Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Eminem - The Slim Shady Thread

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Eminem - The Slim Shady Thread

Anyone care for Bad Meets Evil's EP? I never gave it a listen.

Might as well make this a general discussion and news thread.

I've had The Eminem Show on non-stop this week. So good. White America, Without Me and Hailie's Song are always choice cuts.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 12-02-2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: grmmr

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I was really into Eminem during the Marshal Mathers LP/Eminem Show/8 Mile era. When Encore came out, I wasn't impressed and kinda just forgot about him. Haven't really bothered trying to listen to the newer stuff, though I heard it was getting some decent reviews.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgalbraith View Post
    I was really into Eminem during the Marshal Mathers LP/Eminem Show/8 Mile era. When Encore came out, I wasn't impressed and kinda just forgot about him. Haven't really bothered trying to listen to the newer stuff, though I heard it was getting some decent reviews.
    Oh god, Encore....Big Weenie, Ass Like That...the songs on that album were abysmal in intellect and not that good. Rhyming meanie with weenie? God, Marshall.

As for his newer stuff, I'd give Recovery a try. That has great reviews and people seem to like it. I personally prefer and enjoy Relapse much more than Recovery. I'm in that minority group. Recovery is good.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 12-02-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Oh god, Encore....Big Weenie, Ass Like That...the songs on that album were abysmal in intellect and not that good. Rhyming meanie with weenie? God, Marshall.
    At least he can rhyme birthday with first place.

As for his newer stuff, I'd give Recovery a try. That has great reviews and people seem to like it. I personally prefer and enjoy Relapse much more than Recovery. I'm in that minority group. Recoveyr is good.
    I also prefer Relapse to Recovery. I've listened to Recovery a fair amount of times, but I don't even remember many of the song names to go back and listen to the ones I specifically like. I like a good amount on Relapse, though, and I didn't even notice the accents I see people complaining about. Well, they didn't bother me at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Recovery is his pop album. It's solid, but it doesn't really move me like his older stuff does. Relapse is solid, but it's very much in the ridiculous ultraviolence mode of his early records. Also, that accent gets annoying really quickly. Haven't listened to Bad Meets Evil yet and Encore is still the only album I regret spending money on.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Recovery has the greatest rapping skills I've heard of his in a long time. The subject matter just made me snooze. Relapse was pretty shit. I've only heard one of those Bad Meets Evil songs. It was okay, I guess. He'll never be able to outdo Slim Shady LP.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    listen to old Bat Meets Evil EP instead. MUCH better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I rate 'The Sauce' as one of the best things he ever put out. No hooks or chorus, just one long, venomous verse...

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    bad meets evil is definitely his best work in a long LONG time.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I don't care what anyone says I think his last one was his best and I was a fan since the very beginning before he even released album, not that it matters. Just saying I believe all the pitchfork fanboys just followed along and parroted. His deliver in Recovery sounded if he was free-styling . I have always liked the way he raps such as in songs like " The way I am " " Till I collapse" I felt the new album all the songs had that same delivery and none of them were stupid joke songs. IMO Recovery was the album I been waiting for . Perfect album in my eyes
    Last edited by Rdm; 01-11-2012 at 01:27 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I liked him when I was like 14. Nowadays, not so much.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Even though I'm not a huge fan of him anymore, I still consider The Marshall Mathers LP to be a fantastic album. I've enjoyed a few of his songs since then, but that's the only album I can come back to as a whole and enjoy.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I haven't been into Eminem as much as I've used to, but The Slim Shady LP, The Marshall Mathers LP and most of The Eminem Show will always remain to be my favorite albums from him. I've also thought of getting back into him though.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-12-2012 at 12:20 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Still love Slim Shady and MM LPs. And I love how he's still a true believer in Detroit.

And this song will always make me laugh:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    I don't care what anyone says I think his last one was his best and I was a fan since the very beginning before he even released album, not that it matters. Just saying I believe all the pitchfork fanboys just followed along and parroted. His deliver in Recovery sounded if he was free-styling . I have always liked the way he raps such as in songs like " The way I am " " Till I collapse" I felt the new album all the songs had that same delivery and none of them were stupid joke songs. IMO Recovery was the album I been waiting for . Perfect album in my eyes
    Pretty much this.

Always been a fan though i have never listened to him a lot. I tend to agree that Recovery was one of his better albums. It will be interesting to see what he does next.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I enjoy Relapse because of the hilarious lyrics and his accents and THE COHERENT, LINEAR STORIES found in the songs. What other rapper would be brave enough rap with different accents? Some of the beats and choruses though weren't that particularly good and sometimes actually boring. Still, it's a good album with some solid songs: 3am, My Mom, Bagpipes in Bagdhad, Medicine Ball, We Made You. Even Crack A Bottle was released during this era and it's very solid, with classic Dre beats (you can see the progression from 2001) and a high level verse from Eminem.

Recovery is more tuneful overall with some great songs: Not Afraid, Cold Wind Blows, On Fire, Going Through Changes. The problem is with the preponderance of mediocre lyrics DELIVERED IN A PASSIONATE, EMOTIONAL WAY that they don't warrant. He's rapping every song like it's his last day on Earth and he seems so full of confidence, yet much of the lyrics are just terrible, disconnected one-liners that suck. He seems to be taking things too seriously and it just shows his age and insecurity, like he's trying to cover it up.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 01-12-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    Recovery is more tuneful overall with some great songs: Not Afraid, Cold Wind Blows, On Fire, Going Through Changes. The problem is with the preponderance of mediocre lyrics DELIVERED IN A PASSIONATE, EMOTIONAL WAY that they don't warrant. He's rapping every song like it's his last day on Earth and he seems so full of confidence, yet much of the lyrics are just terrible, disconnected one-liners that suck. He seems to be taking things too seriously and it just shows his age and insecurity, like he's trying to cover it up.
    I disagree.

How can we say his lyrics don't warrant his emotional delivery ? Do we live in his shoes? How can anyone say he is taking himself too seriously. Also, I think its sort of neat how honest and straight forward the lyrics are. I just grow tiring to see such a great album, IMO, like recovery get bashed and criticized for lyrical content when an album like Kanye West's -Dark Fantasy gets such praise when the lyrical content is laughable at best, again my opinion. I have said this from day one Recovery >>>>>>>> Dark Fantasy . Not like thats even on topic, but it's relevant seeing how both albums came out the same year and one got great praise while the other got bashed. .

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    As sad as it is, I almost prefer Eminem when his life was in the toilet. He was a lunatic who had somehow gotten a hold of a microphone, but now he just reminds me of all the other rappers out there now.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I can't believe that I forgot to bump this thread. The Marshall Mathers LP 2 is coming out on November 5th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marshall_Mathers_LP_2

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Huh. Retrospective to a classic album? New band logo cut from the old? Song for a Call of Duty? Seems Eminem has nine inch nails in one of his eyelids.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    The new shit is so bad.
    Oh my god it's so bad.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yeah, pretty much. The Call of Duty thing falls flat. I want to like Berserk, it's got that great Beastie Boys vibe, but it's such a mess everywhere else.
    Last edited by Magtig; 09-08-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    The guy is obviously pretty funny and can rap pretty damn well. I'm not hugely into him by any stretch, but every now and again he will throw out a track that connects with me. I think he's at his best when he's doing emotional heartfelt songs like Stan or Spacebound OR when he's at his absolute angriest and most fuckin hateful with songs like Go To Sleep (which I'm not sure he even has in him anymore but I have no frame of reference to say that since I haven't listened to much of his new stuff). But to me Space Bound still proves he can put out some very decent pop music that isn't silly or cliched or irrelevant like some of his other singles these days which are just lamer rehashes of stuff he has done before. I will give the new album a couple spins and see what's up for sure, although I'm definitely not crazy about either track thus far.

And of course, I still love his scene in this film... so he'll always have that;

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    1. He can't top The Eminem Show no matter what.
    2. An army of asshole teenage Eminem fans fucking ruined my NIN show this year (well, at least the last three songs).

That's all I've got to say.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    1. He can't top The Eminem Show no matter what.
    2. An army of asshole teenage Eminem fans fucking ruined my NIN show this year (well, at least the last three songs).

That's all I've got to say.
    I still think Marshall Mathers LP is his crowning achievement. Which is why he's biting the name for his new LP. I feel like he's only setting himself up for disappointment by doing that.

But how did Eminem fans ruin your NIN experience?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Anyone care for Bad Meets Evil's EP? I never gave it a listen.
    Some might disagree, but aside from his verse in Drake's "Forever," the Bad Meets Evil EP is his best work since 'The Eminem Show.' His flows for 90% of it are untouchable.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I dont want to say it BUT Rap God is pretty amazing.

His technical ability is un matched.

He destroys everything on that song.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Nah, Marshall doesn't Mathers anymore. The lyrical content is pretty laughable.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Eminem is currently making his best music. If it's anything like recovery then it will be amazing. The new song rap god is so good .

Procane- sounds like you are another indie kid who never understood Eminem .

p
    Last edited by Rdm; 10-22-2013 at 05:50 PM.