Page 51 of 67 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 2006

Thread: Random Celebrity Headlines

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    That makes sense. I guess the momentum today makes it more believable that a lot of these people exist.
    Dude we’ve known that they exist since forever.

You remember that gross Coco casting couch scene from the movie “Fame?”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...arassment.html

http://mashable.com/2017/10/18/casti.../#quYPxex1cqqo
    Last edited by allegro; 11-09-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I had never heard any of this shit about Louis until today, or I would have happily not paid to see him, watch any of his shit, etc. We can't avoid shit artists if the story isn't widepsread and getting attention.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I'm not surprised by Steven Seagal since he is a scumbag. After all, he beat up Kelly LeBrock during their marriage and I'm not surprised by those auditions. There's also.... ugh.... this....

Katherine Heigl was SIXTEEN in this photo.

Last edited by allegro; 11-09-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    As a huge fan of his, this Louis CK news is beyond disappointing. I’m speechless.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I am a woman, and a feminist, but I often wonder about the motivations of this kind of stuff these days, too, from guys online. This social media stuff, so much of it is shit, I do myself wonder if some of these guys are just trying to cash in on some "metoo" thing so they can get more hits or look really cool so they can get laid.

Ugh, it's all just ... ugh
    And here we have a perspective that I have struggled with for a long, long time.

I've always considered myself to be a generally conscientious and caring person - I'm talking back to at least early middle school, when I was the unpopular kid but people would still come to me with their problems because I was a good listener. It never got me anywhere socially or sexually (that's not why I listened - just a statement of fact for context), and so it never occurred to me that someone would use generosity as a ploy.

Fast forward to dating as an adult: for years, I tried to be upfront about the fact that I considered myself to genuinely be a nice guy. Why? Because I know how many people aren't. But now, what you just said starts to become apparent: turns out many women see a man being outspoken about not being a total prick as an attempt to get in their pants. It took me way too long to realize this and understand why, but I eventually did. "Ugh" is right.

I am, for the most part, a calm, quiet, and shy person. But so help me, when guys at work are acting like sexist shitheads, I call them out for it. I will actually yell if it gets bad enough, which I almost never do unless it's a matter of immediate safety and yelling is necessary. And apparently, it's the biggest thing that my better half loves about me. But we didn't meet online; she never saw me "advertise" that I wasn't a prick. We were introduced by a mutual female friend who had known both of us for years, so she didn't have to wonder what my motives were when I said I was a feminist.

At the end of the day, as frustrating as it is to be a guy and constantly have my motives questioned, I know it's way, way more frustrating and difficult (and heck, potentially dangerous) to be a woman and have good reason to need to question a man's motives. And it makes me feel like shit because I feel like there's nothing I can do about it, even though I know in my heart that calling it out when I see it is at least a start.

Ugh, indeed.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    @allegro , may I ask you why you refer to The View a lot? Do you actually think that show has some merit and depth to it that it's worth listening to those gals, or is it just a coincidence that certain people's insightful answers were given on The View?

I'm asking, because what I've seen and heard from that show, is rather... questionable, to say the least. I am quite triggered from Whoopi "not "rape" rape" Goldberg and anyone who eats up Meryl Streep and pretend she did not give a standing ovation to a rapist. But of course, the same people are condemning these other predators.

I would also adjust my stance on Louis C. K., because he really is another case. Don't get me wrong, I want him to be purged out from Hollywood, but he is not malevolent. I don't question why he did what he did, I question why did he not seek help. I don't think he deserves hate; being abandoned by the people who trusted him in any form is what he should have coming for him. The whole article is just... sad. Especially when you think about his wife and children.

Unfortunately, as it was expected, some people will ride his penis till the very end. In every discussion there are some folks who feel the need to add "ALLLEGEDLY". No. Just no. read the article: names, cross-references, multiple sources. The only think that is alleged is whether he closed the doors or not. The article did not mention it.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    @allegro, may I ask you why you refer to The View a lot? Do you actually think that show has some merit and depth to it that it's worth listening to those gals, or is it just a coincidence that certain people's insightful answers were given on The View?

I'm asking, because what I've seen and heard from that show, is rather... questionable, to say the least.
    "See, what I love about this guy is that he's not like most men. He's not threatening. He's the kind of guy who you could take home to your parents, and not worry about getting you pregnant"

The View, introducing an artist who's single biggest runaway hit was about his girlfriend getting an abortion in high school. That was enough to make me never consider watching that show again.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The axe is falling, HBO has cut ties with him, FX is 'reviewing their relationship', movie cancelled, Netflix cutting ties and cancelled a planned special...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I'm not even that much of a fan of Louis CK but from what I've read he really don't deserve the same scorch-earth treatment as Weinstein and alike. First of all he asked them for permission, these women where there on their own accord, they could've left at any point, he wasn't making threats to any of them, the one who didn't want to participate said no and that was the end of it. Honestly this seems more like bedroom stories I've never wanted to hear than anything else. I can sort of understand the argument that he did this from position of power, but some of these happened what.. 15 years ago? He wasn't nearly as big as he is right now. I think the most important thing is that they said yes.. soo. No means no, yes means yes, but sometimes yes means also no or what is this supposed to mean?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    And here we have a perspective that I have struggled with for a long, long time.

I've always considered myself to be a generally conscientious and caring person - I'm talking back to at least early middle school, when I was the unpopular kid but people would still come to me with their problems because I was a good listener. It never got me anywhere socially or sexually (that's not why I listened - just a statement of fact for context), and so it never occurred to me that someone would use generosity as a ploy.

Fast forward to dating as an adult: for years, I tried to be upfront about the fact that I considered myself to genuinely be a nice guy. Why? Because I know how many people aren't. But now, what you just said starts to become apparent: turns out many women see a man being outspoken about not being a total prick as an attempt to get in their pants. It took me way too long to realize this and understand why, but I eventually did. "Ugh" is right.

I am, for the most part, a calm, quiet, and shy person. But so help me, when guys at work are acting like sexist shitheads, I call them out for it. I will actually yell if it gets bad enough, which I almost never do unless it's a matter of immediate safety and yelling is necessary. And apparently, it's the biggest thing that my better half loves about me. But we didn't meet online; she never saw me "advertise" that I wasn't a prick. We were introduced by a mutual female friend who had known both of us for years, so she didn't have to wonder what my motives were when I said I was a feminist.

At the end of the day, as frustrating as it is to be a guy and constantly have my motives questioned, I know it's way, way more frustrating and difficult (and heck, potentially dangerous) to be a woman and have good reason to need to question a man's motives. And it makes me feel like shit because I feel like there's nothing I can do about it, even though I know in my heart that calling it out when I see it is at least a start.

Ugh, indeed.
    I don’t see anything posted on here or by friends on FB or whatever to be “ugh” because it’s obviously a genuine concern that is all the time, not just at specific opportunities; women really do need men’s support in the workplace for this shit to no longer be accepted. We will all continue to fight, either way, there’s safety and power in numbers. When you do and say things at work to thwart harassment, it MATTERS. It’s important.

But I think what @Volband was talking about was that specific Twitter link to a famous guy and @Volband said said that guy is playing “White Knight” to the world of (anonymous to him) women and that seemed disingenuous, and I saw what he meant. @Volband has been supportive here in his attitudes, as you have, but we are a kind of anonymous “family,” here, and it’s really great having your support. But I think @Volband had a valid point about bewaring or wondering about the Twitter White Knights, people on Twitter aren’t always very genuine.

Social Media can be a great platform, it can be a creepy platform, and even scary. This is a message forum, and that type of online media way predates Social Media.

I apologize if members here think that I meant people here. I was referring to a Tweet and Twitter.

Re The View, I mostly get a kick out of Joy Behar, she HATES Trump — more than anybody I see on TV, more than ME, even — and we watch it most days during breakfast; it doesn’t mean I agree with everything, sometimes I agree with Meghan McCain, LOL. I stopped watching for years because of Simone and Cameron Bure and some others. This current panel is balanced. Although, I don’t like Sunny Hosten, at all (too Catholic Church with everything). Whoopie provides a different perspective as a black woman from a different generation. The View is now mostly a Liberal echo chamber but ... I like that lol.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-10-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    these women where there on their own accord, they could've left at any point, he wasn't making threats to any of them, the one who didn't want to participate said no and that was the end of it.
    For what seems to be the 2nd or 3rd time...physically blocking the door so people can't exit sort of negates being able to leave 'at any point', no?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm not even that much of a fan of Louis CK but from what I've read he really don't deserve the same scorch-earth treatment as Weinstein and alike. First of all he asked them for permission, these women where there on their own accord, they could've left at any point, he wasn't making threats to any of them, the one who didn't want to participate said no and that was the end of it. Honestly this seems more like bedroom stories I've never wanted to hear than anything else. I can sort of understand the argument that he did this from position of power, but some of these happened what.. 15 years ago? He wasn't nearly as big as he is right now. I think the most important thing is that they said yes.. soo. No means no, yes means yes, but sometimes yes means also no or what is this supposed to mean?

Be it as it may the public is out for blood and all it takes is a few allegations, headlines to paint a person with that brush. To a lesser extent look at what happened to Anthony Fantano or that Jamie Kleinstein guy and the affect it had on their careers. I don't care for Louis CK or have I really followed all of these developments but these days it feels that it doesn't matter if you sacrificed a cat or practiced naturopathy... a witch is a witch.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Here's his response.

A post shared by on

I swear, Twin Peaks is cursed.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband
    In every discussion there are some folks who feel the need to add "ALLLEGEDLY". No. Just no. read the article: names, cross-references, multiple sources. The only think that is alleged is whether he closed the doors or not. The article did not mention it.
    We’ve discussed this, it doesn’t mean “we question the validity of the facts and allegations,” it’s to avoid lawsuits, it’s industry standard because we are a particularly litigious society. Employers are now instructed to NOT provide ANY job references and, instead, only confirm employment; because there have been many suits re job references that were INTENDED as good references but former employees didn’t agree. We have laws to protect homeowners protecting themselves from home invaders due to lawsuits where a robber was hit on the head or was shot by the homeowner while invading a home, then the robber sued the homeowner for injuries.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I'm not even that much of a fan of Louis CK but...
    I'm confused about why you hyperlinked the word "fan" to a picture of an actual table fan from the home depot site. Seems like an odd thing to do.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    For what seems to be the 2nd or 3rd time...physically blocking the door so people can't exit sort of negates being able to leave 'at any point', no?
    I apologize as this is probably a reading issue on my end, but when I read the articles, I missed the part where they said that he blocked doors.

Can you please cite the source for this part of the accusations?

Thank you.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    If some dude in a non-intimate situation whipped out his dick (or said to me hey baby I’m gonna whip out my dick and THEN DID), I think I’d have a damned heart attack.

The idea that I could just “leave” doesn’t UNDO WHAT I JUST SAW, I’d have to STAB OUT MY OWN EYEBALLS but it’d be in my head forever, UGH.

Some people seem to think the women grabbed a chair and a snack to sit and watch Louis CK jack off, then held up a sign like on the Olympics, “6.5”

Fuck if he blocked the door or not, or if they only saw this shit for 3 seconds before running out of the room - what part of any of this shit is okay or not really that bad??

HE WHIPPED OUT HIS DICK AND MASTURBATED IN FRONT OF PEOPLE IN NON-INTIMATE SITUATIONS, IN FRONT OF CO-WORKERS / PEERS.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-10-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    I apologize as this is probably a reading issue on my end, but when I read the articles, I missed the part where they said that he blocked doors.

Can you please cite the source for this part of the accusations?

Thank you.
    From the Gawker article about the incident in Aspen.

At the Aspen Comedy Festival a few years ago, he invited a female comedy duo back to his hotel room. The two ladies gladly joined him, and offered him some weed. He turned it down, but asked if it would be OK if he took his dick out.
    Thinking he was joking (that’s exactly the kind of thing this guy would say), the women gave a facetious thumbs up. He wasn’t joking. When he actually started jerking off in front of them, the ladies decided that wasn’t their bag and made for the exit. But the comedian stood in front of the door, blocking their way with his body, until he was done.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    GAAAHHHHHHHHHH OH MY God ...

There is something seriously wrong with that guy

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    From the Gawker article about the incident in Aspen.

At the Aspen Comedy Festival a few years ago, he invited a female comedy duo back to his hotel room. The two ladies gladly joined him, and offered him some weed. He turned it down, but asked if it would be OK if he took his dick out.
    Thinking he was joking (that’s exactly the kind of thing this guy would say), the women gave a facetious thumbs up. He wasn’t joking. When he actually started jerking off in front of them, the ladies decided that wasn’t their bag and made for the exit. But the comedian stood in front of the door, blocking their way with his body, until he was done.
    Thank you, I missed that part.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    His sentiment is certainly accurate (he wielded a position of power so people felt compelled to oblige his requests), but JESUS FUCKING CHRIST YOUR APOLOGY FOR SEXUAL ASSAULT SHOULD NOT INCLUDE HALF A DOZEN REFERENCES TO HOW MUCH PEOPLE ADMIRE YOU.

I've never liked the guy's work (heard him once on the radio before he really blew up and he sounded like a complete asshole). Now? Color me completely unsurprised.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    His sentiment is certainly accurate (he wielded a position of power so people felt compelled to oblige his requests), but JESUS FUCKING CHRIST YOUR APOLOGY FOR SEXUAL ASSAULT SHOULD NOT INCLUDE HALF A DOZEN REFERENCES TO HOW MUCH PEOPLE ADMIRE YOU.

I've never liked the guy's work (heard him once on the radio before he really blew up and he sounded like a complete asshole). Now? Color me completely unsurprised.
    Legally in most states, it's not sexual assault (requires actual physical contact)* but, that aside, isn't he saying that it's kinda WORSE that he USED his position of power and the knowledge of same (that these people admired him) to do it? It's like he's saying that the combo of his position of power and that "audience" was WHY he did it, like the masturbating in front of them COMBINED WITH that position of power is the whole power-fuckery to him? (To MOST: That’s exactly HOW harassment happens.)

Sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual misconduct ... NONE of them are REALLY about "sex" and are EVERYTHING about power.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ual-harassment

*Most sources are referring to it as sexual misconduct.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-10-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I'll admit I don't have a great grasp of the legal differentiation; I just used the first term that came to mind that seemed appropriate. Misconduct does sound more fitting though. I haven't actually read a single story about him other than the link to the statement posted above, so I hadn't seen how it was being reported.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'm glad Louis is (finally, FINALLY, after years of willfully ignoring it) addressing his awful behaviour -- even though he actually failed to apologize for it. Because I think this does qualify as an assault, and at the very least it's something which you should apologize for doing. How is that so fucking difficult?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I'm glad Louis is (finally, FINALLY, after years of willfully ignoring it) addressing his awful behaviour -- even though he actually failed to apologize for it. Because I think this does qualify as an assault, and at the very least it's something which you should apologize for doing. How is that so fucking difficult?
    He’s not going to admit to doing anything criminal*. No lawyer would advise him to do that. He’s being punished and, more importantly, he’s not going to get away with it again.

Harvey Weinstein, Donald Trump, Bill Clinton, Kevin Spacey ... the first three deny everything and call all the victims liars and the last one seemed to blame being gay.

There’s no excuse for LCK’s behavior but it appears that his apology and admission includes his attempt to figure out his psychology behind why he did it. He not only hurt these women, he is also hurting his children and his wife. NO apology will be good enough. Something is WRONG with that guy. He need counseling.

*edit: not FELONIOUS criminal
    Last edited by allegro; 11-10-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    But it's not even an apology. He's centering how badly HE feels, how HE justified his actions, how HE wants to behave going forward. I'm glad he ends by saying "I'm going to shut the fuck up now" because that's ultimately what he needs to do. Followed by some kind of actual atonement.
    Last edited by botley; 11-10-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    He’s not going to admit to doing anything criminal*. No lawyer would advise him to do that. He’s being punished and, more importantly, he’s not going to get away with it again.

Harvey Weinstein, Donald Trump, Bill Clinton, Kevin Spacey ... the first three deny everything and call all the victims liars and the last one seemed to blame being gay.

There’s no excuse for LCK’s behavior but it appears that his apology and admission includes his attempt to figure out his psychology behind why he did it. He not only hurt these women, he is also hurting his children and his wife. NO apology will be good enough. Something is WRONG with that guy. He need counseling.

*edit: not FELONIOUS criminal
    I’m cynical about Louis not getting away with it again. He could easily visit other countries and engage in non-consensual sexual behaviour. One typical country that is often mentioned is Thailand.

I read about this island powerful people such as Bill Clinton are invited to for parties. The parties are populated by underage girls and boys that are used for sex.

This recent explosion of revelations will help change society, but for the people who want to engage in these activities, they will find ways.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 11-10-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    its an admission that shows remorse. you really think he hasn't apologized directly to the victims?
    That’s exactly whom his apology is directed to: his victims. And his explaining it the way he did helps to show why they trusted him enough to go to his hotel room (since some are saying it’s THEIR fault for doing that). His apology isn’t FOR us; it’s for THEM. It’s up to them to decide if the apology is adequate or acceptable.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-10-2017 at 04:39 PM.