Page 16 of 150 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 116 ... LastLast

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Good news and bad news regarding the Adore reissue. Which do you want first? Too bad, good news first...

Straight from Billy:

Some tracks I haven't even heard of...

Oh yeah the bad news.

2013? Nah...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    More anxious for machina reissue. Taking forever. ..

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Well, at least it's an ongoing project, im buyin' !

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    oh man, i was hoping we would get that alternate mix of "Pug" that Flood did... i remember hearing it in the behind the scenes doc for the Adore sessions. it was a really industrial noisy sounding mix of "Pug." list looks alphabetical, but stops around the letter "I," which makes me believe the list goes on for a bit longer. i have to say that this is probably my most anticipated of all the expanded re-releases. "Adore" is my favorite Smashing Pumpkins album and there were a lot of great demos from that era. i loved the balance of band and electronics, only time they truly got it right.
    Last edited by neorev; 09-18-2013 at 05:36 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Waiting is a good thing. It gives me time to save up; from the looks of this I'm going to need to. I know not everything will make the cut but damned if they're not going over all they can.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Now I know my worst decision of the year: not traveling to two Pumpkins shows in Russia in August. They fucking played GOSSAMER.
    I thought they retired it since Jimmy quit?
    Last edited by fillow; 09-23-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Now I know my worst decision of the year: not traveling to two Pumpkins shows in Russia in August. They fucking played GOSSAMER.

I thought they retired it since Jimmy quit?
    nah, they've been peppering it in here and there, mostly in the US shows.

just saw a trailer for the oceania dvd coming out tomorrow. @halo33 and i are apparently in it often. look for the doofus in the paisley shirt in the front row, probably fist pumping away.

Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    oh man, i was hoping we would get that alternate mix of "Pug" that Flood did... .

have you heard this, recently uncovered soon after his death?

i hope this makes it... keep in mind that looks like a page one, since it's alphabetical and cuts out after the letter I...
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 09-23-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I watched the televised version of the Oceania Live @ Barclays show on Palladia, and man, the first few songs the audio sync was way off.
    Thankfully the DVD is spot on. They cut about half of the Oceania segment out of it also. And it was pretty funny how the promos that aired before the commercials showed a subway with text that stated "Smashing Pumpkins" Live in NY, and the subway station was obviously in D.C. Nice job Palladia!

Yes, @frankie teardrop and I are in it quite often and look ridiculous!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    never heard this!
    wow, loving it!
    thanks for posting this, i hope it finds its way on as well

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This Oceania live album is really nice. I felt like I was listening to it for the first time again.
    Some of the songs are apparently better than the album version.
    It's great to have The Dream Machine in studio quality, too.

And now looking forward to the Adore reissue, which is one of my favorite SP albums.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Really looking forward to the Adore deluxe edition as 'Ava Adore' has been my introduction to SP in the 90s. I never owned the album, so I'll cop that one.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i wonder if they're going to press the adore reissue vinyl similar to how they did the original (mono, side D is blank/smooth)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i wonder if they're going to press the adore reissue vinyl similar to how they did the original (mono, side D is blank/smooth)
    they may not do it straight up mono like the first edition, but considering the CD mix isn't anything but glorified mono as is (there's barely any stereo separation for the vast majority of the album), it would still sound similar if they did a stereo pressing. i'm sure they won't leave side D blank though, just based on the fact that they didn't repress MCIS with the same tracklist, so i assume they'll go for more fidelity with Adore and spread it across all 4 sides, mono or not.

super excited for the DVD that will come with Adore, though, probably more than the bonuses and remixes.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    they may not do it straight up mono like the first edition, but considering the CD mix isn't anything but glorified mono as is (there's barely any stereo separation for the vast majority of the album), it would still sound similar if they did a stereo pressing. i'm sure they won't leave side D blank though, just based on the fact that they didn't repress MCIS with the same tracklist, so i assume they'll go for more fidelity with Adore and spread it across all 4 sides, mono or not.

super excited for the DVD that will come with Adore, though, probably more than the bonuses and remixes.
    if i thought i could get any inside info out of him, i'd bug matt walker, but i'm sure billy has asked him to keep tight-lipped...though he did tell me he's definitely working on the reissue with billy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    that barclays show was a lot of fun to be at and they sounded great then. it's nice to see it translated pretty well to dvd. i agree a lot of the new stuff sounded better live.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Adore is definitely my favourite Smashing Pumpkins record, so I'll definitely buy the reissue. Ava Adore is awesome, love it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just watched the Oceania blu ray.

Definitely worth buying and thought Dream Machine was a pretty good track.

Only problem I had was trying to figure out why Billy was wearing such a tight tiny tee, with his tummy and ass crack(during Space Oddity) showing. Not a pleasant sight on blu ray...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm looking forward to hearing Machina I and II as a whole, the way it was meant to be released.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Cover for reissue?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Cover for reissue?

that's the cover for the original vinyl version. i'm hoping they'll use it for the reissue.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Is anyone else's mellon collie and the infinite sadness album quieter than all the other smashing pumpkins records? Original or reissue, both seem to be just audibly quieter than every album before that one and every album after, right? I've gotten multiple copies of the album to be sure....but just wanna make sure im not crazy. Can anyone back me here?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Yeah,my 1995 copy of the album sounds quieter than Siamese Dream or Gish.I always wondered why but I guess it's just the production. You grow to love it,though.
    Anyone else listening to Life Begins Again by the Jimmy Chamberlin Complex? The album is awesome,specially Streetcrawler and Loki Cat.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemonkey613 View Post
    Revisitng Zeitgeist. WTf this album is awesome...
    Always loved this album, sorely underrated IMHO.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Anyone else listening to Life Begins Again by the Jimmy Chamberlin Complex? The album is awesome,specially Streetcrawler and Loki Cat.
    bought it the day it came out and i still love it. i get parts of it stuck in my head on a regular basis.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    When did Jimmy start producing stuff? Pumpkins albums could have been totally different.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    When did Jimmy start producing stuff? Pumpkins albums could have been totally different.
    unfortunately, the album came out 8 years ago, and he hasn't done anything else with the project since.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Apparently,more music was written for future release but the guys in the Complex haven't found a way to make their schedules match yet.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Interview with Buzz Osborne in Consequence of Sound:

It’s almost like an enforced binary where you’re either incredibly serious or find things funny, and there’s no room to mix the two.
    BO: The funny thing is the serious bands you can laugh at more than any of the other ones.
    Speaking of the Pumpkins…
    BO: I don’t know much about them. I’ve never owned any of their records. I’ve never really met them. I’m sure that Billy has his good qualities, and probably if I listened to their entire catalog, I could find 10 minutes of music that I thought was okay, but I’ll probably never do that. Even the worst bands I can find something I like. I really honestly can’t say. I just thought it was funny that when they replaced the band members, gender and race seemed to be issues. It would really have to be explained to me with charts and diagrams exactly how that makes a difference. [Laughs.] Oh well. “We’re going to get the best female bass player we can get.” Oh, really? Why not just get the best bass player? [Laughs.] Maybe you guys could be better. “Guitarist wanted. Nothing but Asian need apply.” Can you imagine? That’s like saying “Guitarist wanted. No Asians.”
    It’s as much Hollywood casting call as it is a band.
    BO: Which I find to be amazing. An all-female band from the ‘90s that will remain nameless, that were having trouble with their drummer, my suggestion to them was, “When you get back to Hollywood, get one of those hair metal drummers. Those guys are usually good. Like a Tommy Lee style drummer, it would improve your band amazingly. That would up the ante. If you had your band with Tommy Lee playing drums, it would be fucking great, because he could play that kind of stuff. There are a million of those kind of kids, get a young guy who’s a real powerhouse kind of drummer.” And they just stared at me like I was nuts, and they go, “If we replace the drummer it’d have to be a girl.” And I was just like, “What the fuck are you talking about? So, gender doesn’t matter until it’s all that matters.” [Laughs.] So much for being good. Don’t you think that kind of stuff is hilarious?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Smashing Pumpkins

Billy is spinning records from his personal 45s collection every Thursday night at Zuzu's, which is about a mile and a half away from me. I should go check this out. And drink some tea.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    The live stuff is THE reason to own this set. Apart form that I'll be sticking with my original for listening purposes.
    I just picked up the set today and plan on listening to it later. I guess I'll stick with my original set as well.

I also bought the Oceania live album. What an awesome tour that was. It was great listening to Oceania live, front to back.