Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Eminem - The Slim Shady Thread

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    SNL was awful. WTF is Rick Rubin doing on stage? And the lip syncing was awful.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadbent View Post
    SNL was awful. WTF is Rick Rubin doing on stage? And the lip syncing was awful.
    I missed it but after watching the videos, Em was pretty bad.
    Last edited by Charmingly Miserable; 11-03-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadbent View Post
    WTF is Rick Rubin doing on stage?
    Being useless, which is right in his comfort zone these days.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I've heard everything about this album and haven't yet bothered to listen. Recovery was very, very average and I really loved Relapse (don't know why people hate it, it has so much personality). If it's better than Recovery, I might like it somewhat. I'm keeping it in the realm of modern times for my like or distaste, since the huge gap between Encore (lousy) and Relapse is really wide.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 11-03-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    can i just say i LOVE it when Em goes into beast mode on say, No Love.
    I ESPECIALLY love how hard he goes on Forever with Drake, and i have i theory that he's actually talking shit about the other three rappers....

i love em...but that berzerk thing. Good god, it was awful

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    can i just say i LOVE it when Em goes into beast mode on say, No Love.
    No Love would be an amazing track if Lil Wayne hadn't gone anywhere near it. I've chopped his verse out on my version, which is a great improvement but sadly leaves it as half a song.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I'm really digging 'Headlights' (w/Nate Ruess). Pretty damn powerful song IMHO.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    OK. I listened to it. My impression is that this album is much better than Recovery (had some strong material, but tons of songs with passionate rap with no substance), which I consider to be the second-worst Eminem album (1st place: Encore). So I think this one is enjoyable as a full album listening experience. This isn't greatness, but it's goodness and it's fun enough.

Second listen: the first half of the album is incredible, like in some ways some of his best. I need to spend more time with the second half, as it seems more hit and miss.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 11-06-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    ^^^^ Agreed cashpiles. Definitely not his best like the first few albums, and definitely not the turds that are Encore through the previous album.

Considering I had low expectations of it because of the above, I'm pleasantly surprised. I honestly think any artist/band/musician has so much creativity in them anyways before things go down hill or stale- something's that's probably even harder to do in the rap/hip-hop genre.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Eminem - The Slim Shady Thread

I like it we'll enough, kinda seems like a good melding if his older style with his last album. Still only listened to it a couple times but I'm digging what I'm hearing so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The whole gay bashing fuzz is also kinda needless, though. I mean, he's been saying it for ages it's a part of Slim Shady persona. Get over it.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredy_Brown View Post
    The whole gay bashing fuzz is also kinda needless, though. I mean, he's been saying it for ages it's a part of Slim Shady persona. Get over it.
    This isn't really supposed to be an insult to this community because I love ETS, but this board has the most hyper PC memberbase of any community I have ever seen in my life. It approaches hilarity at times, I didn't even know ageist was a thing until I came here.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    wait, weren't you the one who complained about NSFW cover art in the what are you listening to thread, though?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    and no, misogyny and gay bashing is pretty inexcusable as far as posting is concerned. if an artist's lyrics are racist/sexist/ageist (for real or for satire), it's your own choice as to whether or not you want to support that.

none of this is really "PC" so much as it is "being a decent human being."

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    wait, weren't you the one who complained about NSFW cover art in the what are you listening to thread, though?
    Thats not complaining about something not being PC, thats me not wanting tits on my computer screen at work and trying to explain it. Big difference between getting butthurt for not being warned about nudity and being butthurt over someone saying backup singers were "shoo wopping".

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I've heard everything about this album and haven't yet bothered to listen. Recovery was very, very average and I really loved Relapse (don't know why people hate it, it has so much personality). If it's better than Recovery
    GOD FUCKING THANK YOU!

I think Relapse is fucking excellent and I love that it just doesn't sound like a mainstream album. Idk, the textures are insane, the lyrics are insane and sound like someone actually trying to express their angst in a real way. I love that album man. I'm also way more into when he does real satire.
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 11-08-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemonkey613 View Post
    GOD FUCKING THANK YOU!

I think Relapse is fucking excellent and I love that it just doesn't sound like a mainstream album. Idk, the textures are insane, the lyrics are insane and sound like someone actually trying to express their angst in a real way. I love that album man. I'm also way more into when he does real satire.
    Ditto, the accent everyone hated is what gave it its charm, I thought. There's a lot of great tracks too (Bagpipes from Baghdad, My Mom, 3am and Beautiful to name a few) and an amusing, yet serious demeanor to the album. Oh well, different strokes.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Ditto, the accent everyone hated is what gave it its charm, I thought. There's a lot of great tracks too (Bagpipes from Baghdad, My Mom, 3am and Beautiful to name a few) and an amusing, yet serious demeanor to the album. Oh well, different strokes.
    Hell yes. My favorite tracks on it were Stay Wide Awake, Insane (mostly because it reminds me of Criminal which is one of my favorite Eminem tracks ever) and Underground. He's so good at comical horror and visceral, horrible descriptions. That shit juxtaposed with his playful tone is just choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Let's face it: if critics put so much scrutiny into other reviews as they to into MMLP2...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Eminem - The Slim Shady Thread

With the exception of a syrupy track or two this is a fucking solid album IMO.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Finally got around to really digest Eminem's new album and as expected, as a minority, it's great. The song "headlights" will be another huge, I bet my life, hit for him. I just dont understand why younger kids praise kanye and put down eminem. Eminem is almost getting better as a lyricist. two solid albums in a row, congrates
    Last edited by Rdm; 12-09-2013 at 12:42 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Don't know why but Survival is really resonating with me lately when I think of current EM works. I've yet to listen to MMLP2.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 12-09-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    It seems like it was just yesterday a new Eminem album dropped, and now he's already back with new music. Gotta admit, I like it when artists work fast like this, but I hope the quick turn around time between records doesn't mean it won't be very solid material.

New "compilation" album to drop later this month. 2 Discs. first disc has new tunes and the second is a collection of classic tracks. Seems like it's a collaboration album with a few other artists called "Shady XV"

details here:
    http://www.fuse.tv/2014/08/eminem-new-album-shady-xv

First song from the record:

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Liking the new song right there. I haven't really given anything Eminem has done since The Eminem Show a good listen, and his last album seemed to be him getting more in touch with his roots so I enjoyed it. I don't really enjoy it when an artist comes out with new material really quickly within a year or a bit over a year. I think the material should give some time to sink in because that is when other tracks or even the feel of that album get forgotten or lost in the mix... unless the previous album just sucked hard.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Eminem did have a ridiculously frequent release rate back in his prime, too.

Speaking of which, my opinion, The Eminem Show represents his best work - anyone else in the same camp?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Eminem did have a ridiculously frequent release rate back in his prime, too.

Speaking of which, my opinion, The Eminem Show represents his best work - anyone else in the same camp?
    I would have to say The Marshall Mathers LP is my favorite. It's very dark, very personal, and the emotional weight throughout every track resonates even to this day. The Eminem Show is a very good album. In my opinion, it's a step down from MMLP, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10, and it's overrall a damn good record, but when compared to how near perfect the previous album was, it simply doesn't reach the same heights.

Haven't really enjoyed any Eminem albums since The Eminem Show. Encore was meh, I couldn't get into Relapse, Recovery felt more fresh but I listened to it three times and was done, and The Marshall Mathers LP 2 felt like a forced attempt to capture the feel of the glory days, ultimately falling flat and being a disappointment considering all the positive reviews and hype surrounding the release.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    MMLP does maintain a consistently high level of quality through nearly all of its tracks, but it's so nasty and brutal that it can make for difficult listening - I have to be in the right mood. The Eminem Show has every bit of the emotional depth in my opinion, almost matches it for wit, and has a bit more variety. It's also totally unique, nobody else will ever make an album like that.

What I don't like about Eminem's more recent material is that it seems he's just trying to rap as quickly as possible; back in the day he'd take his time, making the lyrics memorable (plus, they tended to be more clever). I prefer the dirtier, simpler, more hooky Dre-esque production style of the older songs, too. Recovery wasn't bad though.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    https://goo.gl/images/XfvWmkHis new logo looks familiar...
    Last edited by NotinCnStopMeNow; 08-29-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotinCnStopMeNow View Post
    His new logo looks familiar...
    Stealing The Riddler's logo?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Eminem is the only rap artist I listen to.