Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Opeth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Opeth

The video for The Devil's Orchard is great

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I saw them on their latest tour. Can't really say I love, or have an emotional connection to, their older stuff, but Watershed and Heritage are spectacular and fun as hell. And yes, that video, yessss. It seems I prefer self-conscious Opeth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Love Opeth! Seeing them tonight as a matter of fact, should be great! I have a hard time getting into their older stuff, maybe I'm drawn to Opeth because of their progressive elements rather than their death-metal elements. Anyway, I love everything from Blackwater Park and beyond. Heritage is one of their best, it's always amazing to see a band willing to try new stuff, and then the new stuff works as good as the old stuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I seen them on the Heritage tour as well. It went over pretty well live. My favorite album is Ghost Reveries because of the super amounts of awesome keyboard work in it. Very dark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ghost Reveries is my fav too! ^^ It's so rich with great melodies and textures.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Massive Opeth fan here. Okay, they're my favorite band. I seriously love all of their albums, including the current one Heritage, though there are many Opeth fans that don't seem to like it very much. Saw them for the first time at the House Of Blues in Orlando on October 1st. Like pretty much all shows on the Heritage tour, not a single growl was made during the show, but it was still a fucking great show!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tour with Mastodon just announced.

I believe in Miracles.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Tour with Mastodon just announced.

I believe in Miracles.
    Mastodon has been touring with ALL of my favorite metal bands lately and I'm beyond excited about it. REALLY hope that the tour comes to KC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mastodon? Jesus, give me a break. Oh well, I get to see Opeth minus Mastodon at Wacken, so at least there's that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Have seen them on the last three tours and loved them every time.

Heavy set, growl-less set - who cares! They're class either way.

[/fandom post]

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    To me the Opeth Mastodon combination is a dream. Two of the best acts out there. was not thrilled about the last Mastodon though. It lacked the technical awesomeness and timey rhythmness of their earlier work.

But I think both will be slightly past the album promotions stage of their tour and will be somewhat free to explore their respective discogs.

if Only Meshuggah and Volta could join them. I'd leave feeling dizzy...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Well this is awesome. A professionally shot and edited show from the recent tour up for free

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The fat dude in the front row with the afro wearing a blazer really sums up Opeth's new direction. Oh well, only another year or so of this new sound and we can have the old Opeth back!

i hope

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    As a big fan of Heritage and Watershed, I've been diving through Opeth's back catalog. Ghost Reveries has so many cool, slick ideas every which way (though it sounds like Tool and Porcupine Tree together in Opeth's style at times), Deliverance is the most badass, and Still Life was a little lackluster but picked up towards the end. I really do want to see them again with Mastodon.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It's all about the first 3 albums! I'm hoping they've gotten some of heritage out of their system by the time I see them. It's alright and all but I like their pre-watershed days so much more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    As a big fan of Heritage and Watershed, I've been diving through Opeth's back catalog. Ghost Reveries has so many cool, slick ideas every which way (though it sounds like Tool and Porcupine Tree together in Opeth's style at times), Deliverance is the most badass, and Still Life was a little lackluster but picked up towards the end. I really do want to see them again with Mastodon.
    I agree with the Deliverance statement, at least the first two tracks. Got to see Wreath live and it was amazing. But Still Life is absolutely amazing, give it a few more spins. And I also, like Wretchedest, hope this Watershred/Heritage phase is over soon (by August when I see them again), because the Opeth of the past is way better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Speaking of Tool in Opeth......Martin Lopez's new band with Steve Digiorgio is kinda neat. I doubt it deserves it's own thread, so I'll throw it here.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    On the next album: "We've been looking at [tracking the next album at] Rockfield Studios in Wales where Queen recorded 'Bohemian Rhapsody', but we haven't made a decision yet, but it will be an expensive album. There's a lot going on, lots of string arrangements that we haven't had in the past." When asked if it will it be heavier or softer than Heritage, Åkerfeldt said, "Maybe a little bit heavier, not death metal heavy, but hard rock/heavy metal heavy. There's also lots of progressive elements and acoustic guitars, but also more sinister-sounding riffs."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Speaking of Opeth and Sweden...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Word...

Although the Swedish metal masters have not yet decided on a title for the disc, we can exclusively confirm that Opeth are aiming to unleash their newest opus in June 2014.

http://loudwire.com/opeth-hope-11th-studio-album-june/

It was during our interview that Akesson predicted a June release for Opeth’s next disc, while Akerfeldt spoke in depth about the band’s 11th full-length. “If it sounds like us, that’s good. And if it sounds like something we don’t know, that’s also good,” begins Akerfeldt. “This album has some parts that sound like us and some parts that sound kind of new too. It’s a bit heavier than ‘Heritage’ at times and it’s a bit more melodic. I think it should be a bit easier to get into this record because there’s a lot of focus on the melodies. We’re a progressive band. Sometimes we sound like a metal band and sometimes we don’t.”

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Very much looking forward to this, if it's all it promises to be.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Also, a new book...

Official Illustrated History of Opeth

To celebrate their 25th anniversary Opeth have teamed up with book publisher Rocket 88 to work on the official Opeth book. ... Rocket 88 Books are inviting fans to get in touch if they have any items of visual interest: photos/posters/ticket stubs/fliers/anything!

http://www.opeth.com/home/news/item/...ok-fan-request

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I am beyond excited. Hopefully it's super progressive and also a tiny bit heavy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Well well well... I've been cautiously optimistic about this album for months. But after reading this preview/review, I'm now in full blown excited as fuck mode.

First Impressions of the New Untitled OPETH Album, A Track-By-Track Review

* The record has no name and the songs have no titles, so each song I'm going to title as the numbered track with the track length next to it. This way when the record comes out we'll at least know which songs I was referring to.
    * The songs are also apparently not "sequenced" which is an industry term for them not being in the final order for the album so I'm going to leave the flow from song to song out of this review.
    * I'm going to go track by track here and then make a statement at the end about the record overall. Think of that last part as a straightforward review.
    * Oh, and there's no growls or death metal vocals on this record. So if you're going to skim this review for any mention of them, save your time and go read something else.

http://www.metalinjection.net/review...y-track-review
    Last edited by pulse; 03-27-2014 at 06:32 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/new...union-20140408

Opeth has announced the release of their hugely anticipated eleventh studio album. Pale Communion arrives everywhere June 17.

Pale Communion, which was produced by bandleader Mikael Åkerfeldt and mixed by longtime collaborator and Porcupine Tree frontman/guitarist Steven Wilson, will be heralded by the lead single, “Cusp of Eternity,” and available for pre-order starting Tuesday, May 6. Pre-orders made via the iTunes Store will receive an instant download of “Cusp of Eternity,” with multiple configurations also available via both the Roadrunner Records Webstore and O Merch.

The new material finds Opeth once again challenging the boundaries of extreme music. In a recent interview with VICE’s Noisey, Åkerfeldt stated, “I wanted to do something more melodic with this album…there’s stronger vocal melodies and more melodies overall…I was pretty consistent with that frame of mind throughout the writing process.” Recently, Metal Injection’s Greg Kennelty broke down Pale Communion in a track-by-track review, exclaiming, “This record knows exactly what it's doing and nails it through and through…one of my favorite records of 2014. If not my favorite record of 2014.”

The track listing for Pale Communion is as follows:

1. Eternal Rains Will Come
    2. Cusp of Eternity
    3. Moon Above, Sun Below
    4. Elysian Woes
    5. Goblin
    6. River
    7. Voice of Treason
    8. Faith in Others

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I was expecting this announcement soon, but I wasnt expecting the album itself so soon.

They seem really serious about abandoning metal! Weird....