Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34
Results 991 to 1,008 of 1008

Thread: Random Celebrity Headlines

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just forget it. I'm deleting my posts because I'm tired of talking about it, and if my tone changed to anger towards the end of it, I'm sorry, but I don't appreciate being told I shouldn't breed just because I see something in a different light. What does my opinion matter to any of you anyway? I'm just a guy on the internet, discussing this. I'm not a lawyer.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I'm not entirely 100% sure on that, but when my dad committed battery against me, a female officer told me I could have defended myself from him. Every time I try to find information about Battery, all I find is definitions and differences between assault.
    "Defending yourself" does not necessarily mean assault. It could mean a similar battery as the one used against you. It depends on the laws of each state (e.g. "stand your ground" laws in certain states allowing you to shoot somebody and use deadly force if they assault you, which isn't the law in all states). And police officers aren't necessarily experts in advising you to commit crimes, just an FYI.

See this, the doctrine of self-defense:

The defenses available in assault and battery cases can vary widely depending on the facts and circumstances, mainly because such cases can range from the straight-forward to the extremely complex. However, operating under the assumption that the basic elements of an assault / battery exist in a case (i.e. it is not a case of mistaken identity or some other fundamental error), the following are some possible defenses to assault and battery charges along with a few helpful examples.

Self-defense

Self-defense is probably the most common defense used in assault and battery cases. In order to establish self-defense, an accused must generally show:

* a threat of unlawful force or harm against them;
    * a real, honest perceived fear of harm to themselves (there must be a reasonable basis for this perceived fear);
    * no harm or provocation on their part; and
    * there was no reasonable chance of retreating or escaping the situation.

Example A: Adam is confronted by Bill, a large, imposing stranger, who immediately begins shouting threats at him and lunging at him with fists raised in a highly threatening manner. Adam is terrified, strikes Bill, and gets away through the nearest exit at his first available opportunity. Adam may be able to successfully argue that he acted only in self-defense under such circumstances.

Example B: Adam runs into Bill and gets into an argument. Bill insults and belittles Adam, at which point Adam insults Bill and threatens to beat him up. Bill then strikes Adam, and Adam retaliates in kind. It would be more difficult for Adam to establish self-defense under these circumstances than those in Example A, because Adam took part in escalating and provoking the fight by threatening Bill.

The doctrine of self-defense has a number of limitations in addition to those outlined above. Simply because someone acts in self-defense does not mean that all bets are off as far as the amount of force that can be used to defend one's self. The force used in self-defense must be reasonable when compared to the threat posed by the victim. Also, even if all the elements outlined above are met, an individual defending themself may still be found guilty of assault/battery if the victim was physically no match for them in the first place (this could be due to size, age, etc.).
    Last edited by allegro; 02-19-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    There's really never a good reason to defend Afroman, but especially when he's punching drunk women in the face.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Breaking news: Harrison Ford seriously injured in plane crash:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-crash-n318301

Last edited by Hazekiah; 03-05-2015 at 06:13 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Breaking news: Harrison Ford seriously injured in plane crash:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-crash-n318301

Gee whiz, glad he's OK from what the article says.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ChefBenFo...49772583591937

At the hospital. Dad is ok. Battered, but ok! He is every bit the man you would think he is. He is an incredibly strong man.
    7:02pm - 5 Mar 15
    Last edited by Hazekiah; 03-05-2015 at 09:43 PM.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Of course he is! He's HARRISON FUCKING FORD!!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Of course he is! He's HARRISON FUCKING FORD!!
    Exactly. He's Han Solo. Indiana fuckin' Jones. It's going to take an army to kill him. Maybe 5 at least.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Exactly. He's Han Solo. Indiana fuckin' Jones. It's going to take an army to kill him. Maybe 5 at least.
    He's RICK DECKARD!!!! HE CAN'T DIE! (yet)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    He's RICK DECKARD!!!! HE CAN'T DIE! (yet)
    He's also the President of the United States who kills Russians for a living and he's also Jack Ryan, CIA motherfucker.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    You know, when he finally really does die, we're gonna get drunk and cry for weeks, you realize that, don't you?

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    You know, when he finally really does die, we're gonna get drunk and cry for weeks, you realize that, don't you?
    Well, he can't die now because I'm still not over Leonard Nimoy's death.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I think it'll be awhile before he dies (that is, if he retires from flying).

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Well, he can't die now because I'm still not over Leonard Nimoy's death.
    I wasn't a big Spock fan but I'm gonna need the Betty Ford Clinic when Jean Luc Picard dies.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I think it'll be awhile before he dies (that is, if he retires from flying).
    He's pretty old, isn't he?

Edit: he's 72
    Last edited by allegro; 03-05-2015 at 10:20 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yeah but he keeps himself in good shape and seems not to have done any hard living despite living in California in the 1970's.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Yeah but he keeps himself in good shape and seems not to have done any hard living despite living in California in the 1970's.
    Because he's HARRISON FUCKING FORD.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Harrison Toyota