Page 39 of 67 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 2006

Thread: Random Celebrity Headlines

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    OMFG, ikr?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    Here is a bear taking a swim in in the middle of July in 2014, hey it was hot and he needed to take a swim.

http://ktla.com/2014/06/24/bear-cool...dre-foothills/
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Yeah, parents. Why don't we have a license for that?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/30/asia/j...ods/index.html

Don't they know the "I'm going to pull over" is supposed to be an empty threat?
    Pretty sure we're just kinda posting whatever-the-fuck in here now.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Why is this discussion in Random Celebrity Headlines? Was the gorilla famous? (serious question)
    Yeah, he was 17 years old, at the Cincinnati Zoo, fathered a few silverback gorilla babies, endangered species. His bday was the day before he was killed.

He was something of a celebrity before, BUT HE SURE AS SHIT IS NOW!!

He was known as "one of the Kardashians."

edit:

here's the video:

Last edited by allegro; 05-31-2016 at 10:47 PM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    He was known as "one of the Kardashians."
    If only that kid had fell in a Kardashian pen...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    If only that kid had fell in a Kardashian pen...

LOL, jk.

And seeing the video now...yeah, he was being pretty fucking rough with the kid he was "protecting."

But still. Talk about ASKING FOR IT.

Fuck that retarded kid and his absentee mom, too.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Look, having had a half brother that was pretty much like that little kid, it isn't really the KID'S fault, honestly.

And the first thing I thought when I saw that kid stuck in that gorilla pen is "oh, crap, that totally coulda been my little half brother."

Ultimately, though, it's the ZOO'S fault for it being even POSSIBLE. And yet nobody is blaming the damned zoo. Some kids are just, well, KIDS and they're little devils. And the zoo has to plan for that kind of shit and PROTECT THE ANIMALS.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-19-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Actually MSNBC just did a story about the gorilla/zoo incident and Ari I can't remember his last name, the legal analyst did just that blamed the zoo for the incident.

Oh and your half brother Damian, sounds like a fun guy, does he play an instrument cause I'm looking for band members and having the son of Satan in the band would definitely up my street cred.
    My half brother was/is very smart but did terribly in school and was diagnosed as ADHD at around 8 and was stuck in a trailer with the "emotionally disabled" kids for years and dropped out at 16. Hopefully somebody will wake this mother up that something is not normal.

And, yes, the zoo is totally liable.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    My half brother was/is very smart but did terribly in school and was diagnosed as ADHD at around 8 and was stuck in a trailer with the "emotionally disabled" kids for years and dropped out at 16. Hopefully somebody will wake this mother up that something is not normal.

And, yes, the zoo is totally liable.
    Zoo is liable for what? If the parents don't press charges, that's the end of the story.
    Who suffered a damage here? The gorilla's estate?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Zoo is liable for what?
    To fix the situation and protect their animals and the public.

Liable also means "potential liabilities."

The kid suffered a concussion. He has medical damages. The parents could actually sue. You never know. The mother could be guilty of "contributory negligence" but not NEARLY as much as the zoo.

Also, "liable for the gorilla's death." As by definition, not be potential damages.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-31-2016 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    To fix the situation and protect their animals and the public.

Liable also means "potential liabilities."

The kid suffered a concussion. He has medical damages. The parents could actually sue. You never know. The mother could be guilty of "contributory negligence" but not NEARLY as much as the zoo.

Also, "liable for the gorilla's death." As by definition, not be potential damages.
    I completely agree that they are liable for the gorilla's death. A kid should not be able to fall down a gorilla's pit. I guess what I meant to say is that there's no damage as a result of this liability.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    The gorilla is the celebrity. Let's be clear. It's all fucked up. Unless we want to go back to magilla gorilla at the Central Park zoo looking like his home is a jail cell the zoos, the humans, have to figure some thing out.
    Last edited by Dra508; 06-02-2016 at 09:06 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    The gorilla is the celebrity. Let's be clear. It's all fucked up. Unless we want to go back to magilla gorilla at the Central Park zoo looking like his home is a jail cell the zoos, the humans, have to figure some thing out.
    I don't think they need jail cells but the same "natural" enclosures that exist, now, can be surrounded by 10-foot plexi walls that securely connect to the ground while still providing an adequate "natural" environment for the animal and allowing zoo visitors to safely and fully observe from a distance.

If a "nut" wants to go to great lengths to get in and breach security, then it's the nut's fault; the zoo has performed its obligatory diligence.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-31-2016 at 10:43 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Charges against boy's mother at Cleveland Zoo are being considered. Kid climbed 3-foot fence to gain entry to gorilla compound. Boy is actually 3, not 4.

If police suspect possible neglect, authorities said they are required by law to report it to the county child protection agency where the family lives.
    Witnesses told police that the boy climbed over a 3-foot-tall fence and went through bushes that separate visitors from the moat. The boy fell down into the shallow water, about 15 feet below, according to a police report.

The boy then “proceeded to play in the water,” the report says.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-01-2016 at 11:31 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The special educator who submitted the name "Harambe" for the baby gorilla explains what the name means and what can be learned from his death. It's a beautiful, well thought of tribute about hope and is worth reading.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/31/opinio...lle/index.html

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    The special educator who submitted the name "Harambe" for the baby gorilla explains what the name means and what can be learned from his death. It's a beautiful, well thought of tribute about hope and is worth reading.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/31/opinio...lle/index.html
    If Harambe's message can reach even more people over the coming weeks and months, then perhaps more can be done to ensure that one day, we won't have to resort to raising these great creatures in captivity to help ensure the species' survival.
    Amen to that!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    While sanctuaries are often preferable, I've been to a SHADY AS HELL "sanctuary" before. Like "no photos allowed" because they didn't want people to show others what kind of conditions the animals lived in.
    Zoos play 2 important roles for endangered species. One is of course helping sustain SOME sort of population for them. There are animals who unfortunately ONLY live in zoos now, because humans suck. But zoos also serve as something to get people's attention and care for animals, to pull in children and make them passionate about wildlife and habitat preservation, to bring people with income to the cause of helping these animals.
    Zoos are very important, as terrible as the idea of putting wild animals in cages is, there are benefits to their existence. I would love for there not to be a need for them, so all animals could live in their natural habitat.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    While sanctuaries are often preferable, I've been to a SHADY AS HELL "sanctuary" before. Like "no photos allowed" because they didn't want people to show others what kind of conditions the animals lived in.
    Zoos play 2 important roles for endangered species. One is of course helping sustain SOME sort of population for them. There are animals who unfortunately ONLY live in zoos now, because humans suck. But zoos also serve as something to get people's attention and care for animals, to pull in children and make them passionate about wildlife and habitat preservation, to bring people with income to the cause of helping these animals.
    Zoos are very important, as terrible as the idea of putting wild animals in cages is, there are benefits to their existence. I would love for there not to be a need for them, so all animals could live in their natural habitat.
    I used to think this way about zoos, too, until my animal activist friends (including one who was a docent at the National Zoo) schooled me on the subject and I found out that things aren't really as they seem. See this.

See the Born Free USA Press Release re Harambe.

And, yes, just because it says "sanctuary" doesn't mean it really IS one (warning).
    Last edited by allegro; 06-02-2016 at 12:56 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:57 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    So if sanctuary's and zoo's are no good, what can be done for the safety of these animals?
    The biggest purchaser of ivory is China. China has really ramped up its ban on ivory and is enforcing it, particularly after Chinese activists started a Just Say No to Ivory campaign that has become REALLY popular in China. If nobody is BUYING ivory, then the reason to kill for ivory will stop.

Also, see: The Duke of Cambridge has unveiled plans to help the global transport industry crack down on illegal wildlife trafficking routes.

"We have faced up to the fact that if current trends continue, the last wild African elephants and rhinos will be killed before my daughter Charlotte reaches her 25th birthday," he said.

"Everyone agrees that losing these animals from the wild would be a disaster for humanity. This means that halting this crisis is only a test of our will. The question is: can we be bothered to do our bit?

"By signing this declaration, you, the leaders of some of the most important transportation companies and agencies on earth are answering with an emphatic, 'yes'."

He warned that if the crisis was not turned around within the next five years, the battle would be lost forever.
    See also this.

Piano keys have not been made of ivory in a very long time. Even Steinway keys are made from white plastic. See number 60.

Here is a great article in Scientific American re Harambe

Captive breeding by zoos to produce individuals who are going to live out their lives in cages, in the name of entertainment and possibly in the name of education and conservation, raises many challenging questions. Did people who saw Harambe learn anything about what the life of a male western lowland gorilla is really like? No, they didn’t. Did they learn something about these fascinating animals that would help Harambe or his wild relatives? Clearly, nothing learned would help Harambe as he was forced to live in his cage; a large enclosure is still a cage. Harambe was not going to be put out in the wild and introduced to other gorillas.

Did people learn something about these gorillas that would help wild relatives? Once again, likely not. While some might argue that learning about Harambe is good for conserving his species, and while many of us know someone who went to a zoo and said they learned something new about a given species, there’s no hard evidence that these people then go on to do something for the good of the species. Indeed, a recent study conducted by zoos themselves, showed that what people learn is very limited in scope in terms of what the new knowledge means in any practical sense. While a very small percentage of people learn that maintaining biodiversity is important, they don’t learn about the need for biodiversity conservation.

I'm a female; here is the meaning behind my login.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-02-2016 at 02:30 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Smile

and there are piano manufactures that will do anything if you are willing to pay for it obviously they do not want the general public to know about it, for obvious reasons.
    That is not the major source of ivory that is behind the poaching, especially considering that it is extremely illegal in this country and no reputable manufacturer would be willing to commit a Federal crime and going to Federal prison for any amount of money unless they are really stupid.

Doesn't matter if I'm a boy or a girl, right? 8-)

Again, I cite this article suggesting that funds be directed to wildlife armed security to protect the natural wildlife areas.

Raising funds for parks like Virunga for the installation of electric fences, more armed security guards, trained bloodhound teams, etc., helps to keep the native lowland gorillas safely in their own homes.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-02-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I am sure the authorities are going after some type(s) of "Dr. Feelgood" (like Elvis' Dr. Nick, or Dr. Conrad Murray for Michael Jackson) who was supplying way too many drugs, enabling the use of pain killers to spiral into a full-blown addiction

Link to news of Report.

He "self-administered" Fentanyl.

"It's 25 to 50 times more potent than heroin and 50 to 100 times more potent than morphine, according to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration."

It's usually given to cancer patients for extreme pain.

"The music superstar weighed 112 pounds and was 63 inches tall when he died."
    Last edited by allegro; 06-02-2016 at 04:48 PM.