Page 56 of 150 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 106 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 4497

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    -I couldn't give two shits if they played Astral Planes for 15 minutes if it meant I got to see the original band

-That said I wouldn't start expecting Bodies or anything. (Billy hasn't done that one since 2008 anyway and he can't scream like he used to anymore). I'd advise everyone to settle in for a nice Greatest Hits™ package with Silverfuck as a closer, odds are. This will be a "The band you love playing the songs you love!" tour. I anticipate a certain focus on stuff up to MCIS...if we're lucky, maybe Starla, Fuck You or Set The Ray To Jerry. Stuff off Adore or Machina would be awesome but I wouldn't hold my breath.

-Gish is better than everything post-2000. Fight me and I'll cut you
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 07-30-2016 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    -I couldn't give two shits if they played Astral Planes for 15 minutes if it meant I got to see the original band

-That said I wouldn't start expecting Bodies or anything. (Billy hasn't done that one since 2008 anyway and he can't scream like he used to anymore). I'd advise everyone to settle in for a nice Greatest Hits™ package with Silverfuck as a closer, odds are. This will be a "The band you love playing the songs you love!" tour I anticipate a certain focus on stuff up to MCIS...if we're lucky, maybe Starla, Fuck You or Set The Ray To Jerry. Stuff off Adore or Machina would be awesome but I wouldn't hold my breath.

-Gish is better than everything post-2000. Fight me and I'll cut you
    IDK. Guns N' Roses play four Chinese Democracy era songs a night. Iron Maiden play a few Blaze Bayley era songs. I don't see why The Pumpkins wouldn't play some post Machina era songs. Billy has made it clear he doesn't want to me a nostalgia act.

RE: Gish. I like it a lot and it shows great potential, but it's the SP album that I listen to the least.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Billco tends to flip-flop. I honestly wouldn't mind hearing United States or Oceania, but lately I feel like he's been showing signs of coming around to the notion that SP's classic period was their best. When he took TFE and Zeitgeist off of Spotify I had thought it was in preparation for the reissues, but god knows.

When Bill goes in on something, he goes all in and does so in a calculating fashion. This tour, assuming it happens is going to be so 90's you'll want your MTV all over again. He'll be a nostalgia act if the price is right.

Gish: I Am One, Rhinoceros, Siva, Crush, Bury Me....fantastic, fantastic album.

The SP album I listen to the least?...guess that depends on whether you count Teargarden, though I'm honestly not sure if I've listened to that or Monuments less. I think I've made it through Monuments maybe four or five times.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 07-30-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Billco tends to flip-flop. I honestly wouldn't mind hearing United States or Oceania, but lately I feel like he's been showing signs of coming around to the notion that SP's classic period was their best. When he took TFE and Zeitgeist off of Spotify I had thought it was in preparation for the reissues, but god knows.

When Bill goes in on something, he goes all in and does so in a calculating fashion. This tour, assuming it happens is going to be so 90's you'll want your MTV all over again. He'll be a nostalgia act if the price is right.

Gish: I Am One, Rhinoceros, Siva, Crush, Bury Me....fantastic, fantastic album.

The SP album I listen to the least?...guess that depends on whether you count Teargarden, though I'm honestly not sure if I've listened to that or Monuments less. I think I've made it through Monuments maybe four or five times.
    Those Teargarden EPs are really the only SP material I never listen to.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I couldn't give two shits if it was old band or SP 2.0 as long as they played Astral Planes for 15 minutes. God I love that song.

Fight me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The "nostalgia" act for the sake of being a reunion tour and to make more money isn't as easy to achieve as you would think. I spoke to Billy Corgan earlier this year and he said there's a lot of conflicted feelings over that particular subject. His words: "when does the art rock band become the pop rock band and when does the pop rock band become the art rock band?" How important is it to please the fans and the critics who always want to hear the radio hits while at the same time not sacrificing your art and self integrity? What about when you play the hits but not exactly as the fans know them? Is it wrong to let live performances evolve and grow if that means pissing off your casual fans? These are some things he brought up and you can tell he is torn about these topics. He then literally played Disarm on a keyboard that night and I don't think anyone knew what it was. Lol.
    Last edited by captainbeyond; 08-07-2016 at 04:47 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    A few years ago he bought a bunch of cheap record players, wrote Disarm lyrics on them, then sold them for $300 a pop through his teahouse store.

Artistic integrity indeed

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Recent comments from BC indicate "I didn't say anything about a reunion, I don't know where people are getting that".

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    As much as I love "1979," "Tonight, Tonight," "Bullet With Butterfly Wings," and "Stand Inside Your Love," I am now convinced that "Glass and the Ghost Children" is the greatest song Billy Corgan has written. Truly an underrated masterpiece in my opinion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    As much as I love "1979," "Tonight, Tonight," "Bullet With Butterfly Wings," and "Stand Inside Your Love," I am now convinced that "Glass and the Ghost Children" is the greatest song Billy Corgan has written. Truly an underrated masterpiece in my opinion.
    Duuude. I had always listened to that song and I guess it hadn't clicked yet. Then I saw them play it live and the intro was extended and trippy as hell! I'm pretty sure I was peaking on LSD and the full moon was directly over the stage. Airliners were flying over all night from random angles. An airliner flew over directly center above the stage, past the full moon, and then straight into the path of where 3 spotlights on the ground were shining up at. A reflection of the lights beamed down very split second like a richochet from the metal body of the plane. I remember hearing a collective "woaaahhh!"

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I am now convinced that "Glass and the Ghost Children" is the greatest song Billy Corgan has written. Truly an underrated masterpiece in my opinion.
    The semi-acoustic arrangement on the Machina tour was the best version, imo. The melodies and solos are way better. Hell of a way to open a show. I guess his rant at the ending was a bit much, but then there's always a rant song...

And I don't think any of those songs you listed are in the same category. The only competition for GATGC would be stuff like Porcelina, Ruby, Silverfuck, Gossamer. They're all pretty equally great. Sucks that BC lost all ambition.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    It's good that he came out and clarified shit, and I'm glad that they all seem to have buried the hatchet.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This definitely will happen won't it. Holy shit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    As much as I wanted news of an actual Reunion, this is almost as good. It makes me feel wonderful to know all those mean spirited feelings between all of them are being resolved.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    gonna be "will they won't they will they won't they" for the next 6 or so months I'd imagine.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    gonna be "will they won't they will they won't they" for the next 6 or so months I'd imagine.
    Probably. Gotta build that hype!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uraki14 View Post
    As much as I wanted news of an actual Reunion, this is almost as good. It makes me feel wonderful to know all those mean spirited feelings between all of them are being resolved.
    This is how I feel ultimately -- I only want a reunion if they're all getting along and the chemistry and enthusiasm as a band is there. If I do pay whatever weird amount the tickets are going to be, I want to see a happy, in-the-zone band, not four people begrudgingly saving face because the paycheck is too irresistible.

I know that everybody expects that it'd almost exclusively be pre-Zeitgeist material, but I'd really be interested in what they could all bring to the table for songs like Oceania or Gossamer or United States.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I feel like it's a matter of time, and I'm pretty sure Bill thinks so too (re: his comment on not wanting to rush into things). I'm in that boat; as much as I'd give my left nut to see them all play together again (thus righting a sixteen-year old wrong of mine), I'd want this only if they all really, really want to do it.

Seriously, at this point:
    -D'Arcy saying she'd come back if conditions were right
    -Jimmy reminiscing on Twitter over the last time they all played together
    -James doing a few shows during the last tour

Well...hard not to think they'd not all be onboard.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The cowboy hat in the "Perfect" music video was a really poor decision.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Bill just had a live broadcast:

-Solo record in the works to be finished up, collaborating with Rick Rubin, 12-13 songs. No set release date yet.
    -SP will tour next year. "Who will be on stage? Who knows."
    -Feels ready to write rock and roll music again. Probably something in the vein of Gish and SD. "Looks like I'll have to get Jimmy back on the phone...and maybe some other people who used to be in the band too."
    -Will start releasing archival stuff from 88-92 on Vinyl & Digital. "Limited Edition type stuff." Some stuff on there that may never have been released or bootlegged.

So uh yeah.

YOU FUCKING COCKTEASE

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Bill just had a live broadcast:

-Solo record in the works to be finished up, collaborating with Rick Rubin, 12-13 songs. No set release date yet.
    -SP will tour next year. "Who will be on stage? Who knows."
    -Feels ready to write rock and roll music again. Probably something in the vein of Gish and SD. "Looks like I'll have to get Jimmy back on the phone...and maybe some other people who used to be in the band too."
    -Will start releasing archival stuff from 88-92 on Vinyl & Digital. "Limited Edition type stuff." Some stuff on there that may never have been released or bootlegged.

So uh yeah.

YOU FUCKING COCKTEASE
    I am all for this slow build-up. I love things like this. 1,000,000x better than the utter silence some bands (... not that I'd ever name any, of course ...) engage in and better than jumping the gun way in advance and just outright announcing everything for sure and ruining any sense of surprise or immediacy. I'd hate to go see a reunion tour and feel like the novelty is gone because "Eh, I've known for 16 months now but, hey, I guess it's cool, just wish shirts weren't so expensive."

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Is it safe to say Day for Night is dead in the waters?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Is it safe to say Day for Night is dead in the waters?
    I got the impression he's likely taken things from it and put them into his next solo album, but who knows. @Shadaloo seems to know way more about his livestreams than I do. He's someone who is always writing, recording and stocking things away for later on so who knows what might turn up someplace, right? I just know I need a studio cut of Spaniards, no matter how I get it.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I think it pretty much is. Roustabout got used for that wrestling commercial, Spaniards was touted out on the last tour...I'm guessing the lack of response MTAE got caused him to rethink things a little.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    As much as I wish we could get on with the Machina Remasters, I am definitely glad to hear about early stuff being released. There are so many songs and demos that didn't get a chance during the Gish and Iscariot remasters. I was rather disappointed in the lack of stuff so maybe this will turn around that era. I'd love a great cleaned up Psychodelic and C'mon.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I just hope the next album is approached with a proper album sequence in mind -- Oceania has less songs I listen to in isolation, yet it works great as a full album experience. Monuments is the exact opposite for me -- I don't enjoy it a ton as an album yet several songs in isolation are great. In general I find SP at its best when it's focused on a full record-length listening session -- Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie both feel built for that presentation. Machina has superb flow. Billy's style just doesn't lend itself to a "collection of songs" attitude, in my mind at least.

Also as shit as it is I want to say the whole thing with Machina is thoroughly out of his hands for the time being, otherwise I think we'd have gotten it a while ago now. It's my most-desired thing from him ever so I couldn't want it more, but I'm just glad he's been as transparent as he has about it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I just hope the next album is approached with a proper album sequence in mind -- Oceania has less songs I listen to in isolation, yet it works great as a full album experience. Monuments is the exact opposite for me -- I don't enjoy it a ton as an album yet several songs in isolation are great. In general I find SP at its best when it's focused on a full record-length listening session -- Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie both feel built for that presentation. Machina has superb flow. Billy's style just doesn't lend itself to a "collection of songs" attitude, in my mind at least.

Also as shit as it is I want to say the whole thing with Machina is thoroughly out of his hands for the time being, otherwise I think we'd have gotten it a while ago now. It's my most-desired thing from him ever so I couldn't want it more, but I'm just glad he's been as transparent as he has about it.

And I would love the band to get in the studio with a proper producer again... possibly Butch Vig or even better Flood again. Post original Pumpkins albums tend to crank Billy's vocals way too much.

I imagine Billy is getting the band together for when they get inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame. Of course, it will be great press and promotion for them to tour around something like that.

I must say, I saw Pumpkins recently when they came to Jones Beach in NY with Marilyn Manson. They put on one hell of a show and sounded amazing. I think they can still keep Jeff on guitar with James back. Three guitarist could be quite powerful and help with more technical songs.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I must say, I saw Pumpkins recently when they came to Jones Beach in NY with Marilyn Manson. They put on one hell of a show and sounded amazing. I think they can still keep Jeff on guitar with James back. Three guitarist could be quite powerful and help with more technical songs.
    Yeah, that End Times run was fucking great. Sounded tight, seemed like Billy was really into it at my show in Tampa -- it was an excellent show and one of my life-time favorites, honestly. Three guitars would make that amazing sound of some of the bigger Siamese Dream and Machina songs really possible live, too; I can't imagine how insane Everlasting Gaze and Silverfuck or White Spyder would be with three guitars stacked on top of each other.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 09-09-2016 at 12:31 PM.