Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevelle

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Chevelle

Well figured I would restart a thread for these guys since the new album will be out this Tuesday! Hats off to the Bull is the name of the new album and all I have to say is it is their best material to date. Guitar solos, harmonies, organs, talk boxes and such have been used so they have stepped outside of their element just enough to show how much their maturity comes out in these songs.

1. Face to the Floor
    2. Same Old Trip
    3. Ruse
    4. The Meddler
    5. Piņata
    6. Envy
    7. Hats off to the Bull
    8. Arise
    9. Revenge
    10. Prima Donna
    11. Clones
    12. Indifference (Itunes bonus track)
    13. Glimpse of the Con (Best Buy bonus track)

I recommend listening to Ruse, The Meddler, and Envy if you don't want to go through it in order.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    agreed. this band is the best youre gonna get with safe radio rock nowadays.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    is there a decent rip of this available yet?, only one I've found is a 128kb rip and was a pretty small file size so no doubt not that great a quality

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    There is a rip out there for 320... I'lll have to send it to you when I get a chance. From Chevelleonline.net

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    that would be great, just had my hard drive replaced and having to rip all
    my cd's again and download everythin else that I've lost so every little bit helps lol

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I enjoy some Chevelle... seen them 2 or 3 times in concert, they always put on a great show. I listened to the new album but it just sounded like the same old Chevelle to me, so nothing really jumped out at me on the first listen.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^ Yea man, give it another listen through. Envy and Pinata defintely show a newer side to their sound. I would say Revenge is very Toolesque in my opinion. Plus, Pete is playing the bassline in that song

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just recently got into Chevelle like a month ago. A really good band that should get more recognition.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    They get quite a bit of recognition. How many bands do you like that get as much radioplay.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripe(withdecay) View Post
    Just recently got into Chevelle like a month ago. A really good band that should get more recognition.
    Good time to get into them with the new album and all And you are right on the recognition part. They are popular and get radio play, but only with their singles. Every time I bring them up in a conversation, people are like "O those are the guys that wrote Send the Pain Below and The Red right?" Ugh I just want to hand plant my face when people say that. But I digress. And the Tool references need to finally stop with these guys IMO.

I'm seeing them in February and cannot wait to hear the new material live.

Interesting interview: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/inter...ike_music.html

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    New single!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    New single!

(deleted post) read your post wrong.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    New song called "Fizgig" off of their greatest hits album. Loving the 90's crunching riff in this one.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Soo, the guys are in the studio making a new record and I was really surprised to hear some synth in this preview. Really intrigued what they have up their sleeves this time around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That clip sounds great. I think these guys get better with every album, Hats Off to the Bull being my favorite. Definitely looking forward to new music from them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    "You're rebirth can't hurt" - Closure

Family System fucken rocks as well

"I'm tired of your open mouth crawling inside my skin..." one of the best opening lines

Great band, Seen em a bunch live, was kinda underwhelmed by their live shows, although their studio work is great

This Type of Thinking is one of my all time favorite albums as well as Point #1

Point #1 I feel gets no fucken love

Dos is a great

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralout View Post
    That clip sounds great. I think these guys get better with every album, Hats Off to the Bull being my favorite. Definitely looking forward to new music from them.
    I agree. HOTTB showed them branching off a little bit from what they're usually used to playing, but there are some real gems on that album. "Revenge", "Envy, and "Indifference" are my favorites from the bull era. I'd like to see them carry some of what they did on the previous album and mix that with what they are going to be doing this time around. Cannot wait for another update!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I personally felt like HOTTB was Sci Fi Crimes Part Duex. I still thoroughly enjoyed it, and am a big fan of chevelle period. I like all their albums and don't think they have put out anything bad. Ive seen em a bunch of times and would see them again in a heart beat.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I don't know what to think about Chevelle.
    They're a Tool rip-off band and they're shitty live. But damn have they written some great tunes, especially on This Type of Thinking...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I can definitely hear the Tool influence, especially in their earlier stuff. But shitty live? I've seen them twice and both times they were far from it. Anyway, new single:

Digging it.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I don't know what to think about Chevelle.
    They're a Tool rip-off band and they're shitty live. But damn have they written some great tunes, especially on This Type of Thinking...
    A Tool ripoff band?? There is a difference between being a "Ripoff band", and being "Influenced".. but I know I don't have to explain that to you Aggro.. Chevelle is Chevelle.. Not only are they probably one of the only consistent heavy rock bands out there, they are still relevant to the music community and Tool hasn't done anything relevant since 2006. They had that Tool comparison on Point#1, and Wonder What's Next days.. but mostly for how Pete and Maynard's vocals sounded much alike with their deliveries. They have their own sound, and continue to make solid, rock records.

As far as their live shows?? I have seen them 4 times and they have been nothing but solid and energetic.. that's just me though. The single is a very nice surprise and everything I was looking for in a Chevelle single. Hard hitting, great lyrics, and some good old fashion raw Chevelle screams and different little side on the guitars as well. Cannot wait to hear all of "La Gargola".
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 02-03-2014 at 02:53 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i don't know anything about this band other than they make me pause before changing the alt-rock station. i like them and have thought many times of trying out a full record.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Chevelle is a bit like Sevendust: a second-tier band from the nu-metal era, not quite nu-metal, that seems to have a devoted core fanbase, but doesn't really break out of its niche. I would say Chevelle have never been "relevant" in a way that say, Staind have: Staind had their moment in the mainstream spotlight, but Chevelle have always seemed to be a little in the background. They have talent, but the derivative nature of their sound smothers their songwriting a bit. Sometimes they really hit the spot with me (such as in Jars, below). But for cultural and musical impact putting them above Tool is wrong. Tool have never really left the spotlight, Chevelle have never really been in it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Chevelle is a bit like Sevendust: a second-tier band from the nu-metal era, not quite nu-metal, that seems to have a devoted core fanbase, but doesn't really break out of its niche. I would say Chevelle have never been "relevant" in a way that say, Staind have: Staind had their moment in the mainstream spotlight, but Chevelle have always seemed to be a little in the background. They have talent, but the derivative nature of their sound smothers their songwriting a bit. Sometimes they really hit the spot with me (such as in Jars, below). But for cultural and musical impact putting them above Tool is wrong. Tool have never really left the spotlight, Chevelle have never really been in it.
    i would agree with this. i think chevelle never really reached the popularity/relevance that they probably deserve (in the rock or pop rock realm). there is nothing really special about them, but they make solid rock records. i wouldn't call them nu-metal as i don't find them overly heavy and they don't rap. they also are more interesting to listen to in my opinion. i would put them in a similar category as the deftones. as far as the tool references go i don't really get it. there is a slight similarity in sound, but it isn't really that noticeable. someone mentioned before that it really just sounds like a band that likes tool. when i think of a band that sounds like tool i think of soen. these days i listen to chevelle much more than i listen to tool. however, i rarely put on a chevelle album to really "listen" to it, but i put it on while driving quite a bit.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I hear what you are saying... but Sevendust is a heavy/ballad band to me. Yea, Lajon has a great voice.. but I cannot stand the cheesy lyrics, or love ballads from a band like them or even sounds like them. For me, Chevelle separates themselves from the rest of the bunch because I think they are a lot more talented than the crap that comes out these days especially in the Hard Rock scene. They were in the spotlight for a good amount when "Wonder What's Next", and "This Type Of Thinking" came out... they have always been in the spotlight, but like you said in the background. That's also what I like about Pete.. his lyrics can be deep, metaphoric, and he doesn't whine about relationships and how much he is a "Hollywood Star" like some "Hard Rock" bands.. (Nickleback, 3 Doors Down, etc...). His lyrics make you think, and even look up a word or two in the dictionary.

For me, I put them above Tool personally.. and I am not being biased.. I always found Tool to become old, and boring music. They have only been relevant recently because of Maynard and their devoted fan base..not musically. Not hearing anything from the band at all since 2006, Chevelle has released almost 4 records since then all which have reached gold status... it becomes more than just quality of music for me. Tool are a bunch of dicks, everyone knows that. But when a band like Chevelle is so personable with their fans, and makes consistent.. solid hard rock music.. they deserve a bit more here like many, many people and fans say and deserve to stop being compared to freaking Tool, or being labeled as a "Rip Off Band".

......And Jars?? One of their best songs
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 02-04-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i watched a couple youtube vids of them live. so underwhelming. semi-new songs with a vinyl sheet background? what was that, battle of the bands in schenectady? then read a bit about their christian rock background. gag.

kthx, but nevermind.
    Last edited by kel; 02-05-2014 at 01:18 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    i watched a couple youtube vids of them live. so underwhelming. semi-new songs with a vinyl sheet background? what was that, battle of the bands in schenectady? then read a bit about their christian rock background. gag.

kthx, but nevermind.
    They were never christian rock... they were just signed to a label that was and people assumed. Pete, and especially the bands drummer Sam, has clarified this several times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I personally love the new song. The best thing about Chevelle is that they always sound like Chevelle. Can't wait for the new album!