are oftentimes hilarious about some of the darkest things imaginable. A 12-step meeting can be far more entertaining than a comedy club. It’s something that those outside of recovery can’t really understand—what do you mean, you sit in church basements talking about your darkest moments and laugh? But Fisher was the first to try to let so-called regular folks peak behind the sober addict’s comedy curtain.
    See also: Carrie Fisher, Bipolar Disorder, Addiction & The People She Inspired
    Last edited by allegro; 12-28-2016 at 01:04 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    January 1st, we need to lock this thread and hope it never comes back.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Yeah, no one's going to die in 2017!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    Yeah, no one's going to die in 2017!
    No one is allowed to die in 2017. Except bad people.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    A friend of G's started a GoFundMe page to save Betty White from 2016.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Which one? Lol. I think there are like ten of them now.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Annnnnd Carrie's mother Debbie Reynolds has passed. What in the actual fuck.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I can't ..what is going on. Condolences for the family, brutal.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    They were tight. Anyone read Postcards From The Edge :'(

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    G called me from work to tell me. Debbie was planning Carrie's funeral when she had the stroke. I think Carrie's death must have for sure contributed to Debbie's death.

Yeah, @Dra508 , Debbie and Carrie were REALLY close.

A double Mom-Daughter funeral, ugh.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-28-2016 at 08:05 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I hate to be that one guy...but this is just something thats normal. it is very sad that all of this is happening, but its hitting us so hard because its our generation of celebs that are passing. 2016's celeb deaths is actually pretty normal. Again, it doesnt make it any less sad, but its just something we have to deal with.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It's not just "your generation," these deaths have spanned many generations, really.

And, yeah, some years are particularly bad for a lot of losses, especially older people.

This photo ... ugh, so poignant .... (fixed link): https://twitter.com/HistoryInPix/sta...95189317632000
    Last edited by allegro; 12-28-2016 at 10:30 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    at least 2016 had the decency to take out Phyllis Schlafly

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    I hate to be that one guy...but this is just something thats normal. it is very sad that all of this is happening, but its hitting us so hard because its our generation of celebs that are passing. 2016's celeb deaths is actually pretty normal. Again, it doesnt make it any less sad, but its just something we have to deal with.
    More folks die around the holidays.

Including this guy

http://www.fox4news.com/news/225996868-story

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Carrie Fisher's daughter, Billie, will get custody of Carrie's beloved dog, Gary.

Gary's Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/Gary_TheDog?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    More folks die around the holidays.

Including this guy

http://www.fox4news.com/news/225996868-story
    Let's not forget Harambe.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Imagine if the whole planet dies on Dec 31.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Strangest nihilist feeling ever, but bring it Melancholia style at this point.

You've met me at a very strange time in my life...

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I'm ready.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    But I'm really looking forward to seeing the Oscars In Memoriam bit

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    It's not just "your generation," these deaths have spanned many generations, really.

And, yeah, some years are particularly bad for a lot of losses, especially older people.

This photo ... ugh, so poignant .... (fixed link): https://twitter.com/HistoryInPix/sta...95189317632000
    And this sums it up for me.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/12/2016-...uchstones.html

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    I dunno, those generation catchnames don't make sense to me since G, me, President Obama and a whole shitload of people were born in the alleged "Baby Boom" which started in 1945 and I don't know SHIT about 1945, I grew up in the 60s and 70s (when they didn't name generations, lol).

Look, everybody dies. The vast majority of celebs and artists who died this year were well over 60. When your PARENTS die after 60, that's when shit really hits the fan.

G and I used to go to his Dad's and stepmom's for Thanksgiving, 8-10 people around the dining room table each year, aunts and uncles and G's Dad and stepmom.

By 2009, they were ALL DEAD. Every one.

Thanksgiving is really, um, intimate now.

Happens to EVERYBODY eventually.

We don't "know" these people who died (memorialized in this thread) but their lives and deaths CAN teach one thing: Value the lives of the ones you truly do know and value, because life is short and our time on this planet IS limited.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-29-2016 at 09:36 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    oh don't get me wrong, I "get" death on a personal level as a very real thing, and not some romanticized gothic notion. Every year we're going to lose people we love, personally and on another larger, more public stage.

Nothing takes away from how fucking insane this has been as a year though, especially for music and iconic personalities. People only resonante from where they're coming from, and that's why cross-generational figures like Carrie Fisher feel very personal to people on a developmental level - they see her has an icon from that special period of time where they can first recall consciousness being a concept they have a memory of. I've heard a lot of people state that she was their "first crush," which in context could be seen as crass or even possibly disgusting (depending on where you're approaching this from), but I thought that was endearing, and I think Carrie would have thought that observation was hilarious.

I'm a fan of gallows humor though; in at least as much as it can ride the razor-thin line of bad taste. There's truth in hearing people exclaim that they remember falling in love with a fantasy sci-fi princess, especially when she proved to be so much more than that.