Page 24 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Celebrity Headlines

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    R.I.P. Philip Seymour Hoffman. Such a sad thing to happen. You were a great actor and I'm going to miss your acting.
    The possibility of seeing him play the penguin in a batman movie always intrigued me and now I wont get to see this happen.
    He was such an underrated actor and I believe he didn't get to reach his full potential commercially. His acting in Almost Famous and Capote blew my mind.
    In his honor I will watch Almost Famous.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Don't forget boogey nights as Scotty!!!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    He was such a tragic character in that, it made me sad. Great movie.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    So tragic. When an outstanding acting talent gets taken down by addiction, especially after being clean for so long and when he has so much to live for is lost so soon, that is the definition of tragic. I don’t think he ever mailed in a performance, not even once. RIP.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I don't usually get depressed over actor's deaths since I don't know them personally, but this one is like a kick in my soul's groin. He was an amazing actor. I never expected him to go out like this.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    May I suggest we start a Passages or RIP thread? It'll be depressing as hell if this thread moves on to something a certain blonde, dumb Canadian is doing.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Sad loss with even sadder circumstances.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    We loose assets like Phillip and Heath YET Freddy Prinze Jr. still roams the earth. WTF?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    PSH was from my hometown and even more well-loved here than by his countless fans the world over. Even in the age of social media, I have never seen news spread so quickly as his passing. The entire area seems to be treating this not as the loss of a great actor, but of a friend. And to many here, he was.

I hadn't even known that he suffered from drug addiction problems, and to me, that just makes the passing even sadder. Someone suggested that because he was a family man and it was drug-related, they considered it a suicide and a selfish mood. Obviously, this country still has a lot to learn about addiction.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I would facepalm that post, too, but it wouldn't be for you personally. : /

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    We loose assets like Phillip and Heath YET Freddy Prinze Jr. still roams the earth. WTF?
    Charlie Sheen Found Alive In His New York Apartment, Aged 48

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/02/02/charlie-sheen-found-alive-in-his-new-york-apartment-aged-48/

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Charlie Sheen Found Alive In His New York Apartment, Aged 48

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/201...tment-aged-48/
    Just goes to show how unfair the world is. Michael Bay still gets to keep making movies no matter how shit they are and the Kartrashians still roam around the Earth making the world dumber than it already is. There is no God.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    To Honor Hoffman, Focus on Prevention, not the Drug War

Great read.

RIP Phillip. I hope you found the peace that had eluded you in life.

As for movie suggestion, I would recommend two of his earlier supportive roles in The Talented Mr Ripley and Red Dragon. I'm also very fond of Capote in which he did a veritable tour de force as the diminutive writer.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Just goes to show how unfair the world is. Michael Bay still gets to keep making movies no matter how shit they are and the Kartrashians still roam around the Earth making the world dumber than it already is. There is no God.
    Fuck that, it's not the fairness of the world at play... it's the dice people are forced to roll thanks to the fucking drug war (assuming it was unintentional).

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Do not take one step further to politicize the death of this man. I swear to god.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Prevention and harm reduction are very helpful, but they would be less important if it weren't for the side effects of the drug war.

I spent many years running a harm reduction resource. Many of the things you need to think about are entirely due to the inconsistent nature of drug supply chains and not knowing wtf is in your drugs. Some of that is inherent to a black market. Some of it is due to novel ways of circumventing government prohibitionary tactics. There are also plenty of people who won't bother with all the precautions, or simply are unaware. Their odds are much worse thanks to the shitty market that prohibition has created.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    Do not take one step further to politicize the death of this man. I swear to god.
    LOL seriously...some people.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    PSH was a great actor and this is a huge loss. Rent Copote if you haven't seen it already.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Excellent counterpoint to the Daily Beast article linked a page back.

What is the burden of proof for assuming that a person is lying? If you are a famous film director, it turns out to be quite high. You don’t have to say a word in your defense, in fact, and people who have directed documentaries about you will write lengthy essays in the Daily Beast tearing down the testimony of your accusers. You can just go about your life making movie after movie, and it’s fine. But if you are a woman who has accused a great film director of molesting you when you were seven, the starting point is the presumption that, without real evidence, you are not telling the truth. In the court of public opinion, a woman accusing a great film director of raping her has no credibility which his fans are bound to respect. He has something to lose, his good name. She does not, because she does not have a good name. She is living in hiding, under an assumed name. And when she is silent, the Daily Beast does not rise to her defense.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    PSH was a great actor and this is a huge loss. Rent Copote if you haven't seen it already.
    He was outstanding in The Master too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Synecdoche, New York, one of my favorites.

Last edited by Findus; 02-04-2014 at 02:03 AM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    A bit late maybe, but ANY night's a good night to recommend Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

Definitely a great PSH movie everyone should see as well as being the first one to leap to my mind upon hearing the sad news, given certain plot points and all.

:-\

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    He was outstanding in The Master too.
    Great movie too.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Extremely underrated/under-appreciated PSH movie: Pirate Radio

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    And... Stephen King put his foot in his mouth: http://www.dailydot.com/news/stephen...itchery-tweet/
    Did he try to say that him being inexperienced with Twitter caused him to victim blame?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Or was he referring to being new to the case? Either way stfu Stephen King: twitter is the ruin of celebrities - tweet before you think.

More: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/c...w_and_her.html

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Say what you will about Russel Brand but his perspective and experience with addiction shows how many people are left in the dark about addictions.

I highly suggest that everyone who cares to read this.

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    A bit late maybe, but ANY night's a good night to recommend Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

Definitely a great PSH movie everyone should see as well as being the first one to leap to my mind upon hearing the sad news, given certain plot points and all.

:-\
    Yeah, watched it last night. Good film, but somewhat off-putting given the current context

Synedoche, New York is an all-time favourite.