Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 1696

Thread: Random Celebrity Headlines

  1. #1651
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    6,434
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I remember the time he insulted David Bowie a long time ago after opening for Bowie in late '95/early '96 or something and said Bowie was more about business than music (not exactly true) and shit. If I ever come across Morrissey, I'd like to kick him in the nuts and say "that's for Bowie you wanker".

  2. #1652
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    5,220
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    It looks like the Kanye West robot is malfunctioning again. It's tweeting pro trump messages.
    I think the need to come get it and take it to the "hospital" and reprogram it.

  3. #1653
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    5,975
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

  4. #1654
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,828
    Mentioned
    755 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Oh, no. :-(

  5. #1655
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    san fransisco
    Posts
    1,124
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

  6. #1656
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    5,975
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Fuckssakes...I'll post it in the thread I really didn't want to...

  7. #1657
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    5,975
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

  8. #1658
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    san fransisco
    Posts
    1,124
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    i would find his deposition hilarious, not to cast judgement in any direction but, i can't do impressions but, the young black man is Hollywood, seeks the white pussy and will attempt to get it by what ever means.
    -Louie

  9. #1659
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    5,220
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Ok.
    With this one, at this point, I think he might have trouble reading social cues or something; as in, he maybe thought he was flirting with these women.
    Obviously, admittedly, I REALLY don't want to accept this. I generally don't give these people the benefit of the doubt. (But I'm giving it to Freeman.) And I may well be wrong.

    This one's gonna be interesting. I don't think I'm going to be the only one who is crying "does not compute" on this one.

    The only person who I think is more unimpeachable than Freeman is Tom Hanks.

    My prediction? True or not, for better or worse, people aren't gonna buy this or at least will downplay it.
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-24-2018 at 03:22 PM.

  10. #1660
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,885
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    If Hanks goes down, Hollywood truly is a rotten place to the core and there's no hope for them or anyone period.

  11. #1661
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,636
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Ok.
    With this one, at this point, I think he might have trouble reading social cues or something; as in, he maybe thought he was flirting with these women.
    Iím sure he was. Unwanted and/or persistent flirting in a workplace is literal sexual harassment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_harassment

  12. #1662
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    5,220
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    I’m sure he was. Unwanted and/or persistent flirting in a workplace is literal sexual harassment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_harassment
    Quite naturally!
    I'm sorry for the lack of clarity; pardon me.
    I guess what I mean is more like that he thought they were BOTH flirting, or at least that his advances weren't unwanted.

    This is what I mean by "trouble reading social cues."
    I don't think there was anything sinister behind it
    I would guess that the man is currently thinking "OH SHIT! I TOTALLY misread those situations! I'm so embarrassed!" vs. "Oh fuck, those dumb bitches told on me."

    Of course @playwithfire : I hope you understand what I meant now, but keep in mind- I said these things with a LOT of caveats. I DAMN sure could be TOTALLY wrong; I realize that.

    BUT:
    This is crossing into rough territory for me.
    I see Freeman as a shining paragon of what it means to be a good human being and he's the first of the accused in that ballpark for me. He's up there with Tom Hanks, Nelson Mandela, Obama, and Saint Paul (seriously.)

  13. #1663
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    5,975
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Agreed. He's one of those 'surely his name will never get called'. See also: Clooney, Denzel, Tom Hanks...

  14. #1664
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,636
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I mean, I don't think this makes it okay but like... "winning women over" is totally, at least historically, a reinforced dynamic when it comes to flirting. It's gross and shitty, but like, Mad Men, etc, yeah? Freeman is 80. I don't know how much he cares if the other women were "interested" but what I would posit is that he likely thought his behavior was fine, especially given mentions in the article of him getting all weird when he was asked to stop. Just some gross "good old boy" shit.

    And like, I think this is a great example of why this shit all exists on a spectrum. Freeman is not Weinstein. He still deserves to be called out. It's a different kind of bad.

    The few remaining folks who would really hurt for me are Hanks, James Gunn, Bourdain, Trent, Rollins, I think.

  15. #1665
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    5,220
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    I mean, I don't think this makes it okay but like... "winning women over" is totally, at least historically, a reinforced dynamic when it comes to flirting. It's gross and shitty, but like, Mad Men, etc, yeah? Freeman is 80. I don't know how much he cares if the other women were "interested" but what I would posit is that he likely thought his behavior was fine, especially given mentions in the article of him getting all weird when he was asked to stop. Just some gross "good old boy" shit.

    And like, I think this is a great example of why this shit all exists on a spectrum. Freeman is not Weinstein. He still deserves to be called out. It's a different kind of bad.
    Good points here.
    I think you're probably absolutely spot on.


    As for me, I'm terrified of David Lynch being accused. He often seems a little overly affectionate with his actresses. But at the same time, they seem to ADORE him and often work with him repeatedly.
    Still, I've worried about him being accused.
    Trent: dear god, no, that can't happen. That would create a fucking existential crisis for me.

    And Hanks: dear god, is there ANYONE who doesn't like him?
    Him turning out to be some sort of predator would take away all of my remaining faith in humanity.

    Hell, this Morgan Freeman business is bad enough.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-06-2018 at 04:19 PM.

  16. #1666
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    2,703
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    I mean, I don't think this makes it okay but like... "winning women over" is totally, at least historically, a reinforced dynamic when it comes to flirting. It's gross and shitty, but like, Mad Men, etc, yeah? Freeman is 80. I don't know how much he cares if the other women were "interested" but what I would posit is that he likely thought his behavior was fine, especially given mentions in the article of him getting all weird when he was asked to stop. Just some gross "good old boy" shit.
    The problem with rationalizing it this way is that many, many, many people STILL teach the lesson of "if at first you don't succeed, just keep trying even harder to win someone over" instead of "if at first you don't succeed, respect that decision and move on with your life". So reducing it to being less of a problem because that's the climate he grew up in means reducing it for pretty much everyone who engages in that behavior, regardless of age. Just go see a new movie or watch a current sitcom. "Keep trying" is still the predominant mantra told to men when they get turned down. Until that changes on a massive cultural level - which I think will take decades, sadly - using that as an excuse to be disrespectful to people just doesn't work.

  17. #1667
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    2,703
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    And Hanks: dear god, is there ANYONE who doesn't like him?.
    A colleague walked by today and mentioned the Freeman thing. When I said "who's next, Tom Hanks?" he just said "yeah, but I wouldn't mind".

    I stared at him.

    He just looked at me and said "what? Fuck Tom Hanks."

    I'm usually anti-death penalty, but that kid needs the chair.

  18. #1668
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,636
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    The problem with rationalizing it this way is that many, many, many people STILL teach the lesson of "if at first you don't succeed, just keep trying even harder to win someone over" instead of "if at first you don't succeed, respect that decision and move on with your life". So reducing it to being less of a problem because that's the climate he grew up in means reducing it for pretty much everyone who engages in that behavior, regardless of age. Just go see a new movie or watch a current sitcom. "Keep trying" is still the predominant mantra told to men when they get turned down. Until that changes on a massive cultural level - which I think will take decades, sadly - using that as an excuse to be disrespectful to people just doesn't work.
    Oh, I'm absolutely not rationalizing it or saying it's "less of a problem." Just because something is explainable doesn't mean it's excusable, but it's absolutely a datapoint. In fact, I'd say that a continuous problematic part of discussions around this is that people frame this behavior as surprising or "acting out" when the fact is that culturally, this behavior is supported and systemic. Societally, while we're certainly evolving, this shit is normalized and men get tons of messaging that supports this kind of behavior and that absolutely was even more extreme years ago (see the slow push to outlaw marital rape, etc.).

    To frame men being guilty of harassment and an abuser as "wow, didn't see this coming" is dismissing how commonplace and pathological these sets of behaviors are. Similarly, it's important to allow for a spectrum when it comes to how we deal with this shit because otherwise, we can't effectively reckon with how this shit happens and how we change, if the ruler by which we measure only allows for the most extreme of violations. That shit allows us to distance ourselves from the fact that we're all so often complicit in how fucked these dynamics are, and the need for thorough changes in how we relate to this.

    Elevenism insinuated that he hoped Freeman may have meant well or thought his behavior was reciprocal (correct me if I interpreted that wrong, elevenism), to which I'd say, I'm sure that's possible. That's not *rationalizing it* any more than it's rationalizing the way white people in the south thought it was normal and okay to have black household servants. Positive intent can still be incredibly harmful, and is often cemented in systemic oppression.

    I'm surprised, given my post history and the fact that we occupy enough threads together, that you interpreted my post that way.

  19. #1669
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,776
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Good points here.
    I think you're probably absolutely spot on.


    As for me, I'm terrified of David Lynch being accused. He often seems a little overly affectionate with his actresses. But at the same time, they seem to ADORE him and often work with him repeatedly.
    Still, I've worried about him being accused.
    Trent: dear god, no, that can't happen. That would create a fucking existential crisis for me.

    And Hanks: dear god, is there ANYONE who doesn't like him?
    Him turning out to be some sort of predator would take away all of my remaining faith in humanity.

    Hell, this Morgan Freeman business is bade enough.
    The whole business with Pete Townshend 15 years ago toughened me up to the fact that my heroes are as vulnerable to being pulled down in the shit (whether it's deserved or not) as anyone else. He was ultimately proven innocent of anything beyond the very stupid mistake of giving his bank information to the rotten people he had hoped to take down himself.

  20. #1670
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    5,220
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    The whole business with Pete Townshend 15 years ago toughened me up to the fact that my heroes are as vulnerable to being pulled down in the shit (whether it's deserved or not) as anyone else. He was ultimately proven innocent of anything beyond the very stupid mistake of giving his bank information to the rotten people he had hoped to take down himself.
    Yeah I hear that.
    I kind of try to separate the artist from the work as a rule.
    I went to see type o negative when I was like 16 or 17 and they kept trying to get my girlfriend and her friend backstage, without me of course.
    Of course, the band may not have known they were underage, but I have a feeling that they wouldn't have cared.

  21. #1671
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,636
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Sleeping with underage women was once suuuuuper normalized to a degree that we don't acknowledge now, I think. Like, people got so mad that Bowie slept with an underage groupie (and let's be real, there were definitely multiple instances of shit like that) but they dismiss that... so did Iggy Pop, so did lots of people. Is it okay? Fuck no. Was it considered socially acceptable to a greater degree then, than it is now? Yes.

  22. #1672
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    5,975
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

  23. #1673
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I remember reading about what was essentially a coup over Lee's estate, that his caring longterm assistant/right hand guy was canned and the person now running his day-to-day life doesn't have his interests at heart.

  24. #1674
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    367
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you're a nearly a century old and start losing your faculties, there are people willing to step in and take advantage. It's nothing new, but sad to see for someone as brilliant and imaginative as Stan Lee.

  25. #1675
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    8,216
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

  26. #1676
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,020
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Jesus. Anyone know anything about this Sam Lutfi guy?

  27. #1677
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,314
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Jesus. Anyone know anything about this Sam Lutfi guy?
    A little gossip, a little chat...

    He's a leech. Apparently preys on "unstable" women: Britney Spears, Amanda Bynes, and this.

  28. #1678
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    5,975
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    And it continues... he's now filed a restraining order against his business manager.

  29. #1679
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Poor Kurt is rolling in his grave

  30. #1680
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    1,970
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Add Chris Hardwick to the list. This is painful.

    https://medium.com/@skydart/rose-col...s-6be0594970ca

Posting Permissions