Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Caffeine Thread

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Aw man, what the hell. Poor civets

How did this practice ever develop in the first place?! Luxury coffee made from Civet poop? Who came up with this insanity?
    In a nutshell: the 18th century equivalent of dumpster diving. Farmers wanted a taste of the crops they were harvesting for the Dutch, and they realized that civets were basically shitting out the beans whole. So they took them home and roasted them.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    In a nutshell: the 18th century equivalent of dumpster diving. Farmers wanted a taste of the crops they were harvesting for the Dutch, and they realized that civets were basically shitting out the beans whole. So they took them home and roasted them.
    Hmm, yeah you're right, wikipedia says...

In the early 18th century the Dutch established the cash-crop coffee plantations in their colony in the Dutch East Indies islands of Java and Sumatra, including Arabica coffee introduced from Yemen. During the era of Cultuurstelsel (1830–70), the Dutch prohibited the native farmers and plantation workers from picking coffee fruits for their own use. Still, the native farmers wanted to have a taste of the famed coffee beverage. Soon, the natives learned that certain species of musang or luwak (Asian palm civet) consumed the coffee fruits, yet they left the coffee seeds undigested in their droppings. The natives collected these luwaks' coffee seed droppings, then cleaned, roasted and ground them to make their own coffee beverage.[9] The fame of aromatic civet coffee spread from locals to Dutch plantation owners and soon became their favourite, yet because of its rarity and unusual process, the civet coffee was expensive even during the colonial era.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    tried it this morning. not bad!

didn't 100% knock my socks off, but it was nice I guess. still feel weird about the production process, but whatever.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    One time I mixed caffeine (a venti tea from Starbucks) and kratom (roughly 5 grams or more) and it messed me way up.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    One time I mixed caffeine (a venti tea from Starbucks) and kratom (roughly 5 grams or more) and it messed me way up.
    In a good way or a bad way?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    In a good way or a bad way?
    Very bad! Just felt overly jacked to the point of being sick. Nearly threw up. I took a Dramamine, way too late.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I have fallen in love with these: