94 Post(s)
    R-rated Star Trek as well apparently.

How do you guys feel about that?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post

They're already headed in that direction with Discovery. What I really want with the new movie is a GOOD STORY!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    They're already headed in that direction with Discovery. What I really want with the new movie is a GOOD STORY!
    I don't have much doubt that Tarantino can deliver a good story, but I have to say, I don't really see the need for Star Trek of all things to be R-rated. At least we know that they won't be watering anything down, but hopefully the R-rated material (violence? Sex? Cussing?) is warranted and not gratuitous, because that won't feel like Star Trek — especially if this is to be a continuation of the cast from the previous three films. I am excited and intrigued, though!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Even further...Patrick Stewart is interested apparently...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Even further...Patrick Stewart is interested apparently...
    The inclusion of Patrick Stewart would make any movie better! Think they'll finally find a way to work William Shatner in this time??

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    rumor mill saying Quentin Tarantino may write direct star trek after the Harvey debacle he had to shop his next movie which put on the lot of paramount studios sat down with JJ Abrams had a long discussion http://variety.com/2017/film/news/qu...202630524/amp/ we'll see.
    -Louie

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post

I can see it now. The ship’s computer voice will be that of Samuel L. Jackson.

Picard: “Computer..”

Computer: “What Motherfucker?!”

Picard: “ww.. what?”

Computer: “Bitch, did I stutter?! You called me, now what the fuck do you want?!”

Picard: “What… what is this, what's going on here?”

Computer: “Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say what one more Goddamn time!”

But seriously, this is weird news. Way, way weird.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Speaking of TNG, is anyone else reading the Mirror Broken mini series??

Awesome stuff, Picard is ALPHA BADASS in it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Reported that Jon Paul Steuer has passed away at 33.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Anyone else watched last night's episode of Discovery? Because WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK.

Captain Killy is awesome though.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Anyone else watched last night's episode of Discovery? Because WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK.

Captain Killy is awesome though.
    Was never really a huge fan of the mirror episodes, thought they were kind of tedious and not among the more memorable episodes. I did enjoy last night's show and didn't see the whole mirror thing coming. I hope they don't spend the reminder of the season in the mirror universe though. I'm thinking Dr. Culber isn't really gone, and that his mirror counterpart will replace the dead, prime one. Also, it's pretty obvious at this point that Tyler is Voq.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Seems to me with how they're foreshadowing the Emperor, it might be someone we're familiar with. Watch it be someone from Enterprise with an extended life-span or whatevs.

Ed: Or, you know, our former captain.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 01-09-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Seems to me with how they're foreshadowing the Emperor, it might be someone we're familiar with. Watch it be someone from Enterprise with an extended life-span or whatevs.

Ed: Or, you know, our former captain.
    And you are correct. And the worst kept secret was also confirmed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    watched the two newest episodes the other day. i was like, you know who the emperor is gonna be... and sure enough. i was wondering how the Ash story would have played out if i hadn't read the fan theories out there before hand, which of course turned out to be true. Like, when would I have figured it out. not exactly sure, but he sure was suspicious from day one.

wife and i were talking about how we like the show. she got the impression from me that i didn't really like it. that's not totally accurate, I am enjoying it, but there are some things i don't love about it. i kinda feel like in this modern era of season long story arcs vs self contained episodes that some of the plot lines and character development seem rushed or unearned. I feel like the idea of a human raised on vulcan is a twist on a common ST character that has a lot of potential, but i don't think we've been shown enough of Burnham's struggle with that. Stamets seems maybe underused to me too. he's either been comatose or wildly changing personality through the season. obviously there are reasons for that but i'd like to see him stabilize a bit, whether as a weird oracle or as just a biologist.

I think my expectations for Trek are interfering with my feelings for this show. I guess i was hoping for something that would land between Discovery and NexGen, or even Orville. I'm sticking with it though, and hopefully it will come into its own for me.

My wife loves it and said that Lorca might be her favorite captain. nobody's going to surpass JL Picard in my eyes, but Lorca will probably fall in the middle of my list somewhere. Wonder how much Georgiou we will see throughout this series? I really would like to see more of Burnham and Georgiou's time together explored. I wonder if we'll ever see whole episode flashbacks to that timeframe.

also....
    1 Picard
    2 tie - Janeway, Kirk
    3 tie - Archer, Sisko

oh, and really bummed about the doctor, but wife thinks he'll be back... maybe mirror doctor comes back to main universe?
    Last edited by talkingnothing; 01-19-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    This is awesome so far and I have high hopes it will continue to get better in future seasons. Really this is already the best first-season-of-a-series Trek has ever had.

I'd be all in for the Tarantino/Picard film too, but I have my doubts whether it will actually happen.
    Last edited by botley; 01-19-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I dropped out somewhere around the 2nd Mudd episode. Has the show addressed the Klingon re-re-redesign yet?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    No. Why does the design of facial makeup need to be addressed in the storyline? There have been almost as many different designs as different characters on the various series and films.
    Last edited by botley; 01-19-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    The writers of the past felt continuity important enough to create the episodes “Affliction” and “Divergence” to address the initial redesign. If the new guard felt the need to completely redesign the facial makeup, I was just curious if they’d give a sound in-universe reason, or not. Guess they can do what they want without explanation, I was just curious if there were any sightings of old school TOS human looking Klingons, or the more recognizable TNG era Klingons.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    No, not yet, though again — we're not even done with Season One.

The films and TNG never needed to address the addition of Klingon forehead ridges, and it wasn't until nearly twenty years after it first happened (with DS9's Tribble time-travel episode) that any Trek character even slyly acknowledged that some Klingons didn't have the forehead stuff.

Personally, I think the new makeup is a little bit clunky right now (doubtless it will continue to evolve), but the styling of the Klingon ships and armor is incredibly menacing and totally effective.
    Last edited by botley; 01-19-2018 at 03:48 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Went ahead and caught up to episode 11.

Absolutely not a fan of the Klingon redesign. And the retcon of Burnham being an adopted child into Sarek’s family isn’t working for me. Also the spore drive (much like the Xindi attack from Enterprise) seems like a pretty big historical event to never be spoken of again in the series, almost like history just inexplicably forgot it. Those are my nitpicks.

Otherwise it’s a serviceable serial drama. It’s a bit of a dour take on Star Trek, compared to it’s predecessors. A more detailed focus on some pretty flawed characters than we’ve had from past series. Captain Lorca specifically seems like a borderline amoral guy, he somewhat reminds me of Benjamin Maxwell from the TNG episode The Wounded. Or that he’d be a prime candidate for section 31.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rewatching Enterprise. I hated it when it aired and could get through nearly none of it. Doesn't seem quite so bad now.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Okay, that twist I did not see coming. I'm going to enjoy the feeling of having been taken by surprise before I start to think about it and see how much it doesn't make sense. For now. But I'm sure some more 'splaining is coming.

That whole scene with Stamets and Culber was heartbreaking though.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    While I enjoyed the last episode, I wish they didn't kill off Lorca.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Last night's episode was great, lots of twists and turns. I agree with the post above, this is the strongest first season ST has ever had. As someone who didn't like Discovery at first, I'm pleasantly surprised with how well this show is turning out.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    If you follow Trek boards, the Lorca reveal wasn't much of a surprise. It seemed obvious that he was responsible for taking the crew to the mirror universe. I would like to see Prime Lorca at some point. I'm a little disappointed that he won't be the captain going forward.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    They pulled a Ned Stark on us!

I want to know what happened to Prime Lorca. Ok I just want more Jason Isaacs.

Is the techno babble getting annoying or is it just me?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I think they sufferer from the other title with the word star in it, to many fans to much fan fiction to were you can never satisfy the fan base. this is what happens when you lose control of your original IP. look I'm all about creative input. but there is a point. when it will never be as good as others. best to just move on.
    -Louie

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    They pulled a Ned Stark on us!

I want to know what happened to Prime Lorca. Ok I just want more Jason Isaacs.

Is the techno babble getting annoying or is it just me?
    Yeah, enough with explaining how the spore drive works. It's pretend.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    I think they sufferer from the other title with the word star in it...
    The original Kylo Ren, circa early 1980s…

Bonus point for anyone who can name the character who is behind the mask!!!