Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66
Results 1,951 to 1,957 of 1957

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This was such a pleasant listen. At a time when I kind of needed it.

Something about Billy just stripped down, pounding it out on the keys I found to be very authentic and refreshing. It still came from a relatively happy place, but wasn't afraid to go into some sad corners either.

This is an artist that has been pretty beaten up, torn down, frustrated and unable to find his place in the music world the last decade, and it's like he finally stopped caring about defining that and just approached this as this organic outlet for being ok with where he is now.

I'm not going to sit here and say its anything transcendent, or that it's a wild ride of variation you come to expect with most of his work, but it was an honest, coherent, and genuinely lovely effort that stands up there with the best post reunion work like American Gothic, the residency cuts, and the best of Oceania.

I very much look forward to catching him on this tour.

Wherever he and the SP name go after this, Ogilala is a worthy detour on WPC's path to get back home again. He might be closer than ever.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    For the curious, he's mentioned again in a Billboard interview when asked about the Zwan box, that he "would want to put out Machina I and II" before that happened. So that's not forgotten and maybe Zwan's not off the table. Says he's also written another record for maybe next year, doesn't discount new Pumpkins music next year concurrent with all the rumors, etc. Says jokingly that everybody as Spin's on cocaine.

After a week of listening I'm still enjoying the hell out of this.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Recent interview links.

He's saying all sorts of really intriguing stuff about how he looks back on Oceania as good, not great, talking about how he's re-examining what he did with the original band versus 2.0 and afterward. Has had a lot of positive feedback on the new album, it seems.

-“I just feel like we’ve reached a point where – and I’m saying collectively ‘we’, whoever is still interested, and me on the other side – the generational memory of the band obliterates the reality of the band. And only the band can change that. I can’t change that. I’m not powerful enough to change it. I tried, I failed. Only the band’s alchemy can change that formula."

-Quote from D'Arcy while Billy was apologizing to her recently: "Billy. You wrote so many great songs, we never would've done that without you being that way. We were lazy, we were misguided. You had to be that way."

And the first shows of this tour have some fucking serious surprises:

Cannot fucking WAIT for the Toronto show Friday. I'm flabbergasted. It's starting to be a good time to be an SP fan again I think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Gossamer is my favorite post-Machina song

Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    controversial opinion - "glass and the ghost children" is my favorite SP song, and may be the best song billy ever wrote.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Controversial opinion: The Pumpkins were my favorite band for many years, but I've never cared much for the second half of Machina or most of Machina II. I honestly like Oceania better than Machina II. I loved nearly every song they released from Gish to Adore, though.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Man, why was this track never released? Get the origin band back and record this fucker right here...