Page 150 of 150 FirstFirst ... 50 100 140 148 149 150
Results 4,471 to 4,490 of 4490

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Fuck artificial scarcity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not related to any previous discussion, but I was listening to Machina II this evening, and I think the version of Speed Kills on there might be by favorite Pumpkins song ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzkokehead View Post
    Not related to any previous discussion, but I was listening to Machina II this evening, and I think the version of Speed Kills on there might be by favorite Pumpkins song ever.
    Speaking of Machina, has there been any new updates on the whole remaster collection with the 80 + songs Billy said would be on it? I keep trying to ask that question on his IG and he never responds.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookster426 View Post
    Speaking of Machina, has there been any new updates on the whole remaster collection with the 80 + songs Billy said would be on it? I keep trying to ask that question on his IG and he never responds.
    radio silence for a couple years now, ever since they finished remixing/rerecording/overdubbing audio (of which billy posted lots of updates on his insta).

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Aaand now pumpkins are looking for a 3rd guitarist via open audition(?)
    I'm sure there will be a long line formed in 10 minutes even if they'd simply asked around through friends, agents and labels... But I guess Billy wants to hire someone totally unknown who would not ask for big bucks and can be axed off easily like Mike

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I've told this story before but it was many years ago, so sharing it again for the young 'uns.

A friend and I were on a European trip in late 2000. In Berlin for a week we saw posters that the Smashing Pumpkins were playing a few days later. We tried to get tickets but they were sold out.

The next day we were doing the tourist thing at the Checkpoint Charlie museum and - to our shock - most of the Pumpkins (everyone except Billy) were there too! They weren't being mobbed, most people didn't appear to recognize them.

But my friend and I went up, introduced ourselves, and made a connection: we're Canadian and so is Melissa auf der Maur, who was playing bass for them at that time. She responded very well to this, was very friendly. She asked if we were going to the show. We said we couldn't get tickets. Melissa said no problem and took our names for the will-call guest list!

So a few days later we saw this show with an arena full of very sweaty, excited Germans, for free. It was great.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Forget getting another guitar player.

What this band needs is Butch Vig or someone like him.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    "Block of the day! People need to stop living in the past! Tired of zombies reducing our legacy to just two/three records... But also! New record is the heaviest and most guitar driven record in years! Totally evokes Siamese Dream, MCIS and Machina!" -- William Patrick Corgan (probably)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Forget getting another guitar player.

An editor for sure...

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Two things happened yesterday.

One of them is that I finally dedicated an entire evening to Atum, which I listened to for the first time. Yes, I am that slow with new records lately. (I was waiting for all three parts to come out and then I forgot). It was honestly not a good experience... So much filler on this record, even Cyr seemed more balanced to me in that regard. I know it will grow on me somewhat, but it needs time.

Couldn't stop myself from laughing out loud at some of the tracks (Hooray and some others, I forgot the titles). A few ones were nice, but fans need to stop proclaiming every new track with a hint of old cybermetal guitar "their best work since <whatever>." All this new material is OK at best.

And then I went ahead and bought ticket to Paris show. If setlist is half as good as last year's tour, it's gonna be a blast, plus I need to see them in a non-festival setting. Tom Morello is opening.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post

One of them is that I finally dedicated an entire evening to Atum, which I listened to for the first time. Yes, I am that slow with new records lately. (I was waiting for all three parts to come out and then I forgot). It was honestly not a good experience... So much filler on this record, even Cyr seemed more balanced to me in that regard. I know it will grow on me somewhat, but it needs time.

Couldn't stop myself from laughing out loud at some of the tracks (Hooray and some others, I forgot the titles). A few ones were nice, but fans need to stop proclaiming every new track with a hint of old cybermetal guitar "their best work since <whatever>." All this new material is OK at best.

And then I went ahead and bought ticket to Paris show. If setlist is half as good as last year's tour, it's gonna be a blast, plus I need to see them in a non-festival setting. Tom Morello is opening.
    I'm impressed you made it all the way through ATUM. I have not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post

Did you track down and listen to Zodeon at Crystal Hall yet? That was supposed to get a digital release sometime around now. It's very different than the rest of Atum.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I honestly preferred ATUM. Magdalena's a good track though.

BC just said on his socials that there's a series of ten archival releases in the works. And that the next album will he guitar driven "without a single synth"

We'll see. I want to be enthused and interested but I guess I've hit the point with SP where I honestly can't believe in anything until it materializes.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    It's been said countless of times: the problem isn't with the synths. People love Adore. Problem is he needs a goddamn producer, and a someone who isn't just a yes-man like Rick Rubin.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Oh, I know. I don't think the synths themselves are necessarily a problem - if there is one, I'd say it's in how they've been approached - not so much like Adore and Machina where it feels like they're being used to create texture and soundscapes, but more to directly emulate faux-retro 60's or 80's bleepy-bloopy noises, which can get tiresome. And I say that as someone who'll defend Oceania as a respectable album, I thought they were used to pretty good effect there.

I still say his greatest obstacle is his intentional self-obfuscation in terms of his lyrics; he's sensitive and doesn't take criticism well, so he hides his feelings behind a veil of flowery language, and has for a long, long time now. I wouldn't have guessed Oceania was a song addressing the end of a relationship, though now that I know a few of the lyrics address it - but only a few.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    We found it perfectly suitable background music for our co-op DOS2 run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I honestly preferred ATUM. Magdalena's a good track though.

BC just said on his socials that there's a series of ten archival releases in the works. And that the next album will he guitar driven "without a single synth"

We'll see. I want to be enthused and interested but I guess I've hit the point with SP where I honestly can't believe in anything until it materializes.
    One of those archival releases better be the Machina remasters.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookster426 View Post
    One of those archival releases better be the Machina remasters.
    It's one release with 10 LPs from the sound of it, and the archivals are unrelated to the box set reissues. This is basically guaranteed to be unrelated to the Machina box. We must continue dreaming.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I think we're going to dream forever.

"Vinyl pressing plants are backed up" was what, two years ago now? It's either the label doesn't want to put it out, or BC doesn't.

I keep thinking back to a video filmed on the Zeitgeist tour where after a show, someone asked why he wasn't playing 1979 and his response was "because people like you keep asking for it."

I can't help but suspect/wonder if it doesn't come out specifically because nobody's telling him his new shit is the best ever. "Don't give me what I want and I won't give you whatyou want."

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    REJOICE! What fans have been waiting for so long is just around the corner!

BILLY CORGAN To Star In New Unscripted Series About His Life

NWA announced a new partnership with television network The CW to air their programs, and tucked away in that announcement is the revelation that Corgan will participate in a reality TV show (mainly) focused on his wrestling career. A press release puts it as such: “A brand new unscripted untitled series about Corgan’s life, family, role as President of NWA, and his ‘day job’ will also debut on The CW later this year.” It will apparently offer “unprecedented vignette into every dimension of his world with unparalleled candor.”