Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: True Detective

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    What the hell was the vortex?? I'm very surprised it's hard to find even an opinion on this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    What the hell was the vortex?? I'm very surprised it's hard to find even an opinion on this.
    Are people still confused about this? Multiple times throughout the series Rust mentioned he had visions ever since his days deep undercover. It was one of his visions. The birds in episode 2 forming the spiral were also a vision like the vortex. The way the lights were in episode one were also a vision like the vortex. In the finale him and Marty were talking about his visions in the car and Rust said they never really go away.

As for an explanation of why they put it there, I think it was just a device used to get Rust off his guard that wasn't a full on horror stereotype.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipfinator View Post
    The way the lights were in episode one were also a vision like the vortex.
    Just for the record both of those things happened in episode 2, actually.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Deleted scene of Rust and Lori breaking up.
    http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/true...up-1201130309/

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    very excited reading all the praise...i have the first episode and am probably going to watch it tomorrow.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Didn't any of y'all watch the inside the episode shorts on HBO Go? The writer and director explain a bit of what seems to confuse so e folks here: Rust at the end, the final set etc. I read a few articles on Slate or Salon that go into some of the detail as well.

I'd be curious if the next season will be able to shine next to the first. It won't be the same director, but will be the same writer. I really have a new found respect for Matthew McC and Woody Harrrelson's acting.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    I'd be curious if the next season will be able to shine next to the first. It won't be the same director, but will be the same writer. I really have a new found respect for Matthew McC and Woody Harrrelson's acting.
    If this were my show, I would have each season take place in a different state (or perhaps different country) with a different cast. Somewhat similar interaction between the two detectives, but in a different environment with different actors who could even have the same names each season.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    If this were my show, I would have each season take place in a different state (or perhaps different country) with a different cast. Somewhat similar interaction between the two detectives, but in a different environment with different actors who could even have the same names each season.
    ... ....
    no

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    It was already said from the beginning that each season will have all new casts. There's a quote from Nic Pizza in some interview where he says this about season two...

"This is really early, but I'll tell you it's about hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    incredible television. just ran the series front to back between yesterday and today and it was great. amazing casting.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    ... ....
    no
    my bad, care to elaborate?
    Last edited by Minpin; 03-24-2014 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Saturday night; drunk.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Here's another comment for you to 'facepalm'.

Maybe you could expand upon your waste of time 'no' comment. As far as I'm aware, this is an anthology, so I'll spell it out for you. WHAT. THE. FUCK. ARE. YOU. SAYING. NO. TOO???

Different state (country)? different actors? different interactions between characters? different names?

i may've been a bit obnoxious in my initial reply, sorry, but what I was responding to was garbage.
    Last edited by Minpin; 03-24-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I like how it wont just be different people in a different place but likely a different time too, even if it's only a couple years difference it'll still just be a nice little change. Who knows how many characters there's gonna be too. They could go with a single main protagonist or it could be a larger group next time round. I'm keen to see what they do, that's for sure.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minpin View Post
    my bad, care to elaborate?
    off-topic "calling people out" for bad posts with an exceptionally fucked in the face post is just bad form; erasing your original post is just fucking lame. at least your original post had attitude going for it.

you don't like my pissy response, which was at least on topic? cool, I'll not give a shit now. pretty weird to be drunkenly posting irate responses to pithy discussion board postings on a saturday night, but to each his own.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sa_nick View Post
    I like how it wont just be different people in a different place but likely a different time too, even if it's only a couple years difference it'll still just be a nice little change. Who knows how many characters there's gonna be too. They could go with a single main protagonist or it could be a larger group next time round. I'm keen to see what they do, that's for sure.
    at this point, I feel like the writer has earned my trust, and that's what I'm looking for. I suppose theoretically they could pursue the Yellow King a bit more or the child-abuse cult, but I feel like that season was beautifully complete. I'd like to see something totally different -- I'm really just interested in the fact that it's the same crew.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    off-topic "calling people out" for bad posts with an exceptionally fucked in the face post is just bad form; erasing your original post is just fucking lame. at least your original post had attitude going for it.
    Well I'm glad you realised it was a bad post Bad form initially on my part indeed, which is why I took it down. A 'fucked in the face post' for what I still think is a garbage response to a legitimate question.

I'm not sure what my original post was, but I'll try and duplicate. Your piece of shit, '... ... no', wasn't an answer. It was a condescending piece of shit, which is how I treated it.

you don't like my pissy response, which was at least on topic? cool, I'll not give a shit now. pretty weird to be drunkenly posting irate responses to pithy discussion board postings on a saturday night, but to each his own.
    I obviously didn't like your 'pissy' response, and i think you've got a distorted view of what 'on topic' means. Oh boy did you contribute something constructive! Maybe you tried to and failed? Maybe you thought '... ... no' actually answered the 4/5 questions posited in the post you replied to?

No, somehow I think you were trying to be an arsehole. I don't give a fuck what your actual opinion is. Because apparently.

Each season is in a different state (country) - "... ... no"

A different cast - "... ... no" (think you may be wrong there pal)

similar interaction between the detectives - "... ... no"

Same character names - "... ... no" (not going to happen, but still you couldn't just say that?!"
    Last edited by Minpin; 03-26-2014 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Ooh the facepalms! The horror, the horror! Have some likes mate, take that!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I can't get enough of @screwdriver facepalming @Minpin . LOLZ hahahaha. Ok now you boys hug it out.

JESUS FUCK, this show was SO...BAD...ASS.
    Dream team of actors in performances that actually went above and beyond what i expected!
    AMAZING fucking dialogue! INCREDIBLE story! GREAT cinematography/camera work!
    A FUCKTON of general badassery!

I just wish it was longer.
    THis show was better than any movie i've seen recently, and i've seen a lot.

If you are reading this trying to make up your mind about whether or not to watch, WATCH IT!!!!
    I have a new respect for Matthew Mc. He is just utterly fucking mind blowing in this, with a creepiness and intelligence i never new he had. In my opinion, based on the dialogue he rattles off and his aperrant understanding of it, Matthew M. posseses the intelligence of the character.

This show is the SHIT. EVERY episode was the SHIT, the finale was the SHIT...Got DAMN!
    It's the Cat's Ass!

"What's scented meat?"

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    First actual details from Nic regarding Season 2:

“Right now, we’re working with three leads. It takes place in California. Not Los Angeles, but some of the lesser known venues of California and we’re going to try to capture a certain psychosphere ambience of the place, much like we did with season one. The characters are all new, but I am deeply in love with all of them. We have the entire season broken out, and I have a couple of scripts, and we’ll probably start casting within the coming month.”

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    First actual details from Nic regarding Season 2:

“Right now, we’re working with three leads. It takes place in California. Not Los Angeles, but some of the lesser known venues of California and we’re going to try to capture a certain psychosphere ambience of the place, much like we did with season one. The characters are all new, but I am deeply in love with all of them. We have the entire season broken out, and I have a couple of scripts, and we’ll probably start casting within the coming month.”
    so excited for season 2

so bummed out that it's CA, even if lesser known CA. its a huge fucking country, in a huge fucking world. we see enough CA!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Heard endless good things about this show and since it comes out on video soon I shall get that Blu-Ray.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I really like the idea of a California setting, so long as they do it right. I used to live way, way out in the desert, sort of between LA and San Diego, probably 30 minutes from any civilization, and there was kind of a wild west thing going on out there, plenty of meth labs and bizarre hillbilly dudes. Something like that could work well as a continuation of the themes from season one, exploring the weird outskirts of society.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I finally got around to watching the first episode. I liked it, despite the slow pacing and sometimes predictable expository drivel, but I'm mostly surprised that it's something people like so much. Everything about it that I liked has the hallmark of something that everyone else seems to hate: Dry weirdness, no likable characters, bleak overtones, emphasis on dialog.

I'm intrigued, but as of yet I don't understand the appeal.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I remember watching half a year ago Mud and Dallas Buyers Club almost in a row, and thinking that McConaughey would be a perfect pair to Woody Harrelson. Then I learned about this show.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    I really like the idea of a California setting, so long as they do it right. I used to live way, way out in the desert, sort of between LA and San Diego, probably 30 minutes from any civilization, and there was kind of a wild west thing going on out there, plenty of meth labs and bizarre hillbilly dudes. Something like that could work well as a continuation of the themes from season one, exploring the weird outskirts of society.
    yeah, fair enough -- I LOVE it out there. But they could've done a similar thing in Nevada or something! Oh well. If the first season is any indication, I am going to flip the fuck out for this show regardless, I'm just whining!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Season 2 will have four leads, all known actors, announcement apparently expected within a week.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Season 2 will have four leads, all known actors, announcement apparently expected within a week.
    I thought it was 3 lead characters; I must have been mistaken.

Colin Farrell is in talks for the lead; I won't link because the busy server is eating my posts and it's pissing me off.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Colin Farrell could be great, but really I trust any casting this show decides to go with.

Also, @marodi : I guess you could say it's The Eater of Posts

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm kinda hoping for Gary Oldman and Willem Dafoe.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I'm kinda hoping for Gary Oldman and Willem Dafoe.
    That would be fucking insane. I don't think I wanna set my hopes that high though.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)