Page 75 of 82 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 2436

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

  1. #2221
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    2,493
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    The same set list thing is ridiculous, unless it's a Pink Floyd The Wall show (or in Billy's case, a MCIS show). Big arena tour + song rotation can very well coexist. See: LITS, Tension, Muse tours.

  2. #2222
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    So D'arcy can be like the Steven Adler of the Smashing Pumpkins, when all is said and done

  3. #2223
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    580
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    So D'arcy can be like the Steven Adler of the Smashing Pumpkins, when all is said and done
    That'd be better than her not being involved at all. I feel like that ship may have sailed after all of this drama unfolded very publicly 2 days before the announcement, though.

  4. #2224
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^
    That. I'm sure it's incredibly unfun dealing with a total egomaniac, but D'arcy's not doing herself any favors by airing the dirty laundry so publicly. It feels kind of gross actually.

  5. #2225
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,597
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    from a soundgarden profile in SPIN magazine, 1994



    source

  6. #2226
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    605
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    from a soundgarden profile in SPIN magazine, 1994



    source
    Oh my God nothing has changed.

  7. #2227
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    2,419
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    All of this Billy Corgan/D'arcy Wretzky drama has really left an even more sour impression than I had before from the "Billy Corgan show"
    Bill has rubbed me the wrong way for the last couple years already. I used to love the pumpkins, but then his attitude as of recently has come off even more pompous than usual. I don't think I can support this project in anyway now.

    Not like this "reunion" will come to Vancouver anyway. He already swore off Van as being a place that doesn't sell tickets in 2012. He had the show all booked for months and literally 3 days before the show, he just decided to cancel it for "no reason" and then re-routed his tour and did a "pop-up show" in Missoula, MT on the same night that the cancelled Vancouver show was to take place. completely ignored everyone on social media as to what the reason for cancelling the show was, just to schedule a new show in it's place. It's quite clear nobody was sick or injured. He did it for no reason other than the show sold poorly because he over-estimated the attendance level and booked an arena show on the Oceana tour. As an artist that has an obligation to play a show, you don't just cancel it like that without an explanation, only to go play a different city instead. What a dick.

  8. #2228
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    2,348
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    from a soundgarden profile in SPIN magazine, 1994



    source
    I'm sorry folks, but Billy IS an asshole. He's been one since day one.

    Funnily enough, D'arcy is the one who actually calls him out on it. He seriously needs someone to call him out and reel him back in.

  9. #2229
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Not like this "reunion" will come to Vancouver anyway. He already swore off Van as being a place that doesn't sell tickets in 2012. He had the show all booked for months and literally 3 days before the show, he just decided to cancel it for "no reason" and then re-routed his tour and did a "pop-up show" in Missoula, MT on the same night that the cancelled Vancouver show was to take place. completely ignored everyone on social media as to what the reason for cancelling the show was, just to schedule a new show in it's place. It's quite clear nobody was sick or injured. He did it for no reason other than the show sold poorly because he over-estimated the attendance level and booked an arena show on the Oceana tour. As an artist that has an obligation to play a show, you don't just cancel it like that without an explanation, only to go play a different city instead. What a dick.
    Wow, that is gross. I remember that tour rolled through the greater Detroit area, playing the Palace which was an incredibly inappropriate venue for them at the time. I didn't go, but I suspect they had to have had the upper bowl curtained off. They still didn't cancel though :/

  10. #2230
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ6SuW7RDKI

    Billy boy gettin schooled by the great Nick Cave

  11. #2231
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A warm place
    Posts
    2,136
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Wow. The William Patrick Corgan Lollercopter continues to fly very, very high in 2018.

    This is getting as hilarious as that fake Smiths reunion last month. An event of this magnitude, and it's a classic case of WPC Egoveride on full display. I am ceaselessly amazed at how this guy always manages to top himself in the pudwhack department. It's like a bad life skill he just can't get away from..

  12. #2232
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    In the zone
    Posts
    1,533
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    This thread is giving me lolfluenza.

  13. #2233
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A place both wonderful and strange
    Posts
    1,800
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Rolling Stone: 7 Questions We Still Have about SP's 'Reunion' Tour

    Basically saying what everyone is thinking.

  14. #2234
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    605
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBUicuBd8ow

    This is the one included in the Aeroplane Deluxe boxset? Too bad it's without Jimmy...

  15. #2235
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A place both wonderful and strange
    Posts
    1,800
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    It is, but they absolutely destroy without him regardless. The live TAFH performances in 1997 were insane.

  16. #2236
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    In the zone
    Posts
    1,533
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBUicuBd8ow

    This is the one included in the Aeroplane Deluxe boxset? Too bad it's without Jimmy...
    As much as Jimmy is Jesus Christ, this dude performed killer. Everything’s so tight!

    Thanks for sharing.

  17. #2237
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    2,348
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    As much as Jimmy is Jesus Christ, this dude performed killer. Everything’s so tight!

    Thanks for sharing.
    Matt Walker is the man. Billy also worked with on the music they made for the film Ransom and Adore. I never understood why Billy didn't continue to work with him. Unless Matt had a falling out with him, which I wouldn't be surprised.

  18. #2238
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    2,348
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Rolling Stone: 7 Questions We Still Have about SP's 'Reunion' Tour

    Basically saying what everyone is thinking.
    "With all that in mind, why didn't they sit down with D'arcy much earlier and work through all this? They could have avoided this whole mess instead of raising everyone's expectations."

  19. #2239
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    580
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Rolling Stone: 7 Questions We Still Have about SP's 'Reunion' Tour

    Basically saying what everyone is thinking.
    The final paragraph is spot on. I really hope they can still figure out how to incorporate D'arcy somehow, but she needs to stop leaking shit to the press if she still has ANY interest in a future with the band.

  20. #2240
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,743
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Question for the SP fans- at their peak, we’re they able to sell out arenas? Just wondering since they e been a theatre/club band recently. Also the Manson co-tour seemed to sell pretty poorly- I don’t even think Red Rocks sold out.

    Would Iha returning really spark that much interest, or is this some pipe dream of Billy Corgan in an attempt to be “huge” again. With all due respect it just doesn’t seem like they were ever as bit as say, GnR.

    Ive always liked their music- when it’s good it’s REALLY fucking good. Could never get past Billy Corgan’s voice though. :/

  21. #2241
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    In the zone
    Posts
    1,533
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    The final paragraph is spot on. I really hope they can still figure out how to incorporate D'arcy somehow, but she needs to stop leaking shit to the press if she still has ANY interest in a future with the band.
    If she ever re-joins, I’ll blow myself.

  22. #2242
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    https://www.alternativenation.net/sm...w-in-20-years/

    Now according to Live Nation, Billy is an asshole.
    This whole thing is a fucked up shitstorm.
    As far as I'm concerned, I just want good music that I can enjoy.

  23. #2243
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,395
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    https://www.alternativenation.net/sm...w-in-20-years/

    Now according to Live Nation, Billy is an asshole.
    This whole thing is a fucked up shitstorm.
    As far as I'm concerned, I just want good music that I can enjoy.
    Who cares? D'arcy was the Andrew Ridgeley of The Smashing Pumpkins. Would the new album sound any different had she been involved? She didn't even play on the first two, minus the vocals for Daydream. And I've read the texts, Billy comes across as friendly and eager for her involvement, while she sees aloof. Billy has made some bad decisions and can maybe be at times pretentious and put out sub-par material, but I side with him here.

  24. #2244
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,743
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Read the interview. Conclusion: they both have some ego issues.

  25. #2245
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    5,935
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    So of the icons in the 90s, it seems like Trent, Dave Grohl, and the guys of Pearl Jam have become the most stable acts that are still around and not hung up on nostalgia.

    I've seen Corgan in interviews and even though he does come across as a very intelligent guy. There is an element about him that is quite smug. I guess that song Pavement did many years back was true about the band but it was more about Billy.

  26. #2246
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Honestly, as long as Billy and Jimmy is involved I have no problem with calling it a reunion.
    Billy's songwriting and Jimmy's drumming are what SP is to me.
    James is like Richard Barbieri to Porcupine Tree. With him it sounds much better, but not "essential".

    Yes, I like Zeitgeist, American Gothic and Oceania. Love Gossamer and residency songs.
    Gossamer


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #2247
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    2,348
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I find it funny that people act like Billy was all sunshine and rainbows these last 18 years when discussing the band. This is the dude who literally used the original band's album reissues to bash his fellow band members in the booklet and give himself all the credit. These reissues were meant to celebrate these albums not use them your personal podium to talk crap about your supposed friends aka bandmates. Even in their official residency documentary, he used it to bash James for the credit he gets for helping write "Mayonaise" and "Soma." Billy has said some vicious and horrid things. This is all Billy has done and up until last year he used the Pumpkins name to bash the band and deminish their roles whenever he could in the press. So honestly, if he can't take D'arcy speaking her mind about her side of events, he is a hypocrite. The fact that he couldn't even have the courtesy to actually sit down in person with D'arcy like two human beings before rushing into a full on arena reunion tour speaks volumes. These four haven't played together in 18 frigging years. Jeez, what is wrong with simply hanging and jamming for fun? Honestly, this whole fiasco fell apart because it was rushed instead of maturing naturally. It doesn't feel genuine. It all feels like a quick cash grab rather than four human beings who were once friends coming back together to reconnect and heal and remember that feeling they had playing music together. I think everyone bares a bit of the blame here. I think everyone should take responsibility for their crap and behave like mature adults. As much as I would love to see these four together performing live again, if it's not real and genuine, then I'm not really into it. I don't want to see four people simply tolerating each for a paycheck just because I want to hear them play "Rhinoceros" or "Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans." I want them together because they actually want to be together and make music with each other again. It seems this tour was never really about that.

  28. #2248
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,597
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Matt Walker is the man. Billy also worked with on the music they made for the film Ransom and Adore. I never understood why Billy didn't continue to work with him. Unless Matt had a falling out with him, which I wouldn't be surprised.
    billy has thanksgiving dinner with matt's family every year, they're still tight. (i'm friends with matt and worked with him on a few things a few years back, which is how i know this)

    matt brought a new and different energy to the band that i love. his work on adore is fantastic and he's got a really great stage presence. he's been morrissey's drummer for years now which is generally his main gig. he also does music for commercials and occasionally tv, and plays drums in Sons Of The Silent Age, the bowie tribute band with chris connelly.

  29. #2249
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A place both wonderful and strange
    Posts
    1,800
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    It's too late for me to read the interview. I'll be up for hours, I just know it. And I don't feel like inducing vomiting. One way or another I have a feeling it will.

  30. #2250
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    580
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    It's too late for me to read the interview. I'll be up for hours, I just know it. And I don't feel like inducing vomiting. One way or another I have a feeling it will.
    Eh. If you've been following along so far, you know what to expect.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions