Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 1615

Thread: Random Celebrity Headlines

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    But I think what @Volband was talking about was that specific Twitter link to a famous guy and @Volband said said that guy is playing “White Knight” to the world of (anonymous to him) women and that seemed disingenuous, and I saw what he meant. @Volband has been supportive here in his attitudes, as you have, but we are a kind of anonymous “family,” here, and it’s really great having your support. But I think @Volband had a valid point about bewaring or wondering about the Twitter White Knights, people on Twitter aren’t always very genuine.

Social Media can be a great platform, it can be a creepy platform, and even scary. This is a message forum, and that type of online media way predates Social Media.
    What you are describing basically relies on communication feedback pathways. There is a lot of truth, but also i think something missed as it relates to @theimage13's concerns.

Firstly, yes... social media is mostly a one-way communication pathway compared to something like ETS. But it's largely due to scale. The audience is huge. This is symptomatic of so much power these days though. ex: Do you have conversations with your politicians or do you consume what they provide? All of these one-way environments hinge on gaining power by telling people what they want to hear. From celebs to politicians. This is the natural state of most people, it feels good to be told what you want.

What is missed are the smaller two-way pathways. Be it a forum like ETS, or something intimate like a date. People will still "virtue signal" for social acceptance, power, or whatever motive they have. This is what @theimage13 seems concerned about. Whatever is genuine today will be picked up and used by manipulators for tomorrow. The "posers" have always existed, and they have always tarnished what they steal. "feminist" is a fashionable label for assholes, just as "libertarian" is a fashionable label for republicans.

This is a huge reason I find much more genuine response in people when they are in disagreement, debate, and even argument. That's when more truth tends to come out.
    Circle jerks are about as genuine as fucking water cooler talk at work. But disagreement makes people uncomfortable and they tend to lose their shit and fall prey to false dichotomy.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    I'm not even that much of a fan of Louis CK but...
    I'm confused about why you hyperlinked the word "fan" to a picture of an actual table fan from the home depot site. Seems like an odd thing to do.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    For what seems to be the 2nd or 3rd time...physically blocking the door so people can't exit sort of negates being able to leave 'at any point', no?
    I apologize as this is probably a reading issue on my end, but when I read the articles, I missed the part where they said that he blocked doors.

Can you please cite the source for this part of the accusations?

Thank you.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    If some dude in a non-intimate situation whipped out his dick (or said to me hey baby I’m gonna whip out my dick and THEN DID), I think I’d have a damned heart attack.

The idea that I could just “leave” doesn’t UNDO WHAT I JUST SAW, I’d have to STAB OUT MY OWN EYEBALLS but it’d be in my head forever, UGH.

Some people seem to think the women grabbed a chair and a snack to sit and watch Louis CK jack off, then held up a sign like on the Olympics, “6.5”

Fuck if he blocked the door or not, or if they only saw this shit for 3 seconds before running out of the room - what part of any of this shit is okay or not really that bad??

HE WHIPPED OUT HIS DICK AND MASTURBATED IN FRONT OF PEOPLE IN NON-INTIMATE SITUATIONS, IN FRONT OF CO-WORKERS / PEERS.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-10-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    I apologize as this is probably a reading issue on my end, but when I read the articles, I missed the part where they said that he blocked doors.

Can you please cite the source for this part of the accusations?

Thank you.
    From the Gawker article about the incident in Aspen.

At the Aspen Comedy Festival a few years ago, he invited a female comedy duo back to his hotel room. The two ladies gladly joined him, and offered him some weed. He turned it down, but asked if it would be OK if he took his dick out.
    Thinking he was joking (that’s exactly the kind of thing this guy would say), the women gave a facetious thumbs up. He wasn’t joking. When he actually started jerking off in front of them, the ladies decided that wasn’t their bag and made for the exit. But the comedian stood in front of the door, blocking their way with his body, until he was done.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    GAAAHHHHHHHHHH OH MY God ...

There is something seriously wrong with that guy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    From the Gawker article about the incident in Aspen.

At the Aspen Comedy Festival a few years ago, he invited a female comedy duo back to his hotel room. The two ladies gladly joined him, and offered him some weed. He turned it down, but asked if it would be OK if he took his dick out.
    Thinking he was joking (that’s exactly the kind of thing this guy would say), the women gave a facetious thumbs up. He wasn’t joking. When he actually started jerking off in front of them, the ladies decided that wasn’t their bag and made for the exit. But the comedian stood in front of the door, blocking their way with his body, until he was done.
    Thank you, I missed that part.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)

Random Celebrity Headlines

Louis CK is going to live as a gay man now? Crazy.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    His sentiment is certainly accurate (he wielded a position of power so people felt compelled to oblige his requests), but JESUS FUCKING CHRIST YOUR APOLOGY FOR SEXUAL ASSAULT SHOULD NOT INCLUDE HALF A DOZEN REFERENCES TO HOW MUCH PEOPLE ADMIRE YOU.

I've never liked the guy's work (heard him once on the radio before he really blew up and he sounded like a complete asshole). Now? Color me completely unsurprised.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    His sentiment is certainly accurate (he wielded a position of power so people felt compelled to oblige his requests), but JESUS FUCKING CHRIST YOUR APOLOGY FOR SEXUAL ASSAULT SHOULD NOT INCLUDE HALF A DOZEN REFERENCES TO HOW MUCH PEOPLE ADMIRE YOU.

I've never liked the guy's work (heard him once on the radio before he really blew up and he sounded like a complete asshole). Now? Color me completely unsurprised.
    Legally in most states, it's not sexual assault (requires actual physical contact)* but, that aside, isn't he saying that it's kinda WORSE that he USED his position of power and the knowledge of same (that these people admired him) to do it? It's like he's saying that the combo of his position of power and that "audience" was WHY he did it, like the masturbating in front of them COMBINED WITH that position of power is the whole power-fuckery to him? (To MOST: That’s exactly HOW harassment happens.)

Sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual misconduct ... NONE of them are REALLY about "sex" and are EVERYTHING about power.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ual-harassment

*Most sources are referring to it as sexual misconduct.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-10-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    I'll admit I don't have a great grasp of the legal differentiation; I just used the first term that came to mind that seemed appropriate. Misconduct does sound more fitting though. I haven't actually read a single story about him other than the link to the statement posted above, so I hadn't seen how it was being reported.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    I'm glad Louis is (finally, FINALLY, after years of willfully ignoring it) addressing his awful behaviour -- even though he actually failed to apologize for it. Because I think this does qualify as an assault, and at the very least it's something which you should apologize for doing. How is that so fucking difficult?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I'm glad Louis is (finally, FINALLY, after years of willfully ignoring it) addressing his awful behaviour -- even though he actually failed to apologize for it. Because I think this does qualify as an assault, and at the very least it's something which you should apologize for doing. How is that so fucking difficult?
    He’s not going to admit to doing anything criminal*. No lawyer would advise him to do that. He’s being punished and, more importantly, he’s not going to get away with it again.

Harvey Weinstein, Donald Trump, Bill Clinton, Kevin Spacey ... the first three deny everything and call all the victims liars and the last one seemed to blame being gay.

There’s no excuse for LCK’s behavior but it appears that his apology and admission includes his attempt to figure out his psychology behind why he did it. He not only hurt these women, he is also hurting his children and his wife. NO apology will be good enough. Something is WRONG with that guy. He need counseling.

*edit: not FELONIOUS criminal
    Last edited by allegro; 11-10-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    But it's not even an apology. He's centering how badly HE feels, how HE justified his actions, how HE wants to behave going forward. I'm glad he ends by saying "I'm going to shut the fuck up now" because that's ultimately what he needs to do. Followed by some kind of actual atonement.
    Last edited by botley; 11-10-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    its an admission that shows remorse. you really think he hasn't apologized directly to the victims?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    He’s not going to admit to doing anything criminal*. No lawyer would advise him to do that. He’s being punished and, more importantly, he’s not going to get away with it again.

Harvey Weinstein, Donald Trump, Bill Clinton, Kevin Spacey ... the first three deny everything and call all the victims liars and the last one seemed to blame being gay.

There’s no excuse for LCK’s behavior but it appears that his apology and admission includes his attempt to figure out his psychology behind why he did it. He not only hurt these women, he is also hurting his children and his wife. NO apology will be good enough. Something is WRONG with that guy. He need counseling.

*edit: not FELONIOUS criminal
    I’m cynical about Louis not getting away with it again. He could easily visit other countries and engage in non-consensual sexual behaviour. One typical country that is often mentioned is Thailand.

I read about this island powerful people such as Bill Clinton are invited to for parties. The parties are populated by underage girls and boys that are used for sex.

This recent explosion of revelations will help change society, but for the people who want to engage in these activities, they will find ways.
    Last edited by cashpiles; 11-10-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    its an admission that shows remorse. you really think he hasn't apologized directly to the victims?
    That’s exactly whom his apology is directed to: his victims. And his explaining it the way he did helps to show why they trusted him enough to go to his hotel room (since some are saying it’s THEIR fault for doing that). His apology isn’t FOR us; it’s for THEM. It’s up to them to decide if the apology is adequate or acceptable.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-10-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Asshole extraordinaire Brett Ratner harassed Ellen Page during the production of X-Men III: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...en-set-1057053

I'm going to kill that motherfucker.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    For what seems to be the 2nd or 3rd time...physically blocking the door so people can't exit sort of negates being able to leave 'at any point', no?
    I've read the NY Times article the second time and there wasn't anything about physically blocking anyone, so I guess there's some other story that I'm missing? Although, if NYT planned this story so long ahead, it seems a bit weird to me to leave such crucial detail out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    I'm confused about why you hyperlinked the word "fan" to a picture of an actual table fan from the home depot site. Seems like an odd thing to do.
    Guess I'm an odd guy
    Last edited by telee.kom; 11-10-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: fan

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    The problem is that LCK spent years lying his ass off and claiming it was nothing but false "rumors," basically calling the women liars. So it's hard for me to believe that he's genuinely remorseful. He did an interview with Vulture just last year where they mentioned the accusations and he said...

No. I don’t care about that. That’s nothing to me. That’s not real.
    NYT put out this article just from this September where they brought it up much more directly and he said...

"I’m not going to answer to that stuff, because they’re rumors,” Louis C.K. said during the Toronto interview, as he told Vulture last year. But he added on Sunday, “If you actually participate in a rumor, you make it bigger and you make it real.”

So it’s not real? “No.” he responded. “They’re rumors, that’s all that is.”

And what did he make of the comments by Ms. Notaro, whose work he has championed? (Louis C.K. is an executive producer of her Amazon series, “One Mississippi,” though she has said they haven’t spoken in over a year; a new episode of her series features a plot with echoes of the rumors about Louis C.K.) “I don’t know why she said the things she’s said, I really don’t,” he replied...”
    Seriously, look at that shit: "I don’t know why she said the things she’s said, I really don’t".... Dude, fuck you, of course you know what a huge piece of shit you are, you shameless fucking LIAR.

And now here he is not even TWO MONTHS later and we're supposed to believe that he's all of a sudden become incredibly remorseful? Just all of a sudden? Gimme a break. The ONLY reason he's saying this shit is cause he's shitting himself because he knows he's totally busted and it's all going to shit and so he's forced to acknowledge it. He would have never admitted anything otherwise. He would have been a-okay with everything going along as it was, business as usual, keeping the "rumors" at bay, claiming that it was all a lie. Which is why it doesn't really mean much. The actual apology itself was moderately okay, or at least it was written better than what we've been seeing from a lot of these fucking idiots, but when you put it in the context of his recent history and the timing, I can't help feeling like it's a somewhat calculated attempt at damage control.
    Last edited by Mantra; 11-10-2017 at 06:32 PM.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    I've read the NY Times article the second time and there wasn't anything about physically blocking anyone, so I guess there's some other story that I'm missing? Although, if NYT planned this story so long ahead, it seems a bit weird to me to leave such crucial detail out.
    I literally linked to and quoted it above on this same page lol.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I literally linked to and quoted it above on this same page lol.
    Ah sorry I missed it. Doesn't really explain why NYT article does not mention this. And I'm sorry, but I have little more faith in NYT truthfulness as oppose to what tabloid like Gawker says.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    No doubt, I feel you.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Mantra , those are all REALLY good points, thank you. Considering all those other points you cited, he’s a bigger asshole.

I still contend that his punishment is to be determined by his accusers.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    I don't know what to make of the Louis CK thing... I'm really trying hard not to let my personal appreciation for his work interfere with how I feel about it. I also need to do some more reading before I could even begin to weigh in.

From what I've read, I haven't heard the response given after he whipped it out. If anyone can fill me in there, please, but I'm hoping to find it. He also asked, and got a laugh, as if it was a joke. I am not sure if he earnestly believed at the moment that he was just moving ahead with something crazy. I haven't heard that he tried to do more beyond masturbate in front of them.

I think, based on what I've read (and again, I've not read enough, I still need to read his full "apology"), that it's plausible that he regretted doing it, and that he realized in hindsight that what he did was shameful. Denying it goes along with that.

I don't know. I guess I'm going to dive into this deeper. At the very least, failing to confront the allegations when they became a public scandal months ago is cowardly, and makes the whole thing more pathetic.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I can't believe it...I really can't. Next up... George Takei

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    NO! NOT SULU!!!!!!

Aw fuck. I hate Hollywood.