Page 93 of 150 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 103 143 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,790 of 4490

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I wonder how much of this is on Rick Rubin and/or an urge for spontaneity. The mix is just a mess and the cracks in the vocals are just perplexing, coming from someone who used to do countless takes and put the best syllables together.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Same repetitive lyric format Billy adopted on Monuments album that he thought would gain him mainstream love. The vocal delivery is shit. More uninspired, souless, nonsense. It's a shame because Ogilala kinda felt like Billy might actually deliver some decent lyrics with some emotion this time around. Personally I am not a fan of Ogilala due to the fact that I can't really stand current Billy with just an acoustic guitar or current Billy and just a piano. He can't deliver another Blank Page or Stumbleine. But the lyrics on Ogilala were at least somewhat of a step up from the crap pop lyric style he used on Monuments.

This is really just a leftover from that era, a Monuments b-side with Jimmy on the drums being repackaged for the reunion. I don't hear Iha on this at all nor do I actually think he is on it. Not surprised it's the usual mindless crap Billy thinks will somehow get him fame again with today's audience. Even Jimmy's performance sounds forced like he's trying his all to make this shit track more interesting, but goes overboard with fills and flams. It just doesn't work.

After a dozen listens, yeah I forced myself to listen to it that much to give it proper judgment, this song is mediocre at best. A b-side to a crap album. This definitely does not excite me at all for future releases and I'm glad I passed on this reunion. Just a thimble of some emotion in Billy's performance would be nice. Just an ounce of some soul and feeling. This is just bland.

The whole recording process seemed rushed from the get-go. I bet D'arcy wouldn't have given her blessing with this track if she was a part of the band. Billy needs her back for an honest reaction and critique. This is definitely not the big comeback single they desperately need to justify this faux reunion 2.0 tour. It scares me that Billy chose THIS as the lead single to their big comeback. Like seriously, this is the best you got to offer?

I believe this tour will go out with a whimper. Almost doubtful we'll get a second EP if this continues to be the fan response to newer music. I'm sure this will shake Billy a little as reviews seem to be almost unanimously negative.
    Last edited by neorev; 06-08-2018 at 07:50 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Starz 2, but sooooo much more annoying. Happy to hear Jimmyisms all over but that's it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Why do Billy's vocals sit so weird in the mix post-Machina? Something feels... off

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    He's gotta feel like he's the center of it all I guess? Doing his own backing vocals doesn't help either. Way too high up in the mix.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just heard and.... eh... I like Jimmy's drumming but that's it.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Some really love it. I said it was bad and a bunch of people got on my shit for being negative. They're out there.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Some really love it. I said it was bad and a bunch of people got on my shit for being negative. They're out there.
    Ugh.... what's wrong with these morons? Just because you didn't like it. That's not your fault. It's Billy's fault that it sucks. I just thought it was.... eh....

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Ugh.... what's wrong with these morons? Just because you didn't like it. That's not your fault. It's Billy's fault that it sucks. I just thought it was.... eh....
    Typical cuck fanboys who shame people for not liking it. And they instantly go to the "it's not 1995 anymore, move on". Someone had a good comeback of "it's not 2007 anymore. Zeitgeist already happened". Something like that.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @Jon
    Fixed

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I've seen some frigging absurd posts on YouTube calling Monuments track a Machina type track and Solara is like MCIS pt. 2 and other whacky shit. Some of these people, I have to question their tastes... and sanity.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I’m disgusted by this song.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Billy's vocals are the one thing that's stopping me from really getting into SP. The back catalogue is so vast but I just can't handle those nasal vocals.

This new track I did check out and I just can't listen to it for Billy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It’s a good pop song. Verse chorus verse type ya know.

what makes this song better than most recent ones is that it’s not wearing out it’s welcome. A few of those Monuments and Oceania songs could have been a minute or half shorter and been much better.

Dont get me wrong, when billy and Co work on long ones, they’re epic and I love that more, but for these, especially with no solo, keep it short is key.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well I must say, the performance of Solara on Jimmy Fallon was way fucking better than the studio version. Iha had some awesome little additional guitar leads not on the studio version. Much more powerful. I hate the studio version, but if Billy can find a way to capture this performance and release this instead, I'd listen to it... or just scrap the studio mix and release this Fallon performance.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Well I must say, the performance of Solara on Jimmy Fallon was way fucking better than the studio version. Iha had some awesome little additional guitar leads not on the studio version. Much more powerful. I hate the studio version, but if Billy can find a way to capture this performance and release this instead, I'd listen to it... or just scrap the studio mix and release this Fallon performance.
    I don't hate the studio version, but I don't love it, either. Overall, I'd say I do like the song fine, but at the same time, it's nothing special coming from the guys who wrote songs like Porcelina of the Vast Oceans, Cherub Rock, Toinight, Tonight, Mayonaise, Thirty-Three, 1979, etc... They probably should have made sure that the first single released after announcing a gigantic, expensive (semi)reunion arena tour was something epic and amazing that at least comes close to recapturing some of the magic these three guys had in spades back in their prime, which Solara lacks (and hey, easier said than done). That might also be an unrealistic expectation, as it's been nearly 20 years and they probably need some time to rebuild their musical relationship as well as their friendship. However, I definitely agree that this live performance injected more personality into the song, making it more memorable and less "generic" or "forgettable," as some have said. I do think Solara has been treated a bit more harshly than it really deserves (especially on Netphoria!). The fact that it's a leftover from the shelved Day For Night album originally meant to follow the mostly mediocre Monuments to an Elegy isn't exactly winning it any points, though. Hopefully those other seven songs come considerably closer to recapturing that classic Pumpkins spirit, or at least as close as Oceania, which in my opinion was the best album since Adore (yes, that includes Machina).

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Oh good....another performance of Zero. Thank god we have that.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I dunno... showing a little more enthusiasm on a nationwide television performance would probably help their reunion case a lot.
    They all look like they totally don't wanna be there.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

This is better than the studio version? I don't think so.
    I'm feeling something's ain't right...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I dunno... showing a little more enthusiasm on a nationwide television performance would probably help their reunion case a lot.
    They all look like they totally don't wanna be there.
    Who would want to be there? It is Jimmy Fallon after all!

I'm in the minority. I think this sounds waaaaayyyy better live than the studio recording.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    for sure better than studio... i wanted those little solos in there lol

#youtube2mp3riptime (terrible fallon joke)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Sounds better live, i did liked "Solara", but it's nothing to scream about, at least it sounds better than most of the "Teagarden..." stuff...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 06-12-2018 at 09:35 AM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Yeah, that settles it for me. The song was perfectly salvageable, fuck Rick Rubin, he didn't produce shit. James saves it.

That said they did seem a little off and Zero was definitely phoned in. Jimmy straight up looked bored back there at one point during it. They were definitely all into Solara more.

Maybe the mixed reaction to the song has Bill shook. He was absolutely off, really nervous through much of it. You can see him try to get himself back on track a little towards the end of Zero after that incredibly lazy "Pow". His vocals need a lot of work. It's like he's trying to find a comfortable medium and can't quite get there.

James was the best part of this without hyperbole.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Ya couldn't pay me to see them in Columbus.

Billy can be all of the asshole he wants to be as a person, but he's just not the same frontman, especially not where it counts (his voice/voice style).

Someone PM when something goes incredibly right with this band... lol I can't hang with this stuff.

\\

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It's Zeitgeist all over again. Got some decent songs that don't get their due until you hear them live. Much better. James really salvaged it. As for Rubin, he's useless and needs to retire. He contributes nothing.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Chamberlain's drumming is also great, to me it's him and Iha the only reason this "reunion" isn't a complete shitshow, Corgan looks so bored and unmotivated (even more than usual...)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ive always felt they look disinterested, i kinda expect that from them - its their "thing" (at least to me') - especially james. i thought they sounded great and my expectations were extremely low, surprised by the negative reactions here. billys voice sounded strong (and we know he has his off moments more often that not live) and james/jimmy seemed spot on.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm with you @center27j cuz I did not like Solara and found this performance the better of any of the post original line up incarnations of the band. I do believe Billy may have been a little shaken from the response. Rick Rubin definitely ruined this song in its studio form. I do think Billy could take his vocal performance up a notch, but I much rather listen to this Fallon performance than the studio version. I hate the track a hell of a lot less here. There's more life in it than the sterile studio mix.