Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67
Results 1,981 to 1,993 of 1993

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    I'll take anything from Gish to Machina. Anything from after should be few and far between. This is about the original line up. What they have done and what they will do together. Billy can honestly just keep that other stuff to his solo tours. I can take Superchrist and Tiberius and leave the rest. Perhaps the original band could rework the later stuff. I would love to hear Tiberius drums all JC-ified.

When I saw them during their co-Manson Elegy tour, Billy picked the worse of Elegy tracks to include.

Without JC in the studio, that drive is just not there that gives SP songs their edge. With out Iha, the atmosphere that wraps around Billy's riffs is gone. This gives me hope for a proper Machina reissue, probably wait til 2020 for its anniversary.

Billy and co. have tons of unreleased material including live concerts. They should just create their own Pumpkins streaming service and give paying fans access to everything.
    Last edited by neorev; 11-12-2017 at 03:27 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volk View Post
    That isn't a controversial opinion...that is a FACT.
    I saw him on tour for TFE, and it was a fantastic show.
    I'm conditioned by 12 years of it being dismissed as forgettable. And the person most directly responsible for that is Billy, for announcing he wanted SP to reunite the same fucking day it came out. :P Only in the last few years have I really come around to putting it in rotation, and for my money, if I listened to it without knowledge of branding, it might have more legitimacy as a "Pumpkins album" than a lot of what followed, though I in no way categorize it as such.

It's also probably a better Depeche Mode album than Depeche Mode put out these days >_>

I wouldn't object to seeing a number of post-2000 SP tracks trotted out if the band can agree on ones they like. There's some good stuff scattered down the path.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This news got me on a Pumpkins kick for the first time in a long time.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    I just hope that if they go in the studio to record like Billy hopes, they do not hire Rick Rubin as producer. They need someone closer to the band. Butch Vig could work, but I'd prefer Flood. It needs to feel like a family reunion in that studio. No outsiders or strangers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I just hope that if they go in the studio to record like Billy hopes, they do not hire Rick Rubin as producer. They need someone closer to the band. Butch Vig could work, but I'd prefer Flood. It needs to feel like a family reunion in that studio. No outsiders or strangers.
    I had not given any consideration to what producer(s) might be involved prior to reading your post, but I could not agree more. Here's hoping for Butch Vig or Flood, but preferably Flood! Rick Rubin is a good producer and everything (and as a recent review of Ogilala pointed out, he's known for encouraging bands to get back to their roots and make return-to-form albums), but I think the family reunion environment you described would be more appropriate and more likely to produce favorable results.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have a feeling it's gonna be Rick Rubin but Flood would be fucking cool

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I'd lay odds on Flood if he's available. I'm worried Billy might have burned his bridges with Butch Vig, who'd be my first choice.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Part of me hopes a reunion show will kick off with I Am One like the 1999 Arising shows - sort of like a "fuck yeah we're back" thing

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I'll take anything from Gish to Machina. Anything from after should be few and far between. This is about the original line up. What they have done and what they will do together. Billy can honestly just keep that other stuff to his solo tours. I can take Superchrist and Tiberius and leave the rest. Perhaps the original band could rework the later stuff. I would love to hear Tiberius drums all JC-ified.

When I saw them during their co-Manson Elegy tour, Billy picked the worse of Elegy tracks to include.

Without JC in the studio, that drive is just not there that gives SP songs their edge. With out Iha, the atmosphere that wraps around Billy's riffs is gone. This gives me hope for a proper Machina reissue, probably wait til 2020 for its anniversary.

Billy and co. have tons of unreleased material including live concerts. They should just create their own Pumpkins streaming service and give paying fans access to everything.
    I thought One and All was pretty fucking good with Jimmy drumming.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    I thought One and All was pretty fucking good with Jimmy drumming.
    Jimmy's drumming definitely did help improve One And All, but the song itself is just too repetitive. Same for Being Beige, just too repetitive. I'd prefer Tiberius and Monuments, which I felt were stronger album tracks. People mock Run To Me, but I honestly think it's one of the stronger tracks that has a nice build up and thought it translated well live, especially with JC. I never liked Drum + Fife, so even with JC on drums couldn't save it for me.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    While getting a new album from the original lineup sounds like a wet dream come true, if I have to listen to Billy tell me how strange his love is one more time I swear to Christ...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I’ve said it many times before, and I’ll say it once again, life’s a bummer when you’re a hummer.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    While getting a new album from the original lineup sounds like a wet dream come true, if I have to listen to Billy tell me how strange his love is one more time I swear to Christ...
    Motherfucker needs to put his copy of Music For The Masses the fuck down. You could make a drinking game out of SP works and have that as a drinkable occurrence at this point. "Take a shot every time he talks about "His love". Three shots if it's strange."

Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I’ve said it many times before, and I’ll say it once again, life’s a bummer when you’re a hummer.
    It really is. Life's a drag.

That honestly is one of my favorite Pumpkins quotes.