Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 1999

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This was such a pleasant listen. At a time when I kind of needed it.

Something about Billy just stripped down, pounding it out on the keys I found to be very authentic and refreshing. It still came from a relatively happy place, but wasn't afraid to go into some sad corners either.

This is an artist that has been pretty beaten up, torn down, frustrated and unable to find his place in the music world the last decade, and it's like he finally stopped caring about defining that and just approached this as this organic outlet for being ok with where he is now.

I'm not going to sit here and say its anything transcendent, or that it's a wild ride of variation you come to expect with most of his work, but it was an honest, coherent, and genuinely lovely effort that stands up there with the best post reunion work like American Gothic, the residency cuts, and the best of Oceania.

I very much look forward to catching him on this tour.

Wherever he and the SP name go after this, Ogilala is a worthy detour on WPC's path to get back home again. He might be closer than ever.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    For the curious, he's mentioned again in a Billboard interview when asked about the Zwan box, that he "would want to put out Machina I and II" before that happened. So that's not forgotten and maybe Zwan's not off the table. Says he's also written another record for maybe next year, doesn't discount new Pumpkins music next year concurrent with all the rumors, etc. Says jokingly that everybody as Spin's on cocaine.

After a week of listening I'm still enjoying the hell out of this.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Recent interview links.

He's saying all sorts of really intriguing stuff about how he looks back on Oceania as good, not great, talking about how he's re-examining what he did with the original band versus 2.0 and afterward. Has had a lot of positive feedback on the new album, it seems.

-“I just feel like we’ve reached a point where – and I’m saying collectively ‘we’, whoever is still interested, and me on the other side – the generational memory of the band obliterates the reality of the band. And only the band can change that. I can’t change that. I’m not powerful enough to change it. I tried, I failed. Only the band’s alchemy can change that formula."

-Quote from D'Arcy while Billy was apologizing to her recently: "Billy. You wrote so many great songs, we never would've done that without you being that way. We were lazy, we were misguided. You had to be that way."

And the first shows of this tour have some fucking serious surprises:

Cannot fucking WAIT for the Toronto show Friday. I'm flabbergasted. It's starting to be a good time to be an SP fan again I think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Gossamer is my favorite post-Machina song

Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    controversial opinion - "glass and the ghost children" is my favorite SP song, and may be the best song billy ever wrote.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Controversial opinion: The Pumpkins were my favorite band for many years, but I've never cared much for the second half of Machina or most of Machina II. I honestly like Oceania better than Machina II. I loved nearly every song they released from Gish to Adore, though.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Man, why was this track never released? Get the original,band back and record this fucker right here...
    Last edited by neorev; 10-20-2017 at 12:08 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Controversial opinion:
    TheFutureEmbrace is an extremely underrated album that has a fair amount of really good tunes.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post

Jimmy is not a mortal man.
    Ain't no coincidence his initials are JC. My Lord and Savior!!

Maybe my first drumming influence, back in 1996, before I even began drumming.
    Last edited by Amaro; 10-20-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    So the absolute horror shitshow that has been the world of Marilyn Manson over the past few days blindsided me, but I'll report in now and say that I had a really, really fucking good time in Toronto the other night. Billy started out kind of crabby, and all but dismissed one guy up front who yelled up that the lights were too blinding (he was right). But he was in mostly good form, his mood improved as the night went on. No Gossamer, but we got two Machina tunes so I was more than happy. Someone kept shouting out Spaceboy, and he made cracks about having a toy monkey wind-up latch on his back, but he eventually acquiesced. When the crowd started really chanting his name - Billy, not William - he had a great big grin on his face. Last song of the night, Farewell and Goodnight, he had to restart a few times as audience comments had him laughing.

And he covered Miley Cyrus so that's all over youtube now and it was amazing:

What a great show.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 10-24-2017 at 12:57 PM. Reason: typo derp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I expected the Miley cover to be cringe-worthy at best, but it surprisingly worked much better than I expected and lends itself to his singing style pretty well.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    He did it for Fallon as well:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Over the last few nights, BC's broken out a few unreleased solo numbers: Come Undone, Columbus, and last night, Chicago. There's also been a number called Full Sail which was one of the ones he brought up on the SP nexus for DFN

But dig this:

JC, Teamrock interview:

""We’re talking about maybe recording next year with the Pumpkins and I want to make sure [if that happens] that I bring some really different stuff to the table."

*Happy smile, hyperventilating through nose*

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Wants to put out more acoustic records, possibly of older songs:

"“I’ve already written another album to follow up Ogilala, which is just sitting there. The difficulty is working out how this music fits in the world. It’s not easy to get on the radio and all those traditional things - it's hard to market. My great hope is that it will be well enough received that it’ll allow me to do another record. I’d also like to do sessions where I record a lot of my old songs but in acoustic form. So over the next five years I would release 150-200 acoustic versions of my songs. I’ve released 300 so far and there is another 100 that haven’t been released. I could release that on my own label or something. Over time I could compile an alternate record of my songs - acoustic or piano versions as opposed to the more band-like versions. There are a lot of good songs there that have been overlooked because of the time or the production."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Jesus christ I hope he has meds for his ADHD

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Wants to put out more acoustic records, possibly of older songs:

"“I’ve already written another album to follow up Ogilala, which is just sitting there. The difficulty is working out how this music fits in the world. It’s not easy to get on the radio and all those traditional things - it's hard to market. My great hope is that it will be well enough received that it’ll allow me to do another record. I’d also like to do sessions where I record a lot of my old songs but in acoustic form. So over the next five years I would release 150-200 acoustic versions of my songs. I’ve released 300 so far and there is another 100 that haven’t been released. I could release that on my own label or something. Over time I could compile an alternate record of my songs - acoustic or piano versions as opposed to the more band-like versions. There are a lot of good songs there that have been overlooked because of the time or the production."
    funny, he mentioned having a new record ready to go last night at the show here in SF, i was wondering if he was serious since he often trolls us, hopefully he is.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    funny, he mentioned having a new record ready to go last night at the show here in SF, i was wondering if he was serious since he often trolls us, hopefully he is.
    What with him performing Full Sail lately I'm laying good odds on him keeping more Day For Night holdovers for his next solo outing, is my bet. He's realized he'll never get any form of acclaim for SP works without the original band present so it looks to me like he's playing it safe and wisely putting stuff out under his own name for now.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    A member of Netphoria said he went to the London Drum Show to see Jimmy Chamberlain perform and this happened...

So I'm at the London Drum Show today to see JC perform. Being the mad-schools JC fan I am I rock up UBER early to be front and centre. JC is there, setting up his Sakae kit with some dudes in London Drum Show t-shirts.

Drum show guy asks about the Pumpkins.

JC says they're recording next year.

Drum show guy clarifies - you mean the Complex?

JC say no man, the Pumpkins. Original line up.

...I think I just came a little.

I figured they were aiming to do something for the band's 30th anniversary. They did technically form in 1988.
    Last edited by neorev; 11-11-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rushed on here to post exactly that.

Folks, we're going to be living in a world where Machina is no longer the final classic Pumpkins album.

Fuck me.

I will see some of you fine folks in the states because I am hopping whatever fucking buses I have to down there in order to be there at the first reunion performance.

Last edited by Shadaloo; 11-11-2017 at 05:32 PM. Reason: *classic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Controversial opinion:
    TheFutureEmbrace is an extremely underrated album that has a fair amount of really good tunes.
    That isn't a controversial opinion...that is a FACT.
    I saw him on tour for TFE, and it was a fantastic show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    A member of Netphoria said he went to the London Drum Show to see Jimmy Chamberlain perform and this happened...

...I think I just came a little.

I figured they were aiming to do something for the band's 30th anniversary. They did technically form in 1988.
    The concept of a NEW Pumpkins album by the original band (not just Billy and his hired hands) is incredibly exciting and I can't wait to hear the first real pumpkins record since 2000, but the idea of seeing the original lineup live... that is something I've dreamed of for 20 years!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I really want the band to succeed and deliver a classic fucking album. Please universe let the stars align...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    From the Joe Rogen interview, I get the vibe that Billy seeing Guns N' Roses original members getting back together and touring successfully may have inspired him somewhat to get the original Pumpkins back together.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Chinese Democracy indeed! Thank you Axl!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    If true, then there is your worldwide festival headliner throughout 2018 & 2019.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    If true, then there is your worldwide festival headliner throughout 2018 & 2019.
    I just hope it won't be too hard to buy tickets. I imagine that interest and demand will likely be high with all four original memebers reuniting, but then again, SP aren't anywhere near as relevant/popular as they used to be 15-20 years ago and the previous "reunion" in 2007 may have soured a lot of people on the band. But yeah, it will be BIG news and I think you may be right about them being festival headliners throughout 2018 & 2019. They will need some decent new material to not seem like a nostalgia act, though.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I regret not going to see them in 2013 when they were finishing Oceania tour in Europe. (I had some logistical issues). I imagine tickets will be more expensive and hard to get the next time they come anywhere close to me.
    I'm glad to see they're going to record new music though. I was afraid the reunion tour is gonna be a Gish/Siamese/MCIS circlejerk with Ava and SIYL thrown in. Hopefully they'll play something from SP2/3 as well.