Page 75 of 150 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 125 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 4490

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post

This is the one included in the Aeroplane Deluxe boxset? Too bad it's without Jimmy...
    As much as Jimmy is Jesus Christ, this dude performed killer. Everything’s so tight!

Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    As much as Jimmy is Jesus Christ, this dude performed killer. Everything’s so tight!

Thanks for sharing.
    Matt Walker is the man. Billy also worked with on the music they made for the film Ransom and Adore. I never understood why Billy didn't continue to work with him. Unless Matt had a falling out with him, which I wouldn't be surprised.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Rolling Stone: 7 Questions We Still Have about SP's 'Reunion' Tour

Basically saying what everyone is thinking.
    "With all that in mind, why didn't they sit down with D'arcy much earlier and work through all this? They could have avoided this whole mess instead of raising everyone's expectations."

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Rolling Stone: 7 Questions We Still Have about SP's 'Reunion' Tour

Basically saying what everyone is thinking.
    The final paragraph is spot on. I really hope they can still figure out how to incorporate D'arcy somehow, but she needs to stop leaking shit to the press if she still has ANY interest in a future with the band.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Question for the SP fans- at their peak, we’re they able to sell out arenas? Just wondering since they e been a theatre/club band recently. Also the Manson co-tour seemed to sell pretty poorly- I don’t even think Red Rocks sold out.

Would Iha returning really spark that much interest, or is this some pipe dream of Billy Corgan in an attempt to be “huge” again. With all due respect it just doesn’t seem like they were ever as bit as say, GnR.

Ive always liked their music- when it’s good it’s REALLY fucking good. Could never get past Billy Corgan’s voice though. :/

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    The final paragraph is spot on. I really hope they can still figure out how to incorporate D'arcy somehow, but she needs to stop leaking shit to the press if she still has ANY interest in a future with the band.
    If she ever re-joins, I’ll blow myself.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    https://www.alternativenation.net/sm...w-in-20-years/

Now according to Live Nation, Billy is an asshole.
    This whole thing is a fucked up shitstorm.
    As far as I'm concerned, I just want good music that I can enjoy.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    https://www.alternativenation.net/sm...w-in-20-years/

Now according to Live Nation, Billy is an asshole.
    This whole thing is a fucked up shitstorm.
    As far as I'm concerned, I just want good music that I can enjoy.
    Who cares? D'arcy was the Andrew Ridgeley of The Smashing Pumpkins. Would the new album sound any different had she been involved? She didn't even play on the first two, minus the vocals for Daydream. And I've read the texts, Billy comes across as friendly and eager for her involvement, while she sees aloof. Billy has made some bad decisions and can maybe be at times pretentious and put out sub-par material, but I side with him here.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Read the interview. Conclusion: they both have some ego issues.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    So of the icons in the 90s, it seems like Trent, Dave Grohl, and the guys of Pearl Jam have become the most stable acts that are still around and not hung up on nostalgia.

I've seen Corgan in interviews and even though he does come across as a very intelligent guy. There is an element about him that is quite smug. I guess that song Pavement did many years back was true about the band but it was more about Billy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Honestly, as long as Billy and Jimmy is involved I have no problem with calling it a reunion.
    Billy's songwriting and Jimmy's drumming are what SP is to me.
    James is like Richard Barbieri to Porcupine Tree. With him it sounds much better, but not "essential".

Yes, I like Zeitgeist, American Gothic and Oceania. Love Gossamer and residency songs.
    Gossamer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I find it funny that people act like Billy was all sunshine and rainbows these last 18 years when discussing the band. This is the dude who literally used the original band's album reissues to bash his fellow band members in the booklet and give himself all the credit. These reissues were meant to celebrate these albums not use them your personal podium to talk crap about your supposed friends aka bandmates. Even in their official residency documentary, he used it to bash James for the credit he gets for helping write "Mayonaise" and "Soma." Billy has said some vicious and horrid things. This is all Billy has done and up until last year he used the Pumpkins name to bash the band and deminish their roles whenever he could in the press. So honestly, if he can't take D'arcy speaking her mind about her side of events, he is a hypocrite. The fact that he couldn't even have the courtesy to actually sit down in person with D'arcy like two human beings before rushing into a full on arena reunion tour speaks volumes. These four haven't played together in 18 frigging years. Jeez, what is wrong with simply hanging and jamming for fun? Honestly, this whole fiasco fell apart because it was rushed instead of maturing naturally. It doesn't feel genuine. It all feels like a quick cash grab rather than four human beings who were once friends coming back together to reconnect and heal and remember that feeling they had playing music together. I think everyone bares a bit of the blame here. I think everyone should take responsibility for their crap and behave like mature adults. As much as I would love to see these four together performing live again, if it's not real and genuine, then I'm not really into it. I don't want to see four people simply tolerating each for a paycheck just because I want to hear them play "Rhinoceros" or "Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans." I want them together because they actually want to be together and make music with each other again. It seems this tour was never really about that.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Matt Walker is the man. Billy also worked with on the music they made for the film Ransom and Adore. I never understood why Billy didn't continue to work with him. Unless Matt had a falling out with him, which I wouldn't be surprised.
    billy has thanksgiving dinner with matt's family every year, they're still tight. (i'm friends with matt and worked with him on a few things a few years back, which is how i know this)

matt brought a new and different energy to the band that i love. his work on adore is fantastic and he's got a really great stage presence. he's been morrissey's drummer for years now which is generally his main gig. he also does music for commercials and occasionally tv, and plays drums in Sons Of The Silent Age, the bowie tribute band with chris connelly.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    It's too late for me to read the interview. I'll be up for hours, I just know it. And I don't feel like inducing vomiting. One way or another I have a feeling it will.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    It's too late for me to read the interview. I'll be up for hours, I just know it. And I don't feel like inducing vomiting. One way or another I have a feeling it will.
    Eh. If you've been following along so far, you know what to expect.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    billy has thanksgiving dinner with matt's family every year, they're still tight. (i'm friends with matt and worked with him on a few things a few years back, which is how i know this)

matt brought a new and different energy to the band that i love. his work on adore is fantastic and he's got a really great stage presence. he's been morrissey's drummer for years now which is generally his main gig. he also does music for commercials and occasionally tv, and plays drums in Sons Of The Silent Age, the bowie tribute band with chris connelly.
    Yeah, if I can't have Jimmy, give me Matt. I love his work on Adore. Adore and Mellon Collie/Aeroplane battle for top spot in my top SP album list. I feel MC and TAFH are one thing. But I would love to see Billy work more with Matt even if Jimmy is in the picture.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Yeah, if I can't have Jimmy, give me Matt. I love his work on Adore. Adore and Mellon Collie/Aeroplane battle for top spot in my top SP album list. I feel MC and TAFH are one thing. But I would love to see Billy work more with Matt even if Jimmy is in the picture.
    that's the thing, matt isn't just a great drummer. he plays everything, and he's really innovative.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think Alternative Nation is just making things worse

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    For better or worse Billy IS The Smashing Pumpkins he can do what he wants wih the band. but that doesn't mean the fans won't like to see Iha, Chamberlin and D' Arcy again.

He handled the whole thing poorly not reuniting with D' Arcy before and not making sure everything is up and running, but D'Arcy has some of the blame too.

I don't care for this reunion anymore, it was bound to end badly anyway, in my opinion the band members already did all they could and this was just a nostalgia trip.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by high def ultra-realism View Post
    I think Alternative Nation is just making things worse

I wouldn’t blame them. The shit storm already started, and even if it wasn’t them some other journalist would’ve loved to have the interview.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I see a bunch of people who could barely work together when they were younger, who have managed to work out none of their problems and a situation made immeasurably worse by BC once again treating the band like a brand.

She comes off a little scatterbrained to me, but a lot of what she described said has a lot of basis in many, many anecdotes about Bill's behavior that have circulated through the years. This adds a lot of context to the band's history.

Jesus, that bit about her having a miscarriage.

BC definitely tried to get her back in, but on his terms and not hers, and she wouldn't play ball. Same as it ever was.

The original four will never work or tour together again. That's all there is to it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I wouldn’t blame them. The shit storm already started, and even if it wasn’t them some other journalist would’ve loved to have the interview.
    True, but they FEED off of this kind of shit. This drama is bad for the band, but GREAT for good headlines, clicks, and their (music blogs and publications like Consequence of Sound, Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, etc.) business in general. The guy who interviewed her did seem to be a fan, though.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 02-14-2018 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Clarification

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Seeing them doing the ice cream van thing is hilarious. This is the guy who spent years mocking fans who want something like Siamese Dream and now he’s all about recycling that imagery if it helps him on his nostalgia cash-in. D’Arcy’s line about how in Billy’s mind, only he’s allowed to look back at the past is incredibly true. The fact of the matter is and has always been that if he made anything as interesting as the classic albums, almost everyone would be on board, but instead we get albums that should be EPs padded out with shit like Run2Me. If people have fetishized the past for this band it’s because he’s done very little to make the present worth caring about, and this whole stint is only proving it.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Profetic...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I find it funny that people act like Billy was all sunshine and rainbows these last 18 years when discussing the band. This is the dude who literally used the original band's album reissues to bash his fellow band members in the booklet and give himself all the credit. These reissues were meant to celebrate these albums not use them your personal podium to talk crap about your supposed friends aka bandmates. Even in their official residency documentary, he used it to bash James for the credit he gets for helping write "Mayonaise" and "Soma." Billy has said some vicious and horrid things. This is all Billy has done and up until last year he used the Pumpkins name to bash the band and deminish their roles whenever he could in the press. So honestly, if he can't take D'arcy speaking her mind about her side of events, he is a hypocrite. The fact that he couldn't even have the courtesy to actually sit down in person with D'arcy like two human beings before rushing into a full on arena reunion tour speaks volumes. These four haven't played together in 18 frigging years. Jeez, what is wrong with simply hanging and jamming for fun? Honestly, this whole fiasco fell apart because it was rushed instead of maturing naturally. It doesn't feel genuine. It all feels like a quick cash grab rather than four human beings who were once friends coming back together to reconnect and heal and remember that feeling they had playing music together. I think everyone bares a bit of the blame here. I think everyone should take responsibility for their crap and behave like mature adults. As much as I would love to see these four together performing live again, if it's not real and genuine, then I'm not really into it. I don't want to see four people simply tolerating each for a paycheck just because I want to hear them play "Rhinoceros" or "Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans." I want them together because they actually want to be together and make music with each other again. It seems this tour was never really about that.
    Because of this post, I was blocked from Smashing Pumpkins FB group. Even though a bunch of people liked it and agreed with me. Saying they want no negative posts, meanwhile there's tons of personal publicly shredding D'arcy apart and saying some horrid things. The hypocrisy is amazing. A bunch of men fawning over Billy and ripping apart the woman.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Question for the SP fans- at their peak, we’re they able to sell out arenas?/
    Looking on Setlist.fm for the 1996 tour, they did 3 dates at the Rosemont Horizon (Chicago suburb, so increased demand for hometown shows), & 2 at Madison Square Garden.

In 98 they tried to play a charity show at Soldier Field (Chicago Bears football stadium) but for some reason it got moved to the then World Music Theater (standard "shed" venue with pavilion & lawn) in Tinley Park.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I'll put it this way - a girl got crushed to death at an Ireland show in 1996. The shows were packed and absolutely insane. There's no comparing rock concert attendance now to then.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    United Center, Madison Square Garden and the LA Forum just sent out this tweet:

They really are doing some sort of new take on the Today video

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    United Center, Madison Square Garden and the LA Forum just sent out this tweet:

They really are doing some sort of new take on the Today video
    This just sounds so cringeworthy.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Should be interesting to see how the turn out is for large arenas. The UC is fucking huge, think it can hold nearly 20K for end stage.