Page 1 of 68 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Qotsa

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Qotsa

...or Queens of the Stone Age if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

According to frequent contributor Alain Johannes, the band has recently been putting in some heavy studio time for their latest project, & says "it’s going to be amazing. I’m really excited about it." No completion/release dates yet, but fingers crossed for 2012. Kind of hoping for a return to their older sound after the slickness of Era Vulgaris, but who knows w/these guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    been waiting for their next one with bated breath. rediscovered their first album a few years ago and thinks it's their best.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I really enjoy QOTSA. Seeing them open for NIN in Chicago was great

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    It's been a long wait since Era Vulgaris... although we've had Them Crooked Vultures, Eagles of Death Metal (and now Boots Electric) to fill the gap. I can't wait!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I thought Alain wasn't in the band anymore?

I want something like Desert Sessions and Spiders and Vinegaroons. Basically something you can listen to while drinking Tequila. No more Era Vulgaris please, although the song with the same name is awesome.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terryzen View Post
    been waiting for their next one with bated breath. rediscovered their first album a few years ago and thinks it's their best.
    Yes! That makes two of us, though I totally get how most folks prefer SFTD or Rated R.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    I thought Alain wasn't in the band anymore?
    You're right, he's not. That's why I prefaced it with "longtime contributor". ;)

Anyone catch the Anthony Bourdain desert special back in August that featured Josh?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It's been a long wait since Era Vulgaris... although we've had Them Crooked Vultures, Eagles of Death Metal (and now Boots Electric) to fill the gap. I can't wait!

I'll just quote you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Can't wait for something new. Been way too long...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ad infinitum View Post
    Anyone catch the Anthony Bourdain desert special back in August that featured Josh?
    this was really really good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    this was really really good.

Twas indeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Something deep within the recesses of my soul has abiding faith in the musical wizard that is Josh Homme and believes that the next LP will be more "Self-Titled/Rated-R-ish" and will redeem Era Vulgaris and all will be well in the world and I will make a cup of tea and smile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Hey kiddies, listen up. 12 days of xmas sale happening NOW - enter QOTSA at check out for 20% off your entire order. OK ok before you all yell at me on the comments machine, Yep. the Queens are deep into makin the new album. Locked away in the desert. & shit yeah. it. sounds. fuckin. killer."
    That was posted on QOTSA's facebook yesterday. If I get new NIN in 2012 and new QOTSA I will be the happiest of bunnies.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought EV was more than a bit iffy.
    And I still haven't checked out TCV!

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Brand new cover of Bob Dylan's "Outlaw Blues" out there. I think it's swell.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    holy shit. that's the surprise of the week

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not a fan of the vocals on the cover—Josh has the voice for it, sure, but of late he seems to be favouring power vocals over melody. As old as the S/T is, it's a great showcase of how beautiful his voice could (and still can) be. Probably the reason I never got hugely into Them Crooked Vultures; there was a little too much belting for my liking.

At any rate, it's nice to hear something new and I'm looking forward to the next album. Chances are I'll love a significant chunk of it, at least, as I have done every album Queens have put out.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    It's a Bob Dylan song. He's imitating Bob Dylan, not trying to sing "beautifully". They even imitated the original's 60s stereo mix fer chrissakes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I know, it's just a similar vocal style to the one he's been adopting of late. I'll admit I hadn't heard the original version so I had nothing to compare it to; I was just expressing dismay at the lack of melodic vocals in general.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    A lot of Queens fans have apparently never heard Bringing It All Back Home. That's sad.

EDIT: Only insofar as the absolute TEMPLATE of "don't-give-a-fuck rock" LPs is not on your radar. Download it right now.
    Last edited by botley; 12-11-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Heh, I don't know who altered the thread title, but I like it! :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the Dylan cover is sick, lovin it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    QOTSA - Joshua Homme = God
    What's wrong with Josh Homme in QOTSA?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Mark Lanegan Band is putting out a new record (Blues Funeral) in February, produced by Alain Johannes and Josh Homme is playing on it. The first track is up streaming at marklanegan.com or you can download it for free. Highly recommended.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I'm in the camp that thinks Rated R is their best. Something about that album just kicks my ass each time I hear it. SFTD is Rated R perfected, but both are probably the two best pure rock and roll albums released in the past two decades.

As for Lanegan, I can't wait. Has it really been almost eight years since Bubblegum?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've always had a love/hate relationship with QOTSA. There's a bunch of tracks I adore and a bunch I can't sit through. The ones I love though I really love.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    OHMIGAWD the breakdown in "No One Knows" live circa 2005 was so fucking GOOOOOD. Listening to "Over the Years..." version now and FUCK it's good.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    this song by Lanegan probably went unnoticed... http://www.rage.com/en/extras-rage-mark-lanegan

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ad infinitum View Post

Good to hear about them feeling like they don't have to prove anything to anyone. Although 'Ultraviolet Robot' does sound pretty Era Vulgaris'ey to me. Not that I'm complaining though caused I liked that record. I'll take an evolution of that, or some classic style Queens like they've claimed; either way I'm good to go.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)